test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The awesome implications of the reputation system.

fulleatherjacketfulleatherjacket Member Posts: 980 Arc User
I predict that we'll eventually see a Cardassian reputation system. That likely means we'll get the chance for Mk XII Jem Hadar space and ground sets. It also might mean a new pure Cardassian space set.This could also translate to Deferi reputation with Breen themed rewards. Then if Ferenginar is ever added to the map, we'd get Ferengi reputation with the Ferengi set rewards. The same could be done for the Tholians, the Terran Empire, the Undine, the Gorn, and so forth. I think we're seeing the tip of the iceberg with Season 7.
Post edited by fulleatherjacket on

Comments

• Options
    gthaatargthaatar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Sounds dandy to me.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Jem'hadar Mk XII sets? Hell no! We've enough noobs joining ground & space stfs with the Mk XI ones, we don't need more of that. :D
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This is kind of the idea. they will kepp adding more and more different reputation 'factions' to help out.

by the end it will give people a lot of ways to customise their characters.
  • Options
    arcademasterarcademaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    And it's kinda easy to add more things to this system without spending an obscene amount of ressources on it. For example for the Defera/Breen reputation they can just use the dailies and the invasion zone and 1 or 2 new events for Defera Marks and they are done. This allows them to advance repeatable "endgame" content while they focus most of their development ressources on "one-time" content like Featured Episodes that a large part of the player base wants. This way they can make both camps happy. It's solid ground work for the future.

Too bad people don't give them that time and instantly cry the game will be dead tomorrow.
  • Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    And it's kinda easy to add more things to this system without spending an obscene amount of ressources on it. For example for the Defera/Breen reputation they can just use the dailies and the invasion zone and 1 or 2 new events for Defera Marks and they are done. This allows them to advance repeatable "endgame" content while they focus most of their development ressources on "one-time" content like Featured Episodes that a large part of the player base wants. This way they can make both camps happy. It's solid ground work for the future.

Too bad people don't give them that time and instantly cry the game will be dead tomorrow.

It's not the reputation system itself,it's the Dilithium you need to advance in the system that has people,rightfully,upset.
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It's not the reputation system itself,it's the 'Ridiculous Quantities of' Dilithium you need to advance in the system that has people,rightfully,upset.

This, is what's really the problem...
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Though I agree in principle, I've found the dilithium values required, at least for progression in the reputation systems on Tribble thus far, have been very managable. Of course, if eventually we have eight or ten reputations going, a new player will have to pick and choose, cause they can't advance 20 reputation projects on a 8000 dilithium daily refining limit. (Though rep projects take 40 hours, so there would be a little wiggle room, but not enough to do everything right now without the dilithium exchange or help from alts.)

But I understand it stings people, when they feel they're forced to choose between their own 'selfish' personal progression, and that of the group. Especially with Spock breathing down our necks, muttering about the needs of the many.

I like the reputation system. I'd like them to put one in (Memory Alpha for Fed, D'nowh't for Klingons) for Foundry missions, and maybe some more faction centric ones, using accolade points, crafting, or other things. Then, when they start thinking about boosting the level cap, they could (I'd prefer) hybridize progression, and attach the advancement through levels 51 or 56 (there's two ways to do it) through 60 to a Starfleet Admiralty (or High Council) reputation system, that like a starbase requires a certain level of progress to have been made among the other reputations before you can start a promotion project.

Why? Cause I don't want to hit max level the first afternoon after season 8 or 9 goes live. And besides, promotions need to be worked toward, it may just work. (Just as long as there's something to do while we wait, and something to do once we get there.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • Options
    robingbrownrobingbrown Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
    I used to have an Orion slave girl, then PWE 'perfected' her, now all I have is this lousy signature
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It's not the reputation system itself,it's the Dilithium you need to advance in the system that has people,rightfully,upset.

The dilithium cost isn't that great relative to time cost. Each rep costs maybe a few hundred thousand dilithium, including every piece of optional gear (and why you'd want every piece is beyond me). Around 100k for just the rep.

Odds are pretty good that you'll earn that over a couple of months and then you'll never have to pay for that rep again and move on.

The areas where I take issue are:

- Higher personal marginal cost relative to new STFers in set acquisition for veteran folks who are partway through a set. Even more for a costume since that will require an additional project after acquiring a set. (To be clear: No one loses anything. But odds are that someone who is 2/3rds of the way through Mk XII would fare better in costume acquisition if Cryptic delayed this patch a couple of months.)
    - Raised costs for the DOff grinder. (They might as well remove it.)
    - Reduced options for making 8k dilithium in a casual intensive play session. Which were already too low in my opinion.
    - Embassy and reps competing for fleet resources when fleet progress is already a painful crawl.

Aside from a few minor bugs, everything else looks good to me. Just because you're not used to paying dilithium for something doesn't make it unfair to pay some dilithium for that thing.

We just need better choices for how we get our dilithium. And, I think, a reasonable path to 8k for a couple of hours play without being locked into the same dailies.
  • Options
    hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    - Raised costs for the DOff grinder. (They might as well remove it.)

Yes, I forgot about that one. For the cost they put on it, unless they're going to let me choose the exact specialization of the Doff I'll be getting, I'll never touch that thing again. I'm not risking throwing away 5 perfectly sellable blue Doffs and 5000 dilithium (was it?) for another purple Chef, Bartender, Refugee or Flight Deck Officer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The Reputation system is flawed in the sense that the rewards do not reflect the investment of the player.

With this system it's like.....going to a restaurant,bringing your own groceries,cooking the food yourself and having to pay for the meal.And then they want you to leave a big tip for the owner and say 'Thank You'.
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    romuzariiromuzarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Lol. I'm sure Cryptic is going to abandon their current content design model just to make us happy with freebie featured episodes.

They had a golden opportunity to do what you suggest in s7. They declined and overcomplicated everything when they coulda just made drop rates higher and threw us a few assignments to turn MKXI gear into MKXII. People are quick to praise this s7 rep system but forget how simply they could have fixed things by adjusting a number to something higher than 1%. So instead of getting like a 2% figure or a 5% figure, or maybe 60-100 chips per MACO/OMEGA/HONOR MKXII piece because that would have been a pretty good guaranteed system, you know they coulda done THAT but noooo, we get a guaranteed system that costs a lot of dilithium and a nice new shiny rep system to complicate things rather than design some real end game content for the game for a change. Brilliant.

Don't be shocked if they come out with yet another all new system to convert old currencies in season 9 or 10.
  • Options
    thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    They need more ways to earn Omega Marks, currently. There is tons of ways to earn Romulan Marks on new Romulus, but there isn't an equal way to earn Omega Marks. If they could balance this between different reputation factions, then it'd be good, I just don't want to see one side lopsided so much, as it is right now.
  • Options
    ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    - Higher personal marginal cost relative to new STFers in set acquisition for veteran folks who are partway through a set. Even more for a costume since that will require an additional project after acquiring a set. (To be clear: No one loses anything. But odds are that someone who is 2/3rds of the way through Mk XII would fare better in costume acquisition if Cryptic delayed this patch a couple of months.)

Then in a couple of months someone else is two thirds of the way, and so on. They have to cut it off sometime.

At least with this system there is a light at the end of the tunnel for obtaining decent gear.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    They need more ways to earn Omega Marks, currently. There is tons of ways to earn Romulan Marks on new Romulus, but there isn't an equal way to earn Omega Marks. If they could balance this between different reputation factions, then it'd be good, I just don't want to see one side lopsided so much, as it is right now.

Outside of the STFs, you can earn Omega Marks on Defera and the Borg DSEs.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    ravin wrote: »
    Then in a couple of months someone else is two thirds of the way, and so on. They have to cut it off sometime.

At least with this system there is a light at the end of the tunnel for obtaining decent gear.

This is why I think they should have just awarded XP to people. Not FULL XP. But a head start.

This comes down to a vast philosophical difference I have with Cryptic.

I think they set out to make the best possible game for the largest number of players.

I think that's malarky from a business standpoint.

I think you should set out to create the greatest satisfaction in a broad spread of targeted groups of players, as resources permit. Disproportionate benefit across classifications of players in your target demo is suboptimal. Either a player is in one of your targeted demos or they aren't.

In my eyes, it's like Tim Hortons announcing that they're discontinuing decaff or Starbucks discontinuing soy or, in an extreme case, Pizza Hut switching to hamburgers. Because it benefits the most number of customers rather than best benefiting strategically targeted demographics.
  • Options
    duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This is why I think they should have just awarded XP to people. Not FULL XP. But a head start.

This comes down to a vast philosophical difference I have with Cryptic.

I think they set out to make the best possible game for the largest number of players.

I think that's malarky from a business standpoint.

I think you should set out to create the greatest satisfaction in a broad spread of targeted groups of players, as resources permit. Disproportionate benefit across classifications of players in your target demo is suboptimal. Either a player is in one of your targeted demos or they aren't.

In my eyes, it's like Tim Hortons announcing that they're discontinuing decaff or Starbucks discontinuing soy or, in an extreme case, Pizza Hut switching to hamburgers. Because it benefits the most number of customers rather than best benefiting strategically targeted demographics.

it is simple. if they have a counter on how many times a character has done an STF, the char should be awarded with the ammount of marks.. then he could do the whole "ladder" quickly and instead concentrate on grinding through the STF's with another char..
  • Options
    weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    romuzarii wrote: »
    They had a golden opportunity to do what you suggest in s7. They declined and overcomplicated everything when they coulda just made drop rates higher and threw us a few assignments to turn MKXI gear into MKXII. People are quick to praise this s7 rep system but forget how simply they could have fixed things by adjusting a number to something higher than 1%. So instead of getting like a 2% figure or a 5% figure, or maybe 60-100 chips per MACO/OMEGA/HONOR MKXII piece because that would have been a pretty good guaranteed system, you know they coulda done THAT but noooo, we get a guaranteed system that costs a lot of dilithium and a nice new shiny rep system to complicate things rather than design some real end game content for the game for a change. Brilliant.

Very much this.

If Cryptic genuinely wanted you to have a guaranteed way of obtaining the Mk XII sets they could have simply made them available for 60 or 80 EDCs per piece. The system's already in place to sell Mk X and XI for EDCs so this would have been a trivial change.

But they didn't - they put all that existing content that currently only costs you time (and rewards that time with Dilithium and loot) in a store - a store you have to pay to unlock.

And as regards the OP's comments, I have to say really? That's what you want? You want to spend a couple of months grinding marks and Dilithium and ECs and Doffs to unlock these stores only for Cryptic to add more of them so you can do it all again?
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • Options
    admiralandyadmiralandy Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    They do have a counter on STFS played do 25 infected for instance you get a medal accolade and title. So they do have the data on the players.

Awarding some marks for those who have accomplished such and such a number of STFs is a good idea as they have acknowledged some consideration for those who have played a number and got x amount of gear.

Last I knew they were wrapping your stuff in a storage box unlocked on the appropriate tier of research with a dilithium bonus.
  • Options
    flyingcatmanflyingcatman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I predict that we'll eventually see a Cardassian reputation system. That likely means we'll get the chance for Mk XII Jem Hadar space and ground sets. It also might mean a new pure Cardassian space set.This could also translate to Deferi reputation with Breen themed rewards. Then if Ferenginar is ever added to the map, we'd get Ferengi reputation with the Ferengi set rewards. The same could be done for the Tholians, the Terran Empire, the Undine, the Gorn, and so forth. I think we're seeing the tip of the iceberg with Season 7.

I don't want Terran Empire or Undine reputation, it just doesn't seem right.

Also, a great idea to expand crafting would to make a Crafting Association Reputation or something.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Philosophically, I feel a lot of Cryptic's approach is like outsourcing. It's optimization based rather than strategy based.

Say I own a T-shirt factory. I can make more T-shirts for less by offshoring to a developing country with no minimum wage. Instead of charging $15 for a T-shirt, I can sell for $3 and corner the market. From a market standpoint, it is optimization. I close my garment plant in Raleigh, North Carolina and shift operations to a facility in Uganda. Economic projections show that I have increased the sum social and production benefit even to people in North Carolina because they now have cheaper shirts.

But as the sum benefit for myself and society as a whole (T-shirt consumers) has increased, the marginal personal benefit for garment makers in Raleigh has diminished. And those garment makers' new benefit is NOT zero because now they can BUY cheaper T-shirts. They too benefit from my optimization.

But there are costs associated with this that a standard economic prediction doesn't account for. What happens to those garment makers in Raleigh? In theory, they "move on to a more productive use of their resources." Observation shows that they DON'T. And when they do, there are search costs and education costs. Conventional market economics are FLAWED and fail to account for externalities, lost sales, lost markets, lost people. Optimization is NOT the ideal scenario.

That's the basis of my disagreement. It's an analogy. No, the extremity of it is NOT the same. Nobody is probably going to lose their jobs or go hungry here. I don't think that. But I think I see the approach's philosophy and disagree with it. It's optimal rather than strategic.
  • Options
    duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    They do have a counter on STFS played do 25 infected for instance you get a medal accolade and title. So they do have the data on the players.

Awarding some marks for those who have accomplished such and such a number of STFs is a good idea as they have acknowledged some consideration for those who have played a number and got x amount of gear.

Last I knew they were wrapping your stuff in a storage box unlocked on the appropriate tier of research with a dilithium bonus.

the stuff only means the unused tokens, all weapons, tech stays..
    but it is a good thing they have been/will be thinking about this.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Funny...

First thing I thought of, was the EvE Online skill-tree.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Saying we are getting more reputation items is like saying it's going to rain.

Fleet projects were the test of what people are willing to do, now that book is closed the ball is rolling. So yes of course they are expanding on it, the reputation system itself is more of the same...

Albeit I hate all of it, it's a great system - for cryptic.
    You keep people grinding like in any mmo, but instead of you paying them, they are paying you... PLUS you get to tell them exactly how long they are going to have to do it and how many times. And to top it off it's getting PR'd out as them doing us a major favour because we so privileged.

It's brilliant in fact.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    vestereng wrote: »
    Saying we are getting more reputation items is like saying it's going to rain.

Fleet projects were the test of what people are willing to do, now that book is closed the ball is rolling. So yes of course they are expanding on it, the reputation system itself is more of the same...

Albeit I hate all of it, it's a great system - for cryptic.
    You keep people grinding like in any mmo, but instead of you paying them, they are paying you... PLUS you get to tell them exactly how long they are going to have to do it and how many times. And to top it off it's getting PR'd out as them doing us a major favour because we so privileged.

It's brilliant in fact.

Well, look. Games are the process of undergoing unnecessary obstacles for fun, according to a lot of contemporary theorists.

And what you just described as "brilliant" is what every other serious MMO developer has been doing since 2005, at least. Items have a high cost to obtain but that cost is spread across time, risk, effort, reputation, and retail. It's the central idea behind how you have a content rich MMO because you can't have an industry built by people who live in an area where $50k a year buys you ramen and one bedroom slum housing without paying for that and also slowing most people to the rate at which content can be developed.

The big shift we're seeing is Cryptic going from "casual" MMO to "regular" MMO. ("Hardcore" goes well beyond anything we've even seen hinted so far.) And I'm not sure "casual" makes business sense unless it's truly a garage MMO like Kingdom of Loathing or a promotional tool like Family Guy Online. (And those have their hardcore aspects.)

The standard for MMOs is that it costs time, currency paid in multiple forms, and cash to get everything. Here, the cash requirement is higher than a buffet sub game but is also entirely optional.
  • Options
    arcademasterarcademaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    romuzarii wrote: »
    Lol. I'm sure Cryptic is going to abandon their current content design model just to make us happy with freebie featured episodes.

Don't be shocked if they come out with yet another all new system to convert old currencies in season 9 or 10.

It IS exactly what they are doing. They already announced the next thing after S7 is a new FE series in february, and then S8 will be more story based content too. New reputation systems will be minor additions in season updates to give level capped players new gear to obtain - if they want.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    It IS exactly what they are doing. They already announced the next thing after S7 is a new FE series in february, and then S8 will be more story based content too. New reputation systems will be minor additions in season updates to give level capped players new gear to obtain - if they want.

I'm predicting S8 will be House of Martok rep and Fall of J'mpok Featured Episode. Maybe a Bat'leth tournament fleet holding.

Probably after that, Cardassian rep, a mining themed Adventure Zone, and Nor holdings that improve dilithium options.

I wouldn't be surprised if the big push of seasons going forward alternates between an Adventure Zone and a Featured Episode series. Places to go and things to do, put simply. FEs advance the game's plot in big ways and AZ's provide places to go (which also contain story missions, just more open ended).
  • Options
    xantrisxantris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

This seems to be the intended path with reputation. They really seem to love to recycle gear sets instead of putting the graphic and animations work I'm to make new ones, so I wouldn't be surprised.
  • Options
    khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    MkXII Jemhadar set will mean all attack bugs finally look the part instead of a MACO/KHG painted bug.

I approve of this change. Be nice if we get an eSTF that's all Boldy They Rode Space for the new Dominion rep if it does come. Nothing but unadulterated WAN TON SPAM.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • Options
    docroadie69docroadie69 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

oh joy..More grinding.. something I've wanted.. :rolleyes: