Install Arc
Options

Risa Vaction Outfit Pack

2»

Comments

• Options
    hatepwehatepwe Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This is essetially the crux of the issue as I understand it. We would need some tech (that we don't have now) that would limit a costume to a specific map. If we had that, we could allow people to wear swimsuits and pixel clouds on Risa, but they wouldn't be able to run around ESD, or Unimatrix 1 with them on.

The problem is that we do not have that tech at the moment, and it has not been a priority to develop that.
    -The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Would that tech also be capable of switching us to a certain outfit slot?

I'm thinking for things like the Foundry and future missions that it'd be nice if the system could see character gender and face/skin tone and from there generate a costume from a set of pre-defined choices (defined by mission author)

So we have the option to say "Investigate spontaneous generation of a sentient life inside the Chicago History program on the holodeck" and when the player arrives they've got a suit/dress on from the contemporary fashion pack.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited November 2012
    nikdanger wrote: »
    Seriously, what's the difference between this and the Orion slave girl outfits?

The difference is that unlike Orion babes the risa girls do wear other pieces that are not unlocked for Orions. Fed overknee boots for example. Which according to the devs is also not possible since Orion and Fed women have a different model ...
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    tacofangs wrote: »
    This is essetially the crux of the issue as I understand it. We would need some tech (that we don't have now) that would limit a costume to a specific map. If we had that, we could allow people to wear swimsuits and pixel clouds on Risa, but they wouldn't be able to run around ESD, or Unimatrix 1 with them on.

The problem is that we do not have that tech at the moment, and it has not been a priority to develop that.

You could always make the visual just tied to an armor set, maybe one with negative stats in some areas. (But maybe boosts to things like Development CXP.)

That wouldn't stop such outfits from being worn on ESD but people do wear swimwear on space stations and ship interiors a good bit in Trek.

If you really wanted to police it, have the folks in the swimsuits:

Drip water, ala just getting out of the pool.
    Glossed up.
    Run slower in addition to stat nerfs. (Heck, maybe you could make it so that social clothes shift people into walking by default and lower sprint speed to something below normal runspeed.)

Idea being that they're wet and slow moving.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The difference is that unlike Orion babes the risa girls do wear other pieces that are not unlocked for Orions. Fed overknee boots for example. Which according to the devs is also not possible since Orion and Fed women have a different model ...

It's not exactly a different model. It's that the costume pieces have more clashing/clipping potential.

As a rule, the "bare" costume sets would all work fine with Fed items because Fed suits are skintight but it would require asset tagging.
  • Options
    suprcheesesuprcheese Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Player costumes are already controlled client-side, so having an option to force swimsuits to never display shouldn't be an issue. Alternatively, the enterprising modder could make it so people always wear swimsuits... or always wear something else, or even nothing at all. Most visuals in STO are easily changeable from client to client.
    There is no problem in the galaxy that cannot be solved with sufficient application of firepower.
  • Options
    hylanvahrhylanvahr Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I second the notion of the temporary festival idea above, but wasn't surprised Cryptic responded with a "lack of tech" explanation. I could be wrong, but I think it's also in due to the lack of personnel to help with this extra stuff, in spite of the new staff recently added to the STO team. Most of the love from the company is going towards them finishing Neverwinter. Imagine if STO had the same attention and people behind it today as Neverwinter does now...

If Cryptic was a one-game company, you can bet "tech" wouldn't be as much an issue, let alone the shame of Federation worlds being left hanging as mostly empty, static, and pointless since launch (Andoria should have an underground city, imo, since they have been established in canon as a subterranean society, but I digress). Cryptic's resources are stretched thin, is probably under the gun constantly by Perfect World corporate to get new things added under fixed and unreasonable deadlines (like with most companies), and I don't think we can expect much, if any development on fun little stuff like beachwear anytime soon...unless we convinced them of a way for them to make good profit on Risa. I just hope that if they do finally come around, that they don't turn the Federation worlds into slimy Ferengi style open-air markets...unless the method of exchange was GPL, and not Lobi. ;)
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm surprised this hasn't happened.

Cryptic I would pay real $$$$ for bikinis.

Please take our money. Scantily-clad women = Trek canon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So on the one hand it is ok for Federation and Klingon toons to be attacking Unimatrix zero in Ferengi D'kora, Jem Bugs, Galors, etc...

but....

If someone wants to visually have a swimsuit while doing it is jut wrong?

As people have pointed out we can do those things wearing zoot suits and formal dresses now. I am kind of seeing a double standard here that does not jive. I agree that we should have some freedom in this. I mean it is only what our toon is wearing and customizing them.
  • Options
    commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    kirksplat wrote: »
    I'm surprised this hasn't happened.

Cryptic I would pay real $$$$ for bikinis.

Please take our money. Scantily-clad women = Trek canon.

100% agree.
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

in Doomsday machine you swapped out the complete character model with a Klingon Hologram.

swapping out some clothing options should be a bit more complicated... but seems not too far away from this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I am reminded of the -years- it took to get the Widow skirts in City of Heroes ...
  • Options
    darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    How about a Vacation Costume slot, similar to the old Off Duty.

Only the "Vaction Costumes" could be used there like the Off Dutys were.
    Player could get 1 default slot, more could be purchased.

If you have a Vacation Costume slot activated, ie that is the costume you have toggled "On", and you entered a "Restricted Zone", (new tech?) it is sensed and your auto changed to your Costume slot #1 uniform.
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    You could always make the visual just tied to an armor set, maybe one with negative stats in some areas. (But maybe boosts to things like Development CXP.)

That wouldn't stop such outfits from being worn on ESD but people do wear swimwear on space stations and ship interiors a good bit in Trek.

If you really wanted to police it, have the folks in the swimsuits:

Drip water, ala just getting out of the pool.
    Glossed up.
    Run slower in addition to stat nerfs. (Heck, maybe you could make it so that social clothes shift people into walking by default and lower sprint speed to something below normal runspeed.)

Idea being that they're wet and slow moving.

I could see it happening this way.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Make it so
    :cool:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Enforce "enable Visals" for the body armor slot in ground STFs. Nobody sane who wants the mission succsessful will refuse a body armor there.
  • Options
    skurfskurf Member Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Who cares about PvP balance, give us Klingon sunglasses!...that shoot subnuc beams -_-
  • Options
    nikdangernikdanger Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Thanks, but I was speaking from a moralistic (voyeuristic?), not a technical, standpoint. :cool:
This discussion has been closed.