test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry editor is currently unavailable (8/9 UPDATE: It's back up!)

Comments

• c4ptain0bviou5c4ptain0bviou5 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Do you realize that it takes weeks to build a good mission? And that we can't really see if there is a bug without building one? If we could import AND export (both are extremely important) our projects between trible and holodeck, I would be happy to heavily help to test the thing, but the point is that if the devs wants us to test the foundry, they first have to give us the tools to test them. :)

They should have just copied over all of the foundry spotlight missions, and a random sampling of others, and asked people to test them. All of the spotlight missions are complex enough that any major bugs would have been found, and minor ones could have been fixed post season 6 launch.
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited August 2012
    linyive wrote: »
    It took me only two to three days to build my mission. Its rather easy.

You're right, it does not necessarily take weeks to create a good mission, I built one in 48 hours once that I think is pretty cool, but for many of us it can take weeks and months to create the kind of insanely complicated, trigger heavy, custom map building, reams of dialogue type of missions that are generally the first to break after a new update.

I think you guys are right about this part for sure: we need a way at the very least to port our Holodeck missions to Tribble so we can test new updates on established missions. It is essential since they wiped Tribble missions last year and virtually no big complicated missions are left on it. I remember back to when Foundry was going live on Holodeck and many of us wanted a way to port our missions from Tribble so we wouldn't have to rebuild. We were told it would not be possible. But that was more than a year ago, maybe its possible now.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
    edited August 2012
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    You're right, it does not necessarily take weeks to create a good mission, I built one in 48 hours once that I think is pretty cool, but for many of us it can take weeks and months to create the kind of insanely complicated, trigger heavy, custom map building, reams of dialogue type of missions that are generally the first to break after a new update.

I think you guys are right about this part for sure: we need a way at the very least to port our Holodeck missions to Tribble so we can test new updates on established missions. It is essential since they wiped Tribble missions last year and virtually no big complicated missions are left on it. I remember back to when Foundry was going live on Holodeck and many of us wanted a way to port our missions from Tribble so we wouldn't have to rebuild. We were told it would not be possible. But that was more than a year ago, maybe its possible now.

Also, porting from tribble to holodeck is NOT the same thing as porting from holodeck to tribble. We cant port characters from tribble to holodeck, but we CAN port characters from holodeck to tribble. So just because we couldnt port missions from tribble to holodeck when the foundry first went live does NOT mean it would not be possible to do the reverse.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2012

That is true.

My First Foundry Mission, I've been working on since the Foundry went live over a year ago! Most of the story was done within a few weeks, but with the Foundry shutdowns and other delays, I've yet to finish it. But I've gotten ideas that improved it to the level I think this might be a highly popular mission.

My Second Foundry Mission (my first published) was done within a few days for the Jem'Hadar Ship Contest and is almost as complicated as the first one.

So you can get good missions done if you got the plans in your heads and maps cooperate with you to publish quickly.

Now if the Foundry would get back online....
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    We were told it would not be possible. But that was more than a year ago, maybe its possible now.

They don't have the tech to copy/past some files from a server to another one? :D

For those who aren't convinced that creating a good mission can take weeks, I'll just say I'm not paid to work 8h a day on it. I do it when I have some time for it. And that I do a lot of testing, many changes, many tweaking. At least my missions aren't perfect but I'm pretty sure they come with 0 bug.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
    edited August 2012
    I can't vouch for the honesty of what we were told. I can tell you that answer was not well received.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
    edited August 2012
    A friend of mine, who is a computer scientist, told me once that when a computer scientist tells that it's not possible, it's just an euphemism for "don't bother me with that". :D
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
    edited August 2012
    A friend of mine, who is a computer scientist, told me once that when a computer scientist tells that it's not possible, it's just an euphemism for "don't bother me with that". :D

That's absolutely brilliant!
  • starkofthenorthstarkofthenorth Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I can't access the foundry right now.

But thats because I'm in Vegas.

I'll comment seriously when I get back. Drogyn, keep up the optimism.
    Also known as Gingie(In game) Sskald(Gates of Sto-vo-kor)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    Thanks Gingie/starkofthenorth

I hope you're going dressed as the EMH Mk13 ;)
    edited August 2012
    They should have just copied over all of the foundry spotlight missions, and a random sampling of others, and asked people to test them. All of the spotlight missions are complex enough that any major bugs would have been found, and minor ones could have been fixed post season 6 launch.

No, it's not enough. Testing also includes the editor itself. It can be bugged as hell, as it is currently, with existing missions completely playable. We need to be able to test a mission creation from sctatch with the new elements, this is why we need to be able to export it to holodeck later, otherwise it's a waste of time.

It should be possible, but the only people who are responsible for this lack of community QA testing is the cryptic management. This is a bad decision; maybe the money invested in paying guys working for weeks on QA could be invested in creating the tools to allow us to make a good use of tribble. Bug hunting would go 20 times faster after that. This is only bad management, it's not related to players unwilling to help or whatever.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • captain01982captain01982 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    any updates to when the foundry will be back up?
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
    Website | Fleet Charter | Mission Statement | Forums | Join | F.A.Q.
    edited August 2012
    Nothing since it was taken down. Must we always beg for information? C'mon BranFlakes, throw us a bone. Can't you see this lack of Foundry is tearing us apart?
    edited August 2012
    Nothing since it was taken down. Must we always beg for information? C'mon BranFlakes, throw us a bone. Can't you see this lack of Foundry is tearing us apart?

I'm guessing the only "bone" he'd throw is is "there is no information to share at this time". Which is, of course, nonsense, because unless they have literally done *nothing* since it was taken down, some progress has to have been made.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2012

I know, it's driving me insane wanting to work on my project and all I can is more boring grinding. :(

I really wish he would tell us how long we are going to wait? Given these problems, its starting to feel like Season 4's disaster all over again.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    They don't have the tech to copy/past some files from a server to another one? :D

For those who aren't convinced that creating a good mission can take weeks, I'll just say I'm not paid to work 8h a day on it. I do it when I have some time for it. And that I do a lot of testing, many changes, many tweaking. At least my missions aren't perfect but I'm pretty sure they come with 0 bug.

That all assumes that Foundry missions are files...

That said, maybe we should send the Foundry a big "Get Well Soon" card and balloons.
  • ebeneezergoodeebeneezergoode Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    No offense, but trust is earned. And since I dont know you, I dont trust you any more than any other random joe posting on the forums.

None taken, that is why I said it was a terrible cop-out in the first place.
    linyive wrote: »
    Who are you again? What rules are you talking about? Why are you important? I think you said all that to deflect any opposition to your opinion. I do not think you really know what is happening. No one knows the exact specifics, for Perfect World has not said anything. We will have to wait and see.

Of course I said that to deflect any opposition to my opinion, it's how you oppose an opposing opinion, by offering up an argument or point to the contrary. I'm not trying to be important, merely set the record straight. In your post however, you illustrate my point; that people are assuming nobody knows because they don't know and the devs have said nothing. Anyone who was in OPVP after the incident with my @ handle flashing all over r.e. the NWS knows, so whilst not common knowledge, it's certainly not ultra secret either. The rule I'm referring to is the one regarding explaining exploits of course, which would get me some hot ban-hammer action in a short minute. The reason I've made the posts I have is to avoid unecessary accusations that this should have been picked up by people who don't know what was picked up or how, something akin to saying a football match had a terrible result without knowing the score or who was playing. Doing so whilst respecting the rules is obviously difficult at best.
    Do you realize that it takes weeks to build a good mission? And that we can't really see if there is a bug without building one? If we could import AND export (both are extremely important) our projects between tribble and holodeck, I would be happy to heavily help to test the thing, but the point is that if the devs wants us to test the foundry, they first have to give us the tools to test them. :)

Because testing is currently a pure waste of time for us.

I'm well aware of how painstaking and time consuming a good Foundry mission can be, I'm only just coming up to the end of my first one now and that might not even be good:o. However, this is not mission related.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kieterokietero Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Perhaps this server maintenance is a good sign...
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    kietero wrote: »
    Perhaps this server maintenance is a good sign...

Nothing about the foundry in the notes.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • foxhunt75foxhunt75 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Server up, Foundry down.
  • sl1ckm1stersl1ckm1ster Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    foxhunt75 wrote: »
    Server up, Foundry down.

Foundry, or Foundry *editor*?
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    gulberat, do you happen to remember which mission this was? It would be good to let the author know this happened, if you haven't done so already.

Not sure...I'd have to scroll through the list to see if I can find it again, but I should be able to.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • foxhunt75foxhunt75 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Foundry, or Foundry *editor*?

The Editor is still down.
    edited August 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    Nothing about the foundry in the notes.

They don't seem to be putting the Foundry editing/playing status in the notes. I suppose because turning those off and on does not require patching or downtime. If there is any movement, I'd expect it to be posted here.
  • zer0niusrexzer0niusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The Foundry editor has been re-enabled. :)
  • elcymerianelcymerian Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Is the reviewing system up as well or just editing?
    edited August 2012
    Wow, I conjured a dev post. A power I didn't even know I had! Ok now I'm thinking turkey sandwich... no? dang.
  • toslover#1432 toslover Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Wow, I conjured a dev post. A power I didn't even know I had! Ok now I'm thinking turkey sandwich... no? dang.

Nice hot mustard...good bread...the turkey's a little dry...

THE TURKEY'S A LITTLE DRY?!?!?!

OH, FOUL THE CURSED THING! WHAT DEMON FROM THE DEPTHS OF HELL CREATED THEE?!?!!?!?!

:D (seriously, though...AWESOME news! Now to go see if they put the TOS interiors back in!)
    2rbz410.jpg
  • zer0niusrexzer0niusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    elcymerian wrote: »
    Is the reviewing system up as well or just editing?

Reviewing still disabled. :)
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Any ETA on when ALL functions of The Foundry will be enabled? Before- or After Season 7 ?
    HvGQ9pH.png
This discussion has been closed.