test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So it has come down to this... (call for sanity)

Comments

• Options
    thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    kandorous wrote: »
    Comparing real life military service to a video game.

Oh my.

It's an analogy, to drive home the point.
  • Options
    kandorouskandorous Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It's an analogy, to drive home the point.

I got the point before this analogy. I just find it...

Yeah.
  • Options
    khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    No. you did not put your LIFE on the line for 1000 days. So do NOT compare this to serving a military term.

Its an insult to those of us who have, and an even greater insult to those who didn't make it.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    themarie wrote: »
    Got my new Chimera-class ship this morning... wonderful ship if a bit impractical. Too many moving parts. :D Anyway, flew Azura for a calibration run... then ran a couple of STFs.

Did fantastic on Cure, did pretty good on KA, but then on Infected I was teamed with three other Chimera and a Galaxy-X.

The player running the Galaxy-X went on a tirade about how DARE we claim what we are not entitled to, and the LOYAL 1,000 Day Member ONLY should be able to claim the new ship and HE IS NOT GOING TO PLAY with a bunch of *swear word* that cheapen the reward that rightfully belongs to the 1,000 Day Members.

Then he rage-quit.

Jokes on him, we cleared Infected with 8 min to spare. ;)

Anyway... I've heard of two other "freak outs" from my friends on the various channels.

Has it really come to this? Are we going to have to endure people flipping out over a reward? I mean really... at the end of the day it only exists in the Neighborhood Of Makebelive hosted on the Cryptic servers.

This is a call for sanity, folks. It's just a game. I don't like logging into an STF and being cussed out because I claimed a reward that was due to me. I don't like being cussed out in STFs PERIOD -- but to be chewed out over something I was entitled to?

Some of us need to step back, way back... take a deep breath and calm the heck down.

It is ONLY A GAME.

I'm already sane...

It's the rest of the world that's crazy. ;)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It's like this, for an analogy:

You spend 1000 days in the military, and earn your stripes for time spent in the military.

Some guy comes along, and pays $300, they hand him his stripes for money, but he didn't really spend the 1000 days in the military earning them.

You bet that'd make the other person angry.

To this I say that it does happen. If you enlist in the proper career field with certain kinds of education you can be given a rank/grade. Remember rank is a promotion that you get automaticaly only up to a certain point then you need to go through schooling and tests for the next few then there has to be an open slot for someone of that rank/grade.

Am I mad that you could come in as a SRA where as I had to wait for it? No, because you spent that time somewhere else earning that privelage.

Am I mad that you can buy a LTS today and get the same rewards? No, because you will spend the same money I did that you earned through similar means.

Time has no meaning for an LTS. once paid you aren't required to pay anything else ever again. so why does it matter when you did it?

And as far as time in game, why does it matter? The only thing being here from the start gets you is memories of how it used to be, and if your an elitiest, bragging rights to try and use to win arguments.

Frankly Sales help the game, more money means more staff and more stuff for everybody. This means that everyone who is angry about this current promotion will still see the benifit of all these people dropping that kind of money on the game. YOu will still get to play, new content developed using that money will be just as available to you as everyone else. When a new ship is made and added to the store you will be able to buy it for the same price as me at the same time.

And honestly that ship is probably the second most useful reward from the veteran system, The 600 day VA ship token is more interesting. Add to that, if you were only interested in the reward from the first day you started playing its significantly cheeper to just buy an LTS rather than pay monthly for 1000 days, especialy since F2P.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    khayuung wrote: »
    No. you did not put your LIFE on the line for 1000 days. So do NOT compare this to serving a military term.

Its an insult to those of us who have, and an even greater insult to those who didn't make it.

To those that didn't make it. *raises glass*

• Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    You paid cash for a ship to feel special

Then you realize others are buying it too so you no longer anything but a guy buying a ship

How seriously pityful, you got nothing better to do than whine over the attention others are getting, less crying and more flying, be happy with what you got and don't be so busy with other people.

Either you like the ship or you don't, it's over the top infantile to base your joy on others getting less than you, grow up
  • Options
    lotusteadragonlotusteadragon Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Got my new Chimera-class ship this morning... wonderful ship if a bit impractical. Too many moving parts. :D Anyway, flew Azura for a calibration run... then ran a couple of STFs.

Did fantastic on Cure, did pretty good on KA, but then on Infected I was teamed with three other Chimera and a Galaxy-X.

The player running the Galaxy-X went on a tirade about how DARE we claim what we are not entitled to, and the LOYAL 1,000 Day Member ONLY should be able to claim the new ship and HE IS NOT GOING TO PLAY with a bunch of *swear word* that cheapen the reward that rightfully belongs to the 1,000 Day Members.

Then he rage-quit.

Anyway... I've heard of two other "freak outs" from my friends on the various channels.

Has it really come to this? Are we going to have to endure people flipping out over a reward? I mean really... at the end of the day it only exists in the Neighborhood Of Makebelive hosted on the Cryptic servers.

This is a call for sanity, folks. It's just a game. I don't like logging into an STF and being cussed out because I claimed a reward that was due to me. I don't like being cussed out in STFs PERIOD -- but to be chewed out over something I was entitled to?

Some of us need to step back, way back... take a deep breath and calm the heck down.

It is ONLY A GAME.

Not to derail your thread (I swear), but I'm wondering if I saw you in an STF yesterday. It was Cure Space (normal). I had just appeared, and I saw the Chimera and all I could think of was "ooh, pretty!". :D

I was in a Galaxy class retrofit, though you probably wouldn't remember even if that was you, since you probably played a number of STFs that day. Anyway, whether it was you or not, all I can say is that's one sweet ship, so congratulations on that!

I also agree with your call to sanity. It is only a game, and for someone to insult another based on a ship or sub they purchased is just absurd. I'm not an LTS, though I've considered it over the past two years, and if I could afford it, you bet your sweet warp core I'd be on top of that in a heartbeat, so don't let them get you down. Like one of the posters mentioned before, the same thing went on with the Galaxy X. I bought mine, because I got 3 people to join, but couldn't convince anyone else, so I said "heck with it" and purchased it from the C-Store. Nice little ship, but I prefer the Galaxy class retrofit by a country mile.

Anyway, that's all I really wanted to say. Maybe one of these days I can get a LTS, or maybe, just maybe, they'll offer it in the C-Store some day. By then I'm hoping they'll have an Ambassador class, but THAT is definitely for another thread. LOL
    Lotus_Tea_Dragon_STOBanner_Sig150x500.jpg
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited October 2012

You spend 1000 days in the military, and earn your stripes for time spent in the military.

Some guy comes along, and pays $300, they hand him his stripes for money, but he didn't really spend the 1000 days in the military earning them.

Epic facepalm; Seriously your comment disgust me. Its a F'n GAME, A GAME -

Am I mad that you can buy a LTS today and get the same rewards? No, because you will spend the same money I did that you earned through similar means.

Time has no meaning for an LTS. once paid you aren't required to pay anything else ever again. so why does it matter when you did it?

And as far as time in game, why does it matter? The only thing being here from the start gets you is memories of how it used to be, and if your an elitiest, bragging rights to try and use to win arguments.

Bless your soul disposeableh3r0 well played, well played.

All things aside: What I'm about to say will probably TRIBBLE the hell out of everyone on these forums, but the truth is Star Trek & Star Wars fans are the worst kind of fans that ever existed. The few that are true blue and good fans are overshadowed by the majority of whiners and the discontent.

Lifers finally get something worth having, then we began to whine because new lifers get what we old Lifers already HAD and enjoyed. For once I applaud Cryptic for doing a smart business move, and you all know I am very critical of Cryptic.

Just remember this - In the END its just a game

and for those of you who question my lifer status, here's a HINT:

A) I am NOT a NEW Lifer
    B) I own 2 LIFER accounts, 2
    C) I was at (852/900) 2nd account & (957/1000) on my main account

So I'm NOT new and I give a rat TRIBBLE about someone buying a $300 dollar LIFER account like I did and get immediate access to what I have - does nothing for me, but makes the game more enjoyable.

Keep in mind that not everyone can afford a LIFER account so you still maintain your UNIQUENESS, if thats what you all care about.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    proves only something i was aware for a long time...too many self centered and mentaly unstable persons playing this game.
    Was probably one of those guys that complain on a weekly bases how underpowered all galaxy class ships are but keep using one anyway.
    My ignore list in this game is longer than the ignore lists of the dozen of MMOs i played in the years combined.

i had a funny little "adventure" with the captain of the new ship. The patch was only hours old...and the guy already had multiple yellow and red injuries on his "brand new" ship when he joined cure elite. Made me giggle, and i left a comment:"Nice how you treat your brand new ship, Starfleet command should rethink their definition of most experianced captain!" I meant it as a joke, he ignored me anyway...i think.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    synthscanner#2101 synthscanner Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Then he rage-quit.

It is ONLY A GAME.

Right click on the players name@handle and choose the option to ignore that player, problem solved.

Have fun playing STO! :)
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    stark2k wrote: »
    Bless your soul disposeableh3r0 well played, well played.

Thank you, I try.

• Options
    commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Then he rage-quit.

It is ONLY A GAME.

Selfishness and entitlement.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    [Editing this before the mods do. It may not be, but there is the potential.]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    dracos84 wrote: »
    No, Im talking about the people who never had a membership and then bought one and was handed everything, thats what im talking about.

Lifetimers are paid through from now to the end of the game. Their time is set. They are not going anywhere. I fail to see how it's so wrong to be given something that.. you know.. you paid for.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    xenor002 wrote: »
    Well in all hoensty....having 1000 days meaning nothing out of no where with this ship being painting onto the message doesn't help.

You paid for 1,000 days. You got what you paid for. I paid for infinite days. I got what I paid for. In fact, so far, I have gotten the same exact thing that you have, while paying for more than you have (specific to these vet rewards).

I understand that your passions are inflamed, but there are better things to be angry about than someone receiving precisely what they paid for. Your sig says that you "earned" your 1,000 days and did not pay for them. This is sophistry, as you would definitely not have 1,000 days if you did not pay for them with money that you earned. I would also, most certainly, not have had 1,000 days paid for had I not spent money that I earned.

I win.
  • Options
    lotusteadragonlotusteadragon Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, I'm not seeing the issue either. Someone paying $300 to get some rewards and LTS has no effect on me whatsoever. I've spent two years building up my characters, and just having fun with the game. Complaining because someone can afford an LTS and get the stuff I worked to get means nothing. All I have to do is pay the same and I can have it as well. I'm F2P now, but was a subscriber for quite a while, so I've invested money into something that many can now get for free. Does that make me bitter? Nope. Now EVERYONE gets to play, and that makes the experience richer.
    Lotus_Tea_Dragon_STOBanner_Sig150x500.jpg
  • Options
    travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Bah. Chimaeras, Regents, Odysseys. . .they all look like exploding ships to me in my Hegh'ta :)
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I have been on the edge all day about quitting this game, I know it's not the communities fault, it's Cryptic's once again, for making horrible decisions.

The next time you go to the Market, I will demand that the cashier not let you walk out with the milk that you buy. After all, if I actually milk cows, I should be quite insulted that you are receiving what you paid for, but haven't earned. Never mind that you earned the money and are using it as a representation of value of goods and services that you trade for the milk and the labor that went into retrieving, pasteurizing, and packaging and shipping it. It would be unconscionable that I let you walk out of there without earning it like I earned mine, I would definitely complain to the manager.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    starkaos wrote: »
    The rage is completely understandable. It is like finally earning a lockbox ship and the day after you obtain it, it is available for free.

Except it's not free. It costs a lot of money. Money that has, in theory, been worked for. It would be more akin to the lockbox ship being released on the C-Store for the hundreds of dollars that it is actually, on average, worth. They have spent roughly the same money as you, perhaps more, and their experience was not as rich. It seems to me that perhaps they should be the ones who envy you and your journey.
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Straw man. An extraordinarily flimsy one.

You neglect to mention that this other "military man" also paid to be there (as opposed to having been paid to be there) and through doing so, paid for each and every one of his stripes. It took longer for you, but it took you both the same amount of effort: swiping a credit card with money that you earned and were willing to part with for what you were receiving. There was never a "stripes exclusivity clause" unless you made it up in your own head.

The first man spent longer doing it, but gained more experience and had a richer adventure in buying his stripes than the second man. The second man should be envious of the first, because he had a richer experience and remembers seeing and doing things that the second man will never have a chance to do. The first man should mentor the second, and tell him the "old war stories". The first man being angry at the second for not earning his stripes is absurd, considering neither of them did anything different to earn them, they paid for them. And that's all they did.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Straw man. An extraordinarily flimsy one.

You neglect to mention that this other "military man" also paid to be there (as opposed to having been paid to be there) and through doing so, paid for each and every one of his stripes. It took longer for you, but it took you both the same amount of effort: swiping a credit card with money that you earned and were willing to part with for what you were receiving. There was never a "stripes exclusivity clause" unless you made it up in your own head.

The first man spent longer doing it, but gained more experience and had a richer adventure in buying his stripes than the second man. The second man should be envious of the first, because he had a richer experience and remembers seeing and doing things that the second man will never have a chance to do. The first man should mentor the second, and tell him the "old war stories". The first man being angry at the second for not earning his stripes is absurd, considering neither of them did anything different to earn them, they paid for them. And that's all they did.

Actualy I believe in his argument he was saying the first had only paid time while the second had paid money. Either way it was poorly thought out and constructed. And in bad taste.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    To this I say that it does happen. If you enlist in the proper career field with certain kinds of education you can be given a rank/grade. Remember rank is a promotion that you get automaticaly only up to a certain point then you need to go through schooling and tests for the next few then there has to be an open slot for someone of that rank/grade.

Am I mad that you could come in as a SRA where as I had to wait for it? No, because you spent that time somewhere else earning that privelage.

Frankly Sales help the game, more money means more staff and more stuff for everybody. This means that everyone who is angry about this current promotion will still see the benifit of all these people dropping that kind of money on the game. YOu will still get to play, new content developed using that money will be just as available to you as everyone else. When a new ship is made and added to the store you will be able to buy it for the same price as me at the same time.

And honestly that ship is probably the second most useful reward from the veteran system, The 600 day VA ship token is more interesting. Add to that, if you were only interested in the reward from the first day you started playing its significantly cheeper to just buy an LTS rather than pay monthly for 1000 days, especialy since F2P.

Logical and well-articulated post sir. I mean, how dare you understand economics.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Actualy I believe in his argument he was saying the first had only paid time while the second had paid money. Either way it was poorly thought out and constructed. And in bad taste.

Indeed, but it is an extremely poor analogy (and in extremely poor taste). Time is irrelevant. They both paid the same in the end, and in the context of the analogy, exerted the same effort.

It is a lot more complex than that, but the argument itself is too flawed to prop up (and frankly too offensive).
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    [Editing this before the mods do. It may not be, but there is the potential.]
  • Options
    shakesfistatskyshakesfistatsky Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I've been a lifer since beta and when I took out my Chimera last night for the first time in ESD I was subjected to a tirade of insults and profanity as I was trying out the Tactical Mode for the first time. The change was cool so I did a few times just to see all the parts moving and then, without warning, in came the insults.

"Yes, we're all very happy you were dumb enough to pay for a ship now go use it for something useful..."

"Tactical Mode does nothing in ESD idiot..."

This kind of stupidity is just sad.
    I survived the 2012 Forum Merge - Join Date 11/2008
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I've been a lifer since beta and when I took out my Chimera last night for the first time in ESD I was subjected to a tirade of insults and profanity as I was trying out the Tactical Mode for the first time. The change was cool so I did a few times just to see all the parts moving and then, without warning, in came the insults.

"Yes, we're all very happy you were dumb enough to pay for a ship now go use it for something useful..."

"Tactical Mode does nothing in ESD idiot..."

This kind of stupidity is just sad.

Shakes fist at jerks?

• Options
    ericsonxxericsonxx Member Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    vestereng wrote: »
    You came on the forum to get complimented for your new ship.

Sorry to rain on your parade but I don't even know the ship or seen a screenshot, so much for feeling cool and awesome

I know people who f2p grinded their way to a 5000 points ody pack, want respect try there

I grinded to a Atrox and a Armitage back to back, so, I guess I get the R-E-S-P-E-C-T? :)
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'd be more interested to find out how many people are complaining about the lifers getting the instant rewards are actually "Lifers'. There's probably a 99.99999999999% chance the majority of them are not, and just complaining for the sake of complaining.

TBH I personally don't really care about the free ship and goodies being given out instantly, while I can see how lifers that have been so for a while can be offended.. there's no excuse for random trolling/griefing in-game over a ship thats probably getting a fleet/c-store variant as it was outclassed at launch with just a gimick console feature like most others and 9 con slots.
This discussion has been closed.