What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Open Discussion on Submitting for Spotlights

2»

Comments

• ajstonerajstoner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Didn't they take this out of tribble because it wasn't ready?
    Did they? Oh, well then there's NO damn excuse, lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited November 2012
    Yeah that was cut a few days before S7 went live. I was very disappointed.

It was speculated earlier, in this thread I believe, that the disappearing NPCs may be related to the fact that we can now make NPCs disappear, lol.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    You know, although this comment isn't directly related to the spotlights, I feel both happy and sad about the work I did testing foundry on Tribble. Because, even though I only spent a small bit of time testing, the sometimes disappearing contacts and the odd pathing work with patrols just breaking were my only two bug reports... they are also apparently the two big things that went wrong with the update. :/

On the topic of the spotlights though, although I do NOT stand by Kirk's comments on just leaving the Foundry "as is" and no longer updating, I do think that the concerns brought up show the scale that would come up with the spotlighted missions under your stewardship. That even though we are making this seasonal update process more streamlined and better every go (I still love the slow scale up; Missions tested for critical breaks, Missions published without review ability, Editing Options Open up, then Review options open up.) Every season there will be something that may pop out of no where and be significant. As the spotlight list grows it will be harder to manage. Especially if relying on authors to let you know if something is broken. An author who is gone, can't check for you. Does that mean bug tickets?

Every year you'll be adding 52 missions. Even if you scale back or do "Returning Spotlight Weeks" you'll still be adding a lot. Even if 5 missions break, that's a lot of work, let alone 20 when you have 120 to have under your wing. Granted the disappearing author situation is probably a bad scenario if missions are still manageable by original authors, you'd be outsourcing a lot of work and making it run faster if we can have an easier way to get edited projects to you.

We may not know how yet, or have a reasonable way figured, but, it is something no matter what we do we'll need to keep our minds on.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm worse off. Only ONE of my missions is even visible, and it's a misison I published to demonstrate a neat trick... not an actual story misison.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited November 2012
    Didn't you say you were going to unpublish yours before the season update went live?
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Y I do NOT stand by Kirk's comments on just leaving the Foundry "as is" and no longer updating,

I'm just saying, "what the TRIBBLE?" Season 6 was to be this massive foundry update and what did we get? Season 7 gave us... what exactly?

I'm tired of even hoping. What, in terms of an update, did we get to match the impact of the bugs that an update brings? What is more dramatic? The actual bugs or the actual features that an update brings. Sure, an update with no real features would probably be as bad as season 4.

At some point it is ridiculous. Wow. some UI changes and some features rescinded. Thank you devs for breaking our missions.

Maybe season 8 will bring us a 3-d editor that is too buggy for release until season 11. But, sorry, all costumes defaulted to TNG Klingon sashes. And, sorry gang, your invis objects no longer work... but don't worry, season 9 will be a UBER BIG FOUNDARY UPDATEZ including assets!

soon...

There will be nothing in season 8 that remotely matches dstahl's wish-list. There will be no assets. There will be some random feature addition that nobody asked for, complicated by new bugs, complicated by the fact that the new feature doesn't work, complicated by the fact that nobody plays our missions to care, and complicated by the fact that Cryptic's priorities will be focused on some new timer-based slot machine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • woodyvalleywoodyvalley Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I curtinally see reason on what Cryptic/PWE had put on the table, willing to give a chance to reward a Author's work. But they don't know what the Author will do, since we are not exactly apart of the Dev team.

I don't speak for all, I know that.

As an Author, I curtinally take what I do in the foundry seriously and put my best into what I do. I also look forward for the opertunity for my work to be spotlighted. I don't want to change my work to make myself look bad, when it is spotlighted.

Maybe the level of trust between the Cryptic and the Authors may be the issue.

I run a business from home doing IT and also a front of house sound engineer, with 15 years of experience in the entertainment industry, including being a producer with curtin events. Even though it is a different field, it is sumular in approach. We both require to have people in seats, to generate a income.

We are bound to have players give us one stars, but we all know we can't please everyone. Even if we are a Dev making content or a Author making foundry missions.

But getting back on topic.

So maybe Cryptic need to have some trust in the author, just as much as the Author needs to be accountable for his actions.

If there is everdence that a Aurthor has broken the trust you have put apon him with spotlighting his or her work, then may he or she be made accountable for the actions and have the foundry mission removed from the spotlight and/or banned from the foundry.

Making a spotlighted foundry mission frozen is very heavy handed, makes it like you can't trust us. Would you like it if we don't trust the Devs with making a feature episode? It might be a bad example, but it does have meaning.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Didn't you say you were going to unpublish yours before the season update went live?
    Me? No. I don't think I ever did that.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited November 2012
    Oops :) must have been thinking of someone else.