test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Raptr promotion: Bridge Officer Bundle

Comments

• direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    caliban149 wrote: »
    Ok, signed up and linked to Steam account. . . Elite immediately!

Edit: Managed to link FB

No rewards however. . . I supposed I need to D/L the app do I?

This was in the OP, and on any of the promotion pages I linked to.

The promotion doesn't start until 9/04/2012. So even if you are ranked as a "newbie" you have time to log some hours to get "experienced". And yes, you need to d/l the app for it to know when you're playing games on the PC (at least for non-Steam PC games... It *may* detect Steam games w/o the app by tracking your Steam account {I'm not sure, I dont work for Raptr and you'd probably find better help on Raptr's forums}, but see my last post with issues with this game and Steam that seem inconsistent with Champions Online and tracking)

For those of you claiming that Raptr isn't tracking your STO hours, make sure Raptr has the game detected from the right directory. If not, you may have to manually add it.

I'm going to uninstall/reinstall my copy of Raptr b/c I definitely don't remember having any issues with it auto-installing in its own directory instead of allowing you to set a custom directory (it's not as if it takes long or is a big deal to set up).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • caliban149caliban149 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, seen the live date now.

Got confused by the posts saying they'd already qualified for them etc . . .

But when they do go live, question stands: How do you claim them? Do you need the desktop app?
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited August 2012

But when they do go live, question stands: How do you claim them? Do you need the desktop app?

Probably via the C-Store. They probably trigger a pre-order bonus-style unlock.
    edited August 2012

You can go to the 'rewards' link on your Raptr homepage's sidebar and see all the rewards available, as well as the ones you're qualified for. (you don't need the app)

If/when you qualify for rewards you'll click the button on the right of the specific reward as indicated (I believe otherwise the button just says "Check your reward" and it tells you what requirements haven't been met yet).

When claiming rewards, it usually gives codes out. For Xbox games, you'd apply these codes on Xbox LIVE's "claim codes" page, for PSN games you'd put the codes in the PSN store area, for most PC games, there's a link to the page where you'd input the codes. This is the first Raptr reward for STO I've seen, but I imagine it takes you to the STO account page where you can input codes there.

Also there's a big table on the download page that describes what you can and can't do with the app over what you can do with just the web page (and no app)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm sorry... As a casual STO player who might rarely launch Champs or CoH, I'm not seeing the point of this.

What can I do with this that I can't already do with STO, aside from knowing when my gamer friends are online playing some other game?

I'm definitely NOT hooking up and giving out my personal data just for a one-time loot grab and getting pestered with emails till the end of time.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
    edited August 2012
    It doesn't seem to be tracking my STO time played.
    It tracked some Champs time played when I hopped over there for a little bit, but nothing for STO....

Alright, Raptr does install to the "C:\Program Files (x86)" directory (on 64-bit Windows systems) by default now without option to change. I didn't notice when I rebuilt my computer in July and was re-installing several dozen things at the same time. However, there is a reason:
    The raptr client only installs to a default location. In the days before we had in-game overlay it was much more possible to install the client to an alternate directory, but it's not that simple anymore. There are certain files that have to reside inside the Program Files(x86) folder and if they do not, things will not work and detect properly.

On top of the tiles located inside Program Files (X86) there's also all the log, configurations, downloads, and screenshots stored in your user folder inside %appdata%/raptr. I can track down a list of all the mandatory files that have to stay on the C: drive if you really want to attempt to relocate raptr to another drive.

and if you really, really, REALLY want to, you can change the directory (or at least most of the files, some files will need to stay in the default location) from C:\Program Files (x86)... but I don't recommend it, as it would be very easy to completely hose the way your machine works.
    Okay update:
    "This is required to get elevation to avoid prompting for game detections for elevated games without requiring UAC prompts that annoy most users."
    So, basically we're looking at it as we have to default it to there.
    HOWEVER.
    please
    Close Raptr
    Then goto
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Raptr
    or
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Raptr for older version of windows
    Change the value of Install_Dir
    To where ever it is you want.
    The %appdata%\Raptr will still exist on your C drive, but unless you want to change how %appdata% functions for your entire computer (I can show you how), just let it be.

You should then be able to drag the Raptr install folder to the location you specified in Install_Dir
    You will be receiving the pop-up everytime you run Raptr (that annoying windows thing that says, you are trying to run this as an admin Are you sure?)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
    edited August 2012
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I'm sorry... As a casual STO player who might rarely launch Champs or CoH, I'm not seeing the point of this.

What can I do with this that I can't already do with STO, aside from knowing when my gamer friends are online playing some other game?

I'm definitely NOT hooking up and giving out my personal data just for a one-time loot grab and getting pestered with emails till the end of time.

As a community moderator, I'm a little surprised that you made a post like this.

This isn't anything much different than Xfire or Steam, except for the fact that Raptr also gives out free stuff or discounts tailored to the games you play on top of the social stuff.

If you don't play a lot of games or don't want to interact with many friends and/or gamers or otherwise participate in a community of gamers (another odd behavior for a community mod in a game forum), then this is not for you, and that's perfectly fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You had to reinstall the whole game just for Raptr to start tracking time?! :eek:
    frankly, sounds like too much work....

ya it was the longest part was downloading the main game file again but after that it was very fast was up and playing again with in 30 min's
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited August 2012

It's quite a nice system if you play multiple games/platforms. I guess it's simplest to describe it as a cross platform achievement system, a social networking of sorts. I've been using it for sometime and it's fun. If you're only playing STO/CO then yeah, I can understand the perspective, if you play other things - give it a try :) It's not the devil I promise :)
  • woerligenwoerligen Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Is this promo also available for people who are not at F-book? This kraken seems to have its appendages everywhere.
    Leipzig University, 1409-2409
  • darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Ok, last night, since Raptr wasn't showing my STO time played, I tryed the "Track gametime manually, which didn't do anything.
    Then this morning when I logged into Raptr, it showed the time I manually input, presumeably, so i thought it was working.
    So I logged into STO thru the Raptr->Launch->Star Trek Online option on the Raptr page. Played a couple hours, getting the newly repaired Fleet doffs into their proper places, then exited game.
    BUT the gametime that raptr says my last play session was <1 hour... 3 hours = <1 hour to Raptr? or does it just take a while to get it registered?
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Ok, last night, since Raptr wasn't showing my STO time played, I tryed the "Track gametime manually, which didn't do anything.
    Then this morning when I logged into Raptr, it showed the time I manually input, presumeably, so i thought it was working.
    So I logged into STO thru the Raptr->Launch->Star Trek Online option on the Raptr page. Played a couple hours, getting the newly repaired Fleet doffs into their proper places, then exited game.
    BUT the gametime that raptr says my last play session was <1 hour... 3 hours = <1 hour to Raptr? or does it just take a while to get it registered?

doing it manually will only add the time say you set it to 3 hours of game play only after the 3 hours are up or i think you can maybe log out of raptr log back it will add it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    For people having problems - try adding the game manually to your list (even if it's already there) by selecting its install directory. I need to do it every time I launch the bloody app, but this is the only way for it to track the STO game time properly.

I just hope it'll be worth it and the Mugato won't be a single item unlock (one per account...) like other recent promotional items... This raptr app is awful and I'm removing it the moment I get the reward...
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • zebularzebular Member Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Looks like it is over already, the page says the bundle reward is Expired...

*sighs*
    Full Name: Zeryn Zebulon Zebular 
    Short Name: Zebular ( @zebular )
    Starfleet Rank / Serial: Vice Admiral, Field Captain / SZ-872-112
    Fleet Registry / Command Ship: Fleet Admiral of the Betazed Patrol / U.S.S. Zebulon, NX-91333-C
    Diplomatic Registry: Starfleet Ambassador, Betazed Ambassador, Son of the Thirteenth House of Betazed
    Species / Birth Date / Birth Place: Half-Betazoid, Half-Human / Stardate 27481.22 / Rixx City, Betazed

Handles: @zebular (PC)@MtnDewFreak (XBOX)@Terraseer (PS4)
    edited August 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    Looks like it is over already, the page says the bundle reward is Expired...

*sighs*
    They've renamed the "Bridge Officer Bundle" as the "Holodeck Bundle" (probably because there are no Bridge Officers involved with this bundle).

Both the Holodeck Bundle and Captain's Critter promotions start on 9/4/2012
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
    edited August 2012
    They've renamed the "Bridge Officer Bundle" as the "Holodeck Bundle" (probably because there are no Bridge Officers involved with this bundle).

Both the Holodeck Bundle and Captain's Critter promotions start on 9/4/2012

Thank you so much for the update! I just started using Raptr again just for this. Wish there was a way to import our STO playtime into Raptr... I haven't used Raptr for a long time. Guess I'll just let the client sit on my 2nd pc running with raptr all day and while I sleep.
    Fleet Registry / Command Ship: Fleet Admiral of the Betazed Patrol / U.S.S. Zebulon, NX-91333-C
    Diplomatic Registry: Starfleet Ambassador, Betazed Ambassador, Son of the Thirteenth House of Betazed
    Species / Birth Date / Birth Place: Half-Betazoid, Half-Human / Stardate 27481.22 / Rixx City, Betazed

• kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hey guys, I just found this thread. Should I start doing this raptr thing now? Or wait for an official word from cryptic?
    edited August 2012
    kingdoxy wrote: »
    Hey guys, I just found this thread. Should I start doing this raptr thing now? Or wait for an official word from cryptic?

For the 2nd one, the companion one, you'll need some hours logged in STO with Raptr running in order to qualify. The first one you just need to be a Newbie, which is no more than a minute of logged game time. Both also require that you have your Facebook account connected to your Raptr account.

So, if I were you, I'd go and start Raptr now and get it worked up to get to "Experienced" to qualify for the critters one. I'm just letting my 2nd pc sit with the STO client at the login (not the launcher) with Raptr running to get some hours logged into it while I mess around, do RL stuff and play Forsaken World & STO on my main PC.

• syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Raptr hasn't sent me very many emails, and you can fine-tune what they send you emails for, down to the point where you're not going to hear from them unless your password is compromised or their terms of service change or something.

The short answer to what it does, besides tracking your friends in other games (even if they're on Steam, Xfire, Windows Live, Xbox Live, Playstation Network, or others), is it keeps score. Gamers like keeping score. :)
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
    edited August 2012

syberghost wrote: »
    Raptr hasn't sent me very many emails, and you can fine-tune what they send you emails for, down to the point where you're not going to hear from them unless your password is compromised or their terms of service change or something.

The short answer to what it does, besides tracking your friends in other games (even if they're on Steam, Xfire, Windows Live, Xbox Live, Playstation Network, or others), is it keeps score. Gamers like keeping score. :)

Indeed, as Syberghost said. I have been a member of Raptr since they were brand new. The only email I have ever gotten from them was when I originally signed up. I even checked my gmail account I have registered with it. One email in 4 years is not bad in my opinion.

Of course, as Syberghost also pointed out, I had all my settings set to not email me and opted out of newsletters and such things. I haven't used the program in a couple years until I read about these promotions. I just now enabled three of their email features, one for newsletters, when someone follows me, and lastly to notify me when someone friends me.

As well, I have several "main" email accounts through Gmail and dozens more on the domain I own. One Gmail I use exclusively for official game sign ups to reputable MMO games only. Then I have another Gmail that is used publicly for community things, like Raptr and Twitter as well as to sign up for things that I know I'll probably end up getting spam from. Then I have a third Gmail that is used in non-major MMOs that I don't fully trust or know to well or for new games that I am "trying." I then have three more through Gmail for other things, such as games that only allow one email per account. Yeah, I've been around the internet since the early 90's, so I have learned the boons of having many email accounts.

The glorious thing about Gmail are their spam filters, they are wonderful! On top of that, you have an arsenal of options to further filter for spam IF stuff gets past Gmails spam filters.

Additionally, after having not used Raptr for a couple years and just now using it again, I really like how it has evolved and been updated. Seems a lot better and a lot more privacy settings. It also doesn't seem to be very taxing on my systems, at all. My second machine runs EVERY game like TRIBBLE... yet I still don't notice it running in the background on that PC or my main beast of a Desktop either.

• bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for the info... I'll think about it. I appreciate knowing you can opt out of drinking from the firehose.

How well does it integrate with STO? What kinds of stats can you get from it?
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for the info... I'll think about it. I appreciate knowing you can opt out of drinking from the firehose.

How well does it integrate with STO? What kinds of stats can you get from it?

From STO, currently only hours played (same with Steam). Both Steam and Raptr can detect CO's achievements, but for some reason STO's accolades have never worked with tracking (on either Steam or Raptr).

The chat overlay works with STO and includes a web browser (I believe the default hotkey is Ctrl-Tab), although I hardly ever use it since I play on multiple monitors and always have the Raptr app friendslist window open on the other monitor and use that when chatting with people in other games.

You can take and post screenshots to Raptr with PageUp-S (by default), which you can then post on your Raptr profile, or post to facebook (if you have that connected), or tweet it out (if you have twitter connected).

are those what you were looking for in terms of integration?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    Thank you so much for the update! I just started using Raptr again just for this. Wish there was a way to import our STO playtime into Raptr... I haven't used Raptr for a long time. Guess I'll just let the client sit on my 2nd pc running with raptr all day and while I sleep.

You don't need to leave your pc and game running. Just play for 4 hours to get the "Experienced" rank. I've just started with Raptr and already have 2 hours logged. According to the hover-over-pop-up, I only need 2 more hours for "Experienced".

I'll post again here in a couple of hours and let ya know if it works that way, just in case it's a misprint or something! ;)
    edited August 2012
    Okay I just confirmed it for myself... Only 4 Hours Total STO Playtime is required for the "Experienced" Rank! The Proof -: http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/7482/raptrexp2.jpg
    edited August 2012
    Okay I just confirmed it for myself... Only 4 Hours Total STO Playtime is required for the "Experienced" Rank! The Proof -: http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/7482/raptrexp2.jpg

Yup. and I'd recommend downloading Raptr for Foundry authors because it's a way to rack up a few rewards for time spent authoring.

All that said, Raptr may reset everyone's progress when the tracking goes live as they try to avoid anyone having an advantage when they start tracking. So be ready.
    edited August 2012
    Raptr may reset everyone's progress when the tracking goes live as they try to avoid anyone having an advantage when they start tracking. So be ready.

Thanks for the Heads-Up on that! I spend an obscene amount of time on STO these days anyway so it doesn't really matter to me! lol.

But yea... It's definitely something that others may need to know and keep in mind from when this promotion kicks off! ;)
  • darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Yup. and I'd recommend downloading Raptr for Foundry authors because it's a way to rack up a few rewards for time spent authoring.

All that said, Raptr may reset everyone's progress when the tracking goes live as they try to avoid anyone having an advantage when they start tracking. So be ready.

Really? That seems horribly unfair to the STO players that used Raptr long before these promos were introduced. :(
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    We'll be releasing more information about this "soon" :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Fixed that for you... :-P

Edit: Awwwwww... The forum doesn't like Unicode :(
    edited August 2012
    Really? That seems horribly unfair to the STO players that used Raptr long before these promos were introduced. :(

Well, they weight things for new games to keep early adopters from dominating the ranking... as it's NOT a flat amount of time to get rewards. It's based on your percentile of use.

Near as I can figure: they do market research with the data they collect. And they pay the publisher cash (or supply research) for each reward they give out. So they want to limit the cash they give out and do that by ensuring there's a cap on how much stuff they're paying publishers for. So you have to be in the top X% of respondents and when they do new tracking, they have a hard estimated cap. They could conceivably give every user 50 cents or whatever but that wouldn't drive up recruiting. So what they do is, say, give the top 25% of participants $2.50 worth of stuff. And, ideally, they get a publisher to kick in MORE THAN $2.50 worth of stuff under the rationale that the wholesale price of virtual items is lower, it creates goodwill with the community, it helps publicize the game, and maybe they share some data with the publisher on industry stats. So with that factored in, they get Cryptic or whoever to kick in maybe $10 worth of stuff in exchange for Raptr paying them $2.50 per top tier user. And so much the better if it's a reskinned pet or something actually "unique" in some way.

If that's NOT their business model then, man, have I got a business model worth exploring.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited August 2012

I've never even seen a rumor they'd do that before his post, much less confirmation, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Even if they did, the promo runs for three months. You have to play 4 whole hours during that time. :)
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
This discussion has been closed.