test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Pet peeves with the Abrams Star Trek

gibbon1182gibbon1182 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Ten Forward
I know the JJ Abrams Star Trek is a rather touchy subject with most Trekkies, but I felt the need to get my pet peeves with the movie out there. I have three.

1. The warp "core" in the movie was multiple cores which doesn't make sense to me. Could anybody explain why they did the warp core this way instead of the standard warp core from all the other Star Treks.

2. The warp effect, not the effect of the ships jumping to warp which I actually think is pretty cool (I know blasphemy :eek: ), but the effect of them in warp which looks more like the hyper space thing from Star Wars. Now I'm no expert on warp theory but I don't think I have ever seen a ship going through some sort of corridor thing except when it is slip stream drive.

3. Now I know it is a brewery, but seriously Abrams, it would have been way cheaper to just build a set than renting a entire brewery. All those pipes and tanks did not say futuristic to me especially on a starship. It looked almost as if the entire enterprise was made of those pipes and tanks with a bridge, sick bay, and shuttle bay slapped on.
Post edited by gibbon1182 on

Comments

• captwinters1701captwinters1701 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    1. As seen in the Original series. Those canisters behind the fence could be the multple Warp Cores similar to the newest movie. Also remember that the USS Enterprise Aircraft carrier has 8 nuclear reactor cores, while Nimitz class ships which came much later have only 2 each.

2. Considering the amount of energy needed to bend Space/Time to achieve faster than light travel, I can't imagine the effect NOT being similar to what we saw in the latest movie. I think it's more unlikely that what we saw in the old series and it's spinoffs and movies was just too "clean" to be realistic, considering the amount of energies involved. But without proff either way, who's to know.

3. It was probably acutally cheaper to use the brewery for product placement rights (think Uhura's scene in the Bar where Kirk was hitting on her) plus if you had even seen a current tech vessel (and I've seen my share) this representation lloks more realistic. but that's just me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I have two, but the one main, over-riding, makes the freaking movie almost unwatchable:

:eek::eek: LENS FLARE!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek:

I mean, I could barely tell what was going on the bridge of the Kelvin for the most part. I really wanted to put some mini-blinds or something on the viewscreen/window.

Second, kind of nit-picky, was the fact that the Enterprise was assembled totally on the ground and then somehow magically made it through the thick atmosphere at escape velocity without the rather flimsy nacelle struts breaking off. I know you could say it was all beamed into space, but in ST: IV, Scotty was having a heck of a time beaming just two whales and the associated water into the ship. I know, this is the Abrams-verse where the rules aren't the same, but still.

Overall, I wish they would have stayed with the original timeline, but if the franchise had to have a reboot to attract enough of the general population to stay afloat, then I guess an alternate timeline is better than nothing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
    edited September 2012
    One other thing, it seems a little odd that Kirk went from cadet to captain of the Federation flagship in one step. Granted, we have to get Kirk to captain or we can't rehash, I mean reboot the series, but still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    it was entertaining.....it was treklike, but not really trek
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kobayashlmarukobayashlmaru Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'll take a stab at this.

1) Remember that Abrams Universe is trying to mimic 24th century tech with existing tech. Imagine trying to install a nuclear sub reactor on a WWII Mark XII submarine. Keep in mind that deuterium and antideuterium fuel is used in the matter-antmatter reactors on starships, and it's known that at least one Starfleet ship used multiple warp cores. So There are lots of ways this could have been possible, including possibly having each container house a warp core M/ARA assembly and dilithium crystal all tying into the same conduits to boost total power output.

2) There is some precedent here, as we've seen the "going to warp" affect look like the Star Wars wormhole before the flash of light brings the streaking stars effect. Given the fact that these ships clearly use multiple warp cores, it's possible the effects are different.

3a) Concerning location. The biggest reason was time. Building a set requires renting a space, hiring artists, finding props, buying materials, and so on. Shooting on location is probably cheaper since the factory already exists, had all the scenes they needed, and didn't involve setting something up only to be scrapped after filming was complete. This probably was cheaper for them this way.

3b) I would contend that on a ship using patchwork engineering (see point #1) it doesn't make sense to hide these things behind panels and as they would have on other ST ships. They are likely to have a lot of repair work. It was probably also rushed into service, as it was the maiden voyage after all. On the other hand, why Uhura is working in the hypnotic chamber is completely beyond me, that part makes no sense. As a communications officer, you are likely to be working in a much quieter location, or in a position to relay orders to nearby departments easily.

for the record, I also didn't like the engineering rooms. If you haven't seen it, the art work for what they intended to build was fantastic. I hope they have a chance to build it into the next movie.
    Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I have two, but the one main, over-riding, makes the freaking movie almost unwatchable:

I mean, I could barely tell what was going on the bridge of the Kelvin for the most part. I really wanted to put some mini-blinds or something on the viewscreen/window.

Second, kind of nit-picky, was the fact that the Enterprise was assembled totally on the ground and then somehow magically made it through the thick atmosphere at escape velocity without the rather flimsy nacelle struts breaking off. I know you could say it was all beamed into space, but in ST: IV, Scotty was having a heck of a time beaming just two whales and the associated water into the ship. I know, this is the Abrams-verse where the rules aren't the same, but still.

Overall, I wish they would have stayed with the original timeline, but if the franchise had to have a reboot to attract enough of the general population to stay afloat, then I guess an alternate timeline is better than nothing.

100% agree. Actually, I'll let go of it all because it's an alternate version except the bright lights almost everywhere on a ship. I think Abrams came out and lamented the choice to do that as well.
  • kobayashlmarukobayashlmaru Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Given we don't know what material was used or type of construction, it's hard to say. Visually it may look that way. But then if we went by visuals we might also say that putting multiple heavy jet engines on the wings of an aircraft will make it less sturdy, whereas in reality it has the opposite effect.

Those struts could be solid metal, whereas we know engineering and the saucer are going to be largely filled with air. That would make the struts the strongest portion of the ship. The same could be said about the "top heavy" neck of the ship that most people comment on.
    Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I found some of the concept art for Engineering off this Star Trek french website: http://forums.startrek-fr.net/viewtopic.php?pid=56838

Man, I hope they actually build this set for the sequel.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • captwinters1701captwinters1701 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited September 2012

I'll spot you the lens flasre, that was a bit annoying. as for point #2, i have 2 phrases for you that always seem to be forgotten when someone makes the arguement about the Entperise being built on the ground.

1. Sturctural Integrity Field- Keeps ship together during hi stress movments, I figure if it can keep the ship together while manuvering at impulse, or going to Warp Speed, then it can keep the ship together while on thrusters coming out of the atmosphere.

2. Inertial Dampeners - keeps everyone and everything inside the ship from going splat and ripping up the ineternals.

There is precedent in the TNG time frame of Galaxy Class ships being built on the ground.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    My only peeves were the lens flare and that hideous Constitution.

Everything else wasn't all that annoying. Perhaps stupid, in the case of the plot, but ultimately entertaining.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    After over an year and a half after the film was made I finally felt lucky, took my wife to the video store and we rent this piece of... film. After the credit roll, I opened my DVD player, spit on the DVD, threw it to the ground and stomped on it. Afte that, I cleaned it, made sure it was okay and brought it back. We never talk about it. Ever. :P

Seriously, the LOOKS of this piece of targ dung weren't it's biggest flaws. It was everything else and I mean literally everything. Even Leonard Nimoy depressed me in this...
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • goedzooigoedzooi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Believe me, you are not the only one, the first time I watched the movie, I was like: Did I just watched the new Star Trek movie, or a documentary about the sun?

Also: This
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (Or a pig)

Sorry if my English is bad.
  • sovakofvulcansovakofvulcan Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    While I have my own dislikes over the new Star Trek...storyline for one...

Back to the original questions

1. Multiple Warp Cores
    There are several instances of 24th century vessels using multiple warp cores
    (ie: Soverign Class has two) and many people have already pointed out the fact of power usage needing multiple cores just as a modern reactor core does. And if you think about some vessels must have more than one because every section of the MVAM Prometheus is warp capable. Also the "warp core" has been displayed on screen as several different things...in ST: Insurrection for example it is displayed as only being the dilithium chamber and Matter/Antimatter connectors on either side of it. So it could be concieved that in the Abrams Star Trek they were ejecting their version of each of those.

2. Wormhole Effect
    Go Watch Star Trek the Motion Picture or Star Trek II. When the enterprise first begins the acceleration to warp drive the ship drops into subspace via a rainbow colored wormhole...or at least that is how one warp theorist explained it to me

3.The Set
    Yes it was cheap...and somehow they made it look okay...when I first saw it I said..."I've seen this before"...and low and behold...go watch Star Trek The Motion Picture. When Kirk first comes aboard they show the "shuttle area" which looks like the interior of a water plant.
    Admiral Jisil T'ror
    Admiral Sovak
    “Does anyone remember when we used to be explorers...”
    edited September 2012
    goedzooi wrote: »
    Believe me, you are not the only one, the first time I watched the movie, I was like: Did I just watched the new Star Trek movie, or a documentary about the sun?

Also: This

Ha, I hadn't seen that video yet. Very accurate. I had read where JJ admitted he "might have gone overboard" on the lens flare. Of course, I never would have known what lens flare was if JJ hadn't gone so overboard with it.

Not particularly ST related, but still funny and on topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHqjmlM3kxs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Kirk is chekovs age
    Kirk is a "rule breaking , james dean "
    Kirk is a RACIST

Spock is suddenly higher ranked than everyone else
    Spock is apparently a pervert (Uhura)
    Spock seems to be trading favours with women

Chekov is clearly NOT russian
    Chekov and sulu are incompetent

Sulu is depicted as a sociopathic sword wielding JEDI

Uhura is a tart

Scotty is depicted as incompetent
    There is an escape death star alien in scotties work area

They messed up EVERYTHING in the time line
    Live long and Prosper
  • xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
    edited September 2012
    My peeve:

It was allowed to exist.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
    Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
  • catcherintheskycatcherinthesky Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Spock... the old one.

Before I get virtually flayed for that sentence, understand that Spock is probably the most layered and sympathetic character of the entire franchise, but had no reason to be in the movie. Nimoy's presence served no purpose other than to get treknerds to TRIBBLE. It took me right out of the story when he was introduced.

The constant incestuous insertion of popular characters from previous series destroys creativity and stifles the ability of new ideas to take root. It's tiresome, it's a dead horse Paramount/whomever can kick and be sure to get a few bucks from.

Uhura... of all the secondary TOS characters she probably had the most potential to be expanded upon. I found her instead to be annoying, not to mention shallow. A shame
    given she's the only female from the original cast they chose to give screen time.

My peeves were primarily with story and character elements itself, not so much the aesthetics of the movie. They could have just made a NEW STAR TREK movie with a neat story about the original characters. Period. Instead, they gave us a story to JUSTIFY why there is a new STAR TREK movie with the original characters...it was sad.
  • rustychatrustychat Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    1. Lens flare. Seriously, who didn't hate it?

2. The Enterprise as the flagship. The Enterprise-D was the first Enterprise to hold that honour, and the reason why was because of its illustrious linage. I suppose overall it doesn't bother me too much, except for when combined with this next part.

3. They crew the entire flagship with people not out, or barely out of the academy. I'm sure that the Federation can't possibly be that hard up for staff that they almost exclusively stick people with no actual service experience onto their top ship. Who would serious do that?

4. Some of the characterisations. I've absolutely no problem with Sulu having and being competent with a sword, but otherwise I've got to agree with much of what Sollvax said.
  • raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    While I have my own dislikes over the new Star Trek...storyline for one...

Back to the original questions

1. Multiple Warp Cores
    There are several instances of 24th century vessels using multiple warp cores
    (ie: Soverign Class has two) and many people have already pointed out the fact of power usage needing multiple cores just as a modern reactor core does. And if you think about some vessels must have more than one because every section of the MVAM Prometheus is warp capable. Also the "warp core" has been displayed on screen as several different things...in ST: Insurrection for example it is displayed as only being the dilithium chamber and Matter/Antimatter connectors on either side of it. So it could be concieved that in the Abrams Star Trek they were ejecting their version of each of those.

2. Wormhole Effect
    Go Watch Star Trek the Motion Picture or Star Trek II. When the enterprise first begins the acceleration to warp drive the ship drops into subspace via a rainbow colored wormhole...or at least that is how one warp theorist explained it to me

3.The Set
    Yes it was cheap...and somehow they made it look okay...when I first saw it I said..."I've seen this before"...and low and behold...go watch Star Trek The Motion Picture. When Kirk first comes aboard they show the "shuttle area" which looks like the interior of a water plant.

The only ship that I know has multiple warp cores other the Enterprise 09 is the Prometheus Class, canon. The Sovereign class has only one warp core where did you get two from?

My Peeve with st09 is the lens flare and the giant nacelles or why! also apparently the Enterprise from st 09 is bigger and longer than a galaxy and sovereign class! When the galaxy in prime-verse is the biggest ship while the Sovereign Class is the longest ship in the federation fleet.
  • runabout01runabout01 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hi Guys love this post. I also remember reading a tech manual or a magazine about the Sowie that did have a redundant warp core. I believe if i remember correctly it was only 2/3 the size of the main core.
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    Kirk is chekovs age

The rest of your post is meaningless after this comment...

Kirk was born in 2233, he is 25 years old when he encounters Nero in 2258. Chekov is 17 years old.

If you can't get this part accurate, the rest of your comment doesn't matter much, since it too would be filled with inaccuracies.
    rustychat wrote: »
    2. The Enterprise as the flagship. The Enterprise-D was the first Enterprise to hold that honour, and the reason why was because of its illustrious linage. I suppose overall it doesn't bother me too much, except for when combined with this next part.

It was said in the movie, that most of the fleet was preoccupied in the Laurentian System. We don't know why, but that's where they were. Unlike the previous 10 movies, atleast we got a REASON for why the Enterprise is "the only ship in range".

Second, the Enterprise was rushed into service because of an emergency on/near Vulcan, Earth's closest ally. Starfleet was basically forced to crew the ship with whatever personnel they had on hand at the time, which would've been mostly cadets (who were graduating). They even showed the scene in the barracks, with the Barracks Commander assigning various crewmembers to different ships.
    HvGQ9pH.png
    edited September 2012
    Sorry Double Post.
    edited September 2012
    runabout01 wrote: »
    Hi Guys love this post. I also remember reading a tech manual or a magazine about the Sowie that did have a redundant warp core. I believe if i remember correctly it was only 2/3 the size of the main core.

lol If it was not mentioned on screen, meaning tv series or movies then it is not canon. True there is still alot we don't know about the Sovereign Class and I hope your right and if there is going to be another star trek series set in the primeverse I hope they use the Sovereign Class.
  • rustychatrustychat Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    meurik wrote: »
    It was said in the movie, that most of the fleet was preoccupied in the Laurentian System. We don't know why, but that's where they were. Unlike the previous 10 movies, atleast we got a REASON for why the Enterprise is "the only ship in range".

Second, the Enterprise was rushed into service because of an emergency on/near Vulcan, Earth's closest ally. Starfleet was basically forced to crew the ship with whatever personnel they had on hand at the time, which would've been mostly cadets (who were graduating). They even showed the scene in the barracks, with the Barracks Commander assigning various crewmembers to different ships.

Yep, those parts I got. Though, if the flagship, or any ship for the matter were in a ready enough state to flown into combat, it would already have its own skeleton crew for it's shakedown cruise to check there's no glaring problems with the ship's construction. But we'll assume that they had done the shakedown, and the final fittings of the ship was currently underway and that takes long enough that they reassign everyone to another ship, possibly because of whatever reason much of the fleet was in the Laurentian System or that they were out checking over another ship. I can get behind that, but what about after the crisis at Vulcan was resolved? Yes, the crew didn't lose the ship, and arguably did a good job, but that would result in them getting to remain in command of the flagship? Kirk not even out of the academy and is now a captain, and I doubt that they just mean someone in command of a ship by that. No idea how many ranks others skipped over so freely either.

Sure, in STO we start off as ensigns are acquire command of a ship, but at the same time we aren't given an Odyssey. We're given a ship which downright antiquated. It's also a case of gameplay taking precedence since we're supposed to be a relatively new officer near the start of their career, but not many people will want to sit at the console pressing buttons and following someone else on away missions till they get more of a chance to take responsiblity and get promoted.
  • joshl7889joshl7889 Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Alright, wat i am about to say is probably going to irritate alot of people. Ive been watching star trek since i was little. I grew up with TNG, DS9 and VYGR. This new movie was awesome. Granted yes the lense flare was a bit much. But people have to think. One of the Taglines for this movie, if i recall correctly, was This is not your father's Star Trek. And that is 100% true. I for 1 love the redesign of the Constitution. Granted it is the size of a small moon compared to the Roddenberry connie.

As far as the multiple warpcores, i would imagine u would need several cores to propel a ship of that size through space. however if u look, these cores do not appear as big as the ones used in the Roddenberry universe. Smaller cores, means many to get the same thrust as you would need if u had 1 the size that it should be.
    *Me*Why don't you just step away from the weapons console. You and I both know that you couldn't hit that cube, even if it was right in front of us.
    *Junior Tactical Officer* But sir the cube IS right in front of us.
    *Me* EXACTLY! Its right in front of us and you still missed it! Just step away from the console.
    edited September 2012
    As long as it does not disrespect the original trek im fine with it. Hopefully we will get a new tv series set in the primeverse soon.
    edited September 2012
    raj011 wrote: »
    As long as it does not disrespect the original trek im fine with it. Hopefully we will get a new tv series set in the primeverse soon.

I would like that as well, but I'm not sure it's going to happen. Johnathan Frakes tried a few years back and was turned down because of oversaturation of the franchise.

Granted, I don't watch much TV so I could be totally off, but it seems like sci-fi in general has waned a lot in the last few years. Stargate(s), Babylon 5, Andromeda, etc. were all running while TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT were on the air. It may be a cycle, though. Lost in Space, etc. was running while TOS was on the air.

I blame reality shows. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • chrisedallen89chrisedallen89 Member Posts: 17,293 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    1. Plot Holes and inconsistencies with science and the plot in general.

2. The Lack of chemistry- This one seems to be a problem since they did not have the comfort with each other (I know that but still that spark was missing.)

3. Lens Flare- Bridge looked like a apple store.

4. too much pew pew

5. No central heart that was present in the older material.

6. The Villain was to 1 Dimensional

Do I hate the film? No. Just really don't like how they are treating the source material. The 09 film was more of a summer popcorn flick than a revival of the franchise. It did what it was supposed to but the problem I mostly had with it is that it did not Nolanize Star Trek... It just made it easier for the lowest common denominator to watch and understand..
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    We were never actually told that the Enterprise flew up through the atmosphere, were we?

It's possible that the ship was built (least the major components) down on Earth, disassembled to parts (saucer, hull, nacelles ect) taken into space (by shuttle, transporter, big-TRIBBLE catapult) and then refitted with all the final adjustments.

As far as inconsistencies go, Spock (senior) was left on Delta Vega to watch the destruction of his home planet (Vulcan). Delta Vega (if you look it up within Trek) is nowhere near Vulcan, yet Spock managed to witness his planet crumble from an entire system away. Uhm?

And finally, in one stage of the film Pike clearly says (to Spock Junior) "be careful with her Spock, she's the first of her kind" - obviously referring to the Enterprise. Excuse me for a moment, but isn't the Enterprise a Constitution Class? Thus wouldn't the Constitution have been the first of her kind? Not to mention NCC-1631 (Intrepid), NCC-1657 (Potemkin), NCC-1664 (Excalibur) and NCC-1672 (Exeter). Surely these ships would have been commissioned (or at least built) before the Enterprise?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Are the NCC numbers meant to be in order of commissioning?

How it got into space is simply a leap of logic in my mind. I moaned out load in the theater when I saw it on the ground.