test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

KDF Paid expantion.

Comments

• bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'll just say, 'maybe'. All depends on what's in it.

People who buy the expansion should get account-wide unlocks for certain ships and costumes, in addition to the extra content.

That paid content should NOT include a KDF tutorial. That should be available to everyone.

I would also not like to see pre-existing content getting bundled in to a 'new' expansion and made unavailable otherwise.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    No I already have paid through the nose, LTS,, in the c-store that should have covered enough content for both factions, and that is not even including how many boxed copies I paid top dollar for at full price.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • seanftdseanftd Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    To be fair you only need one copy of the game so really that's down to you. Cstore again you wanted it so you bought it again down to you, I personally wouldnt mind paying for an expansion but as iv said in previous post id like substantial such as another quadrant ie delta or gamma. More missions and new game enemies.
  • hawks3052hawks3052 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I would, but it would depend on many factors from Cryptic if I would buy it.
  • ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm not sure, if the expansion came with KDF content AND the Romulan full faction...... with sector space revamped (opened up with no walls and the map to change to look like a real map rather than Blue blocks, Green blocks, red blocks... and so on. More like this map then maybe I would yes.... I know I'm asking for a lot... maybe to much but you wont get if you don't ask. :P
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    i would i pay 20-25 for 1 ship so a full expansion would not bother me especially if the kdf finally got fleshed out
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • praghaspraghas Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    LOTRO sells their expansions on pre-order with real money, then once they come out (or shortly there after) they are avaliable in the Turbine Store (Equivalent of the Zen Store). So maybe the same would happen here.
    Cloaking generators break down at first sign of language.
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If it was an expansion that had only mission/story content for the KDF, then yes I would support it. but if was the type of expansion that includes new regions etc., that players would be aware of, but not have access to unless they bought the expansion, then I'd say no way.
    For 2 reasons, I don't believe in the 2 tier user base that drives a wedge between those that pay and those using F2P and it would skew development statistics, the question would never be answered whether players are buying the expansion to get more for the KDF or were buying to just get access to the new regions with KDF content being an unneeded waste of development resources.
    An expansion that is just for KDF would have to have the kind of content that only affects Klingons, ie missions and story elements, not pieces of the map.
    This is true for any other faction.
    With a Romulan faction expansion, the same deal, Romulan players would be using ships already known in game and their game arcs and stories would be taking place in existing regions.
    This way players wanting these things are given a means to put their money where their mouths are and Cryptic has financial proof of community interest in expanding a given faction.

Faction specific content is still a huge gamble for Cryptic, they could go to the trouble and expense of developing a faction expansion and be left holding the bag when it doesn't sell or sell sufficiently to even cover the cost of making it.
    A lot of people talk about what they would do to get what they want, but that's all it is, talk, asking investors to risk their bottom line on possible sales is foolish for a product that has already changed hands once due to poor returns.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • ufpbuzzufpbuzz Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I would gladly pay for a KDF, or any other faction, expansion. Especially if you could purchase it with zen, in which case you could really get it for free by earning dilithium. But I do think that subscribers/LTers should either get it for free, or at a discount.
  • commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm not sure, if the expansion came with KDF content AND the Romulan full faction...... with sector space revamped (opened up with no walls and the map to change to look like a real map rather than Blue blocks, Green blocks, red blocks... and so on. More like this map then maybe I would yes.... I know I'm asking for a lot... maybe to much but you wont get if you don't ask. :P

I agree I would pay if it included this. We are way beyond me willing to pay solely for a Klingon Expansion, I feel that is owed to us.

However, if they are putting in $7.00 space suits claimable by only one toon what makes you thing they would only want to charge $20.00 - $40.00?
    edited August 2012
    I agree I would pay if it included this. We are way beyond me willing to pay solely for a Klingon Expansion, I feel that is owed to us.

However, if they are putting in $7.00 space suits claimable by only one toon what makes you thing they would only want to charge $20.00 - $40.00?

Maybe no one bought them and they learned their lesson.... I /laugh at all the people I see wearing them, which has been a grand total of one.
  • eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited August 2012

I 100% agree we are owed, given the history of statements made by various devs. They know they owe but it doesn't matter when this is not in their current business plan.

That's why I'd go for a Paid KDF Expansion. Money talks after all. So if they see immediate profits in it maybe a completed KDF would end up on the front burner.
  • standupguy86standupguy86 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Personally there is no way Id be willing to pay for a Klingon Expansion. My reasoning is, Cryptic has flip-flopped on the topic of a full fledged KDF Faction for almost three years now. So from my point of view, they dont deserve the large sums of money that would come from that expansion.

The ONLY way I would personally be willing to pay for an expansion, and it better be alot cheaper then those seen in WoW and other respectable MMOs, would be if its two or so more years down the line and they committed the next two years to PvP revamp (Crafting has already had its turn its PvPs turn) and Klingon Heavy Seasons. Along the way they could routinely drop Fed ships/kdf2fed content.

This way the expansion can orient itself towards introducing the Romulan faction and improving the existing KDF and Fed side.

By the way, I prefer not to play a Klingon. Theyre too hardheaded.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I myself am mostly a Fed player, but I'm more than willing to support KDF. I would buy a KDF expansion if it went something like this:

$30-50 Price tag.

40-50% Discount for LTS and Gold.

4 New STFs, available for both factions after purchase (Note: Would not include into the hive)

5 Other PvE Missions. 3 KDF only, 2 multifaction.

A Targ/Beast hunting mission, with trophies, accolades, and titles.

Unique Starship material for both factions. (I'd be open to some kind of Jolly Roger theme)

Special items available for all alts. (They could bring back the Preorder Items in this manner)

At least 10 KDF costumes (They've got loads to pick from)

Only one or two for feds. (Possibly Red Squad uniforms?)

Special titles & accolades.

30+ Missions for KDF advancement. (could be made available for everyone at a future date, just give me some kind of shiny for getting it early)

Ability to start KDF at level one, without going through Starfleet.

Possibly some kind of starbase reward (most likely just an aesthetic one) (KDF only)

A new tutorial available for everyone. (On KDF side)

This way KDF gets a lot of content, but still has enough shinies to entice mostly Fed players, like myself, into buying it. Even then, most of the shinies are mostly visual ones, or would be available for all alts on an account, in the case of the Preorder items.
  • bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Reality is though, I could grind dilithium to no end and sell it all on the dilithium exchange and in the process accrue enough ZEN to never spend any real-world money on the game. :cool:

Then stop complaining about how your game might be "devalued."
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The only way an expansion is getting released is if they get a larger team and set aside time to develop it.

If they can do that, good luck. I'll be waiting for it.

I don't see that happening though. I see them releasing more easier to develop stuff like ship reskins and other p2w stuff.

They get a lot of sales on that kind of stuff with a minimum of investment. They only really have to put their PvP guys (lol?) on the gear from time to time to fix and rebalance the parts. Usually months after PvPers complain about them.

Yes, I'm a little annoyed at the stuff that occasionally gets released into my favorite gametype. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If it had some of the following.. then yes I would pay

20-30 new KDF missions
    1 or 2 new KDF player species
    Npc Orion,Gorn & Nausicaan ships for KDF players
    Social Zones (Orion "homeworld", Nausicaan Asteroid etc)
    More KDF sector space
    More Outfits
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Unless I got some good, non-spiked boot options for KDF female aliens and joined Trills (either free or as part of the expansion), I wouldn't pay for a KDF expansion. Yes, I'm still quibbling about that.
    edited August 2012
    mirai222 wrote: »
    Unless I got some good, non-spiked boot options for KDF female aliens and joined Trills (either free or as part of the expansion), I wouldn't pay for a KDF expansion. Yes, I'm still quibbling about that.

You aren't the only one.... I'd be willing to bet they could introduce KDF Boot Pack to the Zen store and it'd sell pretty decently for footwear.
    edited August 2012
    praghas wrote: »
    You aren't the only one.... I'd be willing to bet they could introduce KDF Boot Pack to the Zen store and it'd sell pretty decently for footwear.

I know, it's not like they don't have options....
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Expansion Packs are extremely common in this industry. I'm not sure why someone would be willing to spend $20-$25.00 for a ship - let alone $100.00 for a Lockbox ship - but not $30.00 for an Expansion Pack .

Consider that this expansion is supposed to bring the KDF faction in line with the Federation faction. This is basic, core game stuff that should have existed when the game launched. Why should KDF players pay to have their faction be where it should have been since Day 1 of the game going live?
    XzRTofz.gif
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Consider that this expansion is supposed to bring the KDF faction in line with the Federation faction. This is basic, core game stuff that should have existed when the game launched. Why should KDF players pay to have their faction be where it should have been since Day 1 of the game going live?
    What "should have existed" doesn't really matter at this point - it stopped mattering years ago. In life we must deal with what's in front of us not what we should have had. If you're happy gaining 1 new KDF Mission a year because it "should have existed" then good for you. I'd rather fork over the price of ship and get what I can get; because the only way the KDF is ever going to justify the amount of money Cryptic would need to put into the game to give them the Missions they want is by paying extra for it.

We're not living in 2005. We're living in 2012 during a 7-year-long global recession where even the largest MMOs are reporting huge losses. WoW just reported their Sub-base is down to 9.1 million. That's 3 million Subs lost in 3 years: 25%, and it's only getting worse. No one is going to put a million dollars into the KDF just because it "should have existed." Not in this economy.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • zaynarzaynar Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If it brought the KDF up to par with the Federation and meant we could get the other factions, maybe one per year, then I would most likely buy it.
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    bloctoad wrote: »
    Then stop complaining about how your game might be "devalued."

I am not complaining, I offered my opinion. This is a forum isn't it? Just checking...

Notice you haven't chimed in with your $.01 thoughts on this yet, just attacking other people...real classy...

We're not living in 2005. We're living in 2012 during a 7-year-long global recession where even the largest MMOs are reporting huge losses. WoW just reported their Sub-base is down to 9.1 million. That's 3 million Subs lost in 3 years: 25%, and it's only getting worse. No one is going to put a million dollars into the KDF just because it "should have existed." Not in this economy.

WoW's losses may have more to do with Kung Fu Pandas than the economy. Just sayin'.
    edited August 2012
    What "should have existed" doesn't really matter at this point - it stopped mattering years ago. In life we must deal with what's in front of us not what we should have had. If you're happy gaining 1 new KDF Mission a year because it "should have existed" then good for you. I'd rather fork over the price of ship and get what I can get; because the only way the KDF is ever going to justify the amount of money Cryptic would need to put into the game to give them the Missions they want is by paying extra for it.

Agreed. But! On the plus side, that means we can ask for what we would pay for instead of paying for whatever the devs decide to throw at us. :)
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    playable proper TOS klingons (including boffs , and CANON weapons not these ones with the banana clip)

Properly lit (non smokey) TOS klingon ship interiors (they look a bit like cubmarines but they ARE well lit)

30 or so new missions

Levels 1 and up

Then charge what you like and I'll pay it
    Live long and Prosper
  • pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    No, I would not pay for any sort of KDF expansion. I've already paid for and enjoyed the KDF content. :rolleyes:

But I would pay for a Romulan Expansion. :D
  • kchundakchunda Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    zaynar wrote: »
    If it brought the KDF up to par with the Federation and meant we could get the other factions, maybe one per year, then I would most likely buy it.

Just started playing KDF, about to hit Captain. Playing cause there's nothing more to do on my Fed, but I'm enjoying KDF more now that I know what I'm doing.

I'm afraid that once I'm lvl 50 in KDF, I will have nothing to do again. I'm not psyched to replay the same missions I finished as a Fed already, just in a different skin.

If it would help push the story forward and they throw in more stuff to boot (no clothing pun intended), then I might kick a few z points in.
    Addicted: January 2012

batlh QIH 'ej!
  • robingbrownrobingbrown Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Not that Cryptic will ever manage to make a KDF expansion but yes, in a heartbeat.

I've got two accounts in DDO that I pay a subscription for, I recently bought the collector's edition expansion for _both_ accounts as soon as it was available.

DDO has their FTP almost perfect, Cryptic on the other hand seem to be unable to stick to one direction for more than a month at a time and completely incapable of learning from other companies successes.
    I used to have an Orion slave girl, then PWE 'perfected' her, now all I have is this lousy signature
  • xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    there is one horribly large problem with this idea of a paid expansion.

STO is now Free to play to make people pay for an expansion would defeat the whole point of F2P.

it may have worked if they did it during S2P (subscribe to play) but its not S2P anymore so.