test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Working copy of the August 30 Launcher.

ga1enga1en Member Posts: 1 Arc User
Hi there. I've seen a lot of people having problems launching the game due to a Cryptic Autoupdater problem with the launcher.

I have removed the links to this download as there is a new thread that will always have the latest version instead. please go to here.
Post edited by ga1en on

Comments

• Options
    dirtyfernadezdirtyfernadez Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    thx bro, but cant download the file, can you try another hoster pls
    thx

ps: i have now a account on mediafire but cantsee ani zip files on your link
    pps: dont work for my little box
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    oops hold on. I'll go fix the links. wait one.

OK Try it now.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    i have 2 pc in my network. both have the problem since yesterday, the new file wont work for my problem i tryed on both systems
  • Options
    boneidolboneidol Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    thank you my man!!! this worked for me!! i signed up with the site, swapped the launchers and changed IP address and away we(i) go *happy dance*
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    changed ip adress?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    @dirtyfernandez I'm not sure if this will work but try renaming the .patch directory in the Star Trek Online/Live directory to somthing else like "old .patch".

That directory contains all the patch data for the launcher. removing it worked on some people, but i prefer to rename so i can easily restore things back to before i was fooling around.
  • Options
    boneidolboneidol Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    changed ip adress?

i left my router turned off for around 3 hours untill i was assigned a new IP address
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    ga1en wrote: »
    @dirtyfernandez I'm not sure if this will work but try renaming the .patch directory in the Star Trek Online/Live directory to somthing else like "old .patch".

That directory contains all the patch data for the launcher. removing it worked on some people, but i prefer to rename so i can easily restore things back to before i was fooling around.

wont work withe the updater but the i can start the GameClient.exe now. i attempt to login and he try to connect to the accserver after a a few sec he says me he cant connect to the acc server.

should i try your GameClient exe?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    The gameclient is tied to the launcher. If the launcher can't patch, the gameclient can't see the account server either.

I'll check online to see how to change IP adress easily and post the results of the search here. The culprit may be the IP adress itself and Cryptic is blocking certain IP adresses.

update:

Ok the easiest way to change your IP is to turn off your modem and router for around 5-10 minutes.

To check if your IP changed go to What is my IP.

Turn off the modem and router if any. Wait 5-10 minutes and turn it back on.

Check the site again to see if your IP changed. If not try it again as sometimes you get the same IP address.

If it changed try STO and see if that updated.

The other thing to try is to turn off your modem and routers for around 8 hours then turn them on again and check to see it the IP changed.

Note that the modem and router must be turned off as in no power to the items. Simply flicking the on/off switch works for most modems but routers usually have to be unplugged. There should be no lights showing on both items.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    i also tryed to connect via my iphone (not the same ip and proveider) it also wont work for me:(

WTF have worked now!!! try to connect with your Iphone and use the new lucher here!!! worked!!

ps: Worked only over my mobile provider. im lucky i have a data flat;-)
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Congrats dude. Have Fun.
  • Options
    strokeofluckstrokeofluck Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    After being out several days and using several launchers, after downloading the newest version and trying unsuccessfully for at least 8 hours yesterday, I woke up today to find that I still couldn't log on. Until I used this launcher. Clicked the icon and went right to the login screen. >,>

Having said that, despite downloading the latest install of the game, I have another 718mb DL to go from the patch screen. So I'm not actually there yet, but I'm further than I was. Not getting my hopes up though.

I have access to the Options menu now. Does anyone recommend that I change any of the settings while I still have the chance? The only things selected currently are Fullscreen and Show tray icon, and of course English language with an American flag (That's right England we have officially conquered your namesake language).

Thanks for the DL~
  • Options
    lobsterhands19lobsterhands19 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Downloaded the exe file and everything just worked perfectly, thanks very much ga1en. :D
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    You're welcome.

Until Cryptic and Perfect World shows that this particular bug has been conquered, I'll be uploading the launcher every time there is an update and I've updated and verified that my launcher actually works.
  • Options
    mistrz7losos1mistrz7losos1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Oh bro, i love you. Works perfectly :D
    I've swapped the launcher and changed '.patch' folder's name
  • Options
    stevehalestevehale Member Posts: 437
    edited August 2012
    I had to ask for help in the PvP forum of all places where someone was kind enough to provide me with the new 9.2MB Launcher. Worked like a charm. That being said, because I had success from a another thread I haven't been able to test yours but it sounds like it should work. I appreciate you and your friend sharing it.

It's a shame Cryptic isn't supporting their own product nearly as well as members of the community.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I actually understand where Cryptic and Perfect World is coming from. They really cannot afford to "own up" to problems as it would open them up to liability attacks. Even when the problem is something as obvious as this.

In a large and complex program such as STO, finding the root cause of the problem is incredibly difficult as the cause may not be a single item but is usually a result of several small sections of the program interacting in a manner that was never anticipated and likely noticably.

The fact that the problem is intermittent and sometimes corrects itself makes everything even harder.

Still this is a workaround that works most of the time so we can enjoy the game, relegating this problem from a game breaking and frustrating experience to a minor irritant and nuisance.

If I understood Branflakes correctly PWE and Cryptic are aware of the problem. They just obviously haven't gotten a handle on it's cause yet.

Until they fix this problem I'll just keep updating and uploading the launcher.

As a safety feature, make a copy of the current updated launcher and .patch and label them Aug 30 so if a future patch corrupts the launcher, you can restore the fixed launcher and .patch.
  • Options
    shad0w317shad0w317 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    swapped the launchers, works fine. Cheers ga1en
  • Options
    thinkhouthinkhou Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Swapped out the launchers. Up and running again. Thanks much!
  • Options
    brackynewsbrackynews Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yep, helping a fleetie tonight and this was the final piece of the puzzle.
    For the record, this same issue occurred with the Cryptic website installer, AND the Steam installer.

And just to be safe we opened the TCP port range 7000-7500. That should cover all the patch and client ports.

Thanks very much!

Never send one engineer to fix a problem when you can send six. :rolleyes::D
    =/\= Transwarp 10.0 Victory Achieved on 26-July-2012, Six Months After F2P =/\=
  • Options
    miloguymiloguy Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    well i tried to use ga1en's approce , no luck for me on my pc

and i think after 10 minutes with the modem/router off my ip addy was changed
    but still no change

last resort is downloading from this site again

thanks all for suggestions but im lost my laptop can play it but my pc cant?

been thru all my settings, everything... :(
  • Options
    kucingkakuhkucingkakuh Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    work like a charm!!!! thank you very much, been searching for 2 days for working copies of the launcher.
  • Options
    stevehalestevehale Member Posts: 437
    edited September 2012
    I'm skeptical of the wisdom behind any company who sends their customer through the motions either through form letter technical support (turn this off, reset that, reinstall these, call your ISP since the problem couldn't possibly be on our end) or outright neglect. That being said, I don't suppose skepticism is going to change a company that has seen this long standing problem across at least four of their other products.

Most importantly, whatever their problems, it really is nice to see users supporting one another. So thank you, and any of the others, willing to step up and help out when you can see a fix and prevent unnecessary frustration. It's a very literal twist on "customer service". Hell, as long as it works... :cool:
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thank you so much for putting this up. It got me back into the game after 3 days locked out.
    Until Cryptic and Perfect World shows that this particular bug has been conquered, I'll be uploading the launcher every time there is an update and I've updated and verified that my launcher actually works.

Honestly, with as many of us that have the issue where the Launcher won't autoupdate, PWE might be well-advised to put the latest version of the Launcher up on the website whenever they change it so that we can just get it manually. Put a sticky up in this forum subsection with the link to the latest Launcher on the website and save everyone the hassle.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    jimmylee19780209jimmylee19780209 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    thank for the advice, It worked. this is my second times experieance this problem already.:)
  • Options
    willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Replaced my old launcher with this one and it works. Thank you very much
  • Options
    trekie564trekie564 Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hi there. I've seen a lot of people having problems launching the game due to a Cryptic Autoupdater problem with the launcher.

Downloading a friend's launcher worked to fix my problem. Hopefully this will also fix yours.

Updated Star Trek Launcher as of August 30 in 7zip format. 2mb

Updated Star Trek Launcher as of August 30 actual file. 9mb

Simply download either the 2mb 7zip file and extract to your ST Online directory or download the 9 mb uncompressed file and copy to your ST Online directory.

If you don't know where the directory is but use a desktop shortcut, right click on the shortcut and select "open file location" to go to the directory.

Hopefully this will fix your autoupdate problem.

Note that this will probably work only on those people who are getting the tiny update box on the upper left of the screen that says "Trying to update the launcher. Try 1"

Another thing you can try is renaming the .patch directory in the Star Trek Online/Live directory to something else like "old .patch".

That directory contains all the patch data for the launcher. Removing it worked for some people, but i prefer to rename so i can easily restore things back to before i was fooling around.

One last thing you can do is change your IP if you are using a dynamic IP.

The easiest way to change your IP is to turn off your modem and router for around 5-10 minutes.

To check if your IP changed first go to the website What is my IP.

Then turn off the modem and router if any.
    Note that the modem and router must be turned off as in no power to the items. Simply flicking the on/off switch works for most modems but routers usually have to be unplugged. There should be no lights showing on both items.

Wait 5-10 minutes and turn everything back on.

Then check the site again to see if your IP changed. If not try it again as sometimes you get the same IP address.

If it changed try STO and see if it can update.

If this fails, the other thing to try is to turn off your modem and routers for around 8 hours then turn them on again and check to see it the IP changed.

If you do download the files, please post to say if it worked or not. I'd like to know.

Final note: If this works, make a new folder called Aug 30 launcher and copy both the launcher and the .patch directory into it. This way if the problem hits you again you can easily do the workaround again.

In the past week I had this problem hit me three times. The first 2 times it fixed itself after trying to run the game a few times. The third time I lost a day and had to go onto the net and the forums to gather data to resolve my problem. This is the result.

If anyone else had the Autoupdate problem and were able to resolve it please drop a post as I'd like to see if we can consolidate all the potential workarounds into a single post so people won't have to keep making new threads on the same issue.

Thanks in advance.
    did...not...WORK. SHOOT ME!!!!!!
    this is not a flame, if you consider it a flame, i apologize. it is not meant as such.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    LLAP, everyone.
  • Options
    lenyouiiiilenyouiiii Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Me too. Change my ip with VPN or tray in a friend same things. Change the launcher doesn't work--'
    any other idea ?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    try my latest launcher here,

Conversely try renaming the .patch folder in the /Star Trek Online/live directory. That may force the launcher to update.