test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to get rid of The Captain-Zero is PURE AWESOMENESS thread

briittabriitta Member Posts: 44 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Ten Forward
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~kalecto
Post edited by briitta on

Comments

• anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If it bugs you that much, you can always report the people for artificially increasing their post count, witch is in violation of the forum rules.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • briittabriitta Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    If it bugs you that much, you can always report the people for artificially increasing their post count, witch is in violation of the forum rules.

Not a bad idea.
  • hortworthortwort Member Posts: 281
    edited September 2012
    Three problems here:

1) Threads against specific persons are not nice.

2) Zero didn't make the thread, friends did. Zero hardly even posts in it.

3) The stated purpose of this forum: "Introduce yourself, share fan art, fan fiction, role play, and make friends here! Romulan Ale is still prohibited."
    I miss my _.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So the Deferi are cowards, now they're braggarts and jerks?

Horty's right, even though Cappy and Zero have threads named after them, it's mostly other people that post in them. You want a thread named after you?

Be awesomeness.

Threads against specific people (Particularly a friend of a lot of us) is not awesome.

Now watch this thread fade in to obscurity. :D Cause if it doesn't I'll get a mod to lock it. Heh heh heh....
  • hydaspeshydaspes Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So the Deferi are cowards, now they're braggarts and jerks?

I must say, I was not aware of this thread and Briitta's irritation over the captain zero thread, but I was made aware of comments about the Deferi, so I did have to have a look.

The measure of a man is truly taken when we see how he responds when things don't go his way.

And in your case, it turns out that biggotry and playing a racial card is how you respond.

It does not become you and I find it very unbalanced. That is all I have to add to this thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.defera.org
    edited September 2012
    hortwort wrote: »
    Three problems here:

1) Threads against specific persons are not nice.

2) Zero didn't make the thread, friends did. Zero hardly even posts in it.

3) The stated purpose of this forum: "Introduce yourself, share fan art, fan fiction, role play, and make friends here! Romulan Ale is still prohibited."

In response (I will not respond to centersolace, insults and threats get you nowhere).

1) The thread is named after Captain Zero in a big way, so he/she was who I commented on, as being responsible for it. But I meant the Borg thing in jest, and maybe I shouldn't have said that. I do not mean to speak out against his/her person, I apologise if it seemed this way.

2) Captain Zero posts in it all the time. If you run through the thread you will see this too. But that's not the point, it's about the thread, not him/her.

3) In the rules you state, which category does this thread fill? Introduced you already are. It has little to nothing to do with STO, Star Trek etc. No role play either. So it must be: make friends? But you all are obviously already friends, in fact, if I read back, I get the impression most of you live in the same town. So not much friend making either.

For a fact. The thread has now 1.775 postings by the same 8 characters. That is on average 221 postings per person. Although of this group of 8, a few post the most.

These are your last three postings:
    > How much wood can a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck can chuck wood? (Captain Zero)
    > Depends on the size of the woorchuck I would assume? (centersolace)
    > Who needs woodchucks when you can have beavers?! We've got plenty up here, so help yourself. (jcsww)

And these are just your last three postings! Thousands of postings before this are just the same. Maybe the thread started out as a friend making/introduction thing, that is fine, but it just has run its course. Thousands of people read these forums, and they hope to see something that has anything to do with STO. It is a STO forum after all.

There are plenty of really good media out there to continue this thread. Like Twitter, Facebook etc. So maybe it's time that the 8 of you call it a day, stop bumping this thread to the top of ten forward all the time, and continue it elsewhere. So there is room for more STO subjects on the first page of the forum, where most people look. It will make the forum more interesting for more people, and you can help in that!

And as Anazonda pointed out, your thread, filled with incredibly short postings irrelevant to STO, seems to look more like a means for artificially increasing your post count. And that's just not right.
  • disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'd have to agree that this is a non issue. 10f if for posting whatever you want to talk about for whatever reason. if they choose to talk about burgers and beavers thats their buisness.

The questions you should ask are
    1)Is it hurting anyone?
    2)Is it hurting me?
    3)Am I required to read it?
    4)why shoild I care?

I mean the capulet thread has been around for like 3 years now. And it startred with a question about tribbles and TRIBBLE. Why not complain about that one? I mean if it's posts counts in directionless threads that bug you, that one has like 11,000.
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=145017&highlight=capulet
    So I ask the question. Why did you single this one out?
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    briitta wrote: »

But there is no way to get rid of it, because the same small band of people keep feeding the thread with utterly useless information about what they had for breakfast, where to buy the best hamburgers in their home town, whether it is raining outside, etc.

Are you new to ten forward or something because these small band of people have been there for 3 years. These small band of people made ten forward into what it was and put their own brand of unique humour into it. If that unique humour is not to your taste, then dont read the thread.

please dont ask people how to post that have been here for a very, very long time. if you feel like somehow rules are somehow being broken then report it and let the mods decide. If not let people find their entertainment here.
    edited September 2012
    I mean the capulet thread has been around for like 3 years now. And it startred with a question about tribbles and TRIBBLE. Why not complain about that one? I mean if it's posts counts in directionless threads that bug you, that one has like 11,000.
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=145017&highlight=capulet
    So I ask the question. Why did you single this one out?

I care because I find a lot of people new to STO look on the first page of a forum for interesting threads, and if there is nothing there, they move on, and usually don't look at the hundreds of pages below it.

There are fantastic and interesting postings in Ten Forward (and not by me, I have never started a thread). But they all get bumped off within a day or two by all these senseless ones that really belong on facebook or twitter. So hardly anyone gets to see the good threads this way, threads for fans of Star Trek.

Does it hurt me? No. Is it good for the forum and the ST fans? No. Does that bother me. Yes, enough to start a discussion on it.

I have not singled this one out though. I agree with you there are lots more! And I consider this a bit more of a test case. If in the end moderators would agree it's better for the quality of the forum to discourage this kind of irrelevant threads, it will apply to all of them.

But you know, if a thread seems irrelevant, but the jokes and puns are about STO subjects, I would say it's not out of place. That is more a matter of taste. So I would have to read the tribble posting more carefully before I agree with you on that one.

The Captain Awesomeness thread I have read carefully, so on that one I'm certain.
    edited September 2012
    I care because I find a lot of people new to STO look on the first page of a forum for interesting threads, and if there is nothing there, they move on, and usually don't look at the hundreds of pages below it.

There are fantastic and interesting postings in Ten Forward (and not by me, I have never started a thread). But they all get bumped off within a day or two by all these senseless ones that really belong on facebook or twitter. So hardly anyone gets to see the good threads this way, threads for fans of Star Trek.

Does it hurt me? No. Is it good for the forum and the ST fans? No. Does that bother me. Yes, enough to start a discussion on it.

I have not singled this one out though. I agree with you there are lots more! And I consider this a bit more of a test case. If in the end moderators would agree it's better for the quality of the forum to discourage this kind of irrelevant threads, it will apply to all of them.

But you know, if a thread seems irrelevant, but the jokes and puns are about STO subjects, I would say it's not out of place. That is more a matter of taste. So I would have to read the tribble posting more carefully before I agree with you on that one.

The Captain Awesomeness thread I have read carefully, so on that one I'm certain.

I don't know, Considering the forum is divided into sections, and that the first page of the forums is actualy a listing of those sections with a description and the most current posting. I find it hard to believe anyone would just look at 10f and give up. Also if the moderators were ever going to remove any of those posts they would have done it years ago. And considering we are talking about a small number of threads posted bu a small group of people I also don't see how the entire first page of 10f posts could be the ones you disagree with. I mean i rarelt go to 10f or post anything in it but i find i have no trouble reading the interesting bits or wading through the sea of things I have no interest in to find the nuggets of thing I do.

edited September 2012
    Are you new to ten forward or something because these small band of people have been there for 3 years. These small band of people made ten forward into what it was and put their own brand of unique humour into it. If that unique humour is not to your taste, then dont read the thread.

It's not about the humor, it's about wheter it's relevant to STO.

Yes, I am new, and many more people here are new. It is actually good news for this forum that new people come along. We want new people to get into it, right?

As a new person I see lots of interesting threads by other new people being bumped off the first page within days, by this small band of old players. I respect the old players, but I also think they have some responsibility for making it all a bit more accesible for new players.

Look on page two and three of the forum, at threads of new people, that are really interesting to Star Trek fans and that already have died out because no-one sees them anymore. All for the benefit of us reading what the best hamburger joint in a particular US town is.
    edited September 2012
    It's not about the humor, it's about wheter it's relevant to STO.

This is the description for Ten Forward

Introduce yourself, share fan art, fan fiction, role play, and make friends here! Romulan Ale is still prohibited.

Where does it say it has to be relevant to STO?
    edited September 2012
    I don't know, Considering the forum is divided into sections, and that the first page of the forums is actualy a listing of those sections with a description and the most current posting. I find it hard to believe anyone would just look at 10f and give up. Also if the moderators were ever going to remove any of those posts they would have done it years ago. And considering we are talking about a small number of threads posted bu a small group of people I also don't see how the entire first page of 10f posts could be the ones you disagree with. I mean i rarelt go to 10f or post anything in it but i find i have no trouble reading the interesting bits or wading through the sea of things I have no interest in to find the nuggets of thing I do.

Maybe you're right, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it does not bother the new people as much as it bothers me. I just thing it might. I just particularly love ten forward because it is about free-topic Star Trek, rp, etc. All the other categories are not. I just think Ten Forward could be a lot better if it is less 'twitter' and more 'Star Trek forum'.
    edited September 2012
    Maybe you're right, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it does not bother the new people as much as it bothers me. I just thing it might. I just particularly love ten forward because it is about free-topic Star Trek, rp, etc. All the other categories are not. I just think Ten Forward could be a lot better if it is less 'twitter' and more 'Star Trek forum'.

Well 10f was never dedicated to only things startrek its the only free form forum on this site and the only place where you can talk about what you want regardless of topic. I will also note the the lions share of topics are in some way startrek related and most of the dead posts are usualy dead end conversations to begin with. Alot of the posts from new people only ever contain the origional post and nothing else from that user.

edited September 2012

Introduce yourself, share fan art, fan fiction, role play, and make friends here! Romulan Ale is still prohibited.

Nowhere it states that clearly, in that you are right.

Only, from the nature of this forum, it would make sense if the topics are even remotely relevant for Star Trek fans. I thought the thread on the new Robocop or Judge Dread films were relevant, because we are all sci-fi fans. So it doesn't need to be about Star Trek.

But these threads we are talking about are not into any of the above mentioned things either. They are already friends (that mostly live in the same town), so making friends they are not. It's not about introducing themselves. It's not about fan art, fan fiction, role play, not even about drinking Romulan Ale!.

Surely Ten Forward is not simply a waste bin for all topics that fit nowhere else? The rules do not seem to imply that either. Surely the question where the best burger is to be had in a particual US town is not really relevant for Ten Forward?
  • varoolvarool Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited September 2012

strictly by this, that thread covers none of these factors, they have already introduced themselves, there is no fan art, fan fiction or roleplaying and they are already friends. there may have been an instance of romulan ale being sneaked in as well :P. by that strict definition, that thread does no longer belong on the forum.

complain all you wish, but nothing can last forever and somethings are best left to die with as much respect as possible before they are gone for good. if you think i am not making sense, perhaps you can tell me where the original STF's have gone or the old forums? times change and so should this community, that means leaving a thread like that behind for artificial post counting.
    edited September 2012
    I would just like to point out the most replied to posts in 10f have almost nothing to do with startrek and some date back to beta. This implies that the subject matter of these posts are indeed within the rules of the forum and that posts of this nature are among the most popular.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129&daysprune=-1&order=desc&sort=replycount

edited September 2012
    Well 10f was never dedicated to only things startrek its the only free form forum on this site and the only place where you can talk about what you want regardless of topic. I will also note the the lions share of topics are in some way startrek related and most of the dead posts are usualy dead end conversations to begin with. Alot of the posts from new people only ever contain the origional post and nothing else from that user.

No, you are right that it does not only need to be about Star Trek.

Topics on Robocop, Judge Dread, etc., they were all fun too. And fit fine in 10f, as it is a place where sci-fi fans tend to go.

And your opinion on other threads that have died is noted. But that is a matter of taste.

But the rules for 10f leave a lot open, but they also imply topics. They do not say: just put anything here. Or: 10f is a sort of waste-bin for topics that fit nowhere else. Moderators, by their own admission, rarely visit 10f.

And if you are saying: the problem of irrelevant and out-of-place threads is not that big. As I said, you might be right on that on, and I might be wrong. Maybe I'm seeing it as being bigger or more of a bother than it really is. But I still think it is good to have a discussion on it. After all, 10f is of all of us, so we can discuss on how we think it should look.
    edited September 2012
    No, you are right that it does not only need to be about Star Trek.

Topics on Robocop, Judge Dread, etc., they were all fun too. And fit fine in 10f, as it is a place where sci-fi fans tend to go.

And your opinion on other threads that have died is noted. But that is a matter of taste.

But the rules for 10f leave a lot open, but they also imply topics. They do not say: just put anything here. Or: 10f is a sort of waste-bin for topics that fit nowhere else. Moderators, by their own admission, rarely visit 10f.

And if you are saying: the problem of irrelevant and out-of-place threads is not that big. As I said, you might be right on that on, and I might be wrong. Maybe I'm seeing it as being bigger or more of a bother than it really is. But I still think it is good to have a discussion on it. After all, 10f is of all of us, so we can discuss on how we think it should look.

I believe it as actualy always meant to be exactly a waste bin. Every forum needs an pit for all the other irrelevant, useledd, or off topic things to go. And part of making friends is keeping them. So in that regard continuing a thread after you have made friends is a perfectly good way to keep a friend. Some of those people may not be in the same time zone or on at the same time of day, some may even wish to not disclose their actual identity to their gaming friends so 10f is a perfect place to grafiti a wall and say "wasup?".

edited September 2012
    I believe it as actualy always meant to be exactly a waste bin. Every forum needs an pit for all the other irrelevant, useledd, or off topic things to go. And part of making friends is keeping them. So in that regard continuing a thread after you have made friends is a perfectly good way to keep a friend. Some of those people may not be in the same time zone or on at the same time of day, some may even wish to not disclose their actual identity to their gaming friends so 10f is a perfect place to grafiti a wall and say "wasup?".

Oh, but I totally agree with you on that it is very useful to stay in touch with friends! So I see why this particulay thread is very good. But there are much much better media out there for that. Things like facebook, twitter and many others. They allow more flexibility, more privacy, more adjustments, better integration in your desktop, etc. So why not move it over to a better medium? Many fleets actually do this.

I do not agree with you on that 10f is a wastebin, and I do not think it was meant to be either. They did formulate rules on the topics after all. This seems to imply it has a certain purpose.
    edited September 2012
    Oh, but I totally agree with you on that it is very useful to stay in touch with friends! So I see why this particulay thread is very good. But there are much much better media out there for that. Things like facebook, twitter and many others. They allow more flexibility, more privacy, more adjustments, better integration in your desktop, etc. So why not move it over to a better medium? Many fleets actually do this.

I do not agree with you on that 10f is a wastebin, and I do not think it was meant to be either. They did formulate rules on the topics after all. This seems to imply it has a certain purpose.

Yes there are rules on topics. Most of which don't apply to 10f that is it's point. Where else on this site can I share a video of someone gluing an Iphone to the ground in a busy place and recording the results?

edited September 2012
    But that is a matter of taste.

Yes it is. You have your personal taste. I have mine. Everybody has their own.

Can you not let everybody have their personal taste, no matter how odd or strange it might seem to you? Infinite diversity and all that even if it sounds a bit bonkers.

Someone else could turn up and say judge dread has nothing to do with star trek at all and it should go, yet you dont mind it. I dont mind it. It falls within our range of acceptance. Our range might not be his range.

These threads, of which there are not that many, are a bunch of people chatting in their own way that they personally find acceptable. I accept that we cant talk about every topic and there are some grey areas that fall under a mods discretion. Talk of religion is specifically banned for I think fairly obvious reasons so we dont have carte blanche, but i would find ten forward to become a much duller place if your viewpoint was considered the way it should be.

You mention about attracting new fans. I was attracted to the wacky sense of humour, even more so that the talk of Trek. It just appealed to me. I made friends with these people. It did not stop me talking about start trek or finding hundreds of other more on topic threads. There is room for everyone here and threads that I dont like can be ignored, especially as they have such non-threatening or non controversial titles that they dont exactly invoke an argument like on the more serious boards.
  • redsoniavrelredsoniavrel Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I had no idea that thread existed until someone complained about it. I will read it now.
    edited September 2012
    Yes it is. You have your personal taste. I have mine. Everybody has their own.

Can you not let everybody have their personal taste, no matter how odd or strange it might seem to you? Infinite diversity and all that even if it sounds a bit bonkers.

Someone else could turn up and say judge dread has nothing to do with star trek at all and it should go, yet you dont mind it. I dont mind it. It falls within our range of acceptance. Our range might not be his range.

These threads, of which there are not that many, are a bunch of people chatting in their own way that they personally find acceptable. I accept that we cant talk about every topic and there are some grey areas that fall under a mods discretion. Talk of religion is specifically banned for I think fairly obvious reasons so we dont have carte blanche, but i would find ten forward to become a much duller place if your viewpoint was considered the way it should be.

You mention about attracting new fans. I was attracted to the wacky sense of humour, even more so that the talk of Trek. It just appealed to me. I made friends with these people. It did not stop me talking about start trek or finding hundreds of other more on topic threads. There is room for everyone here and threads that I dont like can be ignored, especially as they have such non-threatening or non controversial titles that they dont exactly invoke an argument like on the more serious boards.

But you misunderstand my argument, I think.

I actually find some of the content of the thread in question funny, or witty. So I am not saying it is not to my taste.

The argument is that there is limited space on a forums first page, and this particular thread, that might have started off nicely, has outrun its relevancy. It is not attracting new people, it has no content that is slightly relevant for anyone but they themselves.

It still is very worthwhile for them to discuss what the best burger joint in their US town is, and that there is a bit of rain today, etc. And they should keep doing that! It's funy, nice and it bonds them. Great!!!

Just.....not here. Use Twitter, Facebook or many of the other applications that are set up for this much better than this forum.

As for the topics, as long as they are not stricktly for intimates and even slightly interesting to the sci-fi fans this forum attracts, I am completely fine with that. The only things I do not like to see here are basically twitter-like threads with nonesense stricktly meant for the limited band of friends joining in. It does not belong here (my opinion, eh?)
    edited September 2012
    I had no idea that thread existed until someone complained about it. I will read it now.

Cool. I'm curious what you make of it.
    edited September 2012
    Yes there are rules on topics. Most of which don't apply to 10f that is it's point. Where else on this site can I share a video of someone gluing an Iphone to the ground in a busy place and recording the results?

Maybe nowhere on this site. It's funny, I grant you that. But this is a STO forum, it is connected to the game.

Why not post that on Youtube, Facebook, link it to Twitter, or.....there are so many places where you can share funny stuff with friends!
    edited September 2012

Just.....not here. Use Twitter, Facebook or many of the other applications that are set up for this much better than this forum.

Many of us do use them, although one of the problems with those social websites is that you almost force people to read your stuff, whether your friends and followers are from 10F or not so it does not stay contained to the people who only want to read it, where a specific thread does as you actively have to click on it.
    edited September 2012
    Many of us do use them, although one of the problems with those social websites is that you almost force people to read your stuff, whether your friends and followers are from 10F or not so it does not stay contained to the people who only want to read it, where a specific thread does as you actively have to click on it.

Fair enough. But if you like the forum as a place to post things, then there are an enormous amounts of them around to do so on.

Imagine I have a new pussycat. Do I then post that picture here on ten forward with the title: look at my sweet pussycat?

I would post it on the pussycat forum, or something like that.

But if I then photoshop my pussycat, give it a Startrek uniform, and then post it with the title: look at my Kirk pussycat?

That would at least be more relevant to the STO community (but still a slippery slope).
  • hydaspeshydaspes Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Where else on this site can I share a video of someone gluing an Iphone to the ground in a busy place and recording the results?

That was an Apple commercial you are enthousiastically spreading around this forum. Do you work for them or didn't you realize what it was?

@ Briitta....I don't think you can ever get rid of the Awesomeness of Captain Zero, I sympathize with your plea, but some things are just what they are, we have to accept them in balance...time will take care of the rest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.defera.org
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Surely Ten Forward is not simply a waste bin for all topics that fit nowhere else?

Yup. .............
This discussion has been closed.