What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 7 Dev Blog #6

2»

Comments

• shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    trek21 wrote: »
    I for one though, welcome more content in this game, no matter the form (and yes that includes grind, as I don't hate or love it)

Yes, what he said! :)

I understand the Romulan players rage, I was supporting a full Rom. faction as well, but still I refrain myself from commenting on the Romulan issue untill I see how all of this turns out.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • kalavierkalavier Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I see a problem.

If, it is a mini faction with a group pro-KDF and a group pro-fed (alongside one staying neutral/romulan like)...

I'm sorry, since when does either group trust the Romulans? A romulan in the KDF would get nowhere in the ranks because Klingon leadership typically and utterly hates Romulans.

Federation I see it being possible, but slower then the other races of the Federation...
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    the gorn and nausicaans fell to the kdf and a year later not only do the kdf incorporate their ships into the kdf fleet, but we bring in anyone who wants a job to fly those ships.
    The klingons are an equal opportunity employer.
    Also, we make a Gorn an official Diplomate to the federation.

TAKE THAT FEDERATION!
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
    edited October 2012
    chalpen wrote: »
    the gorn and nausicaans fell to the kdf and a year later not only do the kdf incorporate their ships into the kdf fleet, but we bring in anyone who wants a job to fly those ships.
    The klingons are an equal opportunity employer.
    Also, we make a Gorn an official Diplomate to the federation.

TAKE THAT FEDERATION!

Yeah, but the Klingons don't utterly hate either race to the point of destroying entire houses merely for working with them.

They've been known to do that to houses that work with Romulans.
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hmmm I don't know.
    I think the kdf hate everyone.
    Anti social is a religion.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • digimatldigimatl Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Wuho is recognize Names from the Typhoon Pact Novels, furthermore the Resistance Movement, and the Vesta Class will be in it...does that mean Season 7 will introduce us to the same "Timeline" as the Novels do? That would be so nice :eek: yeah yeha i know there shouldn?t be borg in it, but lets take that aside :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    szim wrote: »
    Well this storyline makes one thing clear. Unless Sela returns with a huge Iconian fleet to reunite the Romulan Empire by force there will never be a playable Romulan faction!

And I think the real reason for it is money. If the Romulans were to be made a playable faction it would have to be free, with at least one free ship per rank. But if it's just gonna be an unlockable race for Feds and Klings you will have to pay for playing them. And you will probably have to open a lot of lockboxes to get their ships. Furthermore making the Romulans just a subfaction needs a lot less time and effort to implement.

I still hope for a full Romulan faction but I'm a lot more pessimistic now.

I am also pessimistic, but I don't think a new Romulan faction has to be free. They could do a paid expansion, or something.
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    digimatl wrote: »
    Wuho is recognize Names from the Typhoon Pact Novels, furthermore the Resistance Movement, and the Vesta Class will be in it...does that mean Season 7 will introduce us to the same "Timeline" as the Novels do? That would be so nice :eek: yeah yeha i know there shouldn?t be borg in it, but lets take that aside :D

Theres also the fact that the Federation is allies with the Cardassians, Klingons, and Ferangi and the fact that there were Some rather major changes that occurred in regards to the area around Bajor, that would have to be addressed if this was the case
  • walt04walt04 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    jam062307 wrote: »
    Not going to lie...this blog post upsets me. More and more its looking like romulans are going to be a playable race in both of the current factions and not their own. Its very sad that Cryptic is going this route.
    Im just wondering if the report came from Fox news or CNN. and can we trust the report from eather one of them.....just asking
  • walt04walt04 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    jam062307 wrote: »
    Not going to lie...this blog post upsets me. More and more its looking like romulans are going to be a playable race in both of the current factions and not their own. Its very sad that Cryptic is going this route.

Wondering if the report came from Fox news or CNN. and if we can trust eather one of them....just asking...;);)
  • digimatldigimatl Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    hartzilla wrote: »
    Theres also the fact that the Federation is allies with the Cardassians, Klingons, and Ferangi and the fact that there were Some rather major changes that occurred in regards to the area around Bajor, that would have to be addressed if this was the case

yeah you?re right...nevertheless its seems to follow the events taken on by the novels. hm, i wonder what mumbo-jumbo that will get us ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'm wondering if it does become a playable race if there will be a way for us to turn out fake romulan aliens into this playable race because a lot of us who love romulans have already done that and would feel like a wasted toon slot to have a fake one and then one that is actually romulan...

Thats the ball buster right there because if they were going to go that route they should have done it a long time ago and now its just going to complicate how a lot of long time players have built characters up.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    kalavier wrote: »
    I see a problem.

If, it is a mini faction with a group pro-KDF and a group pro-fed (alongside one staying neutral/romulan like)...

I'm sorry, since when does either group trust the Romulans? A romulan in the KDF would get nowhere in the ranks because Klingon leadership typically and utterly hates Romulans.

Federation I see it being possible, but slower then the other races of the Federation...

A - Since when do Romulans trust either group? :))
    B - You got it about right for the Klingons
    C - You underestimate the Federation
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • laportejlaportej Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I guess I don't follow the theory that the new blog spells out that the Romulans will not be a new faction, but a mini-faction. I suppose the possibility exists, but there's also the possibility that this is just new content with a new story arc. That has been the main complaint that the playerbase has had for well over a year. It makes sense that the next story arc would show the fallout from Sela being taken away by the mysterious alien ship. I understand there's new zones and missions, which makes sense from a content standpoint as well.

Something to keep in mind about the idea of a stand-alone faction versus a mini-faction...The Fed sides does have the ability to have a playable Klingon and the Klingons are their own faction. Cryptic has always said they wouldn't make a Romulan faction until they'd finished out the Klingons. Whether they consider the Klingon's "finished" at this point is only known to Cryptic, but if/when they do make a Romulan faction, you can bet that they will have playable Romulans for the Fed and Klingons as well.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks that bigger and better things could be made with the time and effort it would take for a Romulan Faction in any form or fashion? :(
  • nyx219nyx219 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    To be frank, any new storyline in the game is a good storyline at this point. It's been a little stagnant to me. I'm speaking from a "Nothing's changed since TNG" perspective, too. I kinda like my Star Trek universe frozen in a particular point in time, it's familiar there. Heck, I finally warmed up to JJ Abrams' Star Trek THIS YEAR and watched it for the first time. Yeah, I'm that stubborn. Which brings me to why in the world would I be up for a fractured & crumbling RSE. It's not a static universe. Things progress. Species progress, new ones are met--I was pretty taken aback & disgusted at the kitty cat species additions (Caitians and Ferasans) in the ST 'verse, but I grew up & got over it. I think the degradation of the RSE is inevitable. Like a house of cards with one card too many removed, it's going to go bust into a smoking, writhing pile in it's death throes at some point. Nothing is static, nothing is forever. You can only slap duct tape on a broken culture for so long before it doesn't help anymore in reality, the same applies to the Romulans' progression over time as well.
    Now, hopefully, the content is an accurate reflection of the Romulan backstabbery & deviousness we all know & love. You can tweak the political structure all you want, but you can't really take away the essence of Romulans. That behavior is all their own. I liken this storyline change as being the same game, but a different level (or, same book, different chapter, et al)

I'm also hoping there's at least a little story room for the Remans in S7. I've acquired a bit of a soft spot for them, and am curious to see/know what's potentially being developed, even if as a sub-plot.
  • emoejoeemoejoe Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks that bigger and better things could be made with the time and effort it would take for a Romulan Faction in any form or fashion? :(

remind yme to vape you anytime i see you in game in the honor of stardagger our beloved (and long lost?) romulan championer. hear hear, you stink and smell bad, nothing done in this game since release is better than if they had had a romulan faction to start. NOTHING

this game was promised a roumlan faciton and it better get it. i demand reman warbird with 8 fore heavy plasma torpedoes!
    edited October 2012

You aren't. Whatever happened to the whole "We will complete the KDF before even starting a romulan faction"?

Like my bro has said, with cryptic it's now a "We'll believe it when we see it."

Now, looking at my previous post. If it's like a "Romulan playable for federation, reman playable for KDF" that could work. KDF at least respects the Remans enough that a ranking one isn't a universe-breaking plot hole. :P.
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Interesting read. One one hand, I'm excited to see how this plays out. One the other, I'm somewhat upset (by which I mean very upset) because it looks like we won't get a proper Romulan faction after all.

Or this could be the start of a revolution in Romulan Space, similar to the disintegration of the USSR.

In other words, Romulus may just be going through a change in Government.

Come on, we all knew once Sela was gone that Romulus would fall apart.

On the other hand, Cryptic could use this in a very unique way.

Divide the Romulan Faction into 3 sub-factions. The player chooses which politician to back in the journey to the proverbial throne. If done properly, it could work very, VERY well.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Or this could be the start of a revolution in Romulan Space, similar to the disintegration of the USSR.

In other words, Romulus may just be going through a change in Government.

Come on, we all knew once Sela was gone that Romulus would fall apart.

On the other hand, Cryptic could use this in a very unique way.

Divide the Romulan Faction into 3 sub-factions. The player chooses which politician to back in the journey to the proverbial throne. If done properly, it could work very, VERY well.

I sincerely hope you're right.

Three sub-factions...one has a colony on New Romulus; perhaps one of the other two could become a playable faction unlocked after completing "Cutting the Cord"? That could work...
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If i read this blog correctly, this is a disaster for romulan fans.

They got it all wrong. Romulans, after their homeworld is destroyed, would not be fighting for power, but would do JUST THE OPPOSITE - rebuild somewhere else! As any conscious intelligent race would do!

It is just one planet afterall that blowed up, and the Romulan empire is HUGE - way bigger than klingon grounds! (wikipedia)

They would NEVER join FED or KDF! Perhaps here and there there would be a guy or 2, but never as a whole.

I would have nothing against the Romulans as a mini faction 45 -50 and up, but to play some 3 lvls and then joining one of the existing factions just does not make sense to me.
    Why would i want to replay the whole thing once more, if i already have maxed chars on both sides?

And what about the technology and ships? The Rommies have given KDF their cloaking tech, i can immagine they have tech which FEDs are not daring to dream about..

Don't tell me there will be romulan ships with cloaking technology which is more advanced as the KDF one FOR BOTH FACTIONS????
    As FEDs can't use this tech..???
    Where will you put them ships - into the Zen Store or into lockboxes???

PLEASE, for the sake of god which needs a spaceship - don't destroy this faction!
    Is it such a big problem to
    - color the UI green
    - recreate icons for DOFFS
    - make one building where the new Romulan HQ will be and put there some NPC's?

you have to make costumes and ships anyway, it can all be paid - we will buy this stuff anyway!! just give us ONE small starter BOP on lvl 45
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    kalavier wrote: »
    You aren't. Whatever happened to the whole "We will complete the KDF before even starting a romulan faction"?

Like my bro has said, with cryptic it's now a "We'll believe it when we see it."

Now, looking at my previous post. If it's like a "Romulan playable for federation, reman playable for KDF" that could work. KDF at least respects the Remans enough that a ranking one isn't a universe-breaking plot hole. :P.

Surgery! Infiltration! Think like a Romulan man!!! :D:P
    duaths1 wrote: »
    If i read this blog correctly, this is a disaster for romulan fans.

All you have done, my good sir, is make mine eyes bleed..... =_=
  • synthscanner#2101 synthscanner Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The good doctor once said, "Beware Romulans Bearing Gifts." and he meant it.

I would hope that everything we're hearing about the Romulans is nothing more than a well planned strategic ruse.