test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sovy Re-Fit - Console/Torpedo

dashuk2381dashuk2381 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Federation Discussion
Going off the blog post on the front page, looks like the new Sovy has some goodies. While I'm honestly not all that excited about the Metreon Gas console(just seems like an overall silly idea to me) the 180 degree firing arc torpedo is an awesome idea and seems like something they should have done a long time ago for the AC class in general.

I wonder though if them putting that torpedo with the ship isn't just candy to make people buy the ship to get the weapon. Now a lot of the people who hate the design will buy it just to get the torpedo with a better firing arc to use on some of their other cruisers, heck I know I probably will.
Post edited by dashuk2381 on

Comments

• nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    ... and whats wrong with doing that? I'm sure there will be many purchases based on that alone. It certainly doesn't harm the buyer nor Cryptic's finances if people buy things to make their gameplay subjectively 'better' ^^

I'm actually rather interested in the whole offering though.
  • dashuk2381dashuk2381 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well it's nice that they added the option for the normal swept pylons when you can edit the ship, so the design is growing on me somewhat. I just thought the 180 degree torpedo was a great idea, but honestly I don't know if it's one that should cost you $20. Guess I'll wait and see what the statistics are on the torpedo launcher because it may turn out that even with the improved arc it's still not as good as the Mk XII stuff you can get anyways in game for free.
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If it was a 360? degree Torpedo launcher I would get more excited :p
  • matridunadan1matridunadan1 Member Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    dashuk2381 wrote: »
    Well it's nice that they added the option for the normal swept pylons when you can edit the ship, so the design is growing on me somewhat. I just thought the 180 degree torpedo was a great idea, but honestly I don't know if it's one that should cost you $20. Guess I'll wait and see what the statistics are on the torpedo launcher because it may turn out that even with the improved arc it's still not as good as the Mk XII stuff you can get anyways in game for free.

For a cruiser, having the wide-angle torpedo means we can add torpedo barrages to our broadsides. We now have a 35-degree window angled towards fore or aft where our fore and aft beam arrays not only meet up with each other but also with the torpedo launcher.

Coupled with a few torpedo DOffs and cruisers just became devastating again.
  • unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    And look at the BO setup:
    -Bridge Officer Stations: 1 Ensign Tactical, 1 Lieutenant Commander Tactical, 1 Lieutenant Engineering, 1 Commander Engineering, 1 Lieutenant Universal

-Console Modifications: 3 Tactical, 4 Engineering, 2 Science

If you do something crazy and use the Lt Universal for tac powers instead of science (relying on, say, Engineering team for a hull heal/buff cleanser), you'll have enough tac power slots to run a beam array/torpedo broadside build capable of both a Power to Shields and Tactical Team cycle.

I'm no cruiser savant, but here's what I thought of when I saw the post:

LtC Tac: Tactical Team I, Torp Spread II (or Attack Pattern Beta I or Fire At Will II), Fire At Will III (could be APB II or Torp Spread III)
    En Tac: Tactical Team I (or a Torp Ability or FAW/Beam Overload)
    Lt Uni (Tac): Tac Team (or a Torp/Beam ability depending on whether or not you use your En Tac for Tactical Team), Torp or Beam ability or Attack Pattern Beta

Com Eng: EPTS I, RSP I or Aux2SIF, EPTS III, Extend Shields (dropping Eject Warp Plasma in favor of the Metreon Console)
    Lt En: EP to Weapons, Aux2SIF or Eng Team/DEM (or vice versa)

Consoles:
    Tac: Damage for beams or torps depending on your power setup
    Sci: Field Generators/Emitters
    En: Armor consoles + Borg console and Metreon Console
  • dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm not that excited about the torpedo myself. Because increasing its arc probably reduces it's dmg (ALOT).

Metreon gas console ? Well, I think it will be meh. Unless it works like warp plasma.
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
    edited August 2012
    Should be equivalent to the drop between a DBB and a Single Cannon.

Pretty small drop on the average, but how about in projectile terms? Since it's a quantum with a 2x arc, maybe the raw damage difference between a quantum and a photon?

Or do you think they'll adjust cooldown time instead of damage numbers - say, a quantum with the reload of a transphasic (8.5 sec vs 10.5 sec)? I'd prefer the latter, personally. Not much point to having cool torp broadsides on a slow launcher.
    edited August 2012
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Should be equivalent to the drop between a DBB and a Single Cannon.

Huh, but that's quite huge drop...
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
    edited August 2012
    The difference probably will be greater. But what you do not see is that all buffs and bonuses are pplied on the base dmg. So with lower base the end numbers will be much more different.

Since quantums are burst weapons to kill off enemy while shields are down (well timed) they will lack the only thing they are good at = BIG CRITS.

Shooting them on broadside will have minimum effect. Hell I'm pretty sure my Movement Pattern Snake with 1 photon torpedo would cause more dmg overall.

The idea of 180degree launchers is fine, but not at the cost of dmg. They might have increased the cooldown tho, so there would be dps drop but same dmg.
    edited August 2012
    dalnar83 wrote: »
    Shooting them on broadside will have minimum effect. Hell I'm pretty sure my Movement Pattern Snake with 1 photon torpedo would cause more dmg overall.

Being able to fire torpedoes from broadside is absolutely vital for cruisers. The target shields will already have been taken down by the full broadside of a cruiser's fore & aft beam arrays, so being able to fire off quantums immediately maximizes the damage potential.
    edited August 2012
    Being able to fire torpedoes from broadside is absolutely vital for cruisers. The target shields will already have been taken down by the full broadside of a cruiser's fore & aft beam arrays, so being able to fire off quantums immediately maximizes the damage potential.

Ah sorry, I was thinking about PVP (you know, the stuff where your target actually has shields and heals and even reinforces their shield facings), not PvE. Of course in PvE it will work fine. But even in PvE you can move in slithering pattern and rotate your broadside volleys with forward/aft torpedoes --> you just have to actually move, not just park and shoot from 10km.
    edited August 2012
    you just have to actually move, not just park and shoot from 10km.

I love parking and shooting. It's like a combat version of getting food at a drive through.

"Hi, I'd like to order 2 Encrypted Data Chips with a side of Rare Salvage. Actually, upsize that to Prototype Salvage please."

"I'm sorry sir, the other people said they needed the salvage. You get nothing."
    edited August 2012
    I love parking and shooting. It's like a combat version of getting food at a drive through.

"Hi, I'd like to order 2 Encrypted Data Chips with a side of Rare Salvage. Actually, upsize that to Prototype Salvage please."

"I'm sorry sir, the other people said they needed the salvage. You get nothing."

The problem is in STF especially, those park and shoot odysseys are usually one shot by enemy torps because they have negative defence value and crits on them hit much harder. Also being close to the target improves dmg and you miss less.

Hence a cruiser that "hugs" his target will do more dmg and will be more resilient than the parking one because of his defence rating.

You can also see this in PvP, where inexperienced cruiser pilot do exactly the same they do in STF in PvP and are blown to pieces in seconds.

The quantum console is great for the parking gameplay, but I get the feeling it will be subpar in forward slot.

My guess is, the launcher will be popular aft weapon.

Anyway, I'm just saying do not have high expectation for the launcher, at least you won't be so disappointed. :)
    edited August 2012
    Hence a cruiser that "hugs" his target will do more dmg and will be more resilient than the parking one because of his defence rating.

I'm a hugger. The Unimatrix Command Ships have a restraining order on me. :D

And as a cruiser, that means I'm at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to torpedoes. That's why a launcher with a firing arc this wide is a godsend.
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    hmm i will say i am interested will have to wait and see when it comes out

this might become my replacement
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • richandrewsrichandrews Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I like the boff slots and the consoles are interesting, just a shame no stats are listed.

My Tac toon only flies his Heavy Escourt Carrier, and its getting a little dull so i want to build a broadsider for s**ts and giggles. I was planning on the ODY Tac Cruiser but I prefer the BOFF slots and the console goodies of this new Assault Cruiser.

This is what im planning (with all efficient Boffs):
    Ensign tac| Tac Team I
    Lieutenant Commander tac| Tac Team I, Beam FAW II ,Beam Overload III
    Lieutenant engineering| Emergency Power to Weapons I, Aux to Structural I
    Commander engineering|Engineering Team I, Extend Shields I, Reverse Shield Polarity II, Directed Energy Modulation III
    Universal - Lieutenant Sci| Polarize Hull I, Hazard Emmiters II

Fore Weapons: DIS Dual beam array, DIS 2* beam array, Wide Angle Quantum Torpedo Launcher
    Aft Weapons: DIS 3* beam array, 1* quantum launcher

Console Modifications:
    Tactical: 2* Disruptor Induction Coil, Metreon Gas Canisters Console
    Engineering: EPS Flow Regulator,Neutronium Alloy,Ablative Hull Armour, tetraburnium alloy
    Science: 2* field generator

M.A.C.O Shield and Deflector, Borg Engines

But this is stil up for debate as i wont be able to afford this for 5 weeks as I save up zen
  • teleon22teleon22 Member Posts: 424
    edited August 2012
    I think my Build will be as follows: Used with Engineer Captain

Ensign Tactical: BFAW-I
    Lieutenant Commander Tactical: BFAW-I, Torpedo Spread II, TT-III
    Commander Engineer: EPTS-I, RSP-I, DEM-II, Aux-SIF-III
    Lieutenant Engineer: EPTS-I, RSP-I
    Lieutenant Science: Science Team-I, Polarize Hull-II

Note: (Use of two tactical Con officers and I can use Tactical Team III every 15 seconds)

Fore Weapons: 3x MK XII [ACC x3] Phaser Beam Arrays & WAQTL
    Aft Weapons: 3x MK XII [ACC x3] Phaser Beam Arrays & MK XII QTL [ACC x2]

Ship Equipment:
    -Borg Deflector
    -Borg Engines
    -MACO MK XII Shield

Devices:
    -Red Matter Capacitor
    -Subspace Field Modulator
    -Heavy Phaser Turret
    -Dual use battery

Engineering Consoles:
    -MK XII Monotanium Alloy
    -MK XII Diburnium Hull Plating
    -MK XII Tetraburnium Hull Armor
    -Borg Assimilated Module

Science Consoles:
    -MK XI Field Emitters
    -MK XI Field Emitters

Tactical Consoles:
    - Metrion Gas Canister
    - MK XII Phaser Relay
    - MK XII Phaser Relay
    edited August 2012
    I'm still on the fence about actually getting it when it comes out, since I want it mainly for looks and torp broadside potential, but I'll try testing out a no-science build in favor of heavy tac:

Ensign Tactical: BFAW-I
    Lieutenant Commander Tactical: Tac Team-I, Torp Spread II, BFAW-III, APB-III (or APO-III)
    Commander Engineer: EPTS-I, RSP-I, EPTS III, Extend Shields III (or Aux2SIF III, since w/o science hull heals needed)
    Lieutenant Engineer: EPT Weapons I, Eng Team II (need debuff cleanser, could go vice-versa)
    Lieutenant Universal (TAC): Tac Team-I, Torp Spread II (or Torp High Yield or Beam: Target Shields II if I want to go beam heavy)

(If/When I get them I may try out Phased Tetryons or Phased Polarons, but Phasers are what I own for now)

Fore Weapons: 3x Phaser Beam Arrays & WAQTL
    Aft Weapons: 4x Phaser Beam Arrays or 3x Arrays + 1 Quantum Torp Launcher

Ship Equipment:
    -MACO Deflector
    -Borg Engines
    -MACO MK XII Shield

Devices:
    -Scorpion Fighters (or Phaser Turret)
    -Subspace Field Modulator
    -Dual Battery (Weapons/Shields)
    -Deuterium surplus (or turret)

Engineering Consoles:
    *Still evaluating use of specialized armor vs. Neutronium*
    2x Neutronium
    - Metreon Gas
    -Borg Assimilated Module

Science Consoles:
    -MK XI Field Emitters
    -MK XI Field Emitters (or Grappler if tractor substitute needed)

Tactical Consoles:
    *could go vice-versa if torps work out well*
    - Quantum console
    - MK XII Phaser Relay
    - MK XII Phaser Relay[/QUOTE]
  • synthiasuicidesynthiasuicide Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Its the feds version of the Vorcha Refit.

Only these spots switch places:

Vorcha Refit:
    Ensign Engie
    Lt Tac

Sovie:
    Ensign Tac
    Lt Engie

Well, and the Vorcha has better turn. lol.
    And the Fleet version of this ship when it was up also Mimicked the Vorcha
    4 Tac
    4 Eng
    2 Sci

Unless Im mistakin.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • anarricanarric Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The problem is in STF especially, those park and shoot odysseys are usually one shot by enemy torps because they have negative defence value and crits on them hit much harder. Also being close to the target improves dmg and you miss less.

The problem there is, they are parked in the wrong parking area. The best place for any Tank/Anyone stupid enough to attack a tact tube up close, is above/top of the cube, where the firing arcs cant touch you. But even then you should make small circles above the cube to keep your defense value up. I've never been shot at above the firing arcs and my 3 Borg + MK 12 MACO Shields are 80-100%. 9 out of 10 times I survive every tact cube I face, only time I don't is when I have the internal 15second cooldown blocking me from an ability or something manages to hit me with "Assimilate Ship" >_<
    edited August 2012
    No, the problem is that they are parked facing forwards.
  • gypsybladegypsyblade Member Posts: 730 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Two Questions:

1) Can this torp be placed in an Aft weapon slot?

2) IIRC this torp can mounted on all cruisers, did this include the D'kora and Galor?
    edited August 2012
    gypsyblade wrote: »
    Two Questions:

1) Can this torp be placed in an Aft weapon slot?

2) IIRC this torp can mounted on all cruisers, did this include the D'kora and Galor?

1.) Unknown. Most of the theoretical builds in this thread and others (including mine), are simply working off the assumption that the thing is a standard quantum torpedo launcher [Acc] [CritH] with a 180-degree arc. Until it comes out...today, no one's sure if there have been any particular nerfs or enhancements besides the arc. I imagine it could be rear-mounted. There's no particular reason it shouldn't be. On a 180 arc if you're broadsiding it doesn't matter what side it's on.

2.) According to the blog "This launcher can be equipped on any starship, but you may only equip one." As far as I know both the Galor and D'kora are starships.

I just got an idea: What if you could mount this on a small craft for the Vault event? That'd be cool.
    edited August 2012
    1.) Unknown. Most of the theoretical builds in this thread and others (including mine), are simply working off the assumption that the thing is a standard quantum torpedo launcher [Acc] [CritH] with a 180-degree arc. Until it comes out...today, no one's sure if there have been any particular nerfs or enhancements besides the arc. I imagine it could be rear-mounted. There's no particular reason it shouldn't be. On a 180 arc if you're broadsiding it doesn't matter what side it's on.

2.) According to the blog "This launcher can be equipped on any starship, but you may only equip one." As far as I know both the Galor and D'kora are starships.

I just got an idea: What if you could mount this on a small craft for the Vault event? That'd be cool.

The Ferengi Rapid Fire Missile is fore only... which is why I ask

Could possible have two 180' torps on a cruiser...

6 beams broadside along with those two torps would hurt quite a bit
    edited August 2012
    The Ferengi Rapid Fire Missile is fore only... which is why I ask

Could possible have two 180' torps on a cruiser...

6 beams broadside along with those two torps would hurt quite a bit

Ooh, nice idea. What kind of "missile" is it? Photon? Quantum? And do skills like spread and high yield apply?

And it's not on sale anymore! I'll never get one :(
    edited August 2012
    Ooh, nice idea. What kind of "missile" is it? Photon? Quantum? And do skills like spread and high yield apply?

And it's not on sale anymore! I'll never get one :(

It's just straight Kinetic Damage, I use it on my D'kora..

I'll have to test for spread and high yield (to which I think it works with high yield)

Only the straight +Torp Damage console and the Console 62 (Also a Ferengi item) buffs the damage. I believe mine is just under 3k, I'll to log to check... it does basically no damage to shields in exchange for it being an "antique"

Rapid Fire Missile Launcher
    edited August 2012
    It's just straight Kinetic Damage, I use it on my D'kora..

I'll have to test for spread and high yield (to which I think it works with high yield)

Only the straight +Torp Damage console and the Console 62 (Also a Ferengi item) buffs the damage. I believe mine is just under 3k, I'll to log to check... it does basically no damage to shields in exchange for it being an "antique"

Rapid Fire Missile Launcher

That's still pretty cool though, esp if spread and high yield work with it. The build I have in mind doesn't use torps for the major damage anyway, so having two 180s firing constantly is just gravy. Deadly gravy.
    edited August 2012
    That's still pretty cool though, esp if spread and high yield work with it. The build I have in mind doesn't use torps for the major damage anyway, so having two 180s firing constantly is just gravy. Deadly gravy.

yea number was way off lol... its just under 1.4k.. but it fires a lot.. sometimes the 2nd one fires before first even lands.. I have the DPS clocked at 537.8 atm
  • carmenaracarmenara Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Rarely have I been this enthusiastic about a new cash store ship, having said "nah" to everything from the Odyssey to the Armitage.

But this one caught my attention mostly because I have not bought a z-store ship before and I have always been facing the "not enough tac slots" issue in Fed cruisers.

I am probably going to put the torpedo and the metreon gas console on my Fleet Patrol Escort which is my preferred tactical combatant.

On normal whales with only 2 tac powers I get around this limitation by using 3 pink quality Technicians and spamming Auxiliary to Battery 1 to reduce the tactical power cooldown from 30s to about 10s for CRF1. Remember CRF starts cooling down the moment you activate the power? Aux2Batt acts both to reduce the CD by 10s and also boosts weapon power immediately upon activation.

I also notice that with A2B1 I do not need to have duplicates of RSP or EPTS3, as the cooldowns for them are greatly reduced as well.

This is my prototype build which will hopefully be tested alongside other Regent captains tomorrow morning: -

T-ENS : TT1 HY2
    T-Lt. Cdr : FAW1 CRF1 APD2
    E-Lt. : ET1 Aux2Bat1
    E-Cdr. : E2Aux RSP1 EPTS3 A2SIF3
    Universal Lt. - Engr. : EPTW1 ES1

I intend to run the ship without any torpedoes and 4 beams and 4 cannons, on an Engineering character (to deal with obvious power drain issues). Aux2Batt1 will allow me to spam FAW, HY2, TT1 and CRF with practically double the speed, so no need for Blue Conn Officers or weapon cooldown doffs.

Note: if -really- running with no torpedoes then replace HY2 with something else, probably APB1.

I am undecided on EPTW1 because Aux2Batt boosts weapons, shields and engines simultaneously acting like EPTW1.5 by itself, but without the 10% damage boost.

Emergency to Auxiliary is something that I use on other ship builds to temporarily boost healing powers. I am also a bit leery about using the Universal slot for an Engineering boff as I really have no use for 3 Engineering Ensign powers, and the lack of science powers means no useful TSS1 and HE2 or PH1 and repulsors which are useful for damage resistance and saving PUG Elites respectively.

I only just stumbled onto this very resourceful thread but if anyone's interested I setup a "Regent Class Development" chat channel to see if anyone else wants to fly with or challenge other Regent class builders tomorrow.

Link
    STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
    edited August 2012
    carmenara wrote: »
    Rarely have I been this enthusiastic about a new cash store ship, having said "nah" to everything from the Odyssey to the Armitage.

I get around that limitation by using 3 pink quality Technicians and spamming Auxiliary to Battery 1 to reduce the tactical power cooldown from 30s to about 10s for CRF1. I also notice that with A2B1 I do not need to have duplicates of RSP or EPTS3, as the cooldowns for them are greatly reduced as well.

This is my prototype build which will hopefully be tested alongside other Regent captains tomorrow morning: -

T-ENS : TT1 HY2
    T-Lt. Cdr : FAW1 CRF1 APD2
    E-Lt. : ET1 Aux2Bat1
    E-Cdr. : E2Aux RSP1 EPTS3 A2SIF3
    Universal Lt. - Engr. : EPTW1 ES1

I intend to run the ship without any torpedoes and 4 beams and 4 cannons, on an Engineering character (to deal with obvious power drain issues). Aux2Batt1 will allow me to spam FAW, HY2, TT1 and CRF with practically double the speed, so no need for Blue Conn Officers or weapon cooldown doffs.
    [/URL]

This is an interesting build as well. I've never thought about builds that use Doffs to make up for those kinds of shortfalls (since they're pretty costly most of the time).

Makes you think that those folks whining about how consoles are always boring damage boosters might be missing the forest for the trees. The "exotic effects" they want are in your Doff choices.