test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 7 Dev Blog #6

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited October 2012 in Galactic News Network [PC]
The Federation News Service report contained in this entry of the Season 7 News Dev Blog series reveals information about the tensions that are mounting in Romulan space.

Link to the blog.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• jam062307jam062307 Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Not going to lie...this blog post upsets me. More and more its looking like romulans are going to be a playable race in both of the current factions and not their own. Its very sad that Cryptic is going this route.
    STOP THE
    tacofangs wrote: »
    We planned on doing it next weekend, but then we saw your post and were like, "Dude, we should totally move that up a week! Tee Hee!"
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    jam062307 wrote: »
    Not going to lie...this blog post upsets me. More and more its looking like romulans are going to be a playable race in both of the current factions and not their own. Its very sad that Cryptic is going this route.

what did you expect tbh as they still have yet to finish the KDF
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • cptskeeterukcptskeeteruk Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yeah dan stahl has lost the plot. Its more grind and just nothing what anyone is wanting from a sto rpg multiplayer game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    "There are too few Romulans left for us to fight one another,? said D'Tan, a leader of the Reunification movement that has been working for decades to reunite the Romulan and Vulcan species. ?What we need to do is reject the culture of secrecy and deception that has defined us for far too long. We need to reach out to our enemies and call them friends. Most importantly, we need to find a new world. Our homeworld is gone. We cannot cling to the memories any longer. We need to find a planet where we can live in peace.?

Would you like to know more about D'Tan. He was just a boy in Unification Part 2. My how he grew up.

Maybe someone who does some editing for Memory-Alpha could include this little news into his page.
    Yeah dan stahl has lost the plot. Its more grind and just nothing what I am wanting from a sto rpg multiplayer game.

Fixed that for ya.
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • thomas12255thomas12255 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If Romulans do get added as a mini-faction then blame the majority of the STO playerbase for spamming Cryptic about it for 2 years without thinking it would be a terrible idea and a waste of time.

I would have preferred STO to just be Federation play as it is clear that is the only faction that gets real content and the game would overall be stronger.
    [SIGPIC]http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Thomas45-STO.png[/SIGPIC]

{UFP}Thomas45 - Thomas Nixon U.S.S. Majesty Unbound
  • kandorouskandorous Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Sweet, looking forward to more.
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    jam062307 wrote: »

I agree. If there are no plans to make Romulans a full faction or half-faction in their own right (like the Klingons, starting at a certain level for less unique content and more generic all-faction content) then we need to know.
  • l3dz3p85l3dz3p85 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If Romulans do get added as a mini-faction then blame the majority of the STO playerbase for spamming Cryptic about it for 2 years without thinking it would be a terrible idea and a waste of time.

The people on the forums make up a very small minority of the playerbase.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Interesting read. One one hand, I'm excited to see how this plays out. One the other, I'm somewhat upset (by which I mean very upset) because it looks like we won't get a proper Romulan faction after all.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Love the throw back to the TNG, hope we get to see D'Tan in the game teaching the Vulcan language to young Romulans.;)
    GwaoHAD.png
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I see another cool story line on what happened to them.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This has been the News at Ten... Thank You and Goodnight! :D
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    fall of their government by nero, explosion of romulus, 50 years of civil strife.
    I am suprised it didn't fall faster.

The romulan faction will make nice pets for the klingons.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This has been the News at Ten... Thank You and Goodnight! :D

Aw, I missed the Channel 47 News?!? :eek:
    :D
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Shame there won't be an update to the D'deridex-class Romulan Warbird model with this.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • o4q123o4q123 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I for one, welcome the death of the Romulan Star Empire, and can only hope the ridge heads aren't far behind.
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited October 2012

that could be, but they could also be setting up to do both. if you didn't notice, it said they were splitting off into three groups. presumably that implies a pro-KDF, pro-fed and pro-independent romulan faction (at some point)

exactly. we will see just how serious they were when they said they didn't care if there was a handful of missions, as long as they got to play them

no they don't. thats an offensive statement thats been repeatedly used to belittle people and make excuses
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If the Romulans are added as playable, you guys should be lucky you're getting to play them at all :)

Sure it'd be nice to have a proper faction, but we all know they don't have the time or resources to make it happen; they have their hands full already

I for one though, welcome more content in this game, no matter the form (and yes that includes grind, as I don't hate or love it)
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    l3dz3p85 wrote: »

Funny how you'd claim the forum minority is an innaccurate metric for measuring playerbase wishes when Cryptic never bothers to even poll online players. What are you comparing that metric to? I'm just curious.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    trek21 wrote: »
    If the Romulans are added as playable, you guys should be lucky you're getting to play them at all :)

Sure it'd be nice to have a proper faction, but we all know they don't have the time or resources to make it happen; they have their hands full already

I for one though, welcome more content in this game, no matter the form (and yes that includes grind, as I don't hate or love it)

Yes, and no matter how large their team is, "they don't have the time or resources to make it happen." Where have I heard this before?
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Aw come on. Now that we've parted the Mists of Romulus we can finally get at these space elves. Better yet they are OPEN TO BOTH FACTIONS.

Balance is coming. We should welcome it.

Lovely fluff piece for a blog post. Now if only it as an epic CGI video with voiceover.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • picardcrusherpicardcrusher Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This may be the disappointment that finally drives me from the game. They floated this stupid idea about splitting up the Romulan empire and most people hated it. Now we have a dev blog saying it's the end of their political system. Their political system was what made them interesting.

Furthermore this is entirely out of character for Romulan norms. The Romulans believe that the strong should rule the weak. They challenge the federation because they appear weak (from the outside), then go away for a while when they are proven wrong by someone in a ship named Enterprise. They are too mindful of their own strength to ever allow anarchy.

This new plot line is the worst hack writing the trek universe has ever seen. If they go through with it I'll finally suspend all future purchases, even if that costs me my playable romulan. I've been buying ships and the like on the assumption that cryptic would finally come through on content. This will probably be the final wound to kill that idea.

Nerfing is Fraud...
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This may be the disappointment that finally drives me from the game. They floated this stupid idea about splitting up the Romulan empire and most people hated it. Now we have a dev blog saying it's the end of their political system. Their political system was what made them interesting.

Furthermore this is entirely out of character for Romulan norms. The Romulans believe that the strong should rule the weak. They challenge the federation because they appear weak (from the outside), then go away for a while when they are proven wrong by someone in a ship named Enterprise. They are too mindful of their own strength to ever allow anarchy.

This new plot line is the worst hack writing the trek universe has ever seen. If they go through with it I'll finally suspend all future purchases, even if that costs me my playable romulan. I've been buying ships and the like on the assumption that cryptic would finally come through on content. This will probably be the final wound to kill that idea.
    You'd be surprised how sufficent hardship can change people's views/customs/etc... and let's not forget they didn't just change overnight, they've been dealing with this whole situation for quite awhile.

They may not like it (hell, they probably don't), but when you have no other choice, why let your old customs get you killed if the other choice means you can live?

Plus, you can't really call it a hack just because you don't like it. This is just the tip of the iceberg in what the Season 7 storyline will give us... there's plenty more that will explain things
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited October 2012

This new plot line is the worst hack writing the trek universe has ever seen. If they go through with it I'll finally suspend all future purchases, even if that costs me my playable romulan.
    Yes, this is disappointing, but remember that it wasn't Cryptic's decision to destroy Romulus, an event without which their political system would be as strong as ever, and none of the post-2387 Romulan backstory would have even been necessary to begin with. If you really need to pin blame on someone for this, blame J.J. Abrams first.
  • caemgencaemgen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yes, this is disappointing, but remember that it wasn't Cryptic's decision to destroy Romulus, an event without which their political system would be as strong as ever, and none of the post-2387 Romulan backstory would have even been necessary to begin with. If you really need to pin blame on someone for this, blame J.J. Abrams first.

As much as I hate to posit a position, the idea of the Romulan Star Empire splitting, contrary to my personal wishes, actually makes a great deal of sense. When struck with force sufficient to render shockwaves, the *Roman* empire easily fell into Civil War and factioning. The idea that the Romulans would do similarly isn't difficult to believe, just unfortunate.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This new plot line is the worst hack writing the trek universe has ever seen.

Not sure if it's the worst , I dropped buying ST books because of the amateurish writing/editing (mostly editing as an editor can demand more from a writer) .

But yeah , in STO they have managed to turn the RSE into Deferi .
    Romulans = DEFERI .

Try to swallow that one .
    Now try again . I know it's hard .
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    caemgen wrote: »
    As much as I hate to posit a position, the idea of the Romulan Star Empire splitting, contrary to my personal wishes, actually makes a great deal of sense. When struck with force sufficient to render shockwaves, the *Roman* empire easily fell into Civil War and factioning. The idea that the Romulans would do similarly isn't difficult to believe, just unfortunate.

They have always been split. Its just that the backstory on this is that they are in desperate times just as the KDF was with the explosion of praxis. Its just a Romulan turning point in their affairs in the quadrant to begin story on that.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Well this storyline makes one thing clear. Unless Sela returns with a huge Iconian fleet to reunite the Romulan Empire by force there will never be a playable Romulan faction!

And I think the real reason for it is money. If the Romulans were to be made a playable faction it would have to be free, with at least one free ship per rank. But if it's just gonna be an unlockable race for Feds and Klings you will have to pay for playing them. And you will probably have to open a lot of lockboxes to get their ships. Furthermore making the Romulans just a subfaction needs a lot less time and effort to implement.

I still hope for a full Romulan faction but I'm a lot more pessimistic now.
  • admiralthorr360admiralthorr360 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    When will cryptic/pwe fix their server issues before releasing new content/seasons? Will Season 7 have as many bugs as season 6? What will be done about the bugs? Slowly fixed at snail pace or will PWe/Cryptic manage to hire enough people to keep up with the bugs?

Will any of the hard questions ever be answered?

PS: I love STO and that's why I ask these questions. Thats why everyone who rages wants to know if their game will stop being a car that breaks down every week into a car that runs and purrs like a kitten.
  • kwiat007kwiat007 Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    7 is supported to be a lucky number, well not for fans of R.S.E. I cannot express how disappointed, sad, angry and surprised I am.

Cryptic why do you even bother to try to add romulan (mini)faction to the game? By the time you finish your work on R.S.E. it will be romulan only in name, it will have nothing to do with the proud Romulan race we have seen on TV. Do you really believe that people wanted to play as Romulans only for the v-shaped forehead ridges and to fly D'deridex?

I have been begging for romulan faction, or even mini-faction, since beta, how could I knew I will get the opposite? The death of R.S.E. Please cryptic, do not add playable Romulans to the game in this way. Even better don't touch the romulan storyline ever again, cause with every update you only make it worse.

This is the first time I felt regret that cryptic acquired Star Trek license.
    [SIGPIC]Join Date: August 2009[/SIGPIC]
    I live in an alternate universe, where j.j. abrams and cryptic never existed,
    where R.S.E. is what it always should be.