test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Account Guard Code?

stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I'm just coming back to play and I've been waiting about 2 hours for Account Guard to send me a computer code. I've double-checked my email address under Account, checked all my folders/spam folders, and still no security code. I can't play the game without the code, and I can't turn off Account Guard without the code. Major impass.
Post edited by stf65 on

Comments

• nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You have likely done this but I assume you tried prompting the game or the site to send you another code in case it was just an issue with the 1st?
  • herkuliusherkulius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    To me this account guard thing is a solution partly to a problem of Cryptic's own making. Let us use like 50 characters when picking a password, and also let us use any character available, even the high ansi ones.

Why the limits anyway? Login data should be hashed and salted so even if data theft occurs, it is useless to the hackers. Plus a hashing algorithm doesn't care about how long your password is. With that in mind we should be able to use even passwords several hundred characters in length.

But Cryptic is in good company there. Blizzard for example is similarly restrictive, which makes me wonder if it's the users or the companies who don't take IT security seriously.

Remember folks, nothing beats a nice long password, even if it's as simple as
    Mypassword._.._.._.._.._.._.._.._.._.._.._.._.._.._.._.._.._.._.._.._.._.._.._.._.._.._.._.._.._.._.._.

If you're looking for a good read on the matter: https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm

Sorry for going off topic.
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I figured out the issue: the game won't send you a code until you successfully Link your old Cryptic account to your new PW account.
  • kobayashlmarukobayashlmaru Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    nynik wrote: »
    You have likely done this but I assume you tried prompting the game or the site to send you another code in case it was just an issue with the 1st?

I used to think this too. However, a friend reported getting the e-mails in the wrong order once they were finally received, and therefore becomes impossible to know which one to use and where. and once you enter the wrong code, it is invalidated and you have to wait for another e-mail. It's the perfect trap.
    Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor