test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So they put tails for Aliens in the game finally?

bronbron Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I saw two female characters today who had tails and they weren't Caitians. I checked and their Info said Alien. I asked how, and besides "I was born with it" I didn't get any other answers.

I'm perfectly serious. I even had some people from my fleet alliance show up and confirm.

Here's the pic: http://imageshack.us/a/img831/1231/screenshot2012111913010.jpg
Proud Pre-Launch CO and Pre-Launch STO Lifetime Subscriber.
Post edited by bron on

Comments

• darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    bron wrote: »
    I saw two female characters today who had tails and they weren't Caitians. I checked and their Info said Alien. I asked how, and besides "I was born with it" I didn't get any other answers. I have screens, which I can't post right now because I'm not on my computer.

I'm perfectly serious. I even had some people from my fleet alliance show up and confirm.

So while I'm getting my screens, who can shed some light on how to get this?

I'll happily wait for the pics. Update your OP when you get them loaded.

Update: I checked an Alien character of mine at the Tailor, and checked the alien Character Creator, and found no option for a tail.
    Possibilties:
    a. a new option that is unlocked that no one has heard about yet
    b. it's "trick" at the tailor, and therefore an exploit
    c. they are mod hacks
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Were the tails Caitian looking?

Cause it might be the same glitch that allows Gorn heads with bare chests.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Nah it's an exploit.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I saw two female characters today who had tails and they weren't Caitians. I checked and their Info said Alien. I asked how, and besides "I was born with it" I didn't get any other answers. I have screens, which I can't post right now because I'm not on my computer.

So while I'm getting my screens, who can shed some light on how to get this?

Pic's or GTHO.

I want to see this.
  • zebulongileszebulongiles Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Would the tails be unlocked for the alien type if the person has Caiten or Ferasen for one of there other characters? I don't know as I don't have any Caiten or Feresan captains on my account. Just curious if it works that way?
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    There's a certain species of chief science officers for Fed that have very small tails. There are nothing like the cat tails. Best place to find them is Epohh Fields.
    Or did you mean actual player characters?
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
    edited November 2012
    yeah, actual player characters, if someone has a caiten or ferasen character on their account, would it then be possible for that player to select a tail for an alien captain on the same account?
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    yeah, actual player characters, if someone has a caiten or ferasen character on their account, would it then be possible for that player to select a tail for an alien captain on the same account?

Ah ok I see, I misunderstood the original post. I've seen people in the tailor make these characters with tails before, or a Caitian with full borg armor like the Engineering boff uses. I don't know how they do it though.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
    edited November 2012

I have Caitians.
    Refer to post #2.
    edited November 2012
    Cool, thanks for your quick response, answers my question at least. :)

I was just wondering if that was a possibility for how a tail would be on an alien captain type or not, wasn't the case then apperently. Have a good day/afternoon/evening :)

And Happy Holidays.
  • nikkyvixnikkyvix Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    There are alien NPCs on New Romulus with small, tapered, furless tails. The one Fed officer I saw was a pink-skinned alien resemblant of a burly Saurian.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
    "Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    For the life of me, I never understood why Cryptic never added more alien options for the customizer. While I won't argue that the majority of aliens in Star Trek were humanoid, we did have alien-alien races too.

Beaked Saurians
    Avians
    Aquatics
    Aborians
    Gorn

And lots more.

I always wished they add a legitimate options to add beaks, snouts, tails, feathering, claws (hands and feet), and various kinds of tails. My Fed Tactical was always meant to be a reptilian thats more friendly looking than the Gorn, but until this recent.......creativity, I never could have that.

So be nice for Season 8 that the team opens up these options to us than locking the door.
    edited November 2012
    Any news on those screenshots bron?
  • bronbron Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Good timing. I just got on my computer.

Here you go. Also putting it into my OP.

http://imageshack.us/a/img831/1231/screenshot2012111913010.jpg

That's one of them on the right, with the Info open. The other one had run off when I took this. The character is now famous.

Thoughts?

It's killing me to not know this, since I was one of if not the first to have a human/Caitian idea for the game. Since Open Beta I had it in my character's profile that she was one, then when they added compatible ears to Aliens around season 4, I jumped on that. People had been complementing me on my catgirl look for ages and asking how I did it. I was happy to explain the ears, but now I see people with a tail and it makes me go "I want!"
  • thewongerthewonger Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Man, furries scare me the most.
  • cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    She also has Android implants.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I have also seen Fed aliens with Gorn heads or the ones that are really short like shorter than you can make them with the default tailor.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • suprcheesesuprcheese Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I once was able to give my alien character a tail, but no longer; I saved the costume but if I edit it again the tail will disappear. :( I believe it was an unintended side effect of the massive tailor glitches that happened a while back around the end of August or so, where no one could change their Rank or Badge, and people's legs and chests were disappearing, and boff costumes would randomly change to off-duty and become uneditable... good times.

See: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=330921
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=325471

EDIT: Oh, IIRC when alien characters get tails it makes their nametags (the ones that float above the character) sway from side to side with the tail. Was that the case when you saw these characters?
    There is no problem in the galaxy that cannot be solved with sufficient application of firepower.
  • pigeonofclaypigeonofclay Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Something similar happened to one of my characters a couple of months ago. When switching to body armor, only the lower half appeared, leaving the top half in regular clothes.

Interesting effect, but disappeared when I changed costume.
  • methos71methos71 Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I have also seen Fed aliens with Gorn heads or the ones that are really short like shorter than you can make them with the default tailor.

I've actually wondered about the "really short like shorter than you can make them with the default tailor" aliens that I've seen, given that I spent an eternity putting together a Yoda BOFF. I'm pretty happy with how he turned out, but I would love to have made him just a smidge shorter. Anyone have any idea how that's done?

And I thoroughly agree with the general sentiment here that there should be a greater variety of alien parts in the character creator. Love the character creator as it is now, but would love it all the more with greater alien bits and bobs.
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
    Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
    methos71
    screenshot_2012-03-27-13-37-23.jpg

• knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Good timing. I just got on my computer.

Here you go. Also putting it into my OP.

http://imageshack.us/a/img831/1231/screenshot2012111913010.jpg

That's one of them on the right, with the Info open. The other one had run off when I took this. The character is now famous.

Thoughts?

It's killing me to not know this, since I was one of if not the first to have a human/Ciatian idea for the game. Since Open Beta I had it in my character's profile that she was one, then when they added compatible ears to Aliens around season 4, I jumped on that. People had been complementing me on my catgirl look for ages and asking how I did it. I was happy to explain the ears, but now I see people with a tail and it makes me go "I want!"

Pretty funny, but has anybody figured out if this is even possible? The borg feet really cracked me up when I saw them because they look like cat paws :P

Edit:
    suprcheese wrote: »
    I once was able to give my alien character a tail, but no longer; I saved the costume but if I edit it again the tail will disappear. :( I believe it was an unintended side effect of the massive tailor glitches that happened a while back around the end of August or so, where no one could change their Rank or Badge, and people's legs and chests were disappearing, and boff costumes would randomly change to off-duty and become uneditable... good times.

See: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=330921
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=325471

EDIT: Oh, IIRC when alien characters get tails it makes their nametags (the ones that float above the character) sway from side to side with the tail. Was that the case when you saw these characters?

So it must have been from the glitches then. Interesting. What annoys me is that this feature should have already been in the game as an option for everyone. We shouldn't have to glitch the system to get the tail option to appear on our characters.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
    edited November 2012
    Yeah, I agree tails should be officially available to alien characters -- or heck, since Cryptic likes making money, they could sell "holographic tail emitters" to any character for Zen, people would definitely buy those. It would take a trivial effort by the devs, too, probably changing only a few lines of code here and there would do it.
    There is no problem in the galaxy that cannot be solved with sufficient application of firepower.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    methos71 wrote: »
    I've actually wondered about the "really short like shorter than you can make them with the default tailor" aliens that I've seen, given that I spent an eternity putting together a Yoda BOFF. I'm pretty happy with how he turned out, but I would love to have made him just a smidge shorter. Anyone have any idea how that's done?

And I thoroughly agree with the general sentiment here that there should be a greater variety of alien parts in the character creator. Love the character creator as it is now, but would love it all the more with greater alien bits and bobs.
    The main trick I know is to make not only the total height of the character really short but to also reduce the size of all of the parts of the character.

I've been intermittently seeing Zentraedi throughout my entire time playing. That uses a similar take. Stretch every part of the char to be tall.

Wait a second.... Mrowl is wearing a Borg Boff suit!!!!!!!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • bronbron Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    That's right super cheese, the name plate was moving with the tail. Pretty sure, anyway.

But yea, she also had the full body borg outfit at one point WITH tail. No screen of that, but I saw it.

So everybody is stumped, huh?
    edited November 2012
    So everybody is stumped, huh?

I'd say it's either a result of a tailor glitch -- of which there have been many -- or a costume mod, of which there are fewer, but they do exist.
  • cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I mast be just a glitch, I once have one of those with my Orion female.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
    edited November 2012
    The main trick I know is to make not only the total height of the character really short but to also reduce the size of all of the parts of the character.

I've been intermittently seeing Zentraedi throughout my entire time playing. That uses a similar take. Stretch every part of the char to be tall.

You just noticed the borg toesies? LOLZ
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    You just noticed the borg toesies? LOLZ
    "Just" now? I didn't see this thread until page 3....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited November 2012
    "Just" now? I didn't see this thread until page 3....

I was just poking fun at that fact that everybody is so mesmerized by the kitty ears and kitty tail that they fail to see the borg toes beneath :P Meowsistance is futile!!!!
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • methos71methos71 Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Thanks for the heads up Markhawkman! Though, I'm fairly certain that I shortened Commander Yoda's legs as short as I could manage. I'll have to check again though. Here are pics of my wee green, pointy eared BOFF:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/Methos6848/Star%20Trek%20Online%20Adventures/screenshot_2012-09-24-23-07-33.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/Methos6848/Star%20Trek%20Online%20Adventures/screenshot_2012-06-05-20-03-02.jpg
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
    Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
    methos71
    screenshot_2012-03-27-13-37-23.jpg

This discussion has been closed.