test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Reputation System = Farmville

verbenamageverbenamage Member Posts: 92 Arc User
I like the new captain powers, and some of the new items you can buy or get look nice. So I have no problem with the reputation system in concept. However, the implementation is mind-numbingly horrible.

The reputation projects are just absolutely terrible. They're tedious, stupid, annoying clickfests that accomplish nothing.

You click through your status screen to find your rep, see you need new projects. Click, click, click queuing them all up. Then you have to run and find a consumables merchant, then buy all the stuff, click, click, click. Then you have to replicate the commodities, click, click, click. Then you have to fill all the projects, click, click, click, click.

Multiplied by however many character you have. Then in two days you have to do it again, and it's another two days before you actually see any progress. Only it's fake progress, because tier one is worthless. So more click, click, click, click for days, weeks, months.

That's just the sort of mindless task you see in time-sink browser games like farmville. It's not fun, it's not entertaining, it's not innovative. No, it's none of those things. It's boring, tedious, monotonous, and repetitive.

I understand why the commodities and such were put in, there needs to be ways to bleed EC out of the game. But, why can't the EC just be put into the cost of buy the actual items instead of making me spend tons of time doing mindless clicking to fill stupid, annoying projects? Dump the crappy project system and just turn rep into something like commendation xp or similar, that happens while you actually play the game and not as a result of hours and hours of mindless clicking. Then incorporate the costs into the items/abilities you can purchase once you're of sufficient rep.
Post edited by verbenamage on

Comments

• Options
    momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I understand why the commodities and such were put in, there needs to be ways to bleed EC out of the game.

"Needs"? Show me a mission other than Tour the Universe (time-gated) that gives more than a pittance of EC, and then I will agree with the necessity of bleeding EC. As it is, you get next to none from general gameplay and the way things look it's going to take millions to rank up in reputation.

The constant clicking is stupid, and I already said as much back when it was introduced for starbases. None of the things we're adding are actually limited, so it's not like something we need to spend time and effort to find. It costs EC, sure, but if they absolutely must have EC costs then make it a sum of EC and not this user-antagonistic window shuffling between vendor and replicator and clicking and sliding ad nauseum.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So, kinda like faction build-up from good ol' EQ days? They had it where you killed various mobs or turned in various items to raise/lower faction with various groups. So, while playing the game (pew pew ships) you are building/losing rep with the relevant faction.

Like this?
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    momaw wrote: »
    "Needs"? Show me a mission other than Tour the Universe (time-gated) that gives more than a pittance of EC, and then I will agree with the necessity of bleeding EC. As it is, you get next to none from general gameplay and the way things look it's going to take millions to rank up in reputation.

Practically everything, really. Just not directly. You get crappy drops that aren't worth putting on the exchange, so you vendor them and get ec. There's been days I've turned in my doff assignments on the klingon side and gotten over 300k ec worth of random TRIBBLE. It all adds up.
    So, kinda like faction build-up from good ol' EQ days? They had it where you killed various mobs or turned in various items to raise/lower faction with various groups. So, while playing the game (pew pew ships) you are building/losing rep with the relevant faction.

Like this?

That would be fine, or just have it build up like cxp. Just something where you do the work and unlock higher levels of reputation so you can get the abilities or equipment without the annoying clickfest of doing time gated projects.
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I fear this is all the STO team is capable of producing.

Not attacking them, seriously. I've just come to accept that this is all the STO team is capable of producing with the talent and resources they have.

We get buggy cut-scenes, glitched graphics that haven't been addressed in seasons... we have game-play glitches, things not working as intended, things that were never hooked up or fully implemented... Things that broke seasons ago that were never addressed.

I don't think it's a question of NOT wanting to fix these things, it's a question of CAN THEY FIX THEM. I think certain departures hurt them more than they let on.

Result is, the new talent is trying to make things work with an ever shrinking pool of resources and time.

Rather than go back and fix things, they struggle to integrate new content. The reputation system is all they can figure out how to implement... it's copy-paste of the Fleet system.

We won't be seeing any game changing alterations or improvements on STO simply because no one knows how to implement such. Oh sure they can design and and model some beautiful stuff, but the mechanics will be Farmvill-esqe from here on out.

Clickies and Grinds are the only thing we can expect.

And that makes me sad. This game had such potential.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    You gotta BUY reputation with marks and items that cost EC. Funny how the EC part is mostly overlooked as peeps are counting every dilithium crystal they have in their account.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    marielangmarielang Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    before season 7 you got imediate reward not always what you wanted but somthing. the anticapation was part of the joy. now is just grind and wait and wait. and hell yes we want the gear what is point of grinding months to get the gear you needed for the grind thats over??????
  • Options
    xsharpexxsharpex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    marielang wrote: »
    before season 7 you got imediate reward not always what you wanted but somthing. the anticapation was part of the joy. now is just grind and wait and wait. and hell yes we want the gear what is point of grinding months to get the gear you needed for the grind thats over??????

they restored most of the dil to stfs. theyre adding greeen and higher drops for boss and mini-bosses this week. they're allegedly looking into the project requirements and timers. what more do you want? mind you, they're just getting back from the weekend, too. it'll sort itself out... eventually.
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Remember, ole' Danny-boy did have a job at Zynga for awhile.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    xsharpex wrote: »
    they restored most of the dil to stfs. theyre adding greeen and higher drops for boss and mini-bosses this week. they're allegedly looking into the project requirements and timers. what more do you want?

I want to advance my rep without having to spend several minutes every couple days doing mindless clicking to fill up projects. I really don't care about the costs of the reputation system, I'm fine with what it costs in terms of EC/expertise. Even the dil costs, for just advancing rep, seems reasonable. The item dil costs are a different story, but whatever.

I just think the interface of having to queue up rep projects, then having to run around and click a thousand time to gather the materials, then even more clicking to fill them up is bad. It's monotonous and annoying. That it's time gated just makes it worse.

Strip all the crappy rep-xp projects, just let rep build up as you play the content. Then once you get to a certain level do a single assignment/project/whatever where you hand over a lump sum of expertise, ec, or whatever for each tier. Save us from the tedious clickfest.
  • Options
    xsharpexxsharpex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I want to advance my rep without having to spend several minutes every couple days doing mindless clicking to fill up projects. I really don't care about the costs of the reputation system, I'm fine with what it costs in terms of EC/expertise. Even the dil costs, for just advancing rep, seems reasonable. The item dil costs are a different story, but whatever.

I just think the interface of having to queue up rep projects, then having to run around and click a thousand time to gather the materials, then even more clicking to fill them up is bad. It's monotonous and annoying. That it's time gated just makes it worse.

Strip all the crappy rep-xp projects, just let rep build up as you play the content. Then once you get to a certain level do a single assignment/project/whatever where you hand over a lump sum of expertise, ec, or whatever for each tier. Save us from the tedious clickfest.

i wouldnt mind that at all. let's be honest. there's a dozen ways this could have been implemented better. at its current state, however, i'd settle for decreased project times and being able to pre-queue resources for projects. i really do miss the *&#^ out of the old system though.
  • Options
    welshavengerwelshavenger Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    mimey2 wrote: »
    Remember, ole' Danny-boy did have a job at Zynga for awhile.

^ This gets the 'relevant comment of the year' award.
    Fall-of-the-Babbage_zpsa9omaksh.jpg
  • Options
    smiley117smiley117 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    basically this game has become wait to win
  • Options
    starmuttstarmutt Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm ok with the layout of the reputation system but what gets me are the waiting times and the sudden price jump in OMEGA Tokens for gear (compared to project prices)... and its not even good gear for RA5's. Just before this system hit I had just got the Elite MACO and OMEGA space gear and was working on the Elite MACO ground set.

Now I got a HUUUUuuuuuuuge grind ahead of me and all my saved up Borg EDCs & Advanced Borg tech have been turned into a box I can't open till tier 3??... When I open it will probably be something pitiful like 10 Omega tokens.

They should knock the project times down to a universal 24hours (I mean was 1 Day 16hour just plucked to the air or something??) and rethink the OMEGA token prices.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    McCoy: In this galaxy, there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more, only one of each of us.
  • Options
    bandit2338bandit2338 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    if u dont like that system support this:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=454701
  • Options
    omfg4202omfg4202 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    You've hit the nail on the head. Dan Stahl has turned Star Trek Online into Farmville. No wonder I hate it! Perfect World has ruined my favorite game.
    KIRK:That which you call Ee'd Plebnista was not written for the chiefs or the kings or the warriors or the rich and powerful, but for all the people! These words were not written only for the Yangs, but for the Kohms as well! They must apply to everyone or they mean nothing! Do you understand?
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,865 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I just like the title of the forum and for those who of course might disagree check this out:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=452031

I would take it another notch and called it STO S7=FARMVILLE ....:)
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The clicking sucks. And so do the costs. I don't want to have to go across the galaxy to find a commodity vendor for reputation projects so I just use my ship replicator (button in your inventory) and it costs me over 100k EC just for a single project in commodities because they cost more in the replicator.

I unlocked tier 1 Omega today and looked at the gear projects and was pissed! :mad:

3500 Dilithium and 350 Omega marks for each Omega Mk X ground gear projects to unlock them in the store. I imagine they will cost at least twice that amount of Dilithium in the store.

If you don't think that's bad, try this on for size: Assimilated Deflector Dish, Impulse Engines, and Shield array (ship gear) all Mk X each cost 14,000 Dilithium and 450 Omega marks EACH for the projects to unlock them in the store.

Assimilated Universal Console (does not have a Mk) costs 15,000 Dilithium and 500 Omega marks for the project. The other 2 pieces of the set to go with the console are not in the list so I imagine you unlock 1 or both at tier 2.

They make it sound like they are "listening" to the players by adding Dilithium rewards in Fleet Actions and adding the smaller amount back into STFs. They say "we want people to refine more Dilithium per day" and "our goal is for players to get more Zen for their Dilithium" (in other words, Zen prices in the exchange they want to tank) and give us way to much to spend it on, the increased amounts gained are meaningless entirely.

And these are the costs just to unlock them in the store. How much more will they cost to buy them once unlocked? And keep in mind these are the costs just to unlock the Mk X gear. I hate to see how much the projects will cost for the Mk XII gear.

Hint: in your list of projects on the right side you can put your mouse over each icon that represents which items are needed for the projects and you get a pop up that says how many of that item is needed.

Screenshots:
    projectcosts1.jpg

projectcosts2.jpg

It's too late for them to fix things and turn things around. From what I've been seeing on the forums, players are leaving the game already and in large numbers.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well, at least they kept the "YOU CAN ONLY OBTAIN CERTAIN ITEMS FROM FRIENDS ONLY" Farmville mechanic out of STO. Be thankful for that.

Welcome to Click-and-Wait Trek Online.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Assimilated Universal Console (does not have a Mk) costs 15,000 Dilithium and 500 Omega marks for the project. The other 2 pieces of the set to go with the console are not in the list so I imagine you unlock 1 or both at tier 2.

Cutting Beam Array is unlocked at Tier 2 and Omega Torpedo Launcher is unlocked at Tier 4.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Yeah, the costs for the lower-tier items is pretty absurd. I can't see paying that much for Mk X gear when you're just going to outgrow it. It's basically fleecing the impatient.

Then you get TRIBBLE for reputation xp from the item projects, AND they take up your project slots so they kill your progression till they finish (and they're long).

I really don't know how much of this repetitive clicking I can take, I'm wondering if I'll just get fed up and quit bothering with it before I get to tier V. I can't imagine doing a couple months of endless clicking.
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The rep system is awesome, and I really feel like I'm earning my reputation. Forget the hundreds of STF runs which earned me meaningless STF accolades from both MACO or Omega Force, lauding my x number of runs and completions of optionals. All the Mk XII gear I got, didn't earn that from perseverance. Them's just for bragging rights at Club 47, clearly.

Now I just have to log in for 5 minutes, every 2 or so days, click a little, bribe the folks I previously awed with my hundreds of elite completions with optionals, log off, and wait.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    atomictikiatomictiki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    brigadooom wrote: »
    Now I just have to log in for 5 minutes, every 2 or so days, click a little, bribe the folks I previously awed with my hundreds of elite completions with optionals, log off, and wait.

This is clearly superior gameplay and game design in action. I'm surprised it's not getting the critical and player acclaim it's so deserving of.
    Leave nerfing to the professionals.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Guys, I'm not sure if the devs are bright enough to get sarcasm, so you're probably not helping...
  • Options
    xantrisxantris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Just buy excess materials... Seriously this is like a 1 minute task every 2 days. I can only imagine how badly you must rage over the doff system.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    xantris wrote: »
    Just buy excess materials... Seriously this is like a 1 minute task every 2 days. I can only imagine how badly you must rage over the doff system.

Thank you for your entirely unhelpful reply. Unfortunately:

1. Inventory/Bank slots are limited
    2. Clicking more for longer at one time so you can click for slightly less time in the future does not actually save you from any of the mindless clicking, despite what you might think.
    3. That one feature requires a lot of clicking isn't justification for new features to also feature a lot of repetitive clicking as well. In fact, some might think the game already has a lot of repetitive clicking so we'd just as soon not have more.

Also, in the doff system the clickfest at least isn't mindless. You get to choose which assignments you do, based on time, required officers, and potential rewards. The reputation system only has two advancement projects, which you do over and over for months, each one requiring numerous clicks to fill and start. The rewards in the doff system are also relatively immediate, some finishing in minutes, others in hours. The reputation system requires days, weeks, and months (all filled with repetitive clicking) before you realize your goals.
  • Options
    xantrisxantris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

2. Clicking more for longer at one time so you can click for slightly less time in the future does not actually save you from any of the mindless clicking, despite what you might think.
    3. That one feature requires a lot of clicking isn't justification for new features to also feature a lot of repetitive clicking as well. In fact, some might think the game already has a lot of repetitive clicking so we'd just as soon not have more.

It's only unhelpful because your bent on raging. It saves you on transit time to buying additional items that can't be replicated, I do believe that finding consumable merchants was one of your numerous complaints. Carrying around a couple extra slots of consumables isn't going to break your inventory. And again, it's like 1 minute every 2 days. I can certainly understand a lot of reasons for not being a fan of the system, but this is knit picking to an extreme.
  • Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I can't find anything in the OP to disagree with.
  • Options
    darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Also, in the doff system the clickfest at least isn't mindless. You get to choose which assignments you do, based on time, required officers, and potential rewards. The reputation system only has two advancement projects, which you do over and over for months, each one requiring numerous clicks to fill and start. The rewards in the doff system are also relatively immediate, some finishing in minutes, others in hours. The reputation system requires days, weeks, and months (all filled with repetitive clicking) before you realize your goals.

So you feel that anytime someone has an opinion that differs from yours they're being unhelpful? Thank you for you completely arrogant reply.

EVERY player had the right to voice their opinion, whether it matches your or not.

I agree that it's only a 1 minute task every second day. That or invest in a Tuffli. That saves me HEAPS of EC.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well FarmVille is a Zynga game right?

Were was it DStahl was working a little over a year ago?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas