test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scheduled Maintenance (September 13, 2012)

Comments

• levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    tacofangs wrote: »
    No, the point is that it always happens when it affects the fewest players. If you graph out the number of players currently in the game over the course of 24 hours, you will come up with something that is roughly a sine wave. Our maintenance happens at the lowest point in that sine wave.

I think this answered is 100% right on and of course some people don't like it - but they have the data - and if the data shows that this time frame has the least amout of players - why not do it then?

Make perfect sense to me!
  • blitzsthblitzsth Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Ok, I know the Users-Online-Graph of Steam, if yours is similar, you missed the lowest point by about 2 hours (so, if your graph is similar, you should have started 2 hours earlier).

2 hours earlier wouldn't make a big difference for me, but maybe for somebody else...

I am willing to bet, that Cryptics server monitor program is better at keeping track of users online, rather than a 3rd party program.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Ok, I know the Users-Online-Graph of Steam, if yours is similar, you missed the lowest point by about 2 hours (so, if your graph is similar, you should have started 2 hours earlier).

2 hours earlier wouldn't make a big difference for me, but maybe for somebody else...
    Not everyone uses steam ;)
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• torsten1009torsten1009 Member Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    blitzsth wrote: »
    I am willing to bet, that Cryptics server monitor program is better at keeping track of users online, rather than a 3rd party program.

I just told that I know the Steam-Graph, but Steam is not "just" Star Trek Online... If you would read my post again, you could notice that I wrote "if your graph is similar to that of Steam".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If Star Trek Online was an Open-Source (GPL) Game, we would have a low-grind fork.
  • scbypwrscbypwr Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    No, the point is that it *always* happens during European prime time, and *always* neatly at 7 AM for the Americans. Would be nice if they thought about other countries for a change.

Only for west coast americans.

East coast is 10am - 12 am!

Lots of stuff not working, I was expecting a more extensive patch list.
    edited September 2012
    askray wrote: »
    Not everyone uses steam ;)

And not every Steam-User plays Star Trek Online...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If Star Trek Online was an Open-Source (GPL) Game, we would have a low-grind fork.
    edited September 2012
    And not every Steam-User plays Star Trek Online...

So what was your point in saying, they should have started 2 hours earlier?
  • getafix101getafix101 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012

no two hours later is much better
    edited September 2012

If both graphes (Steam- and STO-Users online) were similar, they would have started 2 hours too late. That is all I've said...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    If both graphes (Steam- and STO-Users online) were similar, they would have started 2 hours too late. That is all I've said...

So my original point still stands, that cryptic probably keep track better than a 3rd party program.

While they may be similar, it stands to reason. Cryptics program is more up to date and their graph is more accurate. Where as steams only update every 3 hours I believe, but don't quote me on that!
  • willlouisparrwilllouisparr Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I've been having problems with Borg Invasion alerts... Always they have empty spaces, no Borg activities. Plus there are those 2 white streaks that kept lagging me despite my high speed internet and AMD laptop with 2 graphic cards that worked fast for Eve Online and other games but not STO? Please fix this. I'm one of those zen buyers. :)
    edited September 2012
    So my original point still stands, that cryptic probably keep track better than a 3rd party program.

While they may be similar, it stands to reason. Cryptics program is more up to date and their graph is more accurate. Where as steams only update every 3 hours I believe, but don't quote me on that!

Maybe both graphes are different because of STO-Downtime (a STO-Player could start Steam the minute the Server goes down). Cryptic/Perfect World should know better how many people are logged in, I never told you I would know it better then they do.

But maybe Cryptic/Perfect World could plot a user statistics somewhere on the STO-Homepage, so that their customers could see "why they always shut the servers down during EU-prime-time". There is nothing wrong in learning from others (in this case from Steam/Valve).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • joenatljoenatl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Seriously you can set your clock by the EU complaints about the time of the maintenance. It's been like this for the life of the game. Thursday 10am-12pm EDT the server is taken offline. At this point if you still have not figured out to do something else during that time I feel bad for you.

Would I prefer another time, yes b/c Thursday AM I don't have a good amount of stuff on my plate to do and could play. Do I accept it, yes.
    edited September 2012
    I've been having problems with Borg Invasion alerts... Always they have empty spaces, no Borg activities. Plus there are those 2 white streaks that kept lagging me despite my high speed internet and AMD laptop with 2 graphic cards that worked fast for Eve Online and other games but not STO? Please fix this. I'm one of those zen buyers. :)

Being a Zen buyer, does not make your bugs jump to the head of the list. If that was the case, the 10600 zen I buy a week would put in charge of picking what bugs should get fixed.

As for the borg alerts. You just jumped in tolate, leave and re-enter a few times and you might get in a full alert.
  • resistance9resistance9 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hi Captains,

We will be bringing down Star Trek Online tomorrow, Thursday, September 13th, at 7AM PDT (click here to view in your timezone) for maintenance and to apply a new patch. Patch notes can be found here, and we expect this maintenance to only last for 2 hours.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

- The Star Trek Online Team
    Anyone else love how they say 2 or 4 hours then take 4 or 6 hours to do somthing....just tell us the real downtime and stop bsing us
    edited September 2012
    why would you spend over a hundred a week on zen for this game its not worth it
  • emperormakemperormak Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    They shouldn't need to explain why they do maintenance when they do.

They do it when it's most convenient for them.

No matter when they do it, someone will be inconvenienced.

Just be glad it's only 2 hours. A lot of games have much longer downtime.

If you want to see annoying maintenance, play WoW. Server will be scheduled to be down for 4 hours. 4 hours later, they add 2 hours to that. 2 hours later, they add another hour. An hour later, they say nothing, but the servers are still down.
  • tovalmorgantovalmorgan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hi Captains,

We will be bringing down Star Trek Online tomorrow, Thursday, September 13th, at 7AM PDT (click here to view in your timezone) for maintenance and to apply a new patch. Patch notes can be found here, and we expect this maintenance to only last for 2 hours.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

- The Star Trek Online Team

have you fixed the server INSTABILITY issues you created with your "fix" last week?
    "We are the Perfect World. Life as you know it is over. We will add your monetary distinctiveness to our own. Your player base will adapt to service us. Resistance is Futile."
  • sgoneillsgoneill Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Server maintenance might have unexpected issues along the way so it might take longer than what the downtime was stated. Still, a post updating the status wouldn't hurt.
    edited September 2012
    Anyone else love how they say 2 or 4 hours then take 4 or 6 hours to do somthing....just tell us the real downtime and stop bsing us

Actually server down time was shorter last week - and last time I remember it going past the stated time was the release of S6.
    edited September 2012
    Fleet event? why so u can have people jon u for a que? what the point there are no events no surprises no anything worth while to make a ''event for'' just hit the fleet alret que and be happy its not like there are epic raids or vast adventures u need a fleet to do in this game so why bother... how about fix somthing real like the stupid bright white lights that lag the game out or mabe eject warp lag for the newbs who keep useing it on a cube...or mabe just mabe make the fleet weapons worth buying...or heres another one add some fing content to the game somthing to do other than stf grind or fleet alrets that actualy progesses ur toon.
    edited September 2012
    ^---- miss quote of the day
  • darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited September 2012
    No, it is not paying. I keep very close track of how much I have before and after the event. Some sectors pay, some don't.

I know Eta Eridani, Pelia and Orellious pay. Sirius, all of Romulan space, Pi Canis, Regulus DO NOT pay. (That's all I can remember off the top of my head)

Hmmm I cannot remember which sectors pay and which do not. All I know is that completing one run through all sectors nets me 350k ec.

Check next time you do it and if that is not the case, your only recourse is to make a support ticket. Just be prepared to wait a few weeks to get any answer out of them, if at all... :(
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You know I might actually try other cryptic games out if it wasn't always down at the same exact time as STO.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • jadonovanjadonovan Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I don't know why I'm saying this, because many people do yet the unwarranted complaints still fly, but we all should be grateful that downtime is scheduled and predictable. It used to be HORRIBLE!

Everyone remember when we called it "Star Trek Offline" ?

Yes, sometimes it goes over 2 hours, but when was the last time it was over 3? I can't remember for quite a while back that it ever went to 3 hours. So suck it up, or don't pay for it anymore.
    edited September 2012
    Patching.............243MB
    edited September 2012
    Patching.............243MB

Almost no download, if you've patched to the latest Tribble-Version... Yes, it is the same version-number (build)...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jadonovanjadonovan Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Is it up?

(I know, I know, that's what s/he said...)
    edited September 2012
    Almost no download, if you've patched to the latest Tribble-Version... Yes, it is the same version-number (build)...

Have yet to get on tribble, but then I have no real interest in seeing things early.
    edited September 2012
    jadonovan wrote: »
    Is it up?

(I know, I know, that's what s/he said...)

Bowchicawowwow.

and no still red.
This discussion has been closed.