Options

Foundry eta?

124»

Comments

• Options
    paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    blargskull wrote: »
    First what resources are being used? Disk space to store even the largest script is about roughly 250KB and even if there was 10,000 missions on the server, you would have at most 2.5 to 3 GB on server drives rated in petabytes. So I don't see them as a waste. This guy is just saying this to start a riot.

I took the "waste of resources" comment as meaning human resources, as in the notion that every one of Cryptic's/PWE's staff that's tied up with the Foundry is one fewer person who would otherwise be writing new Cryptic missions, or working out bugs elsewhere in the game, or whatever.

Of course, it's closer to the truth that every one of Cryptic's/PWE's staff that's tied up with the Foundry is one fewer person who would otherwise be getting kicked to the curb, followed by the unemployment line, by Cryptic or PWE. So, all things considered, I'd rather they keep them on the Foundry.
  • Options
    asheistheravenasheistheraven Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hah

Last I heard season 4 wasn't a disaster... at least that's what the suck ups kept saying. Now all of a sudden season six is a slow on Foundry and people think season 4 was a disaster...

Oh this is almost ironic
  • Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hah

Last I heard season 4 wasn't a disaster... at least that's what the suck ups kept saying. Now all of a sudden season six is a slow on Foundry and people think season 4 was a disaster...

Oh this is almost ironic

S4 was a charlie foxtrot when it came to the Foundry and thats because of the reactions on both sides of the fence. Alot of the disaster part came from the fact that missions were broken and noone could stop the 1 star hits they were taking, which are sadly still vital to getting plays for a mission.

this has just been agonizingly annoying because:
    1)people who want to get the easy dilithium from the foundry wrapper cannot, annoying them
    2)authors who were working on projects and almost done, cannot, annoying them
    3)the main feedback is that this is a priority and it will be back soon, but we are at 14 days now and that is, you guessed it, annoying me(them)

So S6 shouldnt be considered a disaster, because no ratings were harmed during the course of this release, but it would be rather nice if we could work out the kinks that lead into the foundry being down for an indeterminate amount of time on even releases

(On a complete sidenote it looks like the Foundry has the opposite state of affairs from the movies, wherein its the Even Seasons that task us, and the off seasons go by 'smoothly')
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It's a matter of whether there was a major change to the foundry. S5 had a few updates to foundry but nothing major. S6 has BIG changes to the way it works. S4 also had big changes, but they weren't tested quite as well.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    neuro1gneuro1g Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I've been playing this game for a little less than 2 months and once I leveled my character and got the good gear, I found the STFs and other group activities fun at first but quickly became bored with them; though here and there I still enjoy them. It was my discovery of the foundry at this point that kept me around and unfortunately I didn't really get to explore the missions and foundry itself much before S6 went live. Then it was all gone and here I am wishing I could get my Star Trek fix.

I understand that many of us are annoyed or angry but I wish the best to those working to get the foundry back online us regular Joes and Janes who enjoyed this part the game. Here's hoping that the foundry will be back up before we know it and the exploration of the Alpha quadrant and beyond may continue.
  • Options
    muarenmuaren Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Found this kindof funny.

Yesterdays release notes from Bran said the following:

-Updated the Foundry so the Draguas is no longer invisible.

The whole Foundry is INVISIBLE!
  • Options
    sito1jastsito1jast Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    When?! :mad:
  • Options
    elcymerianelcymerian Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Perhaps this has been asked and answered but I didn't find it.

Why didn't they just fix/adjust their end and then require players to fix/republish on their own?

For example, if you had something that doesn't agree with S6 then you get an error message before republishing.

Also could they have left the editor up without publishing options while they did stuff on their end?

Just questions of curiosity.
  • Options
    designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Because you have authors like me last year, who were not around to fix their missions. Those missions then get slapped with one star "Broke" reviews that rarely ever get replaced. I still have 34 sitting on a 4 month time laps that will probably never go away due to an error in the S4 publishes.

If they just wiped the servers of the published foundry info, forcing everyone to republish, anyone who doesn't republish or is no longer playing will have their missions removed. Considering some missions I know where the authors are gone, that would be a real loss.

Rather than just saying, "Yeah, things are broken, you're responsible for fixing it," they are actually showing they care about the content and missions we've made. Which is what the community was begging for after S4.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Because you have authors like me last year, who were not around to fix their missions. Those missions then get slapped with one star "Broke" reviews that rarely ever get replaced. I still have 34 sitting on a 4 month time laps that will probably never go away due to an error in the S4 publishes.

If they just wiped the servers of the published foundry info, forcing everyone to republish, anyone who doesn't republish or is no longer playing will have their missions removed. Considering some missions I know where the authors are gone, that would be a real loss.

Rather than just saying, "Yeah, things are broken, you're responsible for fixing it," they are actually showing they care about the content and missions we've made. Which is what the community was begging for after S4.
    *high fives*
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I've not been able to get on Tribble, transferred the character before that Tholian thing but it just doesn't load up.
    I'm 4/5 missions through an arc and have 1 or 2 more ideas, I do enjoy the Foundry but I think I prefer playing other people's missions rather than trying to make something of their quality.
  • Options
    elcymerianelcymerian Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Thank you. I've only recently joined so I never went through the S4 problems I've read about. Well, here's to waiting and hoping for an update soon.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    I've not been able to get on Tribble, transferred the character before that Tholian thing but it just doesn't load up.
    I'm 4/5 missions through an arc and have 1 or 2 more ideas, I do enjoy the Foundry but I think I prefer playing other people's missions rather than trying to make something of their quality.
    Did you do the tribble patch? It's not as simple as clicking a checkbox.

see: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=280511
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It wouldn't patch, it tried once, but it just crashes the launcher.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    hunh... When I did it it took around an hour, but it eventually go it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Thought we was getting the Foundry back today since it was up on Tribble. So when are we going to get it back?

We going on 3 weeks now. Not as bad as the Season 4 fiasco of 2 months, but 3 weeks ...... :(
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited July 2012
    Tribble foundry has been up this whole time. And it's only been two weeks (check out the sig :) ), but time drags so much when there's no Foundry, I can understand how it would feel like three.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well as I said in my previous posts, I was only checking in every week... I will look in again next Thursday. Everyone have a great weekend. After August 2nd I doubt it will be back up soon. It is a real shame too, the zen I spent on this account for nothing, I don't like playing this game without the Foundry.

I want to highlight some points made in this thread:
    But seriously I don't expect any programmer to give you an ETA because I married one.
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    I'm as impatient as anyone else, but really anything under 5 weeks is an improvement :D
    rehpic wrote: »
    We have fixes in testing now and hope to have them live on holodeck by the end of the week.
    This was posted about 2 weeks ago. :D
    If the Foundry works and is currently up and running on Tribble server, why not here?
    they've had a few issues with republishing old misisons. it'll be fine, it just takes time.
    ajstoner wrote: »
    But to be on the safe side keep complaining as well.
    I'm going on at least three months now.
    tucana66 wrote: »
    This impacts the product (STO) image in too many ways.
    If this goes on much longer they risk losing dedicated authors, just like they did in Season 4.
    I am not getting any younger.
    rehpic wrote: »
    We have found several more bugs after yesterday's build went live.
    Why didnt you guys handle this on tribble?
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Anyways, my point is that you can't reasonably expect a perfect transition for the foundry.
    If it's going to be awhile, do you think you could try having more costumes tagged when it DOES come back?
    That would be nice.
    marc8219 wrote: »
    I hope they nerf the easy foundry console missions before they bring foundry back.
    *nerf = make easier or less effective (I think he means removed)
    I can honestly say this is one part of STO I wouldn't shed a tear over if it disappeared...
    TROLL! Remind me never to play with you again!
    :D Well if you REALLY can't wait... *points at sig* Try the Tribble Foundry! It was up last I checked.
    Sorry Mark but that is test area, that can be wiped any time PWE wants according to the disclaimer.
    Still waiting for the developer to call me a liar.
    You're a liar... liar, liar, liar, plants for hire. Oh you said a developer... you are still a liar. Who hasn't lied?
    castsbugc wrote: »
    So S6 shouldnt be considered a disaster, because no ratings were harmed during the course of this release,
    No a disaster is coming here and getting 404 error. The game not connecting and then reading in the Google news search that Cryptic was purchased by Electronic Arts.
    I still have 34 sitting on a 4 month time laps that will probably never go away due to an error in the S4 publishes.
    Don't you wish they would let you edit those?

Ah the nostalgia... sorry that took so long.
    Tribble foundry has been up this whole time. And it's only been two weeks (check out the sig :) ), but time drags so much when there's no Foundry, I can understand how it would feel like three.

Maybe no one understands this concept. I came here not as a fan of the game or shows, but I like creative writing. I wrote some fantasy vampire stories that never took off. The Ann Rice type, not those modern day emo sparkle kind.

I only hope they get the Foundry back up and running before I lose interest in even coming here just to check. Instead of just plodding along with the two developers working on it, why haven't they asked for some help from us the contributors? We are a willing slave labor force and yet they don't tap us on the shoulder and ask. Hey here is some code from the Foundry on Tribble see if you can't get it up and running? It doesn't even need to be my own script, I can ghost write for the countless others who left in S4. What else do I have to do with my time?

Since I won't be here all week contact me in the following manner;
    wiki talk
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/User:Wendy_Black
    http://www.stowiki.org/User:Sanduku_tupu
    facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/wendy.black.509

See you next Thursday.
    NFA-banner.png
  • Options
    zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hehe giving random people code to work with is asking for trouble. I think many of us would be willing to help test though
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Sorry Mark but that is test area, that can be wiped any time PWE wants according to the disclaimer.
    So what? It hasn't been wiped since november. They obviously don't wipe it often.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited July 2012
    They've wiped it once that I know of. But I still wouldn't want to spend a lot of time building there because there is that potential. Plus I make missions to be played by others (besides for my own enjoyment, of course). I doubt there's many folks playing Foundry missions on tribble.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I would be more than willing to work on the dozens of "Watering the Bush" and "Touch the Panel" missions out there. I mean that has to be easy... wait I bet those are the ones that work?
    zorbane wrote:
    Hehe giving random people code to work with is asking for trouble. I think many of us would be willing to help test though

She didn't mean compiler like actual code, she was talking about the scripts that are broken. So yeah she meant trouble shooting not programming. But they won't do it.
    You're a liar... liar, liar, liar, plants for hire. Oh you said a developer... you are still a liar. Who hasn't lied?

I never lie, I embellish the truth! ;)
  • Options
    thedukeofrockthedukeofrock Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    neuro1g wrote: »
    I've been playing this game for a little less than 2 months and once I leveled my character and got the good gear, I found the STFs and other group activities fun at first but quickly became bored with them; though here and there I still enjoy them. It was my discovery of the foundry at this point that kept me around and unfortunately I didn't really get to explore the missions and foundry itself much before S6 went live. Then it was all gone and here I am wishing I could get my Star Trek fix.

I understand that many of us are annoyed or angry but I wish the best to those working to get the foundry back online us regular Joes and Janes who enjoyed this part the game. Here's hoping that the foundry will be back up before we know it and the exploration of the Alpha quadrant and beyond may continue.

We are all hoping for it to come back quickly as well. I thought after reading todays patch saying they fixed the republishing bug that the missions would be back, but apparently that is not the case. It's good to see players like yourself that enjoy playing the Foundry missions, as it is the players who keep us going.

When the Season 4 Foundry came out, as I'm sure you see the many posts regarding it, players were falling through floors, having issues with things not triggering as they were supposed to, and other bugs that turned a lot of people off to the Foundry. Some of us were fortunate enough to withdraw their missions before too much damage was done, some were not. As such, myself and many other authors would rather wait to see our missions republished in working order, in lieu of the alternative, as I am sure folks like yourself who play them would.

Once it is back online, if you ever decide to give it a go yourself, or search out missions that you may enjoy. Come on over to http://starbaseugc.com/ .

We have multiple podcasts, tutorials, mission trailers, ads, and much more. Might give you something to do while you wait on the Foundry Missions to return.
    :)

Duke-of-Rock
    ABI-Artificial Borg Intelligence by Duke-of-Rock Available on Holodeck
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Also play Spawn of Medusa - The 5 Part series
    by Duke-of-Rock Available on Holodeck
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well everyone can go play my mission on the sig now. That is if you are KLINGON enough. :eek:

Thanks for getting the missions up and running.
    NFA-banner.png