test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Need help desperately!!

So... this is what's been happening:

I start STO, log in to the launcher, click engage, and as the big CRYPTIC sign comes up and it starts loading - crash... CrypticError: Oops!
EVERY SINGLE TIME
There is one thing I have done to get me in until the next time I start the computer: delete a pigg/hogg file and then let it patch and I get in, but frankly I don't want to have to do this EVERY TIME I TRY TO PLAY STO. Sorry if I seem a little angry, but I have spent A HELL of a lot of money on this game and NOTHING I've tried has fixed this problem. Please, I need help, someone! I really like this game and don't want to just give up on it.
I have tried fresh installs, all sorts of things but NOTHING. I'm begging you I really need your help.

Edit: I am normally fairly adept with these sorts of things and the fact that I can't fix it really annoys and confuses me :\
Post edited by rustyd7 on

Comments

• Options
    captainmarvelushcaptainmarvelush Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If I was you, I'd do a complete recovery on your computer then re-install the game. If that didn't work, contact a computer repair outfit and let them handle your problem. Sounds like you've already done everything else possible.
    Captain of the Thunder and the Lightning

46cq7exrnlgb.jpg
  • Options
    rustyd7rustyd7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well the thing that I can't understand is that I can sometimes get it to load up and work shortly (and then crash of course)... anyway thanks for your prompt reply, but I'm actually a computer fix it guy myself and I STILL can't figure it out. Would appreciate any help from others aas well, please do not close this thread.
    A side note is that I just downloaded the latest version of the StarTrekOnline.exe launcher and I am able to actually get in and play for say 5 minutes each time before BAM... CrypticError.exe: Oops! ... or worse; sometimes a complete crash that requires a hard reboot.

Edit: So the new launcher has ALREADY lost its effect, back to the same issue again... I don't know how much longer I can put up with this Cryptic and PWE, if you want my money, make me want to give it? I don't wanna sound like a greedy little douche but I'm starting to get a bit sick and tired of - login, engage, crash, patching.............. nothing happens cancel doesn't work... Ctrl Alt Del, Processes, end GameClient.exe and CrypticError.exe, delete a pigg/hogg, update for 30 minutes to an hour, play for 30 minutes, turn computer off, tomorrow, start again......
  • Options
    stangluver77stangluver77 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    back in June sto blew the capacitors on my vid card, since that time I restored my computer to factory settings and updated it with all the service packs and c++ and .net frameworks. i just replaced my video card and reinstalled sto and my launcher will not update.

i am behind a router but my computer is wired in it. my firewall is turned off when i try to play i did input STO into the internet allowances list and im running windows xp on admin. i tried to download and apply STO from the STO website and steam as well as the disk i purchased. i have every update windows has to offer for xp i have java and direct x all installed. even all my drivers are updated to the most recent available. and yet i get the message that a lot of other people get. trying to update launcher please be patient. then it disappears and nothing happens except i get an error report utility. a crash log, a shut down log,and a dll file log that relates to the launcher. i dont know if this is anything to speak of but on the manage account guard tab it shows my ip as the one that is listed for my router not my comp dunno if this could be a factor or not for sto not updating my launcher. i even tried to download the new launchers and still no go please help im at wits end with this ty
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    rustyd7 wrote: »
    So... this is what's been happening:
    There is one thing I have done to get me in until the next time I start the computer: delete a pigg/hogg file and then let it patch and I get in, but frankly I don't want to have to do this EVERY TIME I TRY TO PLAY STO.
    Sounds like something is interfering with the download/update/access of the STO files...

Have you tried...

Excluding the STO installation directories from your Anti-Virus utility?

Running the STO launcher in 'Administrative' mode?
  • Options
    stangluver77stangluver77 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Sounds like something is interfering with the download/update/access of the STO files...

Have you tried...

Excluding the STO installation directories from your Anti-Virus utility?

Running the STO launcher in 'Administrative' mode?

I have restored and reinstalled everything i can think of. just cant make heads or tails with this
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Hey guys thx for all your replies.
    I have tried all the things suggested EXCEPT the system restore which I will try.
    P.S. stangluver77, no offense but 1. He was talking to me and 2 don't you have your own thread or something?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Ok, so I tried the System Restore - to absolutely no avail. I am still having the same problems, only they seem to be worse. I am at the point of breaking something and am sending out a distress signal, to anyone who can help PLEASE DO SO SOON BEFORE I DO SOMETHING ILLOGICAL! Regards, Rusty...
  • Options
    intrepidukintrepiduk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I have the same problem, I get intermittent crashing either upon startup or during game play. Sometimes it will be a total crash to desktop with no warning, other times the game will totally freeze causing me to use takmanager to close the game client. This has been happening with more and more frequency ever since the season 6 patch.

I worked as a computer engineer for a long time and I have built my PC myself, I can verify that there is nothing wrong with my hardware. I can verify that there are no issues with my internet connection or my ISP. I have played other games both offline and online and they work perfectly.

I have uninstalled current drivers and tried STO with previous versions, even chipset drivers and the problem still exists.

Here is an example of a typical event viewer event log entry when the game crashes like this:

System

- Provider

[ Name] Application Error

- EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2012-09-23T12:26:34.000000000Z

EventRecordID 32296

Channel Application

Computer XXXXXXXX-XX

Security

- EventData

GameClient.exe
    505a305e
    nvd3dum.dll
    4fb20472
    c0000005
    001152e6
    f60
    01cd9986907d218c
    C:\Games\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online\Live\GameClient.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\nvd3dum.dll
    e912ecdc-0579-11e2-bf21-ccce79af14ea

Something is wrong with the game, either some patch files or the way it interacts with the drivers on the PC. I have tried re-installing to no avail, I have tried system restore to the time before I even installed and played the game for the first time all with the same result.

At times I can barely get 3 minutes of game play in before it crashes and it is getting infuriating now, pease can the devs get this sorted out, thanks.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    So I've finally fixed my problem with absolutely no help from the devs and not much help from the forums, this thread is ready for the archives.
  • Options
    kumijumalakumijumala Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hi Rustyd7. I'm experiencing the same annoying problem. I haven't found out the solution. Can you tell me what you did to correct that problem? Thanks.
  • Options
    norry3norry3 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yes, please post a fix. I can't get in any PW game at the moment. Crash crash crash.
  • Options
    norry3norry3 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I found what was causing my problem is a program called DisplayFusion version 4.1. Just had to add an exception to it so it wouldn't hook the program for STO or Champions Online.
    Once I did that it was working perfect again.
    Maybe this will help someone else along the way..
  • Options
    kumijumalakumijumala Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    rustyd7 wrote: »
    So I've finally fixed my problem with absolutely no help from the devs and not much help from the forums, this thread is ready for the archives.
    norry3 wrote: »
    I found what was causing my problem is a program called DisplayFusion version 4.1. Just had to add an exception to it so it wouldn't hook the program for STO or Champions Online.
    Once I did that it was working perfect again.
    Maybe this will help someone else along the way..

Strange. I don't even have a program called that DisplayFusion... Yet this problem is something to do with my firewall and only started after few months of STO installation. Every time I disable my firewall everything works. Strange. At least now I can play and quit the program. More info on the subject would be appreciated.
  • Options
    tombmaster123tombmaster123 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I have the same problem. One cause I have determined is using alt-tab while in game. A way to fix the problem is to reinstall. Unfortunatly, I alt-tabbed playing after I reinstalled so now my game crashes again. I am currently searching for a fix that doesn't include reinstalling the game.