test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry eta?

Comments

• blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This is so typical of forums, no one bothers to either A) read what I asked B) ingnores it completely C) avoids answering the question.

Q: Hey you Developer! In the meanwhile why don't you turn the editor back on so we (aka other authors) can be making NEW stuff? Is that asking too much?

I don't care what you "think" you know, I would like a straight forward answer from the developers.That is a developer question not a player question. Don't answer it unless you WORK at Cryptic. Thanks!
  • backyardserenadebackyardserenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    blargskull wrote: »
    This is so typical of forums, no one bothers to either A) read what I asked B) ingnores it completely C) avoids answering the question.

Q: Hey you Developer! In the meanwhile why don't you turn the editor back on so we (aka other authors) can be making NEW stuff? Is that asking too much?

I don't care what you "think" you know, I would like a straight forward answer from the developers.That is a developer question not a player question. Don't answer it unless you WORK at Cryptic. Thanks!

Whether you care or not, this question has already been answered before Season 6 went live.

The last time they patched the Foundry (Season 4) they turned on Foundry Editing immediately. Which led to more problems with the missions that needed re-publishing because all the Foundry authors were hopping in to edit and change their missions.

Turning on Foundry Editing now would cause much more trouble and likely delay the comeback of the Foundry even more. And they know that, because it already happened once.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I can be patient. But...

Here's my request.

If it's going to be awhile, do you think you could try having more costumes tagged when it DOES come back?

I know maps are hard. I know there are already lots of new maps.

But on Tribble, we were still missing every costume added since the Foundry went live.

Off the top of my head, that's:

The Bajoran Uniform, The Jupiter Jackets, the expanded TOS parts (Doctor, Nurse, Dress Uniforms, Kirk wraparound), Section 31, DS9 Admiral, Bajoran Monk, Starfleet Academy, Klingon Academy, TNG Season 1, Worf Baldric, Worf Hair, Ferengi Jacket, Tholian silk jacket, Tholian scarf.

The ships have gotten regular updates. The map updates were much needed. But the costume editor has lagged very far behind what I can do with my in-game character. Many of these assets have never been used in a mission and their presence would spice things up.

In terms of premade stuff, I'd like some of the models Thomas uses for DOff portraits as contacts. I know many are photoshopped and not possible in-game. But some ARE possible in-game, just not with the player toolset.

In particular, I'd like the Holodeck Hamlet cast added as contact costumes as almost all of them use some combination of Fed and Klingon costume parts not normally available with the editor.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    blargskull wrote: »

A dev posted in your thread. That generates views. Views generate discussion. Discussion generates debate.

Sorry if you want a forum to act as a private message system between you and a dev. That's not very typical of a forum, I agree.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012

I know maps are hard. I know there are already lots of new maps.

Zero said that adding a map takes a dev about 4 hours.

Apparently, the hard part was finding a dev who had 4 hours to do something with foundry between March of 2011 and March of 2012. An entire year, and 4 hours was too hard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I just hope when the Foundry comes back up they haven't "streamlined everything" or made it so "you can't accidentally make a mission that can't be completed", resulting in all my missions being broken, and/or needing to be dumbed down in order to work with the new "better" Foundry.
  • bazagbazag Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Foundry is up on Tribble.

That's what is going to be there plus whatever fixes they are doing on Holofdeck when they get it back up.
  • theultimatefunkytheultimatefunky Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    tucana66 wrote: »
    1.) I'd like to see Cryptic/Perfect World Entertainment provide a status. We have paid for access to the Foundry via our subscription levels. We are providing content for STO. These delays are unacceptable.

2.) While I feel for the technical/engineering team(s), Quality Assurance (QA) work was not done -- or budget/resources were not adequately addressed by management for proper QA work.

As someone with a background in this, I can tell you that most companies would have someone's head on a platter at this point. This impacts the product (STO) image in too many ways.

And while I recognize the importance of STO Season Six being released for sales/revenue reasons, this reminds us that the Foundry is NOT regarded as a high priority, nor a sales/revenue lead.

I've stayed away from STO Foundry development for a while, waiting for PWE to take the Foundry revisions/updates more seriously. The past state of the Foundry tools/libraries limited what I wanted to do in my next Foundry mission work. I actually tried logging into the Foundry today, wasn't able to connect to it, then came to the forums to see what was going on.

This is truly sad, as PWE fails to grasp the importance of Foundry work by the STO community, particularly for new content between seasons/major updates.

Shape up your business, PWE.

dude, chill out, ok we are paying forthe use of the foundry via our monthly sub, but what would you rather have? a buggy glitchy unplayable foundry or a spot on working one? thing is with ppl like you is you complain when somethiung isnt working, then when its released with bugs due to the pressure you still complain, so chill it out a bit, cryptic are working hard on fixing the issues
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I hope they nerf the easy foundry console missions before they bring foundry back.
    I admit I did them all the time too, but only because since everyone else was doing it and causing dilithium inflation so I figured I had to just to keep up with the inflation. Maybe I will actually get around to trying out real foundry missons to if they do this.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • zakon90505zakon90505 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    So we get back to the actual question at hand. When is it coming back up?
    ETA.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Captain Gordon Lightfoot, USS Edmund Fitzgerald

Check out Firefly Fleet: http://serenitystation.forumotion.com/
  • nenfisnenfis Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The problem I see is business as usual, the lack of information and lack of confidence in what they say. This has already happened in season 4, they did well and now it has become ill do it again.

The only ones who know how to operate our missions are us and we can not test them. It will as usual, but ill get to work and we will have to review and tweak what does not work, would not cost much to put back online missions and put a button after checking that it works correctly again allow voting.

And I do not think the missions are back online because they can not be published correctly, they dont not work, the problem we have is that they can not publish without severe damage.
  • fereng1fiendfereng1fiend Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    dude, chill out, ok we are paying forthe use of the foundry via our monthly sub, but what would you rather have? a buggy glitchy unplayable foundry or a spot on working one? thing is with ppl like you is you complain when somethiung isnt working, then when its released with bugs due to the pressure you still complain, so chill it out a bit, cryptic are working hard on fixing the issues

dude, chill out ok we are just posting on a video game message board. thing is with ppl like you is you complain when someone else complains, so chill it out a bit and stop complaining about other people complaining

:rolleyes:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guess who's back...back again!
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    How sad. :(

Well I have been catching up on my Guild Wars. :D Other than that 99.9% of the reason I started playing this MMO was/is the Foundry. So I will keep poking my head in here once a week until it returns or doesn't. But I have other more pleasant things to do than rant about something that should be up and running. I find it a strange conversation overall. Like the ones demanding Dilithium or Zen... yeah, I can't get my cable company to give me a break for outages and you guys want free Zen or Dilithium for a F2P game? :P

Like I said back on message number 4, "Keep it positive, think happy thoughts.". Maybe they will turn it back on. Maybe DrMike will even be able to use it? Only time will tell. If rehpic shows up again, I too would like to know why the Foundry editor cannot be used create new material? Since rehpic knows the old mission scripts elsewhere ;)

Well it has been fun playing with you boys but this old girl is done for now, I check back in next weekend. Until then, this is Sanduku Tupu aka Wendy Black signing off.

Clap your hands, think happy thoughts, I do believe in the Foundry...
    NFA-banner.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    zakon90505 wrote: »
    So we get back to the actual question at hand. When is it coming back up?
    ETA.
    Short answer: we don't know
    long answer: as soon as the Devs finish working on it.

@ Sandu: if you want to experiment with the new features.... *points at sig*

BWHAHAHAHAAH!!!!!

Yes my Avatar is my Tribble Foundry Char.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm more concerned with it coming back up right, rather then immediatley. Devs please take all the time you need to get rid of easy console foundry missions before bringing foundry back.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • th3fer3ngifi3ndth3fer3ngifi3nd Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    marc8219 wrote: »
    I'm more concerned with it coming back up right, rather then immediatley. Devs please take all the time you need to get rid of easy console foundry missions before bringing foundry back.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=4889371&postcount=57
  • shinigami70601shinigami70601 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I hope it's back soon and not down for a extended time like during a previous new season being released
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    rehpic wrote: »
    We have found several more bugs after yesterday's build went live. It is going to take us a bit longer to get them fixed, tested and into a release build.

I can honestly say this is one part of STO I wouldn't shed a tear over if it disappeared... it litterally from the time I log in to STO to the time I logoff I do not really ever think about playing a foundry mission. Only time I would play one is if someone said hey I made one do you want to play it? Then I might go out and play one but other than that its pretty much a useless waste of resources... Plus the foundry authors out there have so much limitations its like you can't call it a phaser because kirk and picard and sisko and janeway and archer all called them phasers.

The foundry itself makes me wonder if when I build a character that it might become so popular that it might get a copyright slapped on it and denied access to play it. Then I won't even be able to even talk about my character. If i am lucky they might give me 100 zen for it.
  • bazagbazag Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I can honestly say this is one part of STO I wouldn't shed a tear over if it disappeared... it litterally from the time I log in to STO to the time I logoff I do not really ever think about playing a foundry mission. Only time I would play one is if someone said hey I made one do you want to play it? Then I might go out and play one but other than that its pretty much a useless waste of resources... Plus the foundry authors out there have so much limitations its like you can't call it a phaser because kirk and picard and sisko and janeway and archer all called them phasers.

The foundry itself makes me wonder if when I build a character that it might become so popular that it might get a copyright slapped on it and denied access to play it. Then I won't even be able to even talk about my character. If i am lucky they might give me 100 zen for it.

I think you are mis-understanding the EULA.

1. You can use elements from the Star Trek TV series... just not actor likenesses.

Ie. You can't 'show' Sisko but you can still reference the character or even have a conversation with him (just as long as it's audio only)

2. Yes, the foundry is limited. But that doesn't mean there aren't great stories out there.

Check out anyone of Alimac30's missions. or any mission in the The SBUGC List of Great Missions.

A lot of current foundry Authors (including myself) have built up a lot experience in the foundry and while we still have to work within the limitations of the foundry. The limitations are not all that limiting.

If you have a Klingon character then play 'The Honour of Profit" by Bazag (me). It was a Foundry spotlight mission and will give you an idea of how an experienced foundry author can give the player freedom in how they approach the aspect of telling a story.

Give it a try for yourself - of course when the foundry comes back up - come and visit the freindly crew at StarbaseUGC.com (you can chat with us live via the website) and see for yourself rather than relying on thrid hand information.
  • torinthitorinthi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Man i'm itching to see these updates that are taking so long to get the Foundry back online for :|
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Click the signature to enter a world of wonder!
  • philo5oraptorphilo5oraptor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I can honestly say this is one part of STO I wouldn't shed a tear over if it disappeared... it litterally from the time I log in to STO to the time I logoff I do not really ever think about playing a foundry mission. Only time I would play one is if someone said hey I made one do you want to play it

Ladies and gentlemen, I present the perfect example of the selfish attitude displayed by the "me generation". They only care about themselves, and if they do not personally like something they dont care what happens to it even if they are fully aware that other people do like it.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    torinthi wrote: »
    Man i'm itching to see these updates that are taking so long to get the Foundry back online for :|
    :D Well if you REALLY can't wait... *points at sig* Try the Tribble Foundry! It was up last I checked.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • q403q403 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012

All about you - huh, no. Thats not what the world is about, if you dont like it, to bad, someone else does.
    " Nature Decays, but latinum lasts forever."
    Original Handle: @Q400
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited July 2012

While you are entitled to your opinion, I would ask you to think about how you would feel if some other major game system (pvp, STFs, dailies, whatever) that you put your time and your effort into and that you find very fun were suddenly offline for 11 days, all the while the other game systems got new toys to play with, and all you got from the devs were small hints at first of "everything's fine, it'll be back up soon" and then "oh yeah there's some bugs, but it'll be back up soon."

You may not care about the Foundry, but we do. So before you make posts like that, put yourself in our shoes and think how you would feel.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • kaigeoskaigeos Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'll just try and monitor this thread hopefully, in our Fleet, The Operations Division has been planing and story boarding some missions, and we hope to work on them soon.

here's hopes to a swift return of the Foundry.
  • ajstonerajstoner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Enjoying my little vacation from STO (hardly worth playing at all without the foundry for me) but just dropping in to see how things are going. Still nothin'... Seriously; what's up with that?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012

You're really missing out then. There are many missions in the Foundry that are better than those from the standard game.
    edited July 2012
    ajstoner wrote: »
    Enjoying my little vacation from STO (hardly worth playing at all without the foundry for me) but just dropping in to see how things are going. Still nothin'... Seriously; what's up with that?

I don't bother playing the game much outside the Foundry either. I probably would have basically quit over a year ago except for the Foundry. Since they seem to not even be making FEs anymore, and it seems like they are reluctant to even make "play once" mission content (aka story missions), there's little that would bring me back otherwise.
  • blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Come on guys don't feed the trolls. Personally I thought message #41 was over the top but this guy is really a work of art. I've been complaining that they should have the Foundry up and running with or without the original mission scripts. But this guy here is saying just delete everything because...
    T... its pretty much a useless waste of resources...

First what resources are being used? Disk space to store even the largest script is about roughly 250KB and even if there was 10,000 missions on the server, you would have at most 2.5 to 3 GB on server drives rated in petabytes. So I don't see them as a waste. This guy is just saying this to start a riot.

Enough about him.

I would like someone at Cryptic to flip the switch on the client and put the Foundry back online. Some people here still don't understand that the Foundry is done, the same Foundry 0.8b you use on Tribble is the same Foundry you use on the Holodeck. The only difference is access to Holodeck server has been blocked in the client.

This action would have no effect on the current mission scripts since they currently reside elsewhere in the server. They should of/could of copied them to the Tribble server, so the people who wrote them could assist in repairs and the process in my opinion would have been much smoother than it has been.

I have only one mission "out there", I want to start making more. I know many of you have as many as 8 or 12? I empathize with you, I just don't understand the boss man's inaction on this matter. Still waiting for the developer to call me a liar.
  • naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I really miss to play foundry missions...

But if it takes time to republish missions I am fine with it. I really don't want a 2nd "Season 4" disaster.