Install Arc
Options

Real Excalibur

2»

Comments

• Options
    zabonamzabonam Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I used to love that ship. I had it downloaded in Starfleet Acadmey 3 and Bridge Commander. I am not sure if there was a version on ST Legacy.

Anyway, was very cool. Shame that it won't ever appear in the game.
  • Options
    age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Most ships in canon Star Trek are kitbashes.

They are not that are actual models the ones we use in game are kitbashes.

sorry for dble post.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    jexsamx wrote: »
    You're all wrong.

This is what an Excalibur looks like.

That other thing is a horrible mistake made by some overeager fanboy.
    pyryck wrote: »
    Not even close!

Here: try this one

You two are my new favourite people. :D
    Id love to see the Pathfinder Class in game. I used to do sims with Federation Sim Fleet and I remember fondly using this ship as the background to our Roleplaying.

Obviously another my ship is bigger and better then yours design. But the overall visual design is very appealing to me.

That's actually not that bad of a kitbash, it looks rather nice actually.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Most ships in canon Star Trek are kitbashes.

Actually only a few are Kitbashes.

New Oreleans
    Springfield
    Challenger
    Niagra
    Yeager
    Elkins
    Curry
    Freedom

The rest are either original or modified of an original model.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Actually only a few are Kitbashes.

New Oreleans
    Springfield
    Challenger
    Niagra
    Yeager
    Elkins
    Curry
    Freedom

The rest are either original or modified of an original model.

Nebula.......
  • Options
    theindefatigabletheindefatigable Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This looks a lot like the 1000-day veteran reward Starfleet ship. Or was that the point...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Former/Cryptic Name: Captain_Hans_Langsdorff
    Founding member, Special Service Squadron
    "Fear God and Dread Nought." First Sea Lord, Adm. Jacky Fisher
  • Options
    cahlphoenixcahlphoenix Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I love Excalibur Class (real) :)

That real "Super Battleship" Class, but have others informations :

■Comissioned: 2382-
    ■Crew: 1,650
    ■Mass: 7,432,000 metric tons
    ■Role: Battleship/Explorer

Dimensions
    ■Length: 2,100m
    ■Width: 863m
    ■Height: 295m
    ■Decks: 78

Armament
    ■18 Type XV Phaser Arrays:
    ■10 Class III Pulse Phaser Turrets: 165,000 TW output
    ■2 Rapid Fire Quantum Torpedo Tubes
    ■4 Pulse Fire Quantum Torpedo Tubes
    ■3 Type IV Burst Fire Photon Torpedo Tubes: 1,200 rounds

Defenses
    ■Regenerative Shields: 7,875,000 TJ capacity
    ■22cm Ablative Armor

Warp Speeds
    ■Class utilizes quantum slipstream drive.

http://sgvst.wikia.com/wiki/Excalibur_Class
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, anything less than some oversized fanfiction Superbattleship would be unable to do two obvious things:

-satisfy their megalomania

-compensate for obvious short...comings

:)
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Nebula.......

I never viewed the Nebula as a Kitbash, because I view Kitbashes as ships created from different pieces of other ships to make a new ship. The Nebula is just a restructured Galaxy with new original parts (like the Sensor Array). The Miranda and Centaur are the same as well.
  • Options
    thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Why are the windows on that "Excalibur" class so much bigger than the windows on the Sovereign? As though they took a ship Sovereign's size, and just made it bigger for no reason?

/questionanswered
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    thratch1 wrote: »
    Why are the windows on that "Excalibur" class so much bigger than the windows on the Sovereign? As though they took a ship Sovereign's size, and just made it bigger for no reason?

/questionanswered

It's a STO ship - the decks are 25 meters high instead of 3.

Serious answer: creator fails at inverse square law.

The page says it was originally the size of the Sovereign and they increased its mass by 50%... which somehow increased linear dimensions 200% based on its new length...

Inverse square law will eat your children if you try something like that. Double one dimension, square two, cube three - that's an 800% increase in volume (and assuming approximately the same density mass), not 50%.

On the same note, the crew count is just sad for a ship this size. The Galaxy is already way below the space/crew curve compared to other Star Trek ships, and this thing is far enough off that the Galaxy isn't even an outlier anymore. To maintain the space/crew ratio of the Sovereign, it'd need a crew of 6400-8000.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I never viewed the Nebula as a Kitbash, because I view Kitbashes as ships created from different pieces of other ships to make a new ship. The Nebula is just a restructured Galaxy with new original parts (like the Sensor Array). The Miranda and Centaur are the same as well.

Ex-Astris disagrees.
  • Options
    griged32griged32 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    pfui, I'll take the 'soft canon' Excalibur over that bloated excuse for a Sovereign/Galactica love-child spawn any day...
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Sorry, but Ex Astris is just another fan site with their own set of opinions. So basically you are countering my opinion, with someone elses opinion. :rolleyes:

If you think the Miranda and Nebula or whatever are Kitbashes, then that's what you believe. But I literally take the term "kitbashing" with Star Trek ships as literally mix-matching parts of different ships to create a new one.
  • Options
    age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I love Excalibur Class (real) :)

That real "Super Battleship" Class, but have others informations :

It is a criuser not a BB and can support cannons look at my link.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    There are lots of awesome fanships in mods for other games that sadly are unlikely to see light of day here :(
  • Options
    acoldtacoldt Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'd like to see a quick way for ship designers to submit a design for a ship and hand over the rights for the ship to cryptic, maybe with a significant stipend if the ship is used. The designer gets to name it(if the name is appropriate) and they get their name put in the description of the ship as its designer. Something like a year round(next enterprise) contest.

This would likely help to fill in the obvious gaps in many MANY race's ships.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    acoldt wrote: »
    I'd like to see a quick way for ship designers to submit a design for a ship and hand over the rights for the ship to cryptic, maybe with a significant stipend if the ship is used. The designer gets to name it(if the name is appropriate) and they get their name put in the description of the ship as its designer. Something like a year round(next enterprise) contest.

This would likely help to fill in the obvious gaps in many MANY race's ships.

Sorry, but Cryptic can't legally do that.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Yet you list the New Orleans class as a kitbash, despite the fact ...

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/New_Orleans_class#Studio_model

It was build FROM a USS Enterprise-D model kit with customs parts, no use from other model kits (there is no Su-27 in there).

If you mention it as a kitbash but the Nebula not then you are flip-floping, their studio model history is almost the same.

You should actually be using this link:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Studio_model#Kitbash
    The term "kit-bash" is a behind-the-scenes term used to describe a ship or a station created by the production staff from already existing parts of other ship, and station studio models, and/or additional model kits (not necessarily Star Trek-related). Kit-bashing has been a common method for creating filming models in the science fiction genre, such as in the movie Alien, where they served as the hero models. In Star Trek, however, kit-bash models served primarily as (deep) background elements, the method lending itself for quick and cheap assembly when additional elements were required in a very short time.
    So if you want the view the Miranda and such as a Kitbash, who am I to stop you. After all I said it was my opinion a few posts ago.
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    age03 wrote: »
    It is a criuser not a BB and can support cannons look at my link.

1. It's fanfiction. So it isn't. Even in the fictional Star Trek univerese it's fictional.

2. I was referring to the "other" fanfiction stats the person above me linked to:

http://sgvst.wikia.com/wiki/Excalibur_Class
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    No that's not the one.

Basically, it was the same as the original TOS Connie with the glowing sensor dish instead of the one with the antenna. I believe there were some other minor alterations (the secondary hull was more rounded, as it ended up on the final model), but not a great deal.

As I say, it was something the modellers came up with and dubbed the Excelsior class. As it predates all the other versions, I tend to think of it as the most authentic version (though still not canon).

Well I'll have to look at it. Sounds promising if we could mix match the Consitution and Refit section parts in the starship modeler.