test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Foundry Rewards: Are They Incentives?

Comments

• Options
    rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Let me be blunt. Foundry authors I give 10/10 for doing their best but -10000 for the fact what they create is by and large a pile of tribble poo.

These new rewards. Not worth a jot. I'll get my rewards elsewhere. Sorry but the reward isnt worth the effort esp to a caual to moderate player like me.

All the ones Ive played have made me either rage quit. Get bored or face palm in disbelief. Sorry.
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
  • Options
    rikwesselsrikwessels Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I won't play 2-3 hours for 1440 dilithium ( academy event only lasts 1 hour and brings in a lot more , just an example ) .I have said from the beginning : they should give a very special reward for completing the featured foundry mission . For example : chance to get a rare console or even ship upon completion ( no matter how small % that chance would be you'd see folks flocking to the foundry , witness the lockboxes success ) .

In addition to the chance to win such a rare item , folks would learn to appreciate the player-created content as a bonus . But removing the fast-click foundry missions reward and thinking that will solve it is living in fantasy-world ( or not giving a d**n about foundry in the first place )
  • Options
    r37r37 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    300k Ec & at least 3500 dli for a full 60m of foundry, and that's minimum to put it back on my list as something to do daily.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If most foundry missions were worth playing it would be great, but the truth is that about 10% to 15% of foundry authors do an excellent job in their story telling.
    A good foundry file consist of the follwing:

A) Adequate timing and pacing - meaning the mission should range between 20mins to 45min top. This also means the story arc needs to be adequately paced.

B) Story content - it needs meaningful & believeable story content that is Star Trek related.

C) True to Canon & reality (Least in a science kind of way) - Having the appearance or reference to other sci fi shows is not the way to go etc...

D) Rewards - Is it a rewarding experience, is the one playing your mission feel rewarded?

Also: the Dev part should incorporate more than just a dilithium reward - The reward as is, does not merit the time spent in these foundry missions.

People value their time & reward over story content per se, especially now that S7 is Grind heavy.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    carnifex45carnifex45 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    a question.
    as I report to Starfleet?
    I get reportade with hail rstelar fleet but not to me is hayguien tell me where it is please
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    carnifex45 wrote: »
    a question.
    I get reportade with hail rstelar fleet but not to me is hayguien tell me where it is please

I am willing to help you but I am afraid I do not understand your question.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    carnifex45 wrote: »
    a question.
    I get reportade with hail rstelar fleet but not to me is hayguien ??? tell me where it is please

no idea what this question is asking. I tried.
  • Options
    rehpicrehpic Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    A foundry mission will count towards the daily wrapper mission if its average play time is 20 minutes or longer, not the 30, 45, or 60 minutes that have been suggested by various posts in this thread. So completing three such missions should take a bit over an hour.
    Lead Programmer: Neverwinter
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    rehpic wrote: »
    A foundry mission will count towards the daily wrapper mission if its average play time is 20 minutes or longer, not the 30, 45, or 60 minutes that have been suggested by various posts in this thread. So completing three such missions should take a bit over an hour.

As a Foundry author, I am going to attempt to make a series of 3 interconnected 20 (ish) minute episodes worth doing daily. Resulting in one 60 (ish) minute in total series of missions for the daily wrapper.

Thanks for this info, Rehpic !
  • Options
    fakehilbertfakehilbert Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    In other words: if we have made missions that copy Cryptic's own "shoot 5 / scan 5" format of the patrol missions, our foundry missions most likely won't count for the daily.

I am disappointed, but one gets used to disappointment with STO.
  • Options
    eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Spending an hour in The Foundry isn't worth 1440 Dil.

Cryptic, why don't you remove the 480 Dil reward from the Lore Daily also and be done with it! Then I won't bother logging in every day. Maybe then you'll finally be pleased.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited November 2012

And exactly what does the Foundry publishing system (as it exists now), use to determine/calculate the average play time of a given mission. Authors need to know 9and know reliably) as it's now a VERY HIGH certainty that any missions that don't meet this minimum average time requirement will nevere be played.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

So basically, since new missions need 5 plays to get an average playtime, people won't get any reward to play our newly released stuff. That's genius! I'm pretty sure all your team spent at lease 15 seconds thinking to the requirements and consequences before making such a wonderful decision. Now every single new mission will stay in the limbo forever, unless you're a spotlighted author.

Irony apart, please don't make arbitrary decisions like that before asking the playerbase what the problems could be, if you're not willing to truely try to anticipate on the consequences by yourself. You know I'm here to enjoy a game, not to be a lab rat for game designers. You guys need to learn to do a comprehensive testing of the stuff you do, instead of doing things like "let's do this and let's see if it works". :(

Yeah I'm not a spotlighted author, and even if I have good ratings I guess it'll never happen to me because all what Branflakes does to select the new spotlights is taking the most played missions. Now creating new missions will mean no one will ever play them because they have no reason to do so, with everyone worrying about the hard work required to reach their dilithium daily cap - what's the point for me to ever log in on the Foundry again?
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    edited November 2012

rehpic, why I truly understand the logic behind what CRYPTIC is doing, I do have a concern, well more like an observation. The title of this thread is called "New Foundry Rewards: Are They Incentives?"

Here is the problem, there aren't any new rewards but an apparent nerfing of sort. Lets do the math shall we, 3 Foundry missions thats 20minutes apiece equals to a total of 60minutes, hardly worth 1440 in Dilithium. It is nice to play them for the sake of playing them from time to time, but with everything so centered on grind I recommend that an additional reward be added to them.

Some folks recommend things like appropriate level consoles rare and above, or a good sum of EC along with the Dilithium. Make it so that people will actually see the foundry files worth playing.

Also please add a time display to these files so players know which ones qualify for the Dilithium rewards and which ones do not.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    stark2k wrote: »
    rehpic, why I truly understand the logic behind what CRYPTIC is doing, I do have a concern, well more like an observation. The title of this thread is called "New Foundry Rewards: Are They Incentives?"

Here is the problem, there aren't any new rewards but an apparent nerfing of sort. Lets do the math shall we, 3 Foundry missions thats 20minutes apiece equals to a total of 60minutes, hardly worth 1440 in Dilithium. It is nice to play them for the sake of playing from time to time, but with everything so centered on grind I recommend that an additional reward be added to them.

the 1440 dil was never meant to be done in 5 seconds of clicking one button, so I really can't see them increasing that because people are mad that they can't just press a button and get instant Dil....the time is almost the same amount of time if one rushes to do all 3 Defra dallies in one shot if they rush through it.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    the 1440 dil was never meant to be done in 5 seconds of clicking one button, so I really can't see them increasing that because people are mad that they can't just press a button and get instant Dil....the time is almost the same amount of time if one rushes to do all 3 Defra dallies in one shot if they rush through it.

I would tend to believe that the Foundry should be supported, though I understand the 5 sec clicker issue, but why not allow Foundry authors to create missions that are 10minutes or more, and not regulate it at 20minutes or more.

You can create good story content that last 10minutes and not localized to clicking consoles of sort. It will be a true mission. The way I am seeing it that CRYPTIC is hindering the authors freedom by penalizing a file via a time gate of sort.

This is not about angry people, but about including an incentive to play those files. I play the files from time to time because there are authors I deem very good, which is about 10% to 15% of the Author base. However; there are times where I would ike to simply fulfill the Dilithium reward requirement as fast and efficient as possible (Again not referring to console clicking). I am referring to short missions that are still well within a good time frame, I think 10minutes is fair.

20 minute foundry mission prerequiste will just make me move on to a more simpler Dilithium reward activity. Players are already being corral into a Grind mode, and this will only make the Foundry something to be avoided by a casual player.

It is like someone said here, only the Spotlight missions would most likely be given any attention, and generally more out of curiousity.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited November 2012

Wow, okay then that's me out of the foundry for good. I have much better and more profitable things to be doing in that hour required that earns me much more than 1440 Dilithium.

Cryptic, I thought you were in favour of the Foundry? This decision leads me to believe you do not want people to use it....
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Hmm, I was hoping the Old good Nagus dailies would qualify for the wrapper. Apparently they won't. 1 hour for the daily is a little too high a time price for me.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

but THAT is exactly the problem!

what if i play 3 missions that take ~5 hours or more?

i still get 1440
    not 1440 x 5
    because your "wrapper" does not work that way.

we would need a ... "ticker" that gives 480 every 20 minutes of foundry time, no matter if you play 1 hour or 8 hours on a mission.

yes that probably requires new tech that you don't have yet, so get on it! what are we paying you folks for? ;P

also 480 for 20 minutes is pretty low end if you consider that one player would have to play >5 HOURS a day to get his 8000 refinement limit filled, if that was even possible through Foundry alone, but that is cut off at 1440 anyway because it's a DAILY.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited November 2012
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not a spotlighted author, and even if I have good ratings I guess it'll never happen to me because all what Branflakes does to select the new spotlights is taking the most played missions. Now creating new missions will mean no one will ever play them because they have no reason to do so, with everyone worrying about the hard work required to reach their dilithium daily cap - what's the point for me to ever log in on the Foundry again?

I have featured plenty of missions that have had less than 100 reviews before the spotlight. I look for all types. Suggestions come in from the community and I love finding gems that have not been played often.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    now without sounding like im whining, i think that this was a terrable idea.

did we need to get rif of the daily click. yes, did we have to turn what is supposed to be a daily into something that eats into your time spent playing with friends and fleeties in game (doing the events they run) no..

from what i understand, cryptic is trying to stop the people who not only break it, but redefine the term "breaking". lol..
    they log on and do all of these quick missions (btran, officer reports, etc) on like fifteen tunes, thus they are getting a ton of refinable dilithium.. realistically, instead of punishing the whole lot of us, they should have made it so each character can refine 8k dilithium with something like a 20k cap on your account.

dailys are supposed to be short and to the point. they are designed to give you some sort of ingame currency and experience. however they are not designed to take up all of your time from day to day.

that being said, no, the rewards are not even close to fair for the time we are expected to spend on it.. if im gonna spend an hr. or more on a daily in this game, i would expect at least half of the daily cap for dilithium, or better yet, the 1440 would come refined, so it would not hinder your cap.. and i would expect at least 3 of each new mark and significant other rewards.. i didnt even spend more than a half hour in most of the leveling content. lol.. i dont even spend a half hour in most elite stf's. i could do three elites in the time it takes to finish all three foundry missions and be better off for it..

the juice is not worth the squeeze.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    i would rather have seen them remove the officer reports daily, than nerf it like they did. they are kind of saying that our time spent in game is not worth any real rewards lol..
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    diogene0 wrote: »
    So basically, since new missions need 5 plays to get an average playtime, people won't get any reward to play our newly released stuff. That's genius! I'm pretty sure all your team spent at lease 15 seconds thinking to the requirements and consequences before making such a wonderful decision. Now every single new mission will stay in the limbo forever, unless you're a spotlighted author.

Irony apart, please don't make arbitrary decisions like that before asking the playerbase what the problems could be, if you're not willing to truely try to anticipate on the consequences by yourself. You know I'm here to enjoy a game, not to be a lab rat for game designers. You guys need to learn to do a comprehensive testing of the stuff you do, instead of doing things like "let's do this and let's see if it works". :(

i gave up trying to make good content as the tools they provide you with to make your mission are like attempting open heart surgery with a butter knife and a spoon. it is a very frustrating experience to try to pull together a quick mission just to fool around with..

my hats off to the guys who make these very complicated missions (that in most cases blow the devs work out of the water) you sir's and mams are better than i lol..
  • Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It was really hard to try to convince players to play foundry mission on S6, now is going to be even more harder. No because the foundry changes itself, but because is going to be more harder to gain Dilithium, so if a mission don?t give Dilithium = waste of time.

And non English mission, are even more TRIBBLE now.. no chance at all for them to be on the spotlight.

Season 7 should be call "The Grind".

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Spending 2-3 hours to earn 1440 dilithium, OP? Are you insane? Or are you just trying to show PWE they should give you a job?

btw, the "Explore Strange New Worlds" or B'tran explore gives 1440 dilithium and those can be done in under 1 hour. So that 2-3 hour TRIBBLE is out of the question unless PWE wants to make the game a bigger grind.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I have featured plenty of missions that have had less than 100 reviews before the spotlight. I look for all types. Suggestions come in from the community and I love finding gems that have not been played often.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Any chance that more than one mission could be spotlighted per week?

I've published a kind of mission-arc which has Fed and KDF components. The first Fed mission happens chronologically first, the first KDF mission second, the second Fed mission third and so on. The KDF missions are intended to be similar but more Klingon to the previous Fed mission.

It'd be great if we could see the same approach taken with the spotlight - so authors could publish a pair of missions that are individually tailored to both factions.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    megraemegrae Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    well.. I think I can just go spend my time elsewhere in the game and get better reward. Sure I liked the 'console click' ones for a easy bonus with my limited time. Hell, there were even some really good missions I poked at a few times. However, a daily is not worth an hour of my time for such limited reward. Pretty sure when I was leveling I could do 3-5 missions in an hour and gain several levels, hell some of them were just as fast as the console clicking missions.

As for the 20 minutes average time, what determines the average time? You might set up your mission to actualy take 20-30mintes and then 10 people roll up that are just awesome players and blow it away in 10.. now your 'average' time is jacked. Does this also mean I could make a mission where you only enter a map to click a console and then afk for 6 hours tabbing into the game every now? Get 6 or 7 friends to do that too making the average time calculate to 6 hours to complete? That would take a while to remake the average time lower then 20 minutes unless it does not keep updating after the initial 5 players that give it the average time.

Just seems like this new system is flawed almost as bad as the other. Guess I will just add in an extra fleet event or two to make up for this change and just not bother with this daily anymore. On the plus side, its one less thing I have to do on my characters.

Twilight, Particle Physicist that stole the ship.
    Original Signup date: August 4, 2008
    LTS since Pre-Order
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

First, it's awesome that something like NW's timer thingy is now in STO.

I like the 20 minute minimum, because most of my missions are about 30 minutes. However, I'm a minority in the Foundry community. Most authors seem to have a 45 min to an hour standard goal.

So, while it's possible to do this wrapper in an hour, I think it might be nearly impossible, unless the UI directed players to the 20 minute missions. Otherwise it will be guesswork on the part of the player, and they'll likely get much longer missions, unless they hunt the mission descriptions looking for 20 minute missions.

There isn't a lot of middle ground between a 2 minute clickie and a 45 minute mission. A 20 minute Foundry mission is probably the rarest of all.

Maybe this new standard will gradually change the standard to 20 minutes, and we'll see the hour long missions broken up into 3 parts (if someone has the slots).

But, if I understand the system here, what is going to happen is this. 20 minute missions will be zoomed through, making their average playtime fall below 20 minutes. 45 minute missions will be zoomed through, but will probably still count because they will take 15 minutes (so the average might be above 20).

But folks who actually play 3 missions that count will be playing 3 45 minute missions for 1440 dil.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lillithiaelillithiae Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

You know, it never ceases to amaze me; just when I think you guys are finally doing something right, you completely botch it up like this. What do I mean? You want people to spend at LEAST an hour to get the same reward they would for 15 minutes doing the exploration daily. How exactly do you think that encourages people to play foundry missions? If you are going to require people to play at LEAST an hours worth of missions, you better give them a higher reward than that.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited November 2012

1 hour for 1440 dilith ?

The foundry just became a ghost town.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG