test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fleet action dailies will give Fleet Marks - how about the PvP dailies?

sophlogimosophlogimo Member Posts: 6,507 Arc User
edited November 2012 in PvP Gameplay
Today's patch notes include a nice change to the daily fleet action missions, which from today on will not grant Dilithium, but fleet marks (and not few). Wouldn'tz it make sense to give Lt Com Icheb's dailies for PvP (and the Klingon version, of course) the same treatment?

What do you think?
Remember, STO is nothing but a cosmetics game, where only the rule of cool matters. The game mechanics are intentionally out of balance, don't try to "optimize" anything, as it would just frustrate you.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    devorasxdevorasx Member Posts: 693
    edited November 2012
    Weird change....
    Co-founder of The Spanish Inquisition TSI - Cause no one expects it!

PaxOttomana: gawd mirror event is like fighting a tsi premade, they keep comin and comin!
  • Options
    grindsmygears1grindsmygears1 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    according to bort, pvp (even if done with your fleet mates) doesn't qualify for fleet marks since it's not fleet related...as if that make any sense at all...
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Given all the opportunities folks have to earn Fleet Marks - it's an annoying change for those that do not care about Fleet Marks.

As for PvP, outside of their being a "Fleet vs. Fleet" thing going on - can't see why on Earth they would offer Fleet Marks for PvP.

If they pulled the Dil there as well... well... how are things over in MWO? How's the TOR F2P thing going? Anything good on TV?
  • Options
    p2wsucksp2wsucks Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It's been brought up before and they won't do it.

Imo, it's b/c Mgt not only doesn't care to make PvP a quality part of the game, but it wants it dead. Pure speculation, but I think it goes back to what the Goons et al did when the game 1st launched in terms of forum wars and pointing out the lolz of things like inviting kdf to fed bridges and having fed boffs kill them, ramming speed and self destructing @ ESD, some of the umm how to put this compromising adult positions toons' emotes could be put in, etc.
    [Zone] Dack@****: cowards can't take a fed 1 on 1 crinckley cowards Hahahaha you smell like flowers
    Random Quote from Kerrat
    "Sumlobus@****: your mums eat Iced Targ Poo"
    C&H Fed banter
  • Options
    glxtrader1glxtrader1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    No it doesn't make sense, now quiet :mad:
    Keep Vulcan Boob Chick, only baktag likes to stare at guys in MMOs
  • Options
    havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    ANother instances of cryptic cares greatly for PvP. One whole season this change was to difficult and time consuming to implement. One week of PvEheros whinning and whooops, its on holodeck.

Thank you for nothing ....
  • Options
    maicake716maicake716 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    awww come on guys, cant ya'll feel the love cryptic has for us?

i mean.. a dev actually talks to us! thats means something right?

its not like he accidently says backhanded things about things when people try to help him, and its not like the devs are just here for the

"pancakes and lulz"

or anything... right?

right?

-wraps himself in the warm goodness that is the cryptics love for pvp-
    mancom wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • Options
    mrkollinsmrkollins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    In a parallel universe STO has the best PvP of all the MMOs in Earth, and yeah also with Fleet Marks.
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    fakehilbertfakehilbert Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    mrkollins wrote: »
    In a parallel universe STO has the best PvP of all the MMOs in Earth, and yeah also with Fleet Marks.
    I now know the solution to all our problems: Let's all grow goatees! We can turn this into the mirror universe!
  • Options
    snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm there, dude. I'm growing the fuzz right now as we type.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thepleasuredomethepleasuredome Member Posts: 308
    edited November 2012
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    I imagine any dev reading this thread, wanting to reply to the original idea, but then reading more... and then naturally deciding not to bother any more.

Any of you guys ever thought how you felt if people talked about your work that way?

Sorry devs, it was not my intention to have another bashfest. :rolleyes:

If some of us did work in such a way as for our customers to be speaking of us like so, we'd be fired. That's as true as it is for me (a corporate accountant) as it is for people in retail or graphic arts.
    Arawn & Ihasa
    OP *is* the new balance, whether you know it or not! Gecko says so.
    Season 7 - Exodus, available online. U buy nao!
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/738221-monetizing-perfect-world-s-latest-update
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dant158#3249 dant158 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This has been mentioned umpteen times before, earliest recollection was from tribble forums before S6 went live.
    Each and every time we are told, 'oh but fleet marks are for fleet activities, like one click dailies' etc despite pvp requiring more 'fleet' based activities that fleet events themselves.
    I imagine any dev reading this thread, wanting to reply to the original idea, but then reading more... and then natur

I stopped reading there, couldn't be bothered with it anymore.
  • Options
    shimmerlessshimmerless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Have to love how Sophlogimo pulls his passive-aggressive "AREN'T YOU GUYS JUST SO MAD AT ME? HMM? MODS, ARE YOU WATCHING?" thing by the second page of his own damn thread.

Yet he faces zero censure and people wonder why the atmosphere is so tense at times. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Any of you guys ever thought how you felt if people talked about your work that way?

It was second grade. I felt pretty bad. So I did everything I could to avoid it happening again. That was over 30 years ago.
  • Options
    stevehalestevehale Member Posts: 437
    edited November 2012
    Sounds ok but I'd hate to see dilithium rewards removed from PvP. Maybe I'm wrong but given some of their recent changes I'd be concerned that dilithium would be switched to fleet marks or something like that. I just doubt they'd simply add it on.

Also, given the already increasing problem of afkers farming PvP, more rewards would only make it worse.
  • Options
    upyournacelles2upyournacelles2 Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Today's patch notes include a nice change to the daily fleet action missions, which from today on will not grant Dilithium, but fleet marks (and not few). Wouldn'tz it make sense to give Lt Com Icheb's dailies for PvP (and the Klingon version, of course) the same treatment?

What do you think?

Yeah, you know damn well what they think seeing as how you posted in the thread where bort responded as to why pvp dailies are not included.

This thread was started for the sole purpose to get this community all worked up about a subject we've discussed over and over again. How is Sophie not being punished for starting inflammatory threads while so many others are?
  • Options
    floodedgusset69#9662 floodedgusset69 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Sprinkles Logimo is a dev-worshipping tool bag. He'd suck himself into orbit if the Devs were on the moon.

They break the game over and over again, change TRIBBLE up for the worse, it's a wonder they don't lose their jobs... they would've if they worked for me with this kind of track record.

EDIT: I changed my mind. PWE is probably trettening them with roozing their jobs to make this an Orienter Glind to Pay to Pray Massivrey Multiprayer Onrine game. I appraud them for haow bad it HASN'T gotten. I'm sure it could be worse...

Never let a foreign company own your IP..The government and businesses of China are some of the LEAST respectful of intellectual property... Is it any wonder the direction our beloved game is taking?

We need better incentives to pay for things, not reasons to just leave altogether.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thepleasuredomethepleasuredome Member Posts: 308
    edited November 2012
    Sprinkles Logimo is a dev-worshipping tool bag. He'd suck himself into orbit if the Devs were on the moon.

They break the game over and over again, change TRIBBLE up for the worse, it's a wonder they don't lose their jobs... they would've if they worked for me with this kind of track record.

EDIT: I changed my mind. PWE is probably trettening them with roozing their jobs to make this an Orienter Glind to Pay to Pray Massivrey Multiprayer Onrine game. I appraud them for haow bad it HASN'T gotten. I'm sure it could be worse...

Never let a foreign company own your IP..The government and businesses of China are some of the LEAST respectful of intellectual property... Is it any wonder the direction our beloved game is taking?

We need better incentives to pay for things, not reasons to just leave altogether.

I see what you did there. ;)
    Arawn & Ihasa
    OP *is* the new balance, whether you know it or not! Gecko says so.
    Season 7 - Exodus, available online. U buy nao!
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/738221-monetizing-perfect-world-s-latest-update
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    upyournacelles2upyournacelles2 Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So you did not take on any complex task with a mentionable risk of failure ever since then? :P

To err is human. To err when working with a juggernaut of software written by a large team with at least some personnel fluctuation over several years is unavoidable. Bashing people for being human and do what everybody would from time to time in their position is just demotivating.

We are imagining us to be captains of starships, with hundreds of crew under our command. Shouldn't we be somewhat more savvy with motivating people for their work?

Sure, they err'd when they screwed up the code and created this bug. Its going to happen with a game they didn't even create, but took over from another company. I get that. They were told this was happening when it was on the TEST server and they pushed it live anyway. That's not an "err", that's a DECISION. The decision is what people are mad about, not the fact they accidentally screwed up the code. The next DECISION they made was to not jump all over fixing it and make it one of their top priorities, but instead joke around about it. Joke around about a subject that at one time was so serious, the mere mention of the EXPLOIT would earn you a ban from the forums.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Well in any remotely serious game, a bug like that would be major cause for alarm. The server would likely be brought down or at the very least queues would be disabled.

But Cryptic doesn't seem to really care, and if they don't then why should I? Why bother putting money into the game if I can't even guarantee that the fundamental conditions of the engine will be the same match to match?

It just absolutely astounds me that they don't see this as something that should be top priority, with all devs on hand to fix the situation. It's so gallingly careless.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Well in any remotely serious game, a bug like that would be major cause for alarm. The server would likely be brought down or at the very least queues would be disabled.

It goes beyond the queues. Anything requiring space combat is made easier. Thus, it's something that allows players farm anything they want to farm faster - with or without queues. This means they can farm Dil faster - they can farm items faster to sell on the exchange - etc, etc, etc, etc... which affects the in-game economy.

It goes well beyond PvP folks complaining about it - and - oddly enough, not to cast a wretched shadow upon the PvE folks...but they're very likely not to complain about it for reasons already mentioned.

It's not quite a team of five running borked TBR to 9 NWS... but it's something that the longer it goes unfixed, the longer it will have ramifications on the game down the road.

It's a big deal...and...they're just not taking the scant seconds it takes to think of many of the ways this screws the game...
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    "Serious game"? Isn't that an oxymoron? This is an entertainment activity, and not a single person will be hurt in any way by that bug.

Everybody* is hurt by this bug.

Is somebody smacking them in their genitalia with a sledgehammer? No, they're not being physically hurt... but this bug is a major bug that has ramifications throughout the game world.

*People that play by themselves, do not attempt to exchange Dil for Zen nor buy/sell anything on the exchange... would be an exception.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Would both parties enjoy a game of chess if one of the players were allowed to make up her own rules? No, probably not, so obviously a game can need a baseline of integrity.

A game can be competitive and still be fun, I would know considering I played one for a living for the better part of three years (however do not do as I did since the game will get old eventually).

In fairness to Bort specifically, I do think he meant well even if he didn't think his words through. If the bug were one that all players had by default and it couldn't be removed, I'd be all for it, since running around with Viral Matrix 3 on a freighter does sound like a blast. But since I can't guarantee that any other given player is running the bug, it ain't fair of me to do so and so I won't. I'd hope most feel the same way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Were there a Fleet Ladder... were there anything involving the Fleet System that involved PvP - it would make sense.

As it stands, it's the same as suggesting that killing Borg should reward Romulan Marks or killing Tholians should reward Omega Marks...

Dil is a "universal" currency - it's involved in so many transactions.

Fleet Marks? Yeah...not so much.

Perhaps they should expand upon the Fleet System and PvP - where such a change would not necessarily be necessary, since there would be some Fleet PvP System in place that did it...