test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to change saved user name in game client?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Launcher successfully remembers my perfect world login since the game forced me to create one, however when I log out of one character to another the saved login is my old one.

Nothing I have tried will change it
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Next question. Just what the hell does one have to do to get any responce around here?
    edited January 2012
    The username for the launcher is remembered using a registry key (which I cannot look up and post at the moment, because I'm not at home). I'm not sure if this will also change the ingame login name.

In your STO directory (or is it the userdata directory :confused: I'll look this up when I'm at home) there is somewhere a text/configuration file where the account name is stored. Maybe this is the one used to remember the ingame login name.

If it's neither the registry tweak nor the configfile it might be a bug in the linked Cryptic-PWE-Account-Management.

As I said, I'll lookup the above mentioned when I'm at home and post it here.
    edited January 2012
    I'm at home at last... =)

Ok, this is the registrykey:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cryptic\Cryptic Launcher]
    "UserName"="THISisYOURusername"

And the textfile I mentioned can be found here:

<INSTALLDIR>\StarTrekOnline\Live\Localdata\Gameprefs.Pref

look for the line starting with

PrefEntry Login.Username

For me it was sufficent to change the registryvalue.
    edited January 2012
    I appreciate the help, but both that registry entry and the preference file show my new username. Indeed, when I login from launcher it's my old name.

The problem is when I logout (to switch characters) it's my old usename again
    edited February 2012
    I'm having the same problem. I've tried searching every file in the STO directory, as well as the entire Windows registry, for my old username. No dice.

EDIT: I also looked for a per-user and system-wide AppData directory (under C:\Users\username and C:\ProgramData), and I couldn't find and STO data there at all.

EDIT 2: Gaaaah! Further frustration: When I load GameClient.exe directly, rather than running Star Trek Online.exe, it shows my correct, new username. When I excitedly reloaded via the STO Launcher, it reverted back to the old name. Perhaps this is an issue on Cryptic's servers, where it sends you the username at some point during the login process. This seems to be an edge case for those of us who converted from Cryptic accounts to PWE accounts.
  • realmysticgrealmysticg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Launcher successfully remembers my perfect world login since the game forced me to create one, however when I log out of one character to another the saved login is my old one.

Nothing I have tried will change it
    Did you ever find a solution to this? I have the same problem having been forced to change to a perfect world account and no longer being able to have the same username (for reasons best known to Perfect World/Cryptic).
  • haelishaelis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The problem is on PWE's end. Their database server is the problem. I first reported this to them over 6 months ago. No fix yet. In fact no response yet. Seems like in 6 months someone could fix a database error. Oh well guess not. BTW there are several threads about this problem. None have a solution or reply from PWE or Cryptic. Would be nice.
    And I'm old, not dead.
    If your're so smart how come you don't own everything? :D
    Proud Member of Starfleet Elite Task Force & Klingon Elite Task Force for 4 yrs
  • cptranger01cptranger01 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Even with a fresh format it still reverts to your Cryptic name.
    Captain Ranger
    Liberated Borg
    Career Officer
    The Phoenix Division
  • felomaksfelomaks Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I suspect this is the same problem TRIBBLE up my Neverwinter access, since I seem to have one "Display name" for STO and Champs, and one for Neverwinter. I couldn't find a reg entry at the location given above for it, and adding the pref login line to my launcher .prefs didn't help either. Humm.
  • e2c0bare2c0bar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Start STO direct without the launcher:
    (....\star trek online\Star Trek Online\Live\GameClient.exe)

Mark "remember Login" -> log in -> it can happen that the account server is unrecheable but that dosnt matter (dosnt know why...) -> close STO -> start STO normal like every day -> try if it works.

I discovered that accidentally becouse i was fixing a other problem with my launcher.

I know that problem is very old and i hope you can fix it.

PS: I hope you understand what I wrote, english is not my nativ language. :)