test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Beam out FX

eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,022 Arc User
Just want to see what the general concensus was to an idea I have.

We can customise uniforms, comm badges, rank pips, bridges etc. Beam out FX has changed over the Star Trek years. So as we are able to customise uniforms to Kirk's era etc. Would players like to have a choice of beam out FX too.

If you like this idea why don't we suggest it to the Devs.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    sdkraustsdkraust Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I would rather Cryptic add actual content.
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    flip communicators and proper (TOS) beam outs would be highly valued
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    flip communicators and proper (TOS) beam outs would be highly valued

Nice one hadn't thought about flip communicators. My only fear is if our ideas were introduced they would become z store items and at the moment many people are saying the new EV suits are priced too high, how much zen would these cost.
  • Options
    captpeacemakercaptpeacemaker Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Would rather see more actual content
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Thowchum
    Legendary Starfleet Captain
    Fleet Leader, The Abductors
    STO Forum Member since December 2010
    Welcome to Star Trek Online, where our motto is 'Peace through Superior Firepower.'
  • Options
    captrayvenwingcaptrayvenwing Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Both of these were requests 2 years ago. Doubt we will ever see them or the TOS tricorder that was also requested
    The Account formally known as Rayvenwing
    Actual Join Date : Feb 2010

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'd be all for it if it meant they'd finally fix the wierded out hair whenever you beam anywhere.

Course, I don't mind the whole "beaming in the skirt last" thing all the transporter chiefs seem to enjoy. Don't change that.
  • Options
    captrayvenwingcaptrayvenwing Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Thats because its not your butt in a thong hanging out there for god and the world to see
    The Account formally known as Rayvenwing
    Actual Join Date : Feb 2010

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Zen cost is completely unimportant
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2012
    This will likely be an unpopular stance, but I actually think there is such a thing as too much customization. In the universe of our game, Starfleet would surely have a technology standard, and all Starfleet vessels would be using the same transporter technology (or at least within a firmware update or two.)
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Beam outs are not consistant even in individual series

And im sure starfleet would go with the most efficient (TOS) which is after all less graphics
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    sl1ckm1stersl1ckm1ster Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    tacofangs wrote: »
    This will likely be an unpopular stance, but I actually think there is such a thing as too much customization. In the universe of our game, Starfleet would surely have a technology standard, and all Starfleet vessels would be using the same transporter technology (or at least within a firmware update or two.)

So why is there a TOS interior again? Wouldnt Starfleet have at least replaced the computer systems with modern tech?
  • Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited August 2012

How about the people in non standard Federation ships though? Would, if this example ever were true, the Federation rip out every system in a Klingon warship to use Fed-tech? Hmm maybe need to make the case for transporter effects in doomsday machine now...
  • Options
    hatepwehatepwe Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited August 2012

I agree with this. There are only a small handful of times where the effect wouldn't be the same: TOS Connie (Geordi said such tech was largely unchanged from Scotty's time so for historic accuracy I could see the Corp of Engineers keeping essentially the same tech) and the various Species-specific ships (Caitian, Vulcan, Gorn, Naussican, Orion).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    captainbaldycaptainbaldy Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Totally agree
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I could see it if the transporter effect were tied to the ship you are using (ie: use the TOS Connie and you get the TOS transporter effect) beyond that however, player selectable effects may be taking it a bit too far.
  • Options
    cratchmastercratchmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I really don't think having a variety of transporter effects brings a whole lot to the game. However, if all of these lockbox ships were acquired and refitted by Ferengi merchants, wouldn't it make sense that THEY would have a common transporter effect (ferengi style effect) rather than fed for fed toons and Klingon for Klingon toons? Might be a prestige thing for ground characters and may help boost master key or lockbox ship sales. Or maybe not. Just a thought IF transporter effects were introduced.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    hatepwe wrote: »
    I agree with this. There are only a small handful of times where the effect wouldn't be the same: TOS Connie (Geordi said such tech was largely unchanged from Scotty's time so for historic accuracy I could see the Corp of Engineers keeping essentially the same tech) and the various Species-specific ships (Caitian, Vulcan, Gorn, Naussican, Orion).

Mostly the same isn't the same as exactly the same. If I were trusting a machine to send my molecules to an alien planet or even just to a starbase, I'd definitely want it to be the latest and presumably most modern version possible.
  • Options
    palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Agreed......this would be logical, and I would prefer new content.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2012

Fair statement. But the thing I appreciate more than anything is this response has come from Cryptic. It is extremely appreciated that someone in authority (so to speak) has taken the time to respond to a players idea directly. I recently had a thread on here about being under valued as player basically without seeing the full picture I (and I'm guilty as charged) started following the rest in being annoyed with the season 6 bug and them not being fixed fast enough. An email changed my stance on that and your reply also goes to prove that. Although it may not be seen at first this reply DOES go to prove that Cryptic are listening to players and IS taking note of players needs and possible wishes.
  • Options
    woerligenwoerligen Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    tangolight wrote: »
    Mostly the same isn't the same as exactly the same. If I were trusting a machine to send my molecules to an alien planet or even just to a starbase, I'd definitely want it to be the latest and presumably most modern version possible.

Definitely. However, maybe the technology is exactly the same, just the effect is different. Think of the in-game standard and TOS phasers. Different look, same tech.

If the transporter FX ever becomes selectable, I expect the first varieties available will be those from the series, i.e. Starfleet from ENT, TOS, TNG (series + Nemesis) and VOY.

As far as I remember, the game code allows for colour change only, so far. (Compare the current in-game transporter effects, they should look all the same but for colour.)
    Leipzig University, 1409-2409
  • Options
    lpthomasmariklpthomasmarik Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012

You really want to go there? Starflet would have a technology standard for their ships as well. We wouldn't be mix matching classes like we are now. Starfleet would also have a Uniform standard. Starfleet would also have a standard when it comes to the type or weapon systems we use both in space and on teh ground. The maintenance alone on multiple types of weapons, to say nothing of the power requirments for each being completely different, would be a nightmare.

Yes it makes sense for Starfleet to have a tech standard but that ship has long since sailed.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You really want to go there? Starflet would have a technology standard for their ships as well. We wouldn't be mix matching classes like we are now. Starfleet would also have a Uniform standard. Starfleet would also have a standard when it comes to the type or weapon systems we use both in space and on teh ground. The maintenance alone on multiple types of weapons, to say nothing of the power requirments for each being completely different, would be a nightmare.

Yes it makes sense for Starfleet to have a tech standard but that ship has long since sailed.

Yuppers, canon has been out the window since the game basically started. :P
  • Options
    sp4cecomm4ndersp4cecomm4nder Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Tumberboy's post is just a typical example of the contradictory logic the dev team uses. Whenever *they* want to do something that doesnt technically make sense, they come up with a lame excuse about a group of engineers wanting to build a replica of an NX or people getting to choose their own uniforms in STO's time period. But if its something we're asking for that they *dont* want to do, suddenly they pretend like things should make sense. It is a blatantly obvious double standard.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2012

I don't disagree. Starfleet would have standards for all of those things. I think it's reasonable to sacrifice some standards for enjoyability of a game like this, where the choice is a much more personal level, like which ship you fly, or which costume you wear. For something you, your personal character, would have no direct control over (such as transporters) I think it is less reasonable.

But, this is my personal opinion, and has no bearing on anything that goes on in reality. This isn't something I have any control over, and is not something that I would expect to see.

Tumberboy's post is just a typical example of the contradictory logic the dev team uses. Whenever *they* want to do something that doesnt technically make sense, they come up with a lame excuse about a group of engineers wanting to build a replica of an NX or people getting to choose their own uniforms in STO's time period. But if its something we're asking for that they *dont* want to do, suddenly they pretend like things should make sense. It is a blatantly obvious double standard.

This is no double standard, this is my personal opinion, that is all. What I want has nothing to do with what happens, and if other devs feel that chooseable transporter FX are important, they will make it happen.

On another note, Star Trek is filled with hand wavey nonsense to rationalize the existence or lack of existence of something. Movies, games, TV shows and others do this kind of stuff all the time. I don't know why STO should be held to a different standard. While I would love it if everything made perfect sense in game, it obviously does not, and never will. :::shrug:::
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    This is no double standard, this is my personal opinion, that is all. What I want has nothing to do with what happens, and if other devs feel that chooseable transporter FX are important, they will make it happen.

Are you designing this game for yourselves or for the players? If the former, then please let us know now so we can stop wasting time making requests. But if the latter, then what the players want should be more important than whether you or someone else on the team may personally want customizable transporters.
    On another note, Star Trek is filled with hand wavey nonsense to rationalize the existence or lack of existence of something. Movies, games, TV shows and others do this kind of stuff all the time. I don't know why STO should be held to a different standard. While I would love it if everything made perfect sense in game, it obviously does not, and never will. :::shrug:::

If that is the logic you want to use, then fine. But that means we could also come up with an equally "hand wavey nonsense" excuse to rationalize why different transporters may look differently. You just said yourself, there is no double standard. So if you are ok with "hand wavey nonsense" then you cant suddenly not be ok with it.
  • Options
    atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Are you designing this game for yourselves or for the players? If the former, then please let us know now so we can stop wasting time making requests. But if the latter, then what the players want should be more important than whether you or someone else on the team may personally want customizable transporters.
    TacoFangs' paygrade doesn't extend to making decisions; only to doing the work that is assigned to him.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    TacoFangs' paygrade doesn't extend to making decisions; only to doing the work that is assigned to him.

That same statement *should* apply to all of the devs except the upper management. But he said:
    if other devs feel that chooseable transporter FX are important, they will make it happen.

So unless he was only referring to Dan and Jack, it sounds like he is giving other team members more decision making power than they really have.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I asked about this in last months Question and answer thread
    I got an answer

it was a "maybe" to my flip top communicator
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    That same statement *should* apply to all of the devs except the upper management. But he said:

So unless he was only referring to Dan and Jack, it sounds like he is giving other team members more decision making power than they really have.
    Or Al Rivera. Or Whoever the lead artist is.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Q: (sollvax) Any chance of seeing TOS communicators and transporter effects made available as an option?

Dstahl: There is a good chance that you?ll see these sorts of options pop up as either episode rewards or new items in the C-Store down the road.

julys ask cryptic
    Live long and Prosper