test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Priority One Podcast Episode 97 New Frontiers: The Dan Stahl Interview

zmacgzmacg Member Posts: 86 Arc User
Priority One Podcast Episode 97 New Frontiers: The Dan Stahl Interview
Hello Captains! Welcome to Episode 97 of Priority One recorded on Thursday, September 20th, 2012 and hosted on PriorityOnePodcast.com and now streaming live on TrekRadio.NET on Thursday nights!!!

We have two great interviews with the Cryptic Dev's this week. Our resident KDF author Sargon, published a 100% Klingon focused Q&A Session with the Star Trek online Development team! He brought your questions and some of our own and attempted to get the best answers available to some long lingering Klingon questions! Qapla! Sargon, Qapla!

This week on the show we have a spectacular interview with Star Trek Online Executive Producer, Dan Stahl. Dan gives us some insight into Season 7, Launch day for the Vesta, What worked in Season 6, answers listener questions and so much more! Tune in and find out if your question was answered!

In this episode?s BoTW we take a look at a new NASA Skunkworks Warp Drive project! We?ll find out what happened This Week in Trek. In STO News we cover Lockboxes, Dev Blog 27, the newest Spotlight on the Foundry, and an update on STF gear from Salami Inferno!

All of our open positions have been filled, or we have closed the application process, except one! We are still on the lookout for more Game, scifi/fantasy and entertainment bloggers. If you have Blog submissions, please send them to incoming@priorityonepodcast.com ℅ Bill!

All of our positions are volunteer at the moment, none of us here at Priority One take home one single dime from our work. But the benefits are endless. We offer a well known outlet for your work and the opportunity to gain much needed experience or hone your already established experience.

Additional Links: Jesse Heinig's ChipIn page, State of the Game, KDF Q&A with the Dev's

Did you miss any of our great Blogs last week? Stop by this link and see for yourself!

Liked this episode? Totally hated it? Leave a comment below, or Contact Us using our handy web form at www.priorityonepodcast.com.

If you are a Fleet Admiral and are interested in joining one of our future shows to be interviewed about your fleet, please send us an email at incoming@priorityonepodcast.com.

To get the missions you are making using The Foundry featured, send in the name of your mission, a brief description, and your @handle to incoming@priorityonepodcast.com. You might be asked to record a video walkthrough of your mission with Priority One!

We have a call out to all Priority One fans for your ideas, bugs and tips for our new Field Notes Segment! Visit this link to submit your bugs, tips, or any idea or feature you would like to see implemented in game.

Enjoy the show!

STREAM WHILE YOU PLAY & DOWNLOAD FOR LATER (iTUNES AND MP3):

Web: http://priorityonepodcast.com

SUBSCRIBE:

FEEDBURNER

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER:

STOPriorityONE

CATCH US LIVE ON TREKRADIO 5:30 PM PT/8:30 PM ET:

www.trekradio.net

---
After listening to the show, e-mail us at incoming@priorityonepodcast.com and let us know what you thought of the episode! :cool:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Interesting news of the Romulan Embassy with the new twists, but really hope it's not as much as a grind as the STF and Fleet system currently are. Grind is fine if there is a pot at the end of the rainbow, but too much can just wear out people.

And I really hope the Wells and Korath aren't lockbox ships. Just doesn't make sense 29th Century ships fighting in the 25th Century. Remember the Temporal Prime Directive!

Anyhow guys, good Interview! Keep up the good work!
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Why are those Dan Stahl interviews always done by bootlickers? Everything is and has always been awesome, great, fantastic, wonderful. And there's never one single critiqual question.
  • kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Excellent show, guy. Thanks for the shout out James!

But in generally, yeah. Stahl was... Cryptic about his answers. He was very tentative about giving out dates and specifics. I don't it this is because he does not know, or if he is trying avoid contradicting himself later...

Still, it is nice to know the general direction of this game. I like the idea of the new Personal advancement system. Some of the crafting updates he hinted at sound fun, such as ship skins tied to crafting. All in all, it sounds like they have a general course set for the next year.

No if only we can fix the plasma fires down in PVP and the KDF factions...
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    LOVE the Nasa real Warp Drive Story, i hope all the technobabble turns out to be true.

If not, it at least makes me happy that there are People working on this kind of thing in RL.

@dStahl:

if we end up flying a Warbird for the FEDs or KDF, then where is the difference to flying an Alien LockBox Ship at Endgame? Uniform Options and a Green UI? That can't be it...

I'd rather have the Romulans be a full faction, even if they start at level 40 and only get 10 unique story missions for the beginning.

i WANT that Romulan DOff pack!
    new Romulan flavored DOff Assignments (and Chains)
    new Romulan C-Store Ships
    a real Romulan Starbase!
    3 Faction PvP, 8 vs 8 vs 8 Capture & Hold would be a real gamechanger for PvP
    and finally a pure Romulan Set of Foundry Missions !

If you keep STO as a 2 Faction Game then that is just a waisted opportunity to expand the Game.

PPS:
    Wells Class in the next LockBox? With a KDF counterpart?
    Didn't i hear a million times that LockBox Ships would only be ALIEN Ships and never FED/KDF Ships? *hmpf*
    I want that Breen Ship already...

The Wells Class would be the perfect 1000 Day Vet Reward "You waisted so much time with us, here have a free Timeship, maybe you can get some of it back?"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    szim wrote: »
    Why are those Dan Stahl interviews always done by bootlickers? Everything is and has always been awesome, great, fantastic, wonderful. And there's never one single critiqual question.

Because people who ask questions like "Have you stopped beating your be'nal?" are unlikely to get a second interview?

From Cryptic's perspective, I'm sure interviews count as a form of marketing. Shy of something that would be newsworthy to general audiences ("Game developer Thomas Marone's necktie got caught in a server widget in tragic accident, film at eleven!"), this isn't journalism but public relations with fan organizations. And if somebody's not a fan and you can't end the blurb with "Join us for the shocking footage! Film at eleven!", they probably wouldn't do it. And even then, the latter would require clearance from PWE.

Well, tragic necktie accidents aside, about the biggest and best you could hope for is something like Dan Stahl and a CBS rep going on Colbert to discuss killing off Picard in STO, kinda like how Marvel Comics went on to discuss killing Captain America or their viral marketing of the shapeshifting Skrull invasion. (Of the late night shows, Colbert would be the likeliest, I'd imagine, since he's in the Viacom family and plugs related products like How I Met Your Mother and Bay's Transformers more often than non-Viacom works. Plus, it would be Colbert or Conan if you're going for the nerd/geek demo and want a bigger audience than G4.) But that would mean convincing CBS to let them do something major (like killing Picard) that gets a few headlines.
    edited September 2012
    zerobang wrote: »
    LOVE the Nasa real Warp Drive Story, i hope all the technobabble turns out to be true.

If not, it at least makes me happy that there are People working on this kind of thing in RL.

@dStahl:

if we end up flying a Warbird for the FEDs or KDF, then where is the difference to flying an Alien LockBox Ship at Endgame? Uniform Options and a Green UI? That can't be it...

I'd rather have the Romulans be a full faction, even if they start at level 40 and only get 10 unique story missions for the beginning.

i WANT that Romulan DOff pack!
    new Romulan flavored DOff Assignments (and Chains)
    new Romulan C-Store Ships
    a real Romulan Starbase!
    3 Faction PvP, 8 vs 8 vs 8 Capture & Hold would be a real gamechanger for PvP
    and finally a pure Romulan Set of Foundry Missions !

If you keep STO as a 2 Faction Game then that is just a waisted opportunity to expand the Game.

PPS:
    Wells Class in the next LockBox? With a KDF counterpart?
    Didn't i hear a million times that LockBox Ships would only be ALIEN Ships and never FED/KDF Ships? *hmpf*
    I want that Breen Ship already...

The Wells Class would be the perfect 1000 Day Vet Reward "You waisted so much time with us, here have a free Timeship, maybe you can get some of it back?"

Well, with the minifaction idea... I'm presuming:

You'd be playing a Romulan in a Romulan ship, working for the KDF or Feds. Non-Romulans wouldn't get the ships. Romulans in the Fed or KDF wouldn't necessarily get non-Romulan ships.

My guess is that it's taking the idea of paid species one further by bundling in species exclusive ships, IF they did it.

Similar to, say, if instead of selling the Atrox and the Caitians separately, you'd paid $40 and got Caitians and Ferasans, who come with species exclusive ships at all tiers. So you see an Atrox, you know it's a Caitian flying it and it's all one big mega-bundle.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Because people who ask questions like "Have you stopped beating your be'nal?" are unlikely to get a second interview?

There's a difference between asking taff questions and being rude. I don't want interviewers to be rude. But I expect them to be a little more critiqual and not to comment everything the interviewee says with exaggerated exitement. Am I really asking too much?
  • gradstudent1gradstudent1 Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Also keep in mind that the editorial team at Priority One did allow for some very critical questions in the most recent Warrior's Way KDF interview with the devs. Check it out and leave a comment. We tried our best to capture the frustration of the KDF in a civilized and controlled manner:

Either here:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=394881

Or:

http://priorityonepodcast.com/wordpress/warriors-way-kdf-q-a/
  • arcademasterarcademaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Making new factions would be a terrible idea, I really don't get why people can't see that. You'd splinter PvP queues even more, you'd splinter PvE queues even more unless they are cross faction in which case faction wouldn't matter...

Foundry missions would reach an even smaller subset of players, Cryptic would have to create 3 events on anniversaries and so on, the time in between new stuff for the other factions would become even longer than it is now and the list goes on and on. There are a trillion reasons against splintering the game up with more factions. Things would become even more horrible if you add Cardis and other TRIBBLE too. A mini faction concept to get player races and ships out there circumvents all of that and would be enough.
    edited September 2012
    There's a difference between asking taff questions and being rude. I don't want interviewers to be rude. But I expect them to be a little more critiqual and not to comment everything the interviewee says with exaggerated exitement. Am I really asking too much?

I'm just saying, I think the folks at Cryptic are more selective with who they get interviewed by. If they expect hard questions, they probably won't go on at all.

It's unpaid work and something that could have consequences on their paid work.
    edited September 2012
    Making new factions would be a terrible idea, I really don't get why people can't see that. You'd splinter PvP queues even more, you'd splinter PvE queues even more unless they are cross faction in which case faction wouldn't matter...

Foundry missions would reach an even smaller subset of players, Cryptic would have to create 3 events on anniversaries and so on, the time in between new stuff for the other factions would become even longer than it is now and the list goes on and on. There are a trillion reasons against splintering the game up with more factions. Things would become even more horrible if you add Cardis and other TRIBBLE too. A mini faction concept to get player races and ships out there circumvents all of that and would be enough.

I can see all those issues and more.

Shy of redefining what a faction is, it won't happen.

"Full faction or bust" means it won't get done.

Cryptic just has trouble saying "no" to people even when they can't offer them anything, which is what leads to resentment.

You can't make somebody happy if you can't give them what they wad stringing them along seems cruel. I don't think it's intended as cruel but it's the equivalent of the prom queen telling the Klingon she'll go out with him someday but she's busy washing her hair tonight... and continuing to do that three years after she's married to the other guy.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited September 2012

If its anything like the other interviews all questions are submitted ahead of time and the one's that are answered are only the ones that are approved prior to the actual interview.
    One's best hope as the interviewee is to get moments of "insight" during the process from the person being interviewed.
    Otherwise the Devs are very careful about what they say and do not say.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • robertcrayvenrobertcrayven Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I am in agreement with others who have stated that, while this was a well-crafted interview, the answers on the part of Mr. Stahl were mostly more of the same vague and non-specific replies, to the extent that I found myself questioning whether or not I'd heard this very same interview in the past. I don't fault P1 for this, however - they can only work with what they're given.
    edited September 2012
    I have to disagree.
    This time the interview sounded more upbeat to the fact that having made progress in endgame, the sights of the Devs are now focused on the factions and the KDF has a good chance of seeing growth in seasons 8 and above that starts the process of completion and a level starting point.
    Granted its all grain of salt oriented, so we must still wait and hope that nothing suddenly causes it to be further pushed back.

On the subject of Broad Side firing vessels. If the Andorian is the first, will we see the Ferasans as another? or possibly the Leatheans?

R.I.P
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Good interview. Like all the kdf info recently.

All the kdf faction needs is a tutorial and less than 10 missions.
    And then fill up the cstore with kdf ships and costumes.
    Targ breeding, hand to hand fighting on qunos and more raiding would be nice but don't worry.

Honestly, the kdf has been fighting the romulans for like 30 years. Why can't some romulans who don't like the way the romulan empire is think joining the kdf is the lesser of two evils?

To make the romulans a complete and seperate full faction would be so much work it would make me cry just thinking about it. 50 missions. All redone doff system. 30 ships. Redesigned starbase. Redo all the featured episodes to put a romulan slant in.
    That would take forever.
    Allow the kdf and kdf only to have them!
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • paragon92518paragon92518 Member Posts: 268
    edited September 2012
    It's all about the Vesta! .........Vesta, Vesta, Vesta, Vesta, Vesta ,Vesta, Vesta, Vesta, Vesta, Vesta, Vesta,Vesta, Vesta, Vesta, Vesta, Vesta....ohh, and don't forget the Vesta...thank you Mr. Stahl
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Gonna echo some of the comments in this thread that the interviewers seemed a bit too complimentary for my tastes. I prefer more apparent impartiality.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Given interviews not too long ago that they were getting rid of factional queues (I.E. no more Fed vs Fed, KDF vs KDF and Fed vs KDF) due to low populations, and instead just having Feds and KDF mixed in PvP matches, it's not going to hurt the Romulan PvP queues. They would end up fighting along side Federation and Klingon players in PvP.

PvE, there surely would be plenty of people queued up for Fleet Marks, though doubt there would be anyone doing Fleet Actions since nobody does fleet actions anymore even on the Fed side. But wouldn't be surprised that like PvP queues, Fleet Actions end up multi-factional as well.

Romulan Foundry missions, some people will make missions for the love of it. Even if there was just 1 player on the Romulan Faction, Foundry authors will still make missions.

And for their anniversaries, you make that look harder than it sounds. Its the same banner in the same location, all they do is change the number. ;)

But all in all having a Romulan faction would be good, if they have enough missions for people's enjoyment as they level up. Though I think they would have a greater task of finding playable ships, since the Romulans have fewer ships than the KDF had.
  • rrincyrrincy Member Posts: 1,023
    edited September 2012
    Stahl can talk about the launch date of the Vesta...but ***K anyone who wants an Ambassador or Andorian launch date! And possibly some KDF and other Fed ships too.

It's all about the Vesta! .........Vesta, Vesta, Vesta, Vesta, Vesta ,Vesta, Vesta, Vesta, Vesta, Vesta, Vesta,Vesta, Vesta, Vesta, Vesta, Vesta
    ....ohh, and don't forget the Vesta!

its a big investment and a big risk
    they didnt own rights to use the ship , so had to ask permission , which is a long and potentially risky process , so they want to make sure its successful
    12th Fleet
    Rear Admiral , Engineering Division
    U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016
  • bruccybruccy Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    you never get straight answers from public relations or politicians .our whole society is based on web weaved deceit .
    edited September 2012
    bruccy wrote: »
    you never get straight answers from public relations or politicians .our whole society is based on web weaved deceit .

The more I read up on the latest interview...and the lack of responses...I'm beginning to wonder if most players even care at this point about the latest interview.
    edited September 2012
    I care. Damnit I CARE
    < patriotic music in the background>
    I really care
    < Someone hands me a Targ puppy>
    < KDF banners wave in the background>
    I truelly do.

R.I.P
  • robertcrayvenrobertcrayven Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    I care. Damnit I CARE
    < patriotic music in the background>
    I really care
    < Someone hands me a Targ puppy>
    < KDF banners wave in the background>
    I truelly do.

*Roach's KDF banner suddenly explodes into flames due to a bug left unchecked in the system since Season 3*
  • c4ptainmorg4nc4ptainmorg4n Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You know, I really like this game. I play it every single day. But I just cant listen to P1 because it just sounds too much like the hosts are on Cryptic's payroll. Even when it comes to things I like, I enjoy a balanced discussion.
    edited September 2012
    *Roach's KDF banner suddenly explodes into flames due to a bug left unchecked in the system since Season 3*

Fine, but those are caring flames of care. damnit. :P

R.I.P
  • swgvetswgvet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Gonna echo some of the comments in this thread that the interviewers seemed a bit too complimentary for my tastes. I prefer more apparent impartiality.

It is impossible for the P1 crew to be impartial. Remember from where they came and the actual members friends. Who can blame them? If you want to get the interviews, you toe the line. They give decent interviews for what they are given. At least they can get a recognizable name on their show.
  • thetruthurtsthetruthurts Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    swgvet wrote: »
    It is impossible for the P1 crew to be impartial. Remember from where they came and the actual members friends. Who can blame them? If you want to get the interviews, you toe the line. They give decent interviews for what they are given. At least they can get a recognizable name on their show.

I would say there is a difference between "toeing the line" and outright worshiping the devs.
  • swgvetswgvet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I would say there is a difference between "toeing the line" and outright worshiping the devs.

Toeing the line wasn't what i was talking about, had a brain freeze and that's all I could come up with. Not sure Dev worship is what Id call it either. Thinking its closer to nepotism.
    Hard to be impartial when girlfriends and good friends are running the show. Would like to see a good hard hitting interview on one of these podcast. Guess that will not happen.
    edited September 2012

I think the guys at P1 do a kick aZZ job! Heck, they actually asked my question. I was ASTOUNDED, and very, very happy :D

Since Branflakes closed the other thread, I wanted to post my sincere thank you to the guys at P1 for asking my question about the Ambassador Class... You guys are the best!!
  • c4ptainmorg4nc4ptainmorg4n Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I think the guys at P1 do a kick aZZ job!

A "kick azz" job at ignoring the hard questions? Definitely. A "kick azz" job at having a balanced discussion about the game and giving real attention to legitimate problems? Not so much.