test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Foundry Rewards: Are They Incentives?

Comments

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    1440 dilithium ore for 3 missions (480 per mission) is in line with the reward for other similar dailies such as exploration, the missions in Orellius & Eta Eridani, empire defense, etc. However, the only one of those I do anymore is exploration, and thats only because there are accolades involved that I still don't have. So no, the dilithium is not going to convince me to play 3 real missions a day, there are just better ways of earning it. If it was one mission, I'd do it, but not three.
  • Options
    wilkaastwilkaast Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Right now, in game, you can cap your daily dilitium limit in less than an hour.

Academy quiz (480, 1 minute)
    Daily report (1440, 1 minute)
    Explore B'TRan, Strange New World (2880, maybe 30 minutes)
    Eridani mission x3 (1440, barely 15 minutes for the 3)

And then maybe an Elit STF, or just Turn over contraband, plus any DOFF assignments you had running, and you are done.

In facts its a bit boring, because even if you WANT to grind, you are artificially limited and have to roll Alts to get more. But the fact is that a lot of players (not all of them, plenty of people do not even know about the console clickers, or the Eridani missions, etc) are expecting this return.

Now, if we look at Foundry missions, what do we find? 2 things: super quick missions designed to complete the Daily as fast as possible, and complex, long, story-driven missions designed to tell a story and (hopefully) entertain.

Why do we play? To get the next thing: a gun, a ship, a costume, etc. Why would I spend time doing stuff in a game which do not give me any appreciable reward? You just don't.

So, how to make people run those mission? Adding more reward is one way. But in any other MMO, quest never give you "worthwhile" gear. Its normally stuff you will vendor, or maybe use a day or two while you grind for the next cool thing.

People are talking about immersion, about proper rewards, and are wondering how to get people to play their scenarios.

Problem 1: Foundry mission are all Fan-Fiction, and I'm sorry but there is a reason why its a job to be a writer. Lots of Foundry dialoque is just terrible, the stories are often badly constructed, etc. There are gems in there, but you have to weed out the TRIBBLE.

Solution: give bonus Dilitium to reviewers. Lets reward people to find the really good missions in there.

Problem 2: Immersion. So, the new Romulus zone, pretty nifty, hey? Well, imagine if Foundry mission were set in places you know? What if Cryptic designed a few more maps, so we could just EXPLORE. Vulcan and Bajor are a good example of a good-sized map that are fun to run around. Now put some anomalies I can scan in there, random mobs I can kill, and let the mission take place there.

BUT!

Instead of a list of mission, why not "anchor" the mission to a physical point on a map? So, lets say you go to Risa. There is a cave somewhere south of the maps. You see it and you go, and there, after looking around, you find an object you can interact with! OH MY, this is a mission! OF course you could also have a listing of the missions, some reviews, etc. but it would encourage you to go around and look for stuff, so people would explore every nooks and crany of every maps just to find those famous, hard to find, and very cool missions.

Problem 3: Reward. This one is easy, really. Have the mission give about 480 Dil per 15 minutes of play, but also add random TRIBBLE, MOSTLY ENERGY CREDITS, but also scan-able anomalies! I want to loot ALL the mobs! Now you kill 12 bad guys and find a small hypo, its just sad. Why not 10-50 EC per guys, PLUS what we have right now. This way, if I want to spend all day doing Foundry missions, I will end up Dilitium capped, richer by a few thousands more EC, and have a bag full of data samples, at least.

Finally, give cosmetic rewards. In a set up where missions are linked to places, you could get, for example, a bathing suit if you complete 10 missions on Risa, or a Vulcan robe if you do them on Vulcan, etc. Those are not game breaking at all, and people love them, plus the models already exist.

Then, add a Very Rare DOFF to each zone, and make it an achievement to get it ( lets say play 25 missions to get, or something)

We are all having a nerd day here, I donno, maybe this an interesting place to go to with the Foundry.

TL:DR: Anchor the mission to existing maps, time the reward to 480 Dil per 15 minutes of play, give me more drops, reward reviewers.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    B'Tran daily have been removed. also relying on DOFF assignments dont work.
    I actually get most of my dil from doffing. They're not guaranteed, but there's a lot of dil to be gained from it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    wilkaastwilkaast Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    B'Tran daily have been removed. also relying on DOFF assignments dont work.

True, starting next week. But the point is mostly to have an idea of what people expect as a reward for X amount of time played.
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If they pull the clickies I will probably not see another Foundry mission for years.

I HATE THAT THEY ARE REMOVING THE "CLICKIES" I'M AN ADULT HERE PLAYING A VIDEO GAME ONCE PER WEEK CAN BE TOO MUCH. I LIKED JUST PLAYING 45 minutes a day and leveling up with doff missions, some clickies and the lore mission at the academy. and maybe selling TRIBBLE on the exchange. I rarely play any missions only when i have more time on my hands. I don't thing 13 year olds are the target market of this game we are adults who find it hard to justify sitting down and playing a video game for 2 or three hours every day.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    [QUOTE=wilkaast;6506611
    TL:DR: Anchor the mission to existing maps, time the reward to 480 Dil per 15 minutes of play, give me more drops, reward reviewers.[/QUOTE]

That is actually an amazingly great idea!

Create a system where once a foundry mission has been properly 'checked/reviewed/whatever' by trusted individuals who could loose the ability to do that if they are bad at it and then hook them up all around the game world.

That would be amazing and would really help foundry especially with the reward you stated. Only let it stack up to say an hour or hour in a half.

And sure people will AFK it but who really cares. It is no where near as exploitable as the current system.

That would remove the largest 'barrier to entry' for the playerbase. Don't like the mission? Just try it for 15 minutes and then drop it. Don't feel like searching a boring list? Thats cool you will simply run into them.

And it would actually add that 'explore' aspect back in a little bit as there would be tons and tons of them created and linked up. Imagine things from a simple patrol to the dramatic story mission everywhere!

MAKE THIS HAPPEN CRYPTIC! It is not often that a brilliant idea like that comes along. It solves 98% of the problems facing foundry usage!
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    wilkaast wrote: »
    Right now, in game, you can cap your daily dilitium limit in less than an hour.

Academy quiz (480, 1 minute)
    Daily report (1440, 1 minute)
    Explore B'TRan, Strange New World (2880, maybe 30 minutes)
    Eridani mission x3 (1440, barely 15 minutes for the 3)

[/B]

Clickies and one of the B'tran totals are going away.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    theultimatextheultimatex Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Sorry Kirkfat, it is still not worth my time. Due to the changes, I will be too busy grinding. It's what I have been doing all Sunday so far, and S7 is not even here yet. *sigh*

I miss being able to just play this game for fun of time. I just say BRING BACK Monthly fees Cryptic of say $5 a month. Having to spend $50 in a month to avoid the hassles I know S7 will bring is not fun. Though the fact that I spent far more than the monthly fee this month on Dilt guarantees that will never happen, which guarantees Kirkfat that I will never play your 70+ hou developed foundry mission no matter the reward.
  • Options
    theultimatextheultimatex Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I HATE THAT THEY ARE REMOVING THE "CLICKIES" I'M AN ADULT HERE PLAYING A VIDEO GAME ONCE PER WEEK CAN BE TOO MUCH. I LIKED JUST PLAYING 45 minutes a day and leveling up with doff missions, some clickies and the lore mission at the academy. and maybe selling TRIBBLE on the exchange. I rarely play any missions only when i have more time on my hands. I don't thing 13 year olds are the target market of this game we are adults who find it hard to justify sitting down and playing a video game for 2 or three hours every day.

I'm with ya buddy. I have other things to do. Unfortunately their solution is if you are an adult, you will need to spend real life adult money for zen to get to the same goal you are getting for free today.
  • Options
    darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited November 2012
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Yeah, but folks would probably just play one mission once, and then start zooming through it, skipping every dialogue to get the purple 12 gear.

The mission that I played today takes well over an hour to read and enjoy. I was just curious about the reward so I "f"ed through the whole thing (since I knew where to go). That took about 20 minutes.

Without a timer, all of it will just be abused.

Yeah, and you think that cryptic removing the dilithium sources will magically make those same people who did the clicky missions, suddenly want to sit through a 1-2 hour mission for 1440 dilithium and a crappy Mk10 drop?

Nope, those people will still find the barest minimum mission that qualifies for the officer reports, and just ignore the spotlight daily....

You agreed with the right idea in the tribble thread. Make the spotlight reward a choice between 1440 dilithium or the drop. ;)
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    to make it short... //edit: argh... every time! SHORT... lol

Dilithium / Fleetmarks / EC / XP...

those things are not "incentive"
    those things are "compensation" for the TIME spend.

the loot in STO is crappy, has always been crappy, will always be crappy.

they could drop Purple XI items, still nothing i would care about.

STF's drop Proto Salvage all the time, i do not need any more DEFAULT XII items, purple or blue or whatever, i turn those Drops in for Dilithium.

Having those drops is of course OK.
    After all there will also be players who do not have good gear yet and might actually have a use for it. But that is a minority, the exception.

So what makes me play for example STFs?
    It is not the dilithium, the dilithium is NICE, REAL NICE, it feels rewarding, but the real reason i play STFs is... I WANT THAT DAMN HELMET!!!!

Not even the Stats of the items... just the cosmetic ...a Visual!

Something UNIQUE, something that i can get no other way!

Something that is hard enough to get to say "this guy knows what he is doing".

So... for the Foundry, of course we do not want to push any must have items in there that could change PvP balance.

I'd say cosmetic items only, or convenience items.

- Clothing Options, things that are more off duty, less formal, no uniforms, more clothing options for Klingons, Captain Proton / Dixon Hill visuals... things that would probably not sell in the C-Store, but would be fun to have in-game.
    - Emotes
    - more Hair Options
    - Risa Beach Wear...

If there are powers in the reward system... i would make things like, faster Sector Space travel, faster transwarp Cooldowns... useful for sure, but not game changing for PvPers

And then, we have the Foundry Spotligh missions.
    Those should get UNIQUE rewards. like any other Episode Mission Cryptic made, simple as that, not some generic random default loot.

Of course that would mean Dev Hours and WORK, but imho that is the only way to go, long term.

For now, without any huge updates to the foundry itself.

It's a first and important Step to have the "numeric compensation" in place.

But when the day comes and all the Neverwinter Tech makes it's way into STO, which will be at least a full Season Update on its own.
    At that time, i fully expect a complete Reputation System for the Foundry with unique rewards that will make people WANT to play it!

And once people have FUN playing foundry missions (i know there are many awesome missions!) then they will be hooked before they know it!

The real challenge is to get the foundry into the players daily (or weekly) routine.
    Grinding some Dilithium with clickies... that is an easy daily routine.

Some facts to overcome are also
    - a horrible laggy UI (if i even open the Community Authored Tab my FPS instantly drops to 10 FPS).
    - the UI does not remember what missions i already played (the icon becomes yellow, but 3 days later it forgets about it again... and i can't remember it all myself either!)
    - if i start with a 1/5 mission, i want to *tag* / subscribe to the author so i get notified when mission 2/5 becomes available.

well those are the things why i don't play foundry as much as it would deserve it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    So... for the Foundry, of course we do not want to push any must have items in there that could change PvP balance.
    Meh.... balanced PvP= stale...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    captainmerzancaptainmerzan Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    darkenzedd wrote: »
    Yeah, and you think that cryptic removing the dilithium sources will magically make those same people who did the clicky missions, suddenly want to sit through a 1-2 hour mission for 1440 dilithium and a crappy Mk10 drop?

Nope, those people will still find the barest minimum mission that qualifies for the officer reports, and just ignore the spotlight daily....

You agreed with the right idea in the tribble thread. Make the spotlight reward a choice between 1440 dilithium or the drop. ;)

you are absolutly correct but what most people and cryptic seems to be missing well not cryptic cause they know what there doing trying to make people buy dilithium, but those of us who are active fleet members dont have timefor all this dilithium grinding and reputation system grinding embassy grinding and so on and play all these foundry missions, infect all they will do is push people away from the foundry, and as for myself i would once in a great while do a foundry mission for fun but now sence there trying to force me into doing full blown foundry missions ill not do any of them. see with people trying to force them doesnt work , trying incouragment does.
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If they pull the clickies I will probably not see another Foundry mission for years.

This. I didn't even touch foundry missions before I was able to breeze through and carry on with the parts of the game I liked.

Speaking with Jotun at ESD or scanning that damned console on Qo'nos was either the first or last thing I'd do in the game. Most others were just shooting the **** in zone or running the occasional stf/colony invasion.

Even now the only time I run a foundry mission is when I can't stand the lack of actual content in the end game environment.

If I have to sink the bulk of my time into getting a piddly 1440 dilithium I'll just grind away on something else and leave the foundry to rot.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited November 2012
    The foundry missions are very confusing to
    Select I'n the first place and it takes a lot
    Of time to even find one that appears interesting to play

High risk of a poor mission from my very limited
    Experience .

Doing stfs I can do 4. Elites per hour and 60 + doff missions
    That's 4k+ dilithium and a little loot

So a foundry reward needs to be 4k dilithium plus
    Some loot to interest me. For each hour. A blue or
    Purple doff, mk12 weapon or console

:)
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    luxchristianluxchristian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Sorry Kirkfat, it is still not worth my time. Due to the changes, I will be too busy grinding. It's what I have been doing all Sunday so far, and S7 is not even here yet. *sigh*

I miss being able to just play this game for fun of time. I just say BRING BACK Monthly fees Cryptic of say $5 a month. Having to spend $50 in a month to avoid the hassles I know S7 will bring is not fun. Though the fact that I spent far more than the monthly fee this month on Dilt guarantees that will never happen, which guarantees Kirkfat that I will never play your 70+ hou developed foundry mission no matter the reward.

Why are you grinding so much? There is nothing in the game worth grinding entire Sundays. But I'm the kind of player who doesn't need his starbase to be T5 in 7 months or get his reputation to T5 in 2 months.
    I will even delete 1 of my 3 (all VA) chars because grinding is something for stupid chinafarmers.

I am enjoying the foundry missions. Several of them have better writing and more original storylines than most missions from Cryptic. (Oh god, the one with the tribbles and the klingons was awful. Most of the text was stolen from a DS9 and a Classic episode -.- )
    Now getting more loot for it is even better :-)
  • Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The reward is random. You could get blue or better gear or a special Duty Officer mini pack. Something like that, kind of like what you get on Nukara.

This is not work my time. Maybe a Foundry Reputation system with some unique items.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    An hour and a half for 1440 dil and 50 marks?

Yeah, no thanks.

I have no interest in slogging through someone's heavy-handed two-and-a-half hour morality-tale epic just to get the dil I need for a ship.

No more than forty-five minutes, I'd say; the same run time as an episode of Star Trek minus commercials.
  • Options
    ussrevravenussrevraven Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    As someone in a small fleet with few active members, the Fleet Marks from the Foundry daily really helped, and my playtime is limited, so the console clickers helped ease things along, if ever so slightly.

With the change to the Foundry wrapper, all this will cease. I've played a few Foundry missions and have zero interest in someone's fan fiction they've managed to recreate using the crude tools of the Foundry. There's little extra incentive that could be offered to make me want to sit though such....offerings, as it were.

I'm not clamoring for the devs to change it back, just offering my thoughts on it. The Foundry was a neat idea but it hasn't really gelled with STO that well (which is understandable, since it was created for Neverwinter). The best Foundry missions should be polished and put in game so they can be truly excellent rather than the mediocre quality that the limited Foundry tools provide. As it is what the Foundry offers in terms of content is limited from both a technical and a creative side, and I don't have any interest in playing that content.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    NO.
    Not worth my time.
    I've played foundry missions because I enjoy them AFTER I've done my daily grind on my toons. Now that the grind will take longer I probably wont have time to play foundry missions.

I certainly won't take a chance on a mission that COULD be an hour or more, for 1440 dilithium.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    jexsamx wrote: »
    An hour and a half for 1440 dil and 50 marks?

Yeah, no thanks.

I have no interest in slogging through someone's heavy-handed two-and-a-half hour morality-tale epic just to get the dil I need for a ship.

No more than forty-five minutes, I'd say; the same run time as an episode of Star Trek minus commercials.
    Well if morality TRIBBLE bores you you can try B'Vat's Legacy. No moral delimmas at all, just hundreds of klingons to massacre.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    darkenzedd wrote: »
    So long as the Nagus dailies count for the officer reports, I will continue doing them and the a couple of longer missions at the weekend.
    If the devs decide that the Nagus dailies do not count, I will simply not bother to play anything in the foundry.

As others have said, 1440 Dilithium and some random drop is no where near enough to warrant playing 3 foundry missions that could take upwards of 2 hours to complete.
    Change the reward to 6-8000 Dilithium for officer reports and it would be worthwhile and forget about the random drop.
    I do not gamble in real life so I refuse to gamble on virtual random drops and lockboxes....

Having read this, I went and ran of set of Nagus Dailies (now called the {UFP} Dailies). They were quick, offered experience, and even some drops.

I think they would fit the bill nicely. You complete them individually (instead of 1 click to complete 3 missions).

And quite a variety, looks like ground and space. (I plaved the first 3 distress calls).

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • Options
    darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited November 2012
    Having read this, I went and ran of set of Nagus Dailies (now called the {UFP} Dailies). They were quick, offered experience, and even some drops.

I think they would fit the bill nicely. You complete them individually (instead of 1 click to complete 3 missions).

And quite a variety, looks like ground and space. (I plaved the first 3 distress calls).

Yup, those are the ones I run regularly. Like short patrol missions. :D
  • Options
    drudgydrudgy Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Honestly i'd be fine with that, but I also play missions just to play them. I know all the missions I've made take about 20 to 30 min to complete, but they (at least I think) are good solid missions that don't take a long time to do. My one Federation series can be completed in about an hour and it's 3 missions long. Lots of missions out there are multiple part missions so they can be easily broken up into manageable chunks.

What I would like to see is more people playing good story missions, rather than exploiting the daily with simple one / two click and done missions like these changes are supposed to prevent. As an author myself i'd much rather play a good story mission, and enjoy what someone spent a lot of time and effort to make.

One thing I hope to see is the quality of missions in the Foundry get better due to these changes, and not be flooded with all the exploit missions. That would give the honest Foundry authors a chance to have their missions played for what they are, instead of a quick way to complete a daily mission.
    f3wrLS.jpg
  • Options
    lillithiaelillithiae Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    What do you think about the overwhelmingly negative feedback regarding the foundry spotlight reward? Are you going to adjust it based on the feedback or ignore it?
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    not sure this needed a new thread if there is already a thread on it (edit -and now its been merged), but this is the new reward that is not even live yet, and is more than what we had before.

so i imagine they will wait until the whole playerbase uses it for a while to see if it actually needs adjusting. players generally always want more than they are given.
  • Options
    romuzariiromuzarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Yeah, but folks would probably just play one mission once, and then start zooming through it, skipping every dialogue to get the purple 12 gear.

The mission that I played today takes well over an hour to read and enjoy. I was just curious about the reward so I "f"ed through the whole thing (since I knew where to go). That took about 20 minutes.

Without a timer, all of it will just be abused.
    I've got one answer to counter this forever and ever:

Have you ever recorded a TV show and skipped the tv commercials or watching live and walked away when the commercials were on? Yeah, I thought you had and will continue forever and ever except for superbowl commercials, probably, assuming you even like NFL football. This is no kind of an excuse to not give only MKXII consoles.

What would be worth it to me to play foundry missions instead of never, would be bare minimum MKXI-MKXII purple consoles, and they don't need to be guaranteed to drop. They can just have a chance to drop although with this setup I expect MKXII onry and even then a better drop rate than what I saw in STFs. Out of 250 STFs I only ever saw maybe 10 purple drops total in opt bag and if I recall correctly and I could get purples from my personal bag, like 2 of those or whatever. You know, TRIBBLE THAT for the foundry might as well not bother.

Also maybe a new ship set that will drop also, kind of like how the tholian ground set worked minus the TRIBBLE. Throw that in and everyone would be doing the foundry. Point is they could make us want to do this stuff. Problem is them caring.
  • Options
    willy01pwewilly01pwe Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Not worth the time and very disturbing in light of other dilithium sinks added in Season 7.

I've never been so disappointed in an upcoming content release as I am with S7. I had really hoped to be around to see my third anniversary (gold subscriber since day 1 of launch, yes, I did the 1000 day rewards the HARD way, I wasn't grandfathered in like all the $200 LTS people and I had to wait for my Chimera about 18 days after all those people claimed their instant rewards).

After all the dilithium sinks and nerfs that came before THIS, I was really on the fence on whether to continue playing STO. These changes to the Officer Reports daily are like a pointed stick just poking me and prodding me and wanting me to fall off.

Big mistake, Cryptic.
    --
    No Star Trek Series went past Season 7.

Will Star Trek Online survive Season 7?