test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Omega Force - Redneck Academy. From Cow Pies to Space Cowboys. NEWBIES ONLY.

Comments

• carmenaracarmenara Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    bwhorton wrote: »
    My apologies for putting you on ignore i was in the middle of a battle and i accidently hit ignore instead of friend well anyway here i am and im ready to join up...

Redneck engineered our way around the Ignore List bug have we?

Redneck software engineering ftw :)

Welcome aboard and may it be smooth sailing from hereon. See you amongst the stars.
    STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
    edited August 2012
    Are you sick of people acting like smartasses and prescribing complex solutions for simple problems?

In this fleet we let the new players take charge because they know what exactly they need and it's not necessary for self-appointed veterans to act like dictators saying do this, do that and leave the new guys totally clueless and unable to solve problems by themselves.

A lot of people wonder as well why we are creating "new forms of gameplay" and getting confused if we are actually doing elite team ops, roleplaying or some wierd hybrid of both.

The fact is we're not doing anything but treating human players like human beings, thus opening the possibility of using real world logic for team building and player development.

While a lot of people would approach a "what should I do with a cruiser" question from a newbie pilot with a wide variety of do-this-do-that suggestions, I find that a far more effective approach is not to dictate but to coach and mentor in a congenial, non-obstructive format.

After all, everyone has their own vision of what a science fiction spaceship does in combat and how it achieves victory.

Translating ideas into victory is what we do in Redneck Academy. We end up not with a bunch of guys who need direct orders from commanders. We have a team that is dynamic, unified and capable of operating in a very diverse and dynamic order of battle... in short, we work best with PUGs, because we don't discriminate, and we can work with anyone to create battle-winning strategies on the fly.

The internet is rife with useless advice and negative commentary, so why not implement some corporate social responsibility from the real world and encourage new players to learn at their own pace and explore their new home away from home?
    STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
    edited August 2012
    The reason for increased Elite Space STF apparent difficulty is due to the enhanced plasma weapons proc. Here are some easy counters and pointers on how to use the nifty new undocumented features in Season 6, ranging from defence suppression ability (polaron cannon rapid fire) to automatic repair (SIF generators)

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=5109261&posted=1#post5109261

My Youtube Channel
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    yup when the change started i died a lot had to switch up my armor set up. now running 3 blue mk xi nuetronium because i had them only reason

for STF you only need monotanium and elctro something something the plasma tetrion armor those 2 would be enough.
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • polonious1polonious1 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hello!

I have been a part of Redneck Academy for a few months now. I started as a Lt. Commander. Now I am a Rear Admiral. My progression has been greatly aided by my affiliation with this Fleet. If I have a question, I have only to ask. The answer I needed, as well as any background information relevent to the question, is conveyed in a kind and positive manner.

We campaign together on the ground and in space. I have learned a great deal by watching the actions of the veteran players. Reading their chat messages in battle give me a great insight into what to do to be successfull.

There is no pressure, or, any negativity involved with participating in Fleet activity, no matter your level of experience. It really is a lot of fun to be a part of this highly knowledgeable and experienced group. Anyone from Ensign on up is welcome. There is even a strong KDF presence for those who enjoy the Klingon way of life.

If you are looking for a place to call home in the STO environment, the Redneck Academy could be what you are looking for. Give us a try.

R. Admiral Bamm-Bamm Hammer
    edited August 2012
    In today's fluff post I talk about animating attack patterns by enhancing them with your own custom boff power chains and piloting habits.

You too can be Ben Sisko in the Defiant :)

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=5161761&posted=1#post5161761

ps. Also a retro discussion to our infamous taco-powered Attack Pattern Diarrhea III.

Lastly,

I will also be producing magazine-format STF and Fleet Action guides, this concept for graphical-based coaching is presented here:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=5161941#post5161941

My Youtube Channel
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    that sounds like a great idea
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
    edited August 2012
    In preparation for the long weekend, here are some creative ads for Star Trek drinks:

http://io9.com/5932449/vintage-star-trek-booze-ads-will-class-up-your-quarters

My Youtube Channel
    edited August 2012
    That sounds like a cool idea!

I am looking forward to seeing what you create. The example you posted is great. Very professional looking. Love that ship and the write up. Wouldn't mind having one of those in the game.

Bamm-Bamm Hammer, Admiral
    Redneck Academy
  • wheelybodwheelybod Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hello Commander I am wanting to join your Klingon fleet as my current one as far as I am aware is going nowhere, seeing as the counterpart to that is what everyone is working on. as a fleet member although not a newbie to the game but a newbie to Klingon. the toon is somewhere within the Captain rank at the moment.

I feel I will be able to help the newer players on many missions regardless which side they are on even though I'm not wanting to be in the fed fleet, I am also a grinder so I will be able to contribute to the Klingon Starbase if needed. I also run STF missions regularly mostly PUG's and @Carmenara and I were in the same PUG for an elite mission on the federation side, speaking of STF's I will be happy to run with any new RA's and VA's that need help on fed and Klingon when I get to it.

Federation toon is: Andrew@wheelybod
    Klingon toon is: Thomas Johnson@wheelybod

I look forward to hearing your decision either in game or on forum
    Andrew
    edited August 2012
    Thank you for your application.

As you have spoken certain alarming things (RE: Unwanted intrusions of privacy in personal and operational comms channels, during and after combat ops campaigns) earlier this week we will not be taking you aboard.

This is not a group for you to "get to know people and make friends". This is a group that goes all out to achieve victory with newbies and PUGs that everyone else gives up on. We have little interest in anything else besides structured flight operations and will not be able to satisfy your social curiousities.

Lastly, it is also considered bad form to publicly bash your existing Fleet, no matter how unsatisfactory its condition is. If you have ideas or desire to see improvement, why not apply for leadership of it, so it isn't, as you said, "going nowhere"?

My Youtube Channel
    edited August 2012
    Minutes of meeting 9-8-12

In response to certain STO community discussions RE: Terrorism by fleet leaders, we reviewed the organization of RnA to see if we may be vulnerable to such incidents in future.

We concluded that our organization was designed ground up to resist and prevent such incidents, which are sadly, (in our opinion are) due to people relieving their RL stresses on virtual property holdings.

Most will also surmise that restriction of leadership rights is the correct way to go to prevent hostile takeover situations, and that is correct - the top slot with liquidation and major restructuring powers should only be held by one or at most two wing commanders, for the reason that one leader alone may be vulnerable itself due to unforseen situations IRL (We are all adults and from time to time may have IRL matters to deal with).

But then again RnA has always been a very enthusiastic fleet when it comes to running team operations and forging ahead through uncharted waters because we do things a bit differently and that is empower all pilots to have a say in Fleet matters just as they were managers of their own ships and crews (as all Starfleet captains should be doing in this game).

This basic roleplaying premises on fleet chat has kept all discussions amongst ourselves on-topic and as a result we do have a wide variety of ships with interesting backstories, supported by a unique array of team combat strategies that are both very effective and very intuitive for the new player to pick up. They are based not on gaming philosophies but from classical real-world tactics we are familiar with from the US military.

In short, it's because we empower everyone as leaders that we are a stable and unified organization that has blitzed Tier II starbase construction no slower than a large fleet. With active financiers never exceeding 5 members, the tools of strategic prepositioning and market exploitation were practised to pre-cache resources in advance of construction projects.

This organization works and works well because all players (with the exception of a few) treat an online game as a social venue. So long as people keep talking, a fleet stays together and continues to stay together.

Over the next few days we will be going through our roster and pruning the list of inactives.

There has been already one case of irrational behaviour from one person bringing in unhealthy gaming mentalities into our fleet and threatening the organization's mission and purpose, to which I say this: -

RnA has no rules other than that we support PUG players and we teach new players in a non-intrusive format.

Just because we are fleet pilots does not mean we have the right to discriminate others behind closed doors. We may know better about in-game affairs better than some people but that means we have a solemn duty to TEACH and SHARE that knowledge with others.

In response to the above issue I am re-instituting pre-May 2012 operational protocol for as long as Season 6 is live. From August to Dec 2012 we shall be conducting full-time PUG STF support missions where 1 to 3 fleet pilots are deployed to Elite STF queues in order to assist PUG players to achieve victory and the Optional.

Maximum tolerance will be given to exercise a variety of unconventional tactics and communications methods to encourage PUG and newbie contributions to the team. Just like in all fleet matters, the new guys or PUGs lead the way and veterans join formation to support them.

That is how we roll here and that's how we intend to do things for as long as we are together and operating under a variety of identities:

While we called ourselves Redneck Academy once to practise unconventional tactics, we have established ourselves in the STO fleet community in our own way and will continue to develop cutting edge video and textual documentation of said unconventional tactics in order to bolster fledging player-development efforts within the community.

I do notice that the pro-newbie stance tends to attract either the wrong attention from said community or totally ignored no matter how sound the strategy is but I will say this - the more resistance the idea has the better. It means RnA is one of the few fleets in the game now capable of reaching out to the general public to offset the lack of in-game documentation on advanced combat tactics.

We are a fleet for newbies, by newbies and just because the community at large doesn't acknowledge our efforts doesn't mean we can't practise what we do effectively. Infact, the less recognition the better. That means we can develop our player support capability in any way we want without public interference.

That distinction and out of the box approach, is exactly why we roleplay ourselves as a Colonial Navy and Marine Corps. Far from Starfleet's intervention range, we take care of our holdings and our own people with pride.

PS:

And oh, we do KDF development as well, with a separate fleet under new ownership :)

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=5203191&postcount=27

Lastly, as developed using Starfleet roleplay in May 2012, a TNG-doctrine Odyssey build
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=5213391&postcount=6

My Youtube Channel
    edited August 2012
    Today's fleet blog (of sorts) is ironically the basis of our non-discriminatory policies.

I have never supported, and indeed actively challenge, that internet culture of picking on the new guys for this reason:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=5244081&posted=1#post5244081

Science Fiction exists to make the world a better place, and to give hope to those in forlorn straits IRL due to limitations in present-day society. We look to the future and to our fellow man to give us that hope, in the context of Sci-Fi readership.

My Youtube Channel
    edited August 2012
    While there is much angst against late/endgame ground combat, most of the fault lies with players' perception and not the game itself being too challenging.

Here are some tips by which you may achieve victory against the Borg in ground STFs without much hassle: Stock up on debuffs, expose/exploit weapon combos, and use [pla] resistance gear.

If you have access to Fleet armour and weapons, it gets even easier.

http://tinyurl.com/93pee35

----

Here is our conclusion for the topic of small fleets and starbases and how to manage starbase construction projects with a small guild.

It's just as fun being small and you don't lose out in anything being small either, that's what I feel about the whole thing.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=5259681#post5259681

My Youtube Channel
    edited August 2012
    End-August 2012 Fleet Event

To commemorate our many TNG related discussions one of the boys decided to purchase the Nebula retrofit later this month.

That's when I thought, since we have an absolutely massive dilithium production rate (thanks to Fleet starbase construction), why don't we ALL buy Nebulas?

The actual acquisition of the ships will depend on when everyone finishes allocating Dil reserves and converting them to Zen but it should be before end of this month.

This event will feature massive PvE fleet battles and Elite STF runs using Nebulas only, along with non-competitive PvP for starship pilot training.

Ps. Due to the Nebula T5 costing 2000 Zen, I am sort of thinking that certain KDF T5s might be more worth the money, namely the Kar'Fi battle carrier which has a unique bridge officer slot.

The Nebula has great support for PvP capable builds and is a versatile platform but... 6 weapon slots...

My Youtube Channel
  • sonoframonsonoframon Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The Nebula may only have 6 weapon slots, but those six weapon slots will have more power available to them, and the drain due to concurrent fire (as in a broadside salvo) won't be as noticeable as say, an Oddysey or any other 4F/4A setup... well that's how my somewhat skewed math is telling me :)

I will hit 2k CP by end of month, i hope... if not I can always just wait until tier III.
    WELL IF THE JAPORI INCIDENT HAS TAUGHT ME ANYTHING, IT'S THAT MY EXISTENCE IS AN EXPLOIT. THANKS CRYPTIC.

IF YOU ARE READING MY SIG - THEN YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG
    edited August 2012
    sonoframon wrote: »
    The Nebula may only have 6 weapon slots, but those six weapon slots will have more power available to them, and the drain due to concurrent fire (as in a broadside salvo) won't be as noticeable as say, an Oddysey or any other 4F/4A setup... well that's how my somewhat skewed math is telling me :)

I will hit 2k CP by end of month, i hope... if not I can always just wait until tier III.

"More power" would definitely be applicable if the ship would have +5 bonus to all subsystems like typical cruisers, but it's configured as a science vessel with +15 to auxiliary only.

This means to run 125++ weapons power for optimal damage from all 6 weapons firing at once, you need EPTW, + weapon energy consoles and engine. If you want to run torpedoes on it, you'll become like my RSV with 2 torps, 2 copies of HY / TS and 4 beam weapons left.

My loadout would probably be 3 disruptor cannons and 3 turrets, Aux2Batt, spam CRF1 and use the Universal ensign for an engineer for greater survivability and EPTW.

Which brings me to the point that for my chosen purpose, an MUAC is the superior choice because with EPTW/aux2batt chaining it can indeed support 4 cannons and 4 beam arrays going off at once.

Also consider that to use science powers at maximum potential you'll need maximum power to auxiliary. Erm, not much point using the Nebula as a gunship then.

Now if the MUAC had the turnrate of an Excelsior, it would be perfect (looks like I have to seriously consider the Excelsior for a naturally turnable cruiser, plus it has the LTC Tac slot).

My Youtube Channel
    edited August 2012
    It seems that the Regent class Assault Cruiser stats have dissuaded us all from buying the Nebula! After all, LTC tac pwns anyday :p

In the meantime here is some Klingon propaganda regarding my favourite KDF ship, the angry bird of prey.

My Youtube Channel
    edited August 2012
    RnA will be hosting the Regent Class community shakedown cruise tomorrow. Check out event details and the ship's public channel here:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=5289171

My Youtube Channel
    edited August 2012
    With Fed and KDF starbase construction projects under autonomous control, it's time for us to develop and achieve new levels of gameplay competencies and community awareness.

While small, this fleet of no more than 15 active members had progressed starbase construction no slower than the 100+ man fleets out there, and that should be all that needs to be said regarding management effectiveness in empowering a random group of frontier pilots into an economic power to be reckoned with.

The path is open for us to develop into either a specialized TNG roleplaying group or a Ferengi commerce academy, either of which are relevant to RnA's current in-game activities and can be likewise supported by in-house talent and commitments.

In any event, I will be mentioning this guild as an "RP" guild to prove that RP guilds too can be capable of successful Elite STF and PvP participation. The tools and knowledge required to excel in STO are after all, open for all to evaluate and experiment with at will.

My Youtube Channel
    edited August 2012
    Community Regent Class Ship Development event successful.

Short AAR posted here:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=5313591#post5313591

Video report, 'Janes Fighting Ships' style documentation to follow.

My Youtube Channel
  • swanyjdswanyjd Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Was just wondering if you had room for another wandering soul.I've been thinking about joing a fleet and like what I've read in this thread and other threads in the forums. If I could join your fleet i woud be much obliged.My main toon is Swan@swanyjd. Thanks for your time.
    Peace is the path
    edited August 2012
    Hello Swan, thank you for your message. I'll contact you in-game soon (or as soon as I get a break from work) :)

And on a little bit of community-related posting, here's my take on understanding and managing the topic of "elitism" in gaming communities.

My Youtube Channel
    edited August 2012
    Howdy!

I was thinking of my many good friends and fellow officers in the Klingon counterpart to our Redneck Fleet. All of the conversations, the stories, the overwhelming sense of honor that my compatriots adhere to. After a particularly interesting discussion with a former adversary of mine, now honorary family member, Captain K'ol Loch, I was moved to compose the following poem to honor him and our shared family. Enjoy.

Through the dark abyss where heaven's ashes dwell, we journeyed,
    using the fires of past glory to guide us.

Hands slick with the blood of our enemies, we followed our destiny.

With the hot breath of warriors, we sang our storied songs.
    Our tankards flowing with bloodwine, we remembered our honored dead.

Every movement of our bat'leths, every unsheathing of our d'k tahgs, every mek'leth thrust forging our spirits into fearsome shades worthy of unforgettable Kahless.

And at destiny's core, where the winds blew harsh as a targ's stench and the suns baked hard the thirsty ground,
    We stood with teeth bared against Fek'Ihr's own hordes.

The charge begun, our steel engorged itself within our foes.
    Eye to eye with the enemy, we mercilessly broke their bodies.
    Our warrior's blood renewed with every wound received.

And in the end. When all of Gre'thor was emptied of its demons, their sickly ichor seeping into the dust, we were victorious.

With our armor breached and dulled with the mingled gore of battle. Our blades chipped and broken. We who remained sang our last song.

Having proved ourselves worthy, we crossed the river of blood.

And entered the gates of eternal Sto-vo-kor.

Glory to the Empire!
    edited August 2012
    Klingon Opera?

I wonder who can translate that to Original Klingon to be sung in the Great Hall :D

---

This weekend's topic is "Staying ahead of the times". Guild development is never about remaining at a status quo, lest, like some other fleet's I've visited before starting this one, activity and organization was so poor that no one could run any events or partake in any new developments, lest they fall victim to nasty harassment and inquisitions from self-appointed leaders who have "paid real money" to be in said administration.

What a TRIBBLE organization.

Thankfully we at RnA aren't vulnerable to thanks to our embracing future guild development initiatives as part of our primary unit objectives. By keeping ourselves open to ideas and maintaining a safe and stable organizational structure we can expand or explore any gameplay style or topic based on seasonal trends.

Some of our ideas are documented in some recent threads about guild security management and community development and you can read them in the attached hyperlinks.

With strategic and doctrinal prepardness we had successfully handled a guild security problem a few days ago, where a senior officer attempted to abuse power and attempt to institute rules that would jeopardize the safety of the guild by not allowing new pilots to contribute and be recognized fairly.

This is a PLAYER RUN guild from Day One and mutual respect between fellow pilots is what we practise day in, day out. No one needs to act like a hooligan in a guild if we all shared our views and opinions openly.

As far as I am concerned, the newer the player, the higher the VIP status.

That is all.

My Youtube Channel
    edited August 2012
    Fleet Development Update: August 2409

Dear Captains,

I'd like to extend a warm welcome to the many new pilots who have joined our ranks this last week. I hope you will find this Fleet to be a unique and enjoyable one as it is AFAIK the only fleet right now that can truthfully say there are -no- rules and regulations yet still capable of running regular team operations.

In this fleet, only pilots and their personal initiatives matter and everyone is equal both in rank and in seniority (regardless of RL age and experience). You'll find that this sort of arrangement gives maximum benefits to newcomers and younger players and this is intended.

For a bit of history-

Redneck Academy was founded as one of the first newbie friendly Elite STF training fleets out there, way back in April - May 2012 where I produced videos to demonstrate that PUGs are capable of winning battles on their own without "veterans" shouting orders at people.

In time we evolved to become a merchant's guild that ran our starbase construction with a total of 5 financiers at the same speed that a 100-man guild achieved Tier II. We're at T2 now and do not intend to make SB construction a primary fleet mission. Rather, the goal must be continued player development and progression.

"If everyone's equal then what is progression"?

Easy - while everyone has the same influence in the unit, you can advance to organize your own fleet activities and participate in out of game actions such as posting STO forum tutorials, write fanfiction to commemorate glorious battles, etc. Nothing's stopping you from making this fleet your own.

Progression in our case is purely judged by communications. If you're the sort of check in on the Legion channel and rally the troops to run coordinated Dil and Marks farming runs, you'll realize you'll be given command rank very shortly.

AWOL officers or those who don't run team ops will be demoted/pruned to make way for junior pilots to achieve Wing Commander rank.

That is all for now.

Best Regards
    Carmen

My Youtube Channel
    edited August 2012
    Wednesday is a great day to die!

The Cereal Man (tm) is hosting a Klingon Rampage this Wednesday. Check out the event page here.

My Youtube Channel
    edited August 2012
    In today's Wall of Text (tm) I go into more detail regarding using DS9-era roleplay to manage starbase construction, and delegate as many tasks as possible to operations officers and FCA liquidators to create a "player-built' base.

A basic and functional command and control system keeps things running efficiently and team roles take care of everything else keeping everything drama free.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=5391391#post5391391

My Youtube Channel
  • krylmkrylm Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Myself and a friend of mine are looking for an active and friendly fleet. We are currently in one of those 100+ member fleets where you logon and tell everyone Hi and get greeted with the sound of...well...nothing. We are both geared decently and just want a place we can have a real impact and get into the thick of things. If you think we could be a good addition please contact me in game. I will be on tonight around 6:30 PM CST.
    edited August 2012
    Dear Captain,

Thank you for your message. Look out for my deputies when you sign in. I will give them instructions to contact you in-game.

My Youtube Channel