test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Elevated trans-Al walkway in FED Fleet Starbase has no sidewall barrier

sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
edited October 2012 in The Art of Star Trek Online
I would like to report a Occupational Health and Safety issue regarding Fleet Starbases...to the Cryptic Art team :)

In the Ops level of the FED Fleet Starbase, there is a large curved piece of transparent aluminium arching over the doorway to the Officer of the Watch's room. This doubles as a bridge-like wallkway between the bar/lounge and an elevated platform.

However, the outer side of the walkway does not have a side barrier, so people can simply walk off it and fall right back down on to the main floor of the Ops level.

Whilst players don't actually take any damage this way, it just seems comical that, with all the gimmicky SB special projects the devs devise, there isn't a protective barrier along the outside of the walkway over the door to the OotW room.

Thoughts?
Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2012
    A friend of mine, who was a concept artist on CoH/V back in the day, and actually left to work on STO at Perpetual gets super angry at the lack of handrails and other common sense safety lackings in future cities etc. displayed in movies, games, tv and anime. We used to watch anime together regularly with a group from Cryptic, and we had to stop watching one series because of the lack of railings.

True Story.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Redacted - posted in the wrong thread (damn multiple tabs):eek::D
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    rikevrikev Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The fed prison is worse. An electric energy bridge with no railings over a giant pit. Federation H&S doesn't exist!
    Hi, my name is Nigel. I'm your group's healer.
  • Options
    ofdpt23p13ofdpt23p13 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The answer is simple on no hand rails. The execs are worried that everybody would be "leaning" all day long.

Family Guy: Blue Harvest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bSZXucTH4A
  • Options
    smazazelsmazazel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    shush now the devs are going to make a featured project starbase safety officer for 500,000 dilithium.
  • Options
    valiant797valiant797 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    New project: Safety first

Any exposed ramp or elevated walkway on your starbase will now have handrails. All consoles will have padding around the outside to prevent bruising. And most importantly, all seats will have seat belts.

Additionally, anyone beaming onto the station will recieve a new EVA suit known simply as "Padded," which all station personnel are required to wear at all times. Any resemblance to the Michelin Man is purely coincidental.
    <signature under reconstruction>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want cheap commodities? Yeah you do. Commodity Cheat Sheet (includes food and data samples)

Want to make the game better? Might I suggest this form
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    valiant797 wrote: »
    Additionally, anyone beaming onto the station will recieve a new EVA suit known simply as "Padded," which all station personnel are required to wear at all times. Any resemblance to the Michelin Man is purely coincidental.

Maybe Sta-Puft Marshmellow Man could be a C-Store skin for it. :)
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Now, everyone take out a safety pencil and a circle of paper. . .
  • Options
    brenatevibrenatevi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    And yet the Klingon Starbase has an abundance of handrails, even in places where it doesn't make sense...
  • Options
    glykenglyken Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    rikev wrote: »
    The fed prison is worse. An electric energy bridge with no railings over a giant pit. Federation H&S doesn't exist!

Be fair- that's a prison staffed by holograms...

On a more serious note- the section the bridge leads to just screams "featured project" to me.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    brenatevi wrote: »
    And yet the Klingon Starbase has an abundance of handrails, even in places where it doesn't make sense...

Because you never know when you'll have to bash someone's skull into a railing.
  • Options
    alchemistidalchemistid Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    brenatevi wrote: »

RAILING KILL!

The lack of guardrails doesn't surprise me. Starfleet has a well known and documented dislike of OSHA regulations. A glass floor in engineering? Sure, why not!
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I don't think I would want rails. It's fun to kick tribbles for distance off of it that conveniently spawn right on top. (Now it is an animal rights issue as well as a safety issue. :))
  • Options
    jafobss1701jafobss1701 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Maybe in the Futire people pay Atention to where there walking and Not txting!
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Maybe in the Futire people pay Atention to where there walking and Not txting!

Not having pockets DOES have benefits!

While were at it, I know it's clear metal, and I'm not scared of hights, but I still can shake the feeling I'm standing on scary looking glass while I'm on that very bridge. :eek:
    robdmc wrote: »
    I don't think I would want rails. It's fun to kick tribbles for distance off of it that conveniently spawn right on top. (Now it is an animal rights issue as well as a safety issue. :))

Doesn't mean we can't have holes in the bottom! :D
    tacofangs wrote: »
    A friend of mine, who was a concept artist on CoH/V back in the day, and actually left to work on STO at Perpetual gets super angry at the lack of handrails and other common sense safety lackings in future cities etc. displayed in movies, games, tv and anime. We used to watch anime together regularly with a group from Cryptic, and we had to stop watching one series because of the lack of railings.

True Story.

What series was it? :confused:
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Ergo Proxy
  • Options
    redshirtjohnson#9017 redshirtjohnson Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    next you'll hear people say it's a sexual harassment in the workplace issues and we'll soon have a daily mission for sensitivity training and Sexual Harassment prevention training seminars. it's a game the server is called Holodeck, all the safeties are hard wired to always on.
  • Options
    amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Theres an even wors problem with the trans-al walkway to the briefing area... check the end near the circular area toward the outer edge... theres a small triangle of space where the trans-al doesnt meet the circular area... and its even worse on the underside.
    7NGGeUP.png

• Options
    dragongod17dragongod17 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Don't forget that you also can have perverts standing under the bridge waiting for short-skirted uniform wearing characters to walk across it to get upskirt screenshots.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Some bigger (2 level) Apple stores had glass stair cases to go between floors. They have since modified those stairs . . . :/
  • Options
    therealcrinostherealcrinos Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Some bigger (2 level) Apple stores had glass stair cases to go between floors. They have since modified those stairs . . . :/

You'll want to be careful admitting to any sort of inspiration courtesy of Apple.
    I hear their staff-lawyers are looking for their next target.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Don't forget that you also can have perverts standing under the bridge waiting for short-skirted uniform wearing characters to walk across it to get upskirt screenshots.

A mall close to where I live had clear glass walkways around the upper floors... they're still glass...

They just aren't clear anymore. :D
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Wanna talk about safety issues? Let's talk Andoria. Tacofangs, I'm not sure if you and the other guys are aware of this (I hope you are... you make the game after all) but the big jagged rocks there can be climbed and I happened to discover 'The Void' underneath Andoria. I also found out you can't kill yourself by falling, even if it's for 5+ seconds. ;)

And the starbase walkway, well i always found that silly. I mean come on, they put a seat belt on the Enterprise-B's captain's chair, but no handrails here...
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Any news on a potential "fix?"
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    jnohdjnohd Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Re: Anime and handrails -

Been to Japan?

Spent 2 weeks noticing things there that would have been illegal in the US, like a distinct lack of hand rails on foot bridges rising 4 or so feet over a shallow Koi pond at one particular Temple. And yet busloads of tourists were walking along it - many of them bemoaning the lack of handrails. Just before the bridge, a guide repeated: please turn around and go the long way around the pond if you feel you cannot safely be on the bridge.

I asked my guide later about this, and the answer I got in short was: In Japan, if you're stupid enough to walk someplace you don't think you can proceed safely, and another path is offered - that's your own damn fault.

Had that serene pond been in the US, the beauty of that bridge over the water would have been destroyed by 4' rails, or made inaccessible to guests, thanks to trial law making it the owner's fault for not stopping a clumsy baby boomer from saying "this is too dangerous for me!" yet continuing anyway.

That all said, if you have never visited or been stationed in Japan, consider it. Spent 2 weeks chasing sakura by bullet train with a Navy friend stationed there, hopping from Nagasaki to Hiroshima to Kyoto to Fuji (Kawaguchi) to Tokyo, and while I'll still be paying that trip off, it was worth every crazy second.
    Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
    ALL HOLDINGS FINISHED! - Starbase 5-5-5-5 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
    A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
    Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    In Santa Cruz, down on the beach next to the boardwalk is the mouth of the San Lorenzo River. Running over the river, and behind the boardwalk are some train tracks, and a Trestle. That also has a small foot path over it on the side. The river under that trestle is very wide and shallow. You can wade across it in the summer.

As a kid, in the 80's, I remember a guy who had dove from the trestle into the river. Hit the bottom and broken his neck. He sued the city. They had to put up "No Diving" signs all along the foot path.
  • Options
    rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    sumghai wrote: »
    I would like to report a Occupational Health and Safety issue regarding Fleet Starbases...to the Cryptic Art team :)

In the Ops level of the FED Fleet Starbase, there is a large curved piece of transparent aluminium arching over the doorway to the Officer of the Watch's room. This doubles as a bridge-like wallkway between the bar/lounge and an elevated platform.

However, the outer side of the walkway does not have a side barrier, so people can simply walk off it and fall right back down on to the main floor of the Ops level.

Whilst players don't actually take any damage this way, it just seems comical that, with all the gimmicky SB special projects the devs devise, there isn't a protective barrier along the outside of the walkway over the door to the OotW room.

Thoughts?

Personally I find it quite handy, I use it when I'm doing the find the padd officer daily
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • Options
    khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Ergo Proxy

There's a lot more reason to drop that anime besides rails and GONZO grimdark gorn wrong...

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    In Santa Cruz, down on the beach next to the boardwalk is the mouth of the San Lorenzo River. Running over the river, and behind the boardwalk are some train tracks, and a Trestle. That also has a small foot path over it on the side. The river under that trestle is very wide and shallow. You can wade across it in the summer.

As a kid, in the 80's, I remember a guy who had dove from the trestle into the river. Hit the bottom and broken his neck. He sued the city. They had to put up "No Diving" signs all along the foot path.

Idiot, everyone knows that you always cannonball in! :P;)

Oh well, it is sad that such people are so dumb.....
  • Options
    kalanikalani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Why cant we replace all the "No Diving" signs with "No Dumb Asses" signs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]