What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My View on 2009 movie

13»

Comments

• jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Anyone going to see 2013 movie?
    Thing is I hate JJ trek but there is a over whelming feel to go and see 2013 movie, sorry guys but I am going to see it, even it I hate it all over.:(
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • chrisedallen89chrisedallen89 Member Posts: 17,293 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    jumpingjs wrote: »
    Thing is I hate JJ trek but there is a over whelming feel to go and see 2013 movie, sorry guys but I am going to see it, even it I hate it all over.:(

I will go see it so I can form a better opinion of this reboot.

But if the first movie and the serial works are any indication I do not approve.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Nope, I will save my money and see a better movie. Looking at a few trailers for 2013 release there will be a few movies to see instead.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • jamesbond2012jamesbond2012 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Gentlemen,
    may I remind you that we live in the 21st century. You cannot make a movie and have it mirror that of the ones in the 1960s. The Enterprise ALWAYS has to look futuristic, beyond our technological capability yet not beyond our mental comprehension. The ship must also look sleek, it cannot look entirely like the original series and still be called state-of-the-art. And as for the weapons, disruptor looking weapons are musch more mature looking and more realistic than the beams we all see. Say what you want, but the cannons take on a more realistic approach becasue it actually FIRES instead of cutting. The cannon phasers, in my opinion, mirror that of Star Wars' turbolasers. They actually hit the hull instead of just burning it.

As for Vulcan's destruction, you cannot create a black hole on the outside and expect it to consume the planet. The planet is massive and has a sun with a gravitational pull of it's own that it orbits around. All that would be accomplished with an external singularity would be that you suck up some stuff off of the surface. The planet itself may be pulled out of it's normal orbit, but by the time the black hole would do anything big, the planet would possibly be already moved on. You would have to make a black hole in the center of Vulcan to ensure maximim destruction. Because even if Vulcan itself wasn't consumed by the entity, just having the core sucked away would evidently cause the planet to suffer drastic seismic changes and the planet would die with most of everyone still on it. Whether directly or indirectly, placing a black hole in the center of Vulcan would destroy the planet and all life on it's surface.

The only thing I thought could have been done better was the torpedoes. And no, they are not quantum torpedos, they are photon. They are only blue becasue the ship is based off of the 1960s TV show. quantums were not developed in Kirk's time. And in addition, quantums would produce more of a punch than what is seen in the movie. Quantums would make small ships go out like a star. But the one thing they should have done better on was the sound they made when they were being fired. They should have had more of a punch, more of a boom as they left the torpedo launcher. they should have had more of a "Sha-BLOOOM Sha-BLOOOM" not "pling pling pling". That's my only negative on that.

Oh yes, and they should have done something about checkov's hair. It's not red nor curly. They should have dyed it and fixed it to be straight, and if not, put a wig on it.

That's it, that's all I have to say. Thank you for your time.

"There are men who are coming to kill us. We're going to kill them first." --James Bond, from the upcoming movie 007: Skyfall
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The Bridge and transporter room were well done sets, thank God the sets were not the cheesy angular plywood knockups of the 60s. My only complaint with the bridge is the one that I have with all of the Star Trek shows, the bridge is too brightly lit, it's space and the crew is looking out a window into the black of space, in this case an actual window not simply a holoviewer, under those circumstance it's makes sense that illumination should be just sufficient for the crew to see their instruments, not be so bright that it washes what is on view in front of them. That said, it's a movie, the bridge is where most of the action is and you want to see the actors faces so I let that go.
    But the Bridge and Transporter room were the only futuristic sets in the film, the rest for the ship weren't futuristic, they were comical, I expected Lavern and Shirley come stumbling around a corner at any moment.

As for Chekov yes we all know he did not have curly red hair, but at the same time Scotty did not have male pattern baldness, so I think allowances should also be made for the actors as is expected for the ship, thank God they didn't force a 60s Davey Jones wave hairdo on Chekov, that would make what is already a comic relief character into a complete clown.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Right.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. After watching a few episodes of Lost I came to the conclusion that they had no idea what they wanted to do with the show, or even what direction to take it. Year's later I watched the series finale, and I realised...

...that I had missed absolutely nothing.
    Sense of direction in a show is not required to enjoy it. Not for me :D;)
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    As for Vulcan's destruction, you cannot create a black hole on the outside and expect it to consume the planet. The planet is massive and has a sun with a gravitational pull of it's own that it orbits around. All that would be accomplished with an external singularity would be that you suck up some stuff off of the surface. The planet itself may be pulled out of it's normal orbit, but by the time the black hole would do anything big, the planet would possibly be already moved on. You would have to make a black hole in the center of Vulcan to ensure maximim destruction. Because even if Vulcan itself wasn't consumed by the entity, just having the core sucked away would evidently cause the planet to suffer drastic seismic changes and the planet would die with most of everyone still on it. Whether directly or indirectly, placing a black hole in the center of Vulcan would destroy the planet and all life on it's surface.

Well if you have a black hole the gravity will pull it in anyway. Even if it was moved, we are talking about space which is capable of sucking in Photons. And if Vulcan does move it can do catastrophic damage to the eco system. So that part of the film was rubbish. What about those Radiation warnign signs,no need for them onboard a starship. Those water pipes : What for? And finally They changed the ship entirely
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • enemyoffateenemyoffate Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Gentlemen,
    may I remind you that we live in the 21st century. You cannot make a movie and have it mirror that of the ones in the 1960s. The Enterprise ALWAYS has to look futuristic, beyond our technological capability yet not beyond our mental comprehension. The ship must also look sleek, it cannot look entirely like the original series and still be called state-of-the-art. And as for the weapons, disruptor looking weapons are musch more mature looking and more realistic than the beams we all see. Say what you want, but the cannons take on a more realistic approach becasue it actually FIRES instead of cutting. The cannon phasers, in my opinion, mirror that of Star Wars' turbolasers. They actually hit the hull instead of just burning it.

The only thing I thought could have been done better was the torpedoes. And no, they are not quantum torpedos, they are photon. They are only blue becasue the ship is based off of the 1960s TV show. quantums were not developed in Kirk's time. And in addition, quantums would produce more of a punch than what is seen in the movie. Quantums would make small ships go out like a star. But the one thing they should have done better on was the sound they made when they were being fired. They should have had more of a punch, more of a boom as they left the torpedo launcher. they should have had more of a "Sha-BLOOOM Sha-BLOOOM" not "pling pling pling". That's my only negative on that.

Oh yes, and they should have done something about checkov's hair. It's not red nor curly. They should have dyed it and fixed it to be straight, and if not, put a wig on it.

That's it, that's all I have to say. Thank you for your time.

"There are men who are coming to kill us. We're going to kill them first." --James Bond, from the upcoming movie 007: Skyfall

You know they could've avoided having problems with things looking more futuristic. If they went into the future from DS9, instead of back into an alternate universe and centuries behind. This is where ST: Enterprise went array. :D
    Plato Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
    Plato
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Where Enterprise went astray is by not telling teh story it was meant to tell. How humans went from First Contact to Kirk. The birth of the Federation, meeting all these new species, like Vulcans, Andorians, Klingons etc. developing and learning all this new tech. A ton of exploration and explore the human spirit stories in there, but they failed to deliver. Only happened in Series 4, when Manny Coto took over. But the damage was done by then. Although yes, I am a big Enterprise fan.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • enemyoffateenemyoffate Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    grylak wrote: »
    Where Enterprise went astray is by not telling teh story it was meant to tell. How humans went from First Contact to Kirk. The birth of the Federation, meeting all these new species, like Vulcans, Andorians, Klingons etc. developing and learning all this new tech. A ton of exploration and explore the human spirit stories in there, but they failed to deliver. Only happened in Series 4, when Manny Coto took over. But the damage was done by then. Although yes, I am a big Enterprise fan.

Great point. As far as telling a prequel, it's hard to keep it on course without muddying future water.
    Plato Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
    Plato
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    grylak wrote: »
    How humans went from First Contact to Kirk.

The greatest backwards step known to man.
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Great point. As far as telling a prequel, it's hard to keep it on course without muddying future water.

Not really. You just have to be aware of what the future stories have told. Ok, that is an insane amount of future stories in the case of Star Trek, but season 4 proved it is possible. We had that Eugenics arc that speared into the Klingon arc that ended up being a surprise twist of (essentially) a 5 part episode that told us why Klingons in Kirk had smooth foreheads and didn't act like the TNG era Klingons.

We had the mirror Universe ep, that while didn't really have much at all to do with the main universe, did include the fate of the TOS Defiant in a nice little bit of fanwanky.

We had Romulans being the villains for a couple of episodes, being able to see them on screen (And Romulus. Yay!) without having them see anyone visually, keeping cannon with what was established with them in their first TOS episode.

We had the vulcans turn into the Vulcans we know and love, including characters on screen that were seen in TOS, thanks to Surak and his Katra.

We had problems dealing with the invention of the transporter, other than people just being scared to use it.

And none of it needed any screwy time travel to pave over the cracks of broken cannon. Because there weren't any. I honestly wish Manny Coto had been in charge of Enterprise from the beginning. Just think of the wonderous series we could have had.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Season 4 of ENT has some great episodes but ENT would've been terrible if it were nothing but TOS prequels.
  • xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
    edited August 2012
    JJ = Not Star Trek. I thought this was a known fact.

It's too bad that he apparently was allowed to make 5 films...the man should not be touching a franchise he was no idea about. Hense all the Star Wars easter eggs in the 2009 film alone.

The JJ'verse makes no sense what so ever as it was haha. Literally rewrote things to make his universe "work." Aka Kirk being born on a starship, having 24th century tech in Kirk's time, etc.

"Star Trek" 2009 lost aeverything that Star Trek was about..and that was the main reason why I loath JJ and his perversion of Star Trek.
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    Season 4 of ENT has some great episodes but ENT would've been terrible if it were nothing but TOS prequels.

The next would-have-been season of ENT was going to be the Romulan-Earth War. As far as prequels go ENT would have just used things (via NX-Refit Class) that gave nods that showed thigns would lead up to TOS + .

If only ENTERPRISE didn't start on UPN....that was the biggest mistake of all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
    Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I got into Star Trek beacuse it had some aspects of science, and seemed realistic . I still think SOME parts of TOS still are, VOY really is me , science which some can be explained, and more in this seris than others. 2009 movie , well for me isn't Star Trek.

Your opinion was suspect when you claimed to like Voyager. Either that, or you are yanking our chains. :eek: