test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My View on 2009 movie

jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Ten Forward
I got into Star Trek beacuse it had some aspects of science, and seemed realistic . I still think SOME parts of TOS still are, VOY really is me , science which some can be explained, and more in this seris than others. 2009 movie , well for me isn't Star Trek.
My reasons
The moments before the timeline got seperated the apollo class had changed; texture, weapons and size. Then the alternate timline aperead. The Enterprise just gets wierd. The weapons change , same as the apollo class, the size changes, bridge , Texture etc. But one thing that got to me was the bit when scotty and Krik were back on the Enterprise. The where huge "barrels" of radioactive things. What ? In Anti - matter matter reactions, Anti-matter, usally Anti Protons, would be collided with Dueterium, 1 proton , 1 nuetron. Dueterium is an isotope of Hydrogen. So what is this radioactive. 2: The bit where scotty was in that water tube. Again , what would that do for the engines ... nothing. so 2 pointless things that didn't need to be there. Another thing. Why the big fuss to disable the mining thing. You could just detonate the the red matter outside the planet and the blackhole will still suck it in anyway. Big deal. So forgive me but in todays language : It sucks
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
Post edited by jumpingjs on

Comments

• captwinters1701captwinters1701 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Oh No, here we go again! Everyone has their opinion on this movie, and no one here is going to change anyone else's opinion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shran86shran86 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Oh No, here we go again! Everyone has their opinion on this movie, and no one here is going to change anyone else's opinion.

Well spoken.

But I still do not like that JJAbrams blow up Vulcan.
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It's easy enough to discount in canon so love it or hate it, everyone's happy.
  • captrayvenwingcaptrayvenwing Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    There is only one good thing that came out of that movie. Star Trek V is no longer the worst star trek movie ever made
    The Account formally known as Rayvenwing
    Actual Join Date : Feb 2010

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    jumpingjs wrote: »
    I got into Star Trek beacuse it had some aspects of science, and seemed realistic . I still think SOME parts of TOS still are, VOY really is me , science which some can be explained, and more in this seris than others. 2009 movie , well for me isn't Star Trek.
    My reasons
    The moments before the timeline got seperated the apollo class had changed; texture, weapons and size. Then the alternate timline aperead. The Enterprise just gets wierd. The weapons change , same as the apollo class, the size changes, bridge , Texture etc. But one thing that got to me was the bit when scotty and Krik were back on the Enterprise. The where huge "barrels" of radioactive things. What ? In Anti - matter matter reactions, Anti-matter, usally Anti Protons, would be collided with Dueterium, 1 proton , 1 nuetron. Dueterium is an isotope of Hydrogen. So what is this radioactive. 2: The bit where scotty was in that water tube. Again , what would that do for the engines ... nothing. so 2 pointless things that didn't need to be there. Another thing. Why the big fuss to disable the mining thing. You could just detonate the the red matter outside the planet and the blackhole will still suck it in anyway. Big deal. So forgive me but in todays language : It sucks

All good points. Also, Krik? As if Chekov saying "Kurk" wasn't bad enough. (sure though, it DID make ONE good thing in that terrible thing they call a movie)

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Whatever your views on the movie, the 2009 movie breathed new life into Star Trek. That deserves some credit.

I like it. And I've seen all the other movies, including the other series, before anyone asks ;)
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    My reasons

You actually thought the water tubes were for the engines? No. That was part of the brewery for Scotty to make his real alcohol so he wouldn't have to get that stale, synthahol stuff. :P

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • c4ptain0bviou5c4ptain0bviou5 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    So forgive me but in todays language : It sucks

Riiight. In other words:

http://youtu.be/02LgdXVkXgM
  • goedzooigoedzooi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I hated the movie.
    I think they just made this movie just because they (desperately) needed money.

Even the star trek 1 spacedock scene was better.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi9wFGxSDYc
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (Or a pig)

Sorry if my English is bad.
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    There is only one good thing that came out of that movie. Star Trek V is no longer the worst star trek movie ever made

In YOUR opinion.

To me, Star Trek V is still the worst, while the 2009 movie ranks in my "Top 5" of the so-far 11 movies.
    HvGQ9pH.png
    edited August 2012
    meurik wrote: »
    In YOUR opinion.

To me, Star Trek V is still the worst, while the 2009 movie ranks in my "Top 5" of the so-far 11 movies.
    Gotta agree with that ;)

And on a general side note, the reason the 2009 Federation doesn't seem Trek? Because of Nero's interference, they had to be more militarily-focused, and much less exploration/science. Like a nicer Mirror Universe.

Yes, you can say that's not canon, but it's an alternate universe... it can't and won't follow all the established stuff by design. I've seen many who failed to grasp this.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
    edited August 2012
    In YOUR opinion.

Being ranked in the top five of the eleven isn't that much of a feat really when there were such movies as Star Trek V, Nemesis, TMP, etc. There were actually less very good to great Star Trek movies than there were craps.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
    edited August 2012
    The Mirror Universe (Evil Kirk, bearded Spock etc), is just as much part of canon, as the "Alternate Universe" (Chris Pine Kirk, Quinto Spock etc).

In essence we have 3 distinct timelines that are all part of the same Star Trek canon (regardless of how people choose to view it);

Prime Timeline (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT)
    Mirror Timeline (seen in episodes of TOS, DS9 and ENT)
    Alternate Timeline (2009 movie)

The only crossover I would see, is that ENT may already be part of the same "Alternate Timeline", and thus an additional cause to the advancement in tech compared to TOS. ENT also had the First Contact Borg (from the sphere destroyed by Picard and crew), and the ships name may in fact be influenced by Picard and crew revealing the name of THEIR ship to Cochrane (Enterprise-E). In Voyager, there was a fake ship with registry NX-01-A named Dauntless, and nobody complained about it not being "NX-01-A Enterprise". It's likely to assume that VOY's original NX-01 was named Dauntless.
    Being ranked in the top five of the eleven isn't that much of a feat really when there were such movies as Star Trek V, Nemesis, TMP, etc. There were actually less very good to great Star Trek movies than there were craps.

I'll list my personal top 5 (from 1st to 5th), for clarification then:

Wrath of Khan (ST2)
    First Contact (ST8)
    Star Trek (ST11)
    Undiscovered Country (ST6)
    Voyage Home (ST4)

Followed by (in descending order);

TMP (ST1)
    Search for Spock (ST3)
    Insurrection (ST9)
    Generations (ST7)
    Nemesis (ST10)
    Final Frontier (ST5)

With the exception of "Star Trek" from 2009, I believe it's pretty common to have atleast 2 of the 4 in "Top 5". Just because you don't like a movie, doesn't mean everyone else should hate it as well.
    HvGQ9pH.png
    edited August 2012
    The Mirror Universe (Evil Kirk, bearded Spock etc), is just as much part of canon, as the "Alternate Universe" (Chris Pine Kirk, Quinto Spock etc).

In essence we have 3 distinct timelines that are all part of the same Star Trek canon (regardless of how people choose to view it);

Prime Timeline (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT)
    Mirror Timeline (seen in episodes of TOS, DS9 and ENT)
    Alternate Timeline (2009 movie)

The only crossover I would see, is that ENT may already be part of the same "Alternate Timeline", and thus an additional cause to the advancement in tech compared to TOS. ENT also had the First Contact Borg (from the sphere destroyed by Picard and crew), and the ships name may in fact be influenced by Picard and crew revealing the name of THEIR ship to Cochrane (Enterprise-E). In Voyager, there was a fake ship with registry NX-01-A named Dauntless, and nobody complained about it not being "NX-01-A Enterprise". It's likely to assume that VOY's original NX-01 was named Dauntless.

Yes, ENT is part of the JJ timeline because the divergence happened when the Kelvin detected the Narrada and went to investigate, which took place after ENT. As far as why the tech is different, one of the writers said that surviving crew members of the Kelvin brought back the sensor scans of the Narrada, which influenced Starfleet's development going forward.
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Changing the past changes the future which changes further in the past, erasing or manipulating pre-destination paradoxes etc, by bla bla physics or treknobabble the Alternate Reality would have a different past.

But seeing as how the alternate 2387 follows the same stardate pattern I think it's just one separate universe. Everyone has their different interpretations I suppose.
    edited August 2012
    Yes, ENT is part of the JJ timeline because the divergence happened when the Kelvin detected the Narrada and went to investigate, which took place after ENT. As far as why the tech is different, one of the writers said that surviving crew members of the Kelvin brought back the sensor scans of the Narrada, which influenced Starfleet's development going forward.

I prefer to think of it like this;

In the original un-altered "prime universe", the original NX-01 was named Dauntless, and was far less advanced than the NX-01 "Enterprise". According to some sources, ships were limited to Warp 1.8 - Warp 2.5 back in the "Romulan / Earth War" era (2155-2160).

After Picard and crew from the Enterprise-E traveled back in time to 2063 and met Zefram Cochrane, they brought with them a few changes to the timeline (which may, or may not have "rippled" through time back to their era of 2373). Changes such as revealing a future advanced ship named 'Enterprise'. The Borg remains in the North Pole, and Cochrane's own accounts of "cybernetic beings from the future", may have caused Starfleet to advance more rapidly in technology than it otherwise would've. Leading to the advanced Warp 5 ship, Enterprise well before the start of the Romulan / Earth War.

Lastly, in 2233 Nero (from the prime universe) appears and destroys the USS Kelvin, leaving a few hundred survivors, and a bunch of sensor scans of his super advanced ship. This knowledge may have SIGNIFICANTLY sped up Starfleets level of development to a point which far exceeds what would've been, in the "prime universe" of the same time period.

In short; you have 2 major technology bumps along the road between 2063 and 2233, both caused by influence of advanced beings from the future causing changes in the timeline.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • thoroonthoroon Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I liked the movie, I got well entertained while watching it, and this is what counts for me when I watch an actionoriented movie.

I sometimes find it really strange why JJ Trek should be the worst movie ever made in trek history.
    It lacks things, I don't question that. Nero was more annoying, than a villain.
    The Narada overwhelmingly underwhelming in the end.
    The refreshed Enterprise crew was cool though, and all tried to be a fresh version of the classic edition. Keeping the classic feeling of each character, while adding something on their own. I really liked and welcomed that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    thoroon wrote: »
    I liked the movie, I got well entertained while watching it, and this is what counts for me when I watch an actionoriented movie.

I sometimes find it really strange why JJ Trek should be the worst movie ever made in trek history.
    The refreshed Enterprise crew was cool though, and all tried to be a fresh version of the classic edition. Keeping the classic feeling of each character, while adding something on their own. I really liked and welcomed that.
    The reason many think that is because of the simple 'No science' and 'more firepower' aspects... despite the fact they are justified by that universe's Federation developing differently than the prime one.

But no... many just reacted instantly without thinking, I think.
    Was named Trek17.

edited August 2012

I'll list my personal top 5 (from 1st to 5th), for clarification then:

Wrath of Khan (ST2)
    First Contact (ST8)
    Star Trek (ST11)
    Undiscovered Country (ST6)
    Voyage Home (ST4)

Followed by (in descending order);

TMP (ST1)
    Search for Spock (ST3)
    Insurrection (ST9)
    Generations (ST7)
    Nemesis (ST10)
    Final Frontier (ST5)

With the exception of "Star Trek" from 2009, I believe it's pretty common to have atleast 2 of the 4 in "Top 5". Just because you don't like a movie, doesn't mean everyone else should hate it as well.

Your top 5 probably is a top 5 of many but in a different order of the five. 2009 barely makes my top five but only because there are 6 movies I have a hard time ranking ahead of it because they were not that good themselves.

• enemyoffateenemyoffate Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The new movie was about as good as Lost, and by that i mean it made no sense, had no direction, and you were mad because it was ruining the characters by how bad the director is. Why wasn't Frakes, or any other halfway competant director chosen. :eek::confused::confused:
    Plato Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
    Plato
    edited August 2012
    The new movie was about as good as Lost, and by that i mean it made no sense, had no direction, and you were mad because it was ruining the characters by how bad the director is. Why wasn't Frakes, or any other halfway competant director chosen. :eek::confused::confused:
    Oh great... another who didn't understand Lost's true meaning.

Lost was the best show of it's kind. It raised more questions than answers, but that was it's appeal, in addition to the constant shock moments and mysterious happenings. And anyone would could keep hold of multiple threads could easily understand the show, even if some things remained open.

Lost was a show for those who wanted a mental challenge ;)
    Was named Trek17.

edited August 2012
    trek21 wrote: »

Oh great...another person who thinks that not liking something means you dont understand it. Well just FYI, it is possible to both understand something *and* not like it ;)
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I hated it, and I'm big fan of Trek. Couldn't stomach to watch after 5 mins of the movie, and wanted to puke. Lucky for me I saw it on TV, so i didn't have to bug the theater manager for my $ back. I will never see another JJ and Trek combined into a show again. To me it didn't breath life into the franchise that is for sure. I saw B rated movies lot better than this. And this was worse.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • goedzooigoedzooi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012

And it had to much lens flare...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (Or a pig)

Sorry if my English is bad.
  • mingtran2mingtran2 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    My reasons

Normally, Trekkies hate the 2009 movie simply because of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkCW4TkLBfo
  • seanftdseanftd Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The reason many think that is because of the simple 'No science' and 'more firepower' aspects... despite the fact they are justified by that universe's Federation developing differently than the prime one.

But no... many just reacted instantly without thinking, I think.

Fair point that there's no science , however I'm sure we can forgive this on one movie. I doubt science gets used constantly in every single situation. And in terms more fire power arnt we all playing a game in which we all need to be armed to the teeth and carrying a whole load of firepower?
    thoroon wrote: »

I agree it's a good movie , as many said lacking in multiple areas, however the trek name really pretty much died off after enterprise did if not? So isn't it good just to have the name getting back out there. Also it's tht first time jj has been involved with the trek universe is it not let him get broken in lol.

Personally I really enjoyed this film, took me a while to get past the new constitution design and oh how I hate the new transporter effect lol but beyond that it was descent . Not by any means the worst movie. I mean cmon worse than TMP please.
    edited August 2012
    farmallm wrote: »
    I hated it, and I'm big fan of Trek. Couldn't stomach to watch after 5 mins of the movie, and wanted to puke. Lucky for me I saw it on TV, so i didn't have to bug the theater manager for my $ back. I will never see another JJ and Trek combined into a show again. To me it didn't breath life into the franchise that is for sure. I saw B rated movies lot better than this. And this was worse.

Bit over the top me thinks , I mean u wanted to puke!! Naa

And after 5 mins u made up your mind, not really giving it a chance atall. Also I think most people are just taking back because it's differrant, I'm not saying better because I still preffer traditional trek but this is now part of trek weather you all like it or not.
    edited August 2012

Lost was the best show of it's kind. It raised more questions than answers, but that was it's appeal, in addition to the constant shock moments and mysterious happenings. And anyone would could keep hold of multiple threads could easily understand the show, even if some things remained open.

Lost was a show for those who wanted a mental challenge ;)

Lost was good for about 2 season then got well ****e!!
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Why does everybody hate TMP so much? :confused:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • thoroonthoroon Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Why does everybody hate TMP so much? :confused:

It was way too long for the story. It had elements interesting: "upgraded" klingons, elements of phase II etc.
    But the storypremise was too short for such a long movie (nearly 2 hours?).

Which made it boring over the course, and hardly to remember for anything else that way.

Something which was avoided for Wrath of Khan, which made it one of the fan favs.
    It built up on a known storyline and extending it to a full length movie.

Search for Spock then made the same mistake, having lots of "time" for much to few storyline.

And so on.

If anyone is interested, Nostalgia Critic had Star Trek Month this year, and talked about the odd number movies. Taking the comedic part away, it usually fits my opinion about the movies, why they weren't that great of a film.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]