test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mk XI and XII hand weapon fugliness

captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,630 Arc User
edited February 2014 in The Art of Star Trek Online
What's the deal with Mk XI and XII hand weapon looks?

Most lower level weapons beat them hands down in style.

Take for just two examples disruptor and plasma pistols:

The Mk VIII compression disruptor pistol is a sleak, mean looking handgun. The 'uber' versions, the Mk XI and XII, have these funky 'blades' that stick out of the bottom of the barrel which are more of a hazard to the owner than any enemy.

The plasma pistol at lower levels is also pretty sleak looking, but the 'top gear' versions have these ugly 'barrel extensions' and huge grip guard strap that make them almost as big as a rifle sitting on your hip.

It seemed like a rule of thumb that the even numbered Marks of ground weapons generally were better looking than their odd numbered (lower performance) counterparts, so is there any hope in the future that Mk XIIs will see the same treatment?

I mean really, my Lt. General is tired of getting stabbed in the leg everytime a pistol is holstered! :P
Post edited by captainhunter1 on

Comments

• unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It seemed like a rule of thumb that the even numbered Marks of ground weapons generally were better looking than their odd numbered (lower performance) counterparts, so is there any hope in the future that Mk XIIs will see the treatment?

I believe the Elite Fleet personal weapons are planned to have unique appearances, like the set weapons. That said, your problem seems to be a more general art style issue, so there's a chance you might not like those either. For the record I'm OK with most of the weapons except plasma and polaron. The plasma is too long, the polaron is too fat.

That said, I'd like it if Cryptic took an idea from a recent MMO, The Secret World. In that game vendors sell special crafting kits that allow you to destroy a weapon you own to make another weapon look like the previous one. You can even make "generic" crafted weapons look like unique weapons from a set, so long as you have both, which is great if you're going for a certain look and don't want to sacrifice stats, or just hate that your shiny new sword looks like a cricket bat with teeth in it.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Almost all weapons "better" than the standard-issue are fugly. I have a phaser standard-issue on my toons all the time to holster them.

Because, kids, better weapon means MORE SHININESS!
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I believe the Elite Fleet personal weapons are planned to have unique appearances, like the set weapons.

I had hoped that. I got myself the fleet assault phaser minigun. It looks like the XI one it replaced. It even has the same annoing holographic mumbojumbo all high end phasers share. Considering the complaints against that holostuff on them I hoped that cryptic will use at lease a low level version skin for that if not a unique one.

But noooo, someone there probably fell in love with that :mad:
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I want a Mk XII phaser rifle that looks like a Mk I phaser rifle. That's all. No glowy bits, not massively oversized, canon appearance.

Apparently that is too much to ask.
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    TOS Type 2 phaser (available in TOS bundle) Scales
    its effective
    Canon
    Stylish and does not Glow in the dark

You can get as many as you want once you buy the pack
    Live long and Prosper
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I agree, the higher tier weapons look more like super-soakers or comically oversized nerf guns. The M.A.C.O. rifle doesn't look too bad, but the bloody thing is almost as big as my poor captain! Sometimes I feel sorry for her having to lug a that meter long cannon into battle. Not to mention how silly she looks sometimes. :(
  • jeykooljeykool Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I agree with this gripe. A lot of the ground weapons in the game are really huge/ugly. Perhaps several different models of the same weapon could be created and we could just shop for the one we think looks the coolest.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If anything i think that they should be given a limited tailor option. Sure it's an mmo and people want to be able to size you up by just looking at you, but more so it's Trek, which is why aesthetics should take priority. give them tailor options like a scale bar to match it to your captains size so they're not carrying a canon (unless they want to) And let them choose between all the mark visuals of that item up until the rank equipped. That way it works for every one as well as adds a great mechanic for tailoring kits as well.

It's not like we're asking for anything like brink or ghost recon. Although being able to pick parts to add/change functions would be awesome i think most people would just prefer to roll back the look and not the power of each weapon.
  • nikoagonistesnikoagonistes Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I've advocate Full Auto and other variants for the MACO rifle due to my distate with the Mk X+ phaser rifles' look, but that never seemed to come to fruition. :(

For a while I used tetryon weapons (they're relatively streamlines even on lower levels, and while they're "alien" and "exotic" they still don't look out of place on a Starfleet officer), but wasn't too fond of their sound nor their beam/bolt color. So I decided to switch back to phasers. The ugly blue glowy stuff (or rather, the ugly blue glow stuff at the front - the stuff on the scope is OK) is still there but ... I think I can live with it. ;)

Still, I would prefer a better-looking phaser rifle for my away team, and so the prospect of gaining some fleet weapons is alluring ... but what do they look like? The little "preview pics" at the store are simply the generic weapon pics, AFAIK nobody has yet to provide screenshots of the weapons in action. Are these in fact the fleet weapon phasers? I found the display at my Fed fleet station, and since phasers are Starfleet's primary energy weapon of choice...

The weapons do look good, but there is one major flaw ... they lack trigger guards!

Yes, I know, there's a ton of handheld phasers and other weapons in canon Trek that don't have trigger guards, but that is no excuse. (Think of all the times you've accidentally hit a button on your cell phone. Now imagine that you cell phone could disintegrate you. You see the problem.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aethon3050aethon3050 Member Posts: 599 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hand weapons in this game are like those overdone Honda Civics that kids pick up in high school after they get their first job; they don't really have a grasp of style, so they just start sticking all kinds of things all over them, because new = improved, right?

Take the phaser rifle. The first one is boring, the second one looks more sturdy, the third one looks complete...and after that, it just gets sillier with every tier.
  • dassirdassir Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I agree, the upper level weapons lock awfull!

As a Fed, I use Tos Mk II Phaser, with is best looking but too big (scaling would be nice)

My Klingy compromised on the Tos Disruptor, a silver shiny mediocre weapon, but at least no spikes like the Mk XI ( I hate this weapon!)

I Hope something will be done about that :D
    edited August 2012
    dassir wrote: »
    I agree, the upper level weapons lock awfull!

As a Fed, I use Tos Mk II Phaser, with is best looking but too big (scaling would be nice)

My Klingy compromised on the Tos Disruptor, a silver shiny mediocre weapon, but at least no spikes like the Mk XI ( I hate this weapon!)

I Hope something will be done about that :D

The Tos Disruptor is actually kind of pretty... It's a shame the same can't be said for the rest of the disruptors...
    edited August 2012
    The TOS Disruptor is too shiny and clean (looks beta-like), otherwise ok, but it should be rusty and dirty, think about it, its old.

Disruptors simply cease to be goodlooking at mk IX, romulan Disrupter looks good, but has the size of a car battery!

I would settle with a tailor choice to modify size and looks of a weapon....MkXI looks like MkII and then scaled down.
  • aethon3050aethon3050 Member Posts: 599 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I would settle with a tailor choice to modify size and looks of a weapon....

If you're reading this, Cryptic, this would be the best thing since canned bread.
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The TOS Disruptor is too shiny and clean (looks beta-like), otherwise ok, but it should be rusty and dirty, think about it, its old.

Not really.
    It's a reward for a time travel mission so it would most likely be a "souvenir" you got from your trip to the 23rd century.
    Kinda like if you went back in time and came home with a band new Gladius.
    It would be shiny since it would still be new even though it was made centuries ago.
    edited August 2012
    misterde3 wrote: »
    Not really.
    It's a reward for a time travel mission so it would most likely be a "souvenir" you got from your trip to the 23rd century.

You got me there ;D
    edited August 2012
    reyan01 wrote: »
    The weapons that can be viewed on the new Fleet Starbases look great, but not sure if they will ever be 'usable' or will remain display only items
    Well, if you join a fleet and get enough fleet credits, you could buy one of those weapons and see for yourself.

Has anyone acutally done that? If so, could you provide screenshots of what the usable fleet weapons actually look like in-game?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • alexindcobraalexindcobra Member Posts: 608
    edited August 2012
    I wish the get rid of all the holographic stuff hanging off the top tier weapons. It doesn't look cool, it looks tacky. Be more original and make the weapon itself look different and not add a bunch of non-sense on the exterior.
  • goedzooigoedzooi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I don't like the looks of the higher trier kits either (especially the science kits).
    My tactical captain looks like a borg when I make it visible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (Or a pig)

Sorry if my English is bad.
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm mostly disapointed in the way the phaser stun and wide beam pistols look at higher levels, I want them to look like the standard issue versions, and want them to use only 1 hand to fire it while using aim mode.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
    edited August 2012
    Well, I finally got the 28K Fleet Credits to buy a Fleet weapon (Full Auto Phaser Rifle), and it looks like ... this.

Wow, just like the normal XII rifle. That was so worth the wait. :rolleyes:

They already have a number of good models made - just look at the aforememntioned weapon models in the display, or some of those weapons on the table by the vendor (such as that "cut-off" MACO rifle.) Why couldn't Cryptic use [those weapons instead?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I would be happy if the Phaser compression pistol would look like the stun and wide beam pistols.
    I also dislike the blue energy stuff on some phaser weapons, they look just awful and childish IMO.

Live long and prosper.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • startrek1warsstartrek1wars Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    aethon3050 wrote: »
    If you're reading this, Cryptic, this would be the best thing since canned bread.

Indeed. I'd love that. ;) (an option to modify the look and size of weapons)
    edited September 2012
    I wish the get rid of all the holographic stuff hanging off the top tier weapons. It doesn't look cool, it looks tacky. Be more original and make the weapon itself look different and not add a bunch of non-sense on the exterior.

Oh yeah. Particularly on the MACO rifle. It looks like a bad Mass Effect gun. :P
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The Elite Fleet Weapons, finally, don't look stupid. In fact, they look great. So do the disruptors.
  • burt12356burt12356 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    When being serious disturbed because of the application of some devices, no doubt another kind of device that can help to conquer the problem and help you to gain the better condition is need and must be used. So now to gain the better condition, various kinds of signal blockers are invented and come into the market to create quality change for people. Such as the cell phone jammers, GPS jammers, WiFi jammer, video jammers and so many other types of jammer products. And what quality changes can they bring you? Then you should be ready to see the following content.
  • marksamuelsonmarksamuelson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The only problem I have with ground weapons in general is that they are all disproportionately large. Perhaps it is difficult to get adequate resolution and detail if they were smaller, but they are exaggerated in size almost to the point of being unbelievable.
  • steddyfensteddyfen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    In your mind what is a GPS signal jammer and what can it do to help you? Only when you are in the situation that the GPS signal jammer is need you will understand how important and useful such kind of device is. Gaining more knowledge of the device? Just start and then you will have access to the best GPS signal jammer.
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I like most of the new weapon visuals to like elite weapons and romulan weapons, I hope the old mk xi and xii weapons get some kind of makeover like how console graphics just did
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • qletremblaiqletremblai Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I know this is kind of an old thread, but I agree I would rather have a canon looking phaser rifle and type 2 phaser then all that extra stuff all over the weapons. I understand they are supposed to look more advanced etc but it just doesn't do it for me.