Install Arc
Options

So should i stop playing?

2»

Comments

• Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    To the OP, yes you should stop. If there is one constant in this game game, then it is the constant downward spiral it has become. Don't invest your time, you will only regret it later.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    To the OP, yes you should stop. If there is one constant in this game game, then it is the constant downward spiral it has become. Don't invest your time, you will only regret it later.

Perspective...

Someone who is new to the game most likely will not mind any of what Season 7 brings.

Why attempt to taint them with your Bitter Regrets?
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    daveyny wrote: »
    Perspective...

Someone who is new to the game most likely will not mind any of what Season 7 brings.

Because I would hate to see them become someone like you or myself who has invested a ton of time into this game only to have it negating by Cryptic's latest cash grabbing nerf. Go play StarCraft or something, nothing to see here.
  • Options
    endafreshendafresh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Someone care to elaborate on what is so terribad about the Season 7 changes?
    Put it in TLDR terms, for us poor idiotic plebians, oh mighty emperors without clothes :P
  • Options
    trenttylertrenttyler Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Perspective...

The OP asked for input from the community. Unless your his intermediary, let everyone have their say. You don't have to agree with it, but i don't think its your place to ask why anyone posting here is stating a particular viewpoint. After all, that's what the OP is asking for.

As far as quitting? well most have told you to play until its no longer fun for you, that would be the best advice anyone can give you.....
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    TLDR; Cryptic has a terrible record of putting out content and when they do it always at the expense of some other content, thus it doesn't really add much in the way of content, screws the players, and only adds to their bottom line.
  • Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm having a blast in this game. I've not paid for zen yet but i'm really considering it because now i'm starting to get into customizing my characters. and really getting attached to my away team basically generally speaking i really like this game.

Your thoughts please because i want to know if i need to just ditch this game or not. I'm level 23 so far.

This is easy. And it applies to everything in life. Keep playing as long as you are having fun. When it stops being fun, quit.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    trenttyler wrote: »
    The OP asked for input from the community. Unless your his intermediary, let everyone have their say. You don't have to agree with it, but i don't think its your place to ask why anyone posting here is stating a particular viewpoint. After all, that's what the OP is asking for.

As far as quitting? well most have told you to play until its no longer fun for you, that would be the best advice anyone can give you.....

In that case...,

Does not the same apply to you questioning my question?

Mr. Rickey was nice enough to answer my question with two reasonable responses...

I may not totally agree, but I now more fully understand the reasoning behind his post.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    trenttylertrenttyler Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    In that case...,

Does not the same apply to you questioning my question?

If you cant see the difference between offering a opinion, and criticizing another's in a thread you did not start, well than there really is no reason to even have a mature discussion with you is there? Unless you are now claiming you are the OP's intermediary?

This is why these forums are never given any weight by the Dev's..........
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    If you cant see the difference between offering a opinion, and criticizing another's in a thread you did not start, well than there really is no reason to even have a mature discussion with you is there?

You misinterpreted my post...

It was not a 'Criticism' it was a question.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    If you cant see the difference between offering a opinion, and criticizing another's in a thread you did not start, well than there really is no reason to even have a mature discussion with you is there? Unless you are now claiming you are the OP's intermediary?

I've made no such claim.

Why do you wish to create antagonism?
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Honestly, i find this laughable. Leveling in this game is so easy, I actually consciously tried to level as slow as possible so that I could enjoy flying around in the lower level ships as long as possible. I have no idea how anyone could not level a character in this game up from 0 to 60 after about a month or so of play.

Especially with the Doff system it is the Ron Poppiel of RPG's, just set it and forget it!
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    TLDR; Cryptic has a terrible record of putting out content and when they do it always at the expense of some other content, thus it doesn't really add much in the way of content, screws the players, and only adds to their bottom line.

(Just so there is no misunderstanding, this is a personal observation, not a 'critique' of the above post.)

There has been a very long, on-going discussion about the 'meaning' of the word 'Content' as applied to this game.

Some folks believe that it is defined by actual progression of the main story line, through continual Featured Episodes and playable missions being added by Cryptic.

Others feel that ANY New Stuff added to the game is considered 'Content'.

I personally fall pretty much into the latter category, but have no problem with the former.

Though I do wish that when They do add new stuff, They would discontinue the practice of removing things that aren't broken.

(Broken, being another rather contentious word/idea around here)
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Yes, yes you should. Now go away before we taunt you a second time! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V7zbWNznbs
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    psymantis wrote: »
    1440 Dilithium actually. If you're going to try to defend the nerf then try doing it with accurate information.

My apologies - BTran is so far removed as far as travel time from easier and more abundant Dil sources in the game, I never used it for a Dilithium source myself. I stand corrected.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    atomictiki wrote: »
    fanbois are never honest when they defend the indefensible.

And Hyperebole users always blow EVERYTHING out of proportion, no matter how significant a change is, one way or the other. As I said above, I was an honest mistake on my part. Sorry, but I don't grind dilithium daily in every area of the game.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    theultimatextheultimatex Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm having a blast in this game. I've not paid for zen yet but i'm really considering it because now i'm starting to get into customizing my characters. and really getting attached to my away team basically generally speaking i really like this game.

but according to the droves of people out there. Season 7 will be the end of all my fun. and either i shell out 150 a month Cash in US dollars or I gimp myself to no end with MASSIVE nerfs coming to Dill. and everything moving into the C-store.

they may as well put this game back on a sub payment plan. and ditch all this cash shop business.

Your thoughts please because i want to know if i need to just ditch this game or not. I'm level 23 so far.

You're only level 23? Have you not heard about the Mirror Universe Event in the calnedar??

Anyway, I also agree that we may be better suited with a sub plan again, but just know that not Everything will cose money and it should not cost you anywhere near $150 a month with the changes. May $20 to 50 though to have total enjoyment if you do not want to grind.
  • Options
    plox21plox21 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    do what you want, why do you need people to tell you...every season it's the same...they are quitting this is the end. then they stay till the next season and repeat the circle.

1. Everybody is crying that season 7 is the end(from 1st month when game went to F2P they yell that this game will fall down in next month) , my word for them is MORONS!!! , this is not the end , so what if they nerf STF dilithium rewards....il still earn my 30+k raw dilithium per day.

2. They will make game a little hard with new reputation system and embassy.....GREAT!!

3. All informations what you get on season 7 is from tribble TEST SERVER!!! , they change stuff before release to holodeck , you know that right?.

4. On VA lvl you will need to grind for end gear , you grind in season 6 and you will grind in season 7 , so what is the problem?.. you will need more time to get stuff and you will get it because you have 100% chance to get item from reputation store , not like now when you need to pray in STF to drop prototype item that you need.

5. ZEN......What is the problem if you dont have zen points , I never pay for zen and yet i have all bridge officers that i want , all pets what i want , All ships that i want , all Costume pieces that i see good looking on my character and other stuff.

6.I got dilithium bug that forbid me to rafine my raw dilithium into rafined one for 2 months , 2 MONTHS....did i cry or did i yell that this game suck and start crying a little bit more...NO.. if you like this game and enjoy it you will see that no matter how much they nerf it , how expensive the Zen store become , how buggy it is , you will still enjoy this game and earn all end content that you like and you want.

So Keysmachine i hope that you will give this game a chance before you deicide what you will do in season 7 because this game is long way from dying.

Im not from US or GB so my english suck balls :).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited November 2012
    its really all the dil cuts that shows me they are only out for money..
    take a look at the stf gear.. it has such a high price and is it really worth it?
    a whole set of maco xii gear with weapons is like 3000-4000 zen.. thats per character.

thats crazy..

then they take away the ways to get dil free cause they want you to spend money for it.. they are greedy.

right now i have 11 characters.. when i log in i go through each one and do the daily.. this takes about an hour.. then i turn in contraband and log into a main stf char and play some stfs..

i play about 3 to 4 hours a night and get about 40k dil..

im betting after s7 i wont even get 10k in that amount of time.
    on top of that right now you only need DIL for SB projects really.. after s7 its going to be needed for everything
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • Options
    red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    You're only level 23? Have you not heard about the Mirror Universe Event in the calnedar??

Anyway, I also agree that we may be better suited with a sub plan again, but just know that not Everything will cose money and it should not cost you anywhere near $150 a month with the changes. May $20 to 50 though to have total enjoyment if you do not want to grind.

It's probable that OP doesn't really want to level super-fast. Considering I've heard of people leveling to VA 50 in two days, and then screaming at the top of their lungs how bored they are as repeatedly and loudly as possible (despite not having touched 10% of the things to do), I can't blame them.
  • Options
    red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    OP - I am not going to wade through the tons of replies you have. I don't even know if you'll get to mine.

However, the first thing you have to realize is that there are a lot of bitter, disaffected vets in this game. This is for a variety of reasons.

First, I am told that this is a general trend in MMO's - I have heard it said "if the players were given free money by the MMO company, some would complain that the bills weren't sorted in order of their serial number." This is probably not too far from the truth.

Second, simple fact of the matter is, STO got off to a really horribly rocky start. A couple of game houses gave up on the STO concept before Cryptic got it, transformed it, and implemented it; however, Cryptic needed to do so on very limited resources. After this, their old owner, Atari, sucked the blood out of them until they were barely alive. They had a tiny team, little funding, and a ton of things to try to do. And then they had to re-engineer for Perfect World and Free-To-Play.

Right now is probably the most stable period in STO's history, but a lot of the vets are ticked off. Some of them don't really care about how realistic their demands are; others feel betrayed by a variety of changes that have been made. These probably run the gammut from completely reasonable, justified grievances to completely insane, depending on the complainer and the complaint.

And the Forum is where most of this goes, and Zone chat is where some of it spills over, except Zone chat has more trolls and rumors mixed into it along with unedited rage. This is not helped by the fact that this is Star Trek, where some of the most passionate nerds in the world have pitched a nerd tent (myself included), and as such many will nitpick anything and everything since everyone and their brother has their own personal vision of what Star Trek (and in turn, STO) must be, and according to many arguments, everyone else is an idiot and/or "corrupting Gene's vision" or something along those lines.

As such you're not looking at an accurate cross-section of the population here.

The simple fact of the matter is that Season 7 is bringing a lot of changes. Some seem to be really, really awesome, such as New Romulus. Some are very controversial, such as the Reputation System, in that they might turn out awesome or they might suck horribly, or do a bit of both. And some are panned across the board as reeking of monetization (which they kinda are), such as the attachment of dil costs to a lot of these new things and to basic DOff stuff.

Ultimately, nobody really knows - but a lot of people are anticipating the worst, particularly due to changes in the DOff system and the extreme reliance by the already-expensive Starbase system. There is also fairly well-entrenched pessimism in much of the playerbase in STO - I don't know if it's like other MMO's, but it's definitely here.

So, should you leave for season 7? When it comes right down to it, that's up to you. We won't know how much of this shakes out for a few weeks. If people start leaving in droves because it's too expensive, we also might see some changes, because I don't think people are just going to keep emptying their wallets at this stuff - I doubt STO will go financially insolvent any time soon, but they also can't infinitely monetize a free-to-play game, and as F2P games go, as I understand it, this one has a good chunk of stuff to offer that's free, although an increasing amount of the really awesome stuff is getting behind ridiculously tall, Starbase-esque walls.

However, I think that something you need to do is DON'T PANIC YET. Just keep playing and having fun. The basic game will remain free, and there are still other ways of getting DOffs and the like. I doubt STO is going to flat-out die any time within the next year and may stick around for quite a long time to come, since things ARE improving and are starting to pick up the pace in that respect.

To finish off, I will give you my personal opinions on what's going to happen:

* Dil costs will decline or dil intake will increase, but not immediately.
    * DOff costs will cause Starbase construction to grind to a halt and the devs will have to rectify this somehow. Many have already slowed or stopped because of this, as a lot of people are getting very discouraged with the Starbase system.
    * The Embassy system will see similar problems to the Starbase system, but less dramatic. They may actually pick up more steam because it's cheaper to do Embassy stuff than Starbase stuff, so it's more viable when you're splitting resources between Reputation and Fleet projects.
    * New Romulus and the entire sector will be a hit and get a lot more attention than the stuff in Season 6.
    * The Reputation complaints will be all but forgotten in 2-3 months.
    * Old!Worf will dance the Charleston on the Enterprise's bridge.

One of those is a fake prediction. Guess which one!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I like the way you think...

I'll pick 'The Charleston' for 100 Alex...

:)
  • Options
    es5001es5001 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    In my opinion a lot of people who post negative comments on the forum feel that is the best, or only way to get their frustrations voiced. Please do not get discouraged by these negative comments, your experiences in the game are going to be different than someone playing for 3 years. If you ever feel it is not fun or you don't like the way something is going take a break from it go play something else for a while, many others including myself have done this.

STO has come a long way since beta and will continue to change, either improve or do things that a lot of people do not like, and will continue to do so. From looking on tribble I think this season may have some of the best content since the last featured episode series.
  • Options
    keysmachinekeysmachine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    thanks for all the replies guys.

I'm going to keep on pushing on. See i don't mind grinds. because i understand that is a staple of any MMO. you have to keep the player playing and working towards something. Liek a carrot on a stick.

if you give the player everything. then people get bored. so the grind to me i understand will always be a part of any game i play. The thing is. this grind i like because i can pick and choose what to grind. And to me i don't need obscene amounts of DILL. because i don't PVP but i do PVE. and it seems to me that PVE even if you don't pay a cent. you will not be gimped to n00b status.

Also Sci fi is where its at. I enjoy a good space game with some actual feel good action unlike Eve-online which is Microsoft excel in space.

I enjoy the music, the foundry missions give me endless entertainment. I really like some of the ones that are part of a series.

over all this game is just good fun. Star trek in a way is meant to be boring. i dunno that's how i've always felt about it. but its a fun version of boring. Scanning, traveling etc..

I dunno maybe its because i'm new.. i'm now level 25. you do level up VERY quickly by the way. sheesh. but as long as the PVE content keeps on rolling in either from talented foundry creators of cryptic. i'm on board.

And like Capt Janeway said. "strap in because its like Jonah and the whale. We're going in"
  • Options
    kirk4655kirk4655 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Greetings,

Well this is my first post and then in english okay ... let me say you something

First of all it's not required to spend money in this Game to be ''Good'' but well i think you can understand that the guys that pay in this game get some ''Privilegs'' like special ships. But F2pers Still got almost same as them and with the new starfleet starbase you got more and better chance you just need to spend some time in this game and you will be a good player i say it from experience you can't get something in 1 day or 1 week even not all in 1 month i am playing like 1 year here and i'm happy here i like the game and i am still working on the new features to get them afterall i am not anymore payin something in this game paid enough in it...

Signed,
    John

EDIT : Damn readed your last post to late :D sorry^^ but hope i could help you
  • Options
    drudgydrudgy Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Honestly I think it will all be fine. As far as I can tell, it's not nerfing the Dilithium, they are just spreading out where you can get it to a few more places and dropping down how much you would get from some places. In a sense it lets you explore a little more of the game that perhaps you typically wouldn't have.

As far as $150 a month on the C store, that's not the case. Even when the game was a subscription I would only drop $10 bucks or so but really everything in the C-Store is just fluffy stuff. (I can't even tell you how many costume slots I have, or captains I fly.) You won't be gimped at all just playing for free, but there are some "nice" things in the c-store if you do feel like dropping a little cash on it. Otherwise it's all just for show.

If you really wanted to you could sub up and get 500 Zen a month to spend on whatever you want, and even that wouldn't add up to $150 bucks unless you played for a long period of time. In which case the Lifetime sub is a more practical idea, which is what I did.

Honestly if you like the game, none of the doomsayers are going to change your mind. I always see it every time a new season is released, but it's never as bad as they seem to think. People just have to learn how to play the game a little different. It's like they say, people don't like change, but sometimes it's all for the better.
    f3wrLS.jpg