test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So Season 7 is about "story," eh?

kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I'm having fun on New Romulus. But, I'm not seeing much of a 'story" beyond the Feds and KDF competing for the hearts and minds of the Rommies. And, the part with KDF seems to ignore lots and lots of established canon about the inherent Klingon/Romulan hatred for each other.

So far, I've met one person (the Romulan leader) who qualifies as a character with a personality.

Granted, I haven't really gotten past the first two sets of Marks missions, which were go there and hit 'f'.

And the opening cut scene was really choppy so I missed some of it. Did it explain (convincingly) why the Klingons and Romulans are suddenly best friends forever? Something beyond "we put our differences aside to scan rocks and flowers! Botany is quest of the most brutal of noble warriors."

But, what do you guys and gals think?

Season 7 is about all about story? I'd like it if your response is about story content that is inside the game, not something posted on a dev blog outside of the game.

Cheers
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by kirksplat on

Comments

• Options
    robertcrayvenrobertcrayven Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    kirksplat wrote: »
    I'm having fun on New Romulus. But, I'm not seeing much of a 'story" beyond the Feds and KDF competing for the hearts and minds of the Rommies. So, far, I've met one person (the Romulan leader) who qualifies as a character with a personality.

Granted, I haven't really gotten past the first two sets of Marks missions, which were go there and hit 'f'.

And the opening cut scene was really choppy so I missed some of it.

Season 7 is about all about story?

Season 7 is all about grind, alienating players, and diluting STO to the point that I'm reminded of the Star Wars Galaxies New Game Experience epic fail.
  • Options
    sabrevt1100sabrevt1100 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm not really following what the story is then if there is supposed to be one. I ran New Romulus this past weekend with one of my toons and to be honest it got old quick. I got tired of killing bugs, killing Tal Shi'ar and tagging Epohs and in general wasting time. Just not digging it. I like the game overall but it is getting to be too much of a darn grind to be worth dealing with.
    "Bite Me! It's Fun." - Crow T. Robot
  • Options
    weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    No real reason for the Klingons to be there other than that it's an 'opportunity' for the KDF and the RSE to build bridges and that 'perhaps' it'll do the same for KDF/Fed relations :rolleyes:

There's no real story as such yet - Nomulus (as I like to call it) needs your help with this and that (shooting naughty Tal Shiar and Tholians, helping octopi find their mother, collecting rock and water samples etc.)

When you hit Tier 1 in the Rep system a new cut scene opens up that introduces a new character and a hint of what's to come (it also opens up a fun but 'capsule' mission involving someone we've encountered before).

Hopefully as things go along the story will pick up more depth but at the moment Nomulus is nothing more than a playground.
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • Options
    thomas12255thomas12255 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    As far as I know the story missions come when you level up in Reputation tiers. And that isn't very hard, the marks are easy to get with the new fleet actions and the 15 minute patrol mission that gives you 60 marks.
    [SIGPIC]http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Thomas45-STO.png[/SIGPIC]

{UFP}Thomas45 - Thomas Nixon U.S.S. Majesty Unbound
  • Options
    sonulinu2sonulinu2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I don't know how much of a story this is going to be, but when you reach Tier 1 you pick up a recording near the Embassy Building iirc. It's a very nice cut scene that involves some of the main characters you mentioned. I won't spoil it for ppl by describing it, but it definitely gives the impression that there will be an ongoing New Romulus story line not unlike the FEs as we continue to progress in Tiers.

I say give it a chance. Certainly there are plenty of other things to complain about with Season 7 imho.
  • Options
    travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    And the opening cut scene was really choppy so I missed some of it. Did it explain (convincingly) why the Klingons and Romulans are suddenly best friends forever? Something beyond "we put our differences aside to scan rocks and flowers! Botany is quest of the most brutal of noble warriors."

I have to admit, I chuckled at that line.

Also, I like your avatar.
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.
  • Options
    pointedearspointedears Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm having fun on New Romulus. But, I'm not seeing much of a 'story" beyond the Feds and KDF competing for the hearts and minds of the Rommies. And, the part with KDF seems to ignore lots and lots of established canon about the inherent Klingon/Romulan hatred for each other.

So far, I've met one person (the Romulan leader) who qualifies as a character with a personality.

Season 7 is about all about story? I'd like it if your response is about story content that is inside the game, not something posted on a dev blog outside of the game.

Cheers

You know kirk I wish IU had your blissful ignorance to just play and enjoy the game and take from it what I can with story content.

Sadly season 7 is a big TRIBBLE sandwidch so far. Whilst it has brought down US employment figures by giving people jobs (lets face it all the ****ing grinding now is a job) but it has also killed incentive to run anything in game apart from story content. Im glad I bought my lifetime sub on day 1 at launch but i feel sorry now for all the people who got suckered into buying one last season.

Btw kirk if you enjoy story content in a game check out the story beind planetside2 (www.planetside2.com)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    anonymoose666anonymoose666 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So Season 7 is about "story," eh?

No, actually. They said S8 was going to be the big story season.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    No, actually. They said S8 was going to be the big story season.

hmm... I remember them saying S7 was going to be about story when S6 launched.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2012

I dont remember, S6 was a very long time ago in video game time. But S7 does significantly move the game's story forward in a broad sense with the introduction of New Romulus, even if it does not give you a very specific character storyline.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    i will say ive only did a few type of mission aka the rocks and bug killing on NR and looking how my story is now time gated to a fleet base system i gave up will more then never likely do it sad thing to for romulan are my favorite so if you would as ive aways loved your reviews!!!! OP plz be sure to do some :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    daan2006 wrote: »
    i will say ive only did a few type of mission aka the rocks and bug killing on NR and looking how my story is now time gated to a fleet base system i gave up will more then never likely do it sad thing to for romulan are my favorite so if you would as ive aways loved your reviews!!!! OP plz be sure to do some :)

A question, if I may. I have seen you say basically the same thing(about not liking NR) more than once in multiple threads. I'm just curious what your goal of repeating the same thing over and over is? Looking forward to your response.
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    A 'rationale' for the Klingon Empire's involvement was delivered by way of an out of game blog (#15 here). Perhaps this will be included on one of the Romulan lore data chips, but I doubt it. Maybe KDF players will get a divergent set of cutscenes later on, but I doubt it also.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    A question, if I may. I have seen you say basically the same thing(about not liking NR) more than once in multiple threads. I'm just curious what your goal of repeating the same thing over and over is? Looking forward to your response.

i can say this it dont have a time gate on it ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    rayusrayus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

I clearly remember this as well. And another statement along the lines of Season 7 being one big FE, more or less.

To give the team credit, the new grind found in Season 7 does have a more enjoyable feel to it than before, with little tidbits of story, voiceovers and cutscenes sprinkled on here and there.

I was pretty bummed when I realized what Season 7 had really boiled down to after it arrived on Tribble. I was hoping for at least ONE new episode after those statements about story focus were made. :o

Oh well, at least there is more to do now, repetative and simplistic as it may be. :cool:
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    rayus wrote: »
    I

To give the team credit, the new grind found in Season 7 does have a more enjoyable feel to it than before, with little tidbits of story, voiceovers and cutscenes sprinkled on here and there.

I agree, but it's sort of a bummer than I feel like I'm walking around a virtual doff system.

1. doff system with virtual rewards
    2. starbase doff system where you can visit a 3d place once in awhile to see your system
    3. Now we get to walk around the system itself.

It still feels like the exact same system as doffing, just with visualization and pretty waterfalls.

I really hope that I meet some characters and get more of something resembling a story. It's really confusing seeing KDF just standing around on New Romulus. It needs an explanation.

It's like seeing Borg window-shopping at Macy's.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Yeah, I went on and on one post about it seeming like there was no story content in S7. Brandon replies there would be new mission content. Heres the link to our quotes

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=351931&page=3

Yeah, he doesnt use the word "story" in his reply, but he's replying to my rage demanding story, and his reply strongly implies my demands for STORY content will be satisfied.

They should have casted Brandon instead of Charlie Sheen when they replaced Michael J Fox on Spin City.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • Options
    deyvaddeyvad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    We were told "no more featured episodes", and I was plenty surprised when I unlocked tier 1 of Romulans, it looks like there's a story line hidden behind all that grind, I'm looking forward to unlock the other tier and visit all the instance to unlock the cut scenes.

There's no point grinding New Romulus, it's not meant to be grinded IMO, it's meant to be casual content, you go to New Romulus every other time you log in, to help out the Romulans, or do the space missions. If you go down to New Romulus thinking you'll spend 3 hours grinding Romulan marks, you'll end up bored quickly. And with the cooldown on reputation projects why would you want to grind when you can run a mission every other day and have enough marks to do the projects.

New Romulus is different from the other two Adventure Zones (Nukara and Defera), where you could go and grind the missions to get specific loot.

As for KDF helping out New Romulan, the only rational to that decision is that it wouldn't be fair to the KDF player base to not have any new content with season 7. Does it make sense story wise? nope. I'd even say they miss the boat, and should have done exclusive content for KDF (like sabotage New Romulus), that way they would give an incentive to feds to start a KDF to see the other side of the story.

Finally, I, for one, am happy with the changes of Season 7, I no longer feel the urge to log in with all my alts to play 15 minutes each to grind the Officer report and do the B'tran sector, because I "must" grab "my" dilithium. Now, I log in with my favorite toon and just do content that I enjoy. With Season 7, STO no longer feels like a job to me.
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Cheers

Two things. First is that you can replay both initial cut scenes by talking to Kylor and there is a console (narrow) on the landing paviliion in the Staging Area to replay the initial zone into cut scene.

Second is new content is unlocked for reaching a Tier in the Reputation Systems. Then I hit T1 in the New Romulus Reputation system, I got a mission "Find Hidden Data Cache" which is a VERY interesting cut scene (no spoilers sorry). Which make me even more determined to reach the upper tiers of the system. And you get a new daily mission for more Marks in which you find out some more of what's happening on New Romulus and you mean an old "friend" Hifar. And he's not happy to see you either,

Now as to the content locking into the Tiers of the Reputation System. Locking the final secrets of New Romulus behind the upper tiers of Reputation is too much in my opinion. That being 72 days (not taking into account Tribble changes) is putting it way too far out of reach. I think the content gate should be loosely couple with the Reputation system. And not tightly coupled to it. Perhaps some intermediate "tiers" which are most linear than exponential.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Yeah, I went on and on one post about it seeming like there was no story content in S7. Brandon replies there would be new mission content. Heres the link to our quotes

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=351931&page=3

Yeah, he doesnt use the word "story" in his reply, but he's replying to my rage demanding story, and his reply strongly implies my demands for STORY content will be satisfied.

They should have casted Brandon instead of Charlie Sheen when they replaced Michael J Fox on Spin City.

No, your post which he was replying to said:
    If I read that correctly, no no mission content till S8...

Now, I can only assume that you meant to say "no new", not "no no". So you said "no new mission content until S8", and he was correcting you. That has nothing to do with the specific type of mission content, only that there would be lots of new mission content in S7, and there clearly is.

Dont get me wrong; I want new FEs ASAP as well. But if your going to quote someone, dont take what they said out of context.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    lordfuzun wrote: »
    Two things. First is that you can replay both initial cut scenes by talking to Kylor and there is a console (narrow) on the landing paviliion in the Staging Area to replay the initial zone into cut scene.

Second is new content is unlocked for reaching a Tier in the Reputation Systems. Then I hit T1 in the New Romulus Reputation system, I got a mission "Find Hidden Data Cache" which is a VERY interesting cut scene (no spoilers sorry). Which make me even more determined to reach the upper tiers of the system. And you get a new daily mission for more Marks in which you find out some more of what's happening on New Romulus and you mean an old "friend" Hifar. And he's not happy to see you either,

Now as to the content locking into the Tiers of the Reputation System. Locking the final secrets of New Romulus behind the upper tiers of Reputation is too much in my opinion. That being 72 days (not taking into account Tribble changes) is putting it way too far out of reach. I think the content gate should be loosely couple with the Reputation system. And not tightly coupled to it. Perhaps some intermediate "tiers" which are most linear than exponential.

OK, then, that is a hopeful post. Now I look forward to New Rom grind. Thanks for the clarification. I will happily grind if I'm interested in getting something besides starbase plants or more grind. "To be continued" will keep me interested far longer than unlocking some ability that I can already do at sol starbase.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Oh, there is actually story . . . . . once you've done the grind. (Example: Romulan Reputation Tier 1 And Warehouse Alpha-2) :(
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    i don't know what you guys are talking about. S7 is awesome for me. Everything about it.

The Issue I see going forward is the fact that it MAY be 3 months worth of content. S8 is 6 months away.
    This isn't to say that there won't be more stuff coming before S8, but judging by past experience.....
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Oh, there is actually story . . . . . once you've done the grind. (Example: Romulan Reputation Tier 1 And Warehouse Alpha-2) :(

... Which I find fun. :D
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    That's cool. Glad you feel that way. But will you still feel that way four months from now, after the novelty of New Romulus has worn off? Will the novelty last even THAT long?

If you really want to know, then ask him in 4 months. But asking him now, while he just told you he's enjoying it, is useless.
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    There is no way he can answer that question now, so ask him in 4 months. But asking him now when he's enjoying it is useless.

how are you going to feel about this statement in 10 years from now!
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    No, your post which he was replying to said:

Now, I can only assume that you meant to say "no new", not "no no". So you said "no new mission content until S8", and he was correcting you. That has nothing to do with the specific type of mission content, only that there would be lots of new mission content in S7, and there clearly is.

Dont get me wrong; I want new FEs ASAP as well. But if your going to quote someone, dont take what they said out of context.

Finish my sentence. It ended with stating no new FEATURED EPISODES for a year. He quoted that part in his reply, knowing full well my definition of mission content was defined as FEATURE EPISODES. Not to mention the rest of my rant. If there were no FEs at all in S7 he shouldnt have replied directly to me. He was trying to be cute with his answer to calm me. He knew FULL WELL what I was asking for. Stop defending him.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I have mixed feelings.

It's not perfect.

But locking a few missions and cutscenes into a 70 day grind (I use the term lightly since this grind only involves playing for a few minutes a week) is not TERRIBLY different from how Featured Episodes are actually released, wherein 5 missions get released over 35 days.

The big difference here is that you get a big sandbox to play in along with the missions, there are fewer missions, the time is longer, and people who come along later don't get it dramatically faster. (With FEs, there is no "waiting a week for the next reveal" after something has been released.)

I'm not convinced this model is perfect but I wouldn't say it's devoid of story either and the dialogue/mysteries are some of the best we've gotten and I like that the pacing is based on when you start playing rather than being a wait for early adopters and no wait for late adopters.

It does gloss light on the Fed/Klingon war. But I also think that inside a year, that war will no longer be a part of the game (even at low levels) and this zone still will be, so acknowledging it too much is probably inefficient.