test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are you satisfied with how fleet donations work?

Comments

• kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think the system is fine.

I'm running a solo fleet so I get cash for everything. Of course the down side is I need to pay for everything. Its gonig to take some time for me to find 30 white refugees. So your damn right I better get paid well for the stuff I apply to building the starbase.
  • doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    In a perfect deposit system, the game lets everyone dump in everything they want. Then all the resources in our savings account get funneled in, in order. So lets say 20 players dump in their materials. Then when a new project opens, the deposits funnel into the project at X amount of credits given per player. So, if set at say 1000 credits a player, the internal depositor checks each players deposit pile of goodies. If a project needs X and player 1 has X, it pulls exactly 1000 worth of X out of his savings. Then it moves to player 2, checks his pile, pulls resources. If player 3 has nothing in savings for that project, it moves to player 4. The player order could be determined by join date, fleet rank, etc, but at least everyone has a fixed place in line, and everyone has a chance to contribute before it comes back around to player 1. If it keeps cycling around and only player 1 has the majority of whats needed, so be it, he gets the credits, but at least it asked everyone else fairly before player 1 scored majority of credits for that project.

Even if this is too hard to program, they could at least develop the savings system and let fleet designated bankers manually fill the project bucket 1000 credits at a time, down the roster line, instead of first come first score. If the fleet bankers are corrupt, it shows up on scoreboards. Everyone should see what everyone else has deposited into the holding accounts, so you will know if the project asked for Y, but you didnt have any, but players in front of you on the list did, you were skipped fairly. If you had Y, and Y wasnt subtracted from your account on X date of project, but guys behind you on the list did, you know your fleet banker is playing favorites and cheating you from contribution.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Nope. If you miss that 30 second window to get anything in, then you miss out.

Some suggestions
    • 1 man mini-projects
    • 24 hour credit cap
    • Half the project time to balance the credit cap reduction
  • th3gr4ndnagu5th3gr4ndnagu5 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    In a perfect deposit system, the game lets everyone dump in everything they want. Then all the resources in our savings account get funneled in, in order. So lets say 20 players dump in their materials. Then when a new project opens, the deposits funnel into the project at X amount of credits given per player. So, if set at say 1000 credits a player, the internal depositor checks each players deposit pile of goodies. If a project needs X and player 1 has X, it pulls exactly 1000 worth of X out of his savings. Then it moves to player 2, checks his pile, pulls resources. If player 3 has nothing in savings for that project, it moves to player 4. The player order could be determined by join date, fleet rank, etc, but at least everyone has a fixed place in line, and everyone has a chance to contribute before it comes back around to player 1. If it keeps cycling around and only player 1 has the majority of whats needed, so be it, he gets the credits, but at least it asked everyone else fairly before player 1 scored majority of credits for that project.

Even if this is too hard to program, they could at least develop the savings system and let fleet designated bankers manually fill the project bucket 1000 credits at a time, down the roster line, instead of first come first score. If the fleet bankers are corrupt, it shows up on scoreboards. Everyone should see what everyone else has deposited into the holding accounts, so you will know if the project asked for Y, but you didnt have any, but players in front of you on the list did, you were skipped fairly. If you had Y, and Y wasnt subtracted from your account on X date of project, but guys behind you on the list did, you know your fleet banker is playing favorites and cheating you from contribution.

I would prefer they simply create a starbase bank that anyone can contribute to, and when you contribute you automatically get your share of credits. Then the fleet leaders can use the resources already in that bank to fuel the projects of their choosing.

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I still think some sort of pooling resources for missions requirements should have been the way to do it. With the excess being logged and pushed on to the next mission that need that resource.

Or having the excess being returned to the donor based on how big of the percentage exceeding 100% the player donated. If 2 players donated 100% each of the needed amount they both exceeded the required amount with 50% each and that will be the returned value. If one donates 100% and an other 75%, the one that donated 100% will get 50% back and the one who donated 75% will get 25% back and so on.

That in my mind would have been the ultimate solution.
  • ramaramaramarama Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm a pretty casual player. Got my three character to 50, grinded out a Galaxy X via Dilithium, got my away teams all geared in purples to my liking with nice skill sets that work well with each other...

Maybe I'm not too casual, but all in all, I don't like this system. I have yet to see any open donation button. Every time I have logged in, regardless of time, it's always Filled. Filled. Filled. It benefits the Fleet and all, but I have yet to put anything into this and the last thing I need is to be called out due my lack of contribution.

To be honest though, I'm not even sure what this is all for. Is there some place that spells the Fleet system out? What do we have to look forward to? I mean, when you grind Dilithium, you can plan out what you want to buy with it. Can you do the same with this Fleet system?
  • dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I would prefer they simply create a starbase bank that anyone can contribute to, and when you contribute you automatically get your share of credits. Then the fleet leaders can use the resources already in that bank to fuel the projects of their choosing.

This would be perfect.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    jkstocbr wrote: »
    Nope. If you miss that 30 second window to get anything in, then you miss out.

Some suggestions
    • 1 man mini-projects
    • 24 hour credit cap
    • Half the project time to balance the credit cap reduction

The ideal would probably be the option for shorter projects and any member to start a project if there's a vacancy.

Make it like the DOff system.

So you can get 1000 XP in an area for a 20 hour project...

Or, say, 75 XP for a 1 hour project. But the 1 hour projects take a fair amount of resources. Maybe half as much as the 20 hour projects instead of 1/20th. And the fleet credit rewards are lower, maybe 3/4ths what 20 hour projects supply per dilithium/DOff. etc.

So you could level a touch faster doing all 1 hour projects but you'll deplete resources faster too, making it a large fleet option to chain 1 hour projects for everyone to contribute.

Small fleets or cost conscious fleets would stick to 20 hour projects.

If you have 30+ members, you could do all 1 hour projects but do so knowing it will cost more and reward a bit less, making it solely an issue if everyone wants to contribute.
    edited July 2012

There are problems I can see with this as it potentially allows the same item to cycle twice.

What might be better is to have it work so that larger fleets can have more active projects but only 3 that count towards starbase XP and the additional ones simply providing consumables that are mailed to the fleet leader or placed into the fleet bank.

Or perhaps they simply generate EC in the fleet bank.

So you only have 3 projects running that generate fleet XP and 1 special project that generates fleet XP but you can have side projects that generate EC directly in the fleet bank at roughly the same rate that those commodities would generate EC in DOff missions.
  • gstamo01gstamo01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Yep. Totally agree with this. It's very lame that players, like myself, have a major stockpile to contribute, but get locked out of doing so because they were not or could not be online at just the right time. Very, very lame. Thanks Cryptic and PWE. You R So Cool...
    You know Cryptic has Jumped the Proverbial Shark when they introduced Tractor Pulling to Star Trek Online! :D
  • ramaramaramarama Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Sorry to make another post so quickly but I just read a bit of stuff on the wiki and came back here a tad confused and a little disturbed.

So, you earn Fleet Marks via missions but can only earn Fleet Credits via donations?

Fleet Marks are only used to convert to Fleet Credits via donations?

Fleet Ships and various other items cost Fleet Credits.

So the only way to take advantage of the new Fleet System is to donate, which may or may not happen for certain players.

Is this correct or am I missing the mark completely?
    edited July 2012
    There are problems I can see with this as it potentially allows the same item to cycle twice.

Please explain.

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012
    Please explain.

Well, it would be an issue if it went into the FLEET bank. A player could donate it, the fleet leader could remove it and donate it again.

If you're talking about a special bank that can only be deposited into and used for projects, that is a MESS of code and a mess of logistics first.

I think what would work better is probably just to have a vendor or an open ended assignment that specific items can be donated to, for no fleet XP and reduced fleet credits.

Drop the item in. It's lost. The fleet bank gets EC less than the vendor value of the item and the player gets fleet credits.

You could also have an option for rapid turnaround fleet assignments for large fleets or an extra optional project that generates no fleet XP and is only available to fleets larger than 30 members, acting as a dump so that more players can contribute.

I really think what will happen in practice with the current system though is that your big contributors will run dry in a month or two, though. They'll either have a lack of things to contribute or no use for the fleet marks they have.

I'm sitting on around 80k fleet credits. My fleet's top contributor is sitting on around 200k. Who knows if there will be an advantage in even HAVING that many...?

The big sink are T5 ships at 200k that are not an upgrade over C-Store ships. The better, Fleet tier ships cost 20k and C-Points.

Maxing a starbase out over 6 months will generate over 40 BILLION fleet credits and could cost into the hundreds of dollars worth of dilithium. That's more than anyone should need or want and more than most can supply. And more fleet credits will continue to be available for ongoing projects after that. Then you have multiple holdings like colonies and such that will probably come out in a year or less.

If someone over spends, they will simply wind up sucked dry and not have anything left to buy with their surplus of fleet credits.
    edited July 2012
    ramarama wrote: »
    Sorry to make another post so quickly but I just read a bit of stuff on the wiki and came back here a tad confused and a little disturbed.

So, you earn Fleet Marks via missions but can only earn Fleet Credits via donations?

Fleet Marks are only used to convert to Fleet Credits via donations?

Fleet Ships and various other items cost Fleet Credits.

So the only way to take advantage of the new Fleet System is to donate, which may or may not happen for certain players.

Is this correct or am I missing the mark completely?

Yep, that's pretty much the problem.

@stoleviathan99, No. It would not be a "Bank" in the traditional sense, more like a Vault. Stuff goes in, but is automatically allocated to the projects chosen by the leader(s). Nobody can withdraw from the Vault system.

It isn't a mess of code at all. All you are doing is prepaying for projects.
    You know Cryptic has Jumped the Proverbial Shark when they introduced Tractor Pulling to Star Trek Online! :D
    edited July 2012
    Well, it would be an issue if it went into the FLEET bank. A player could donate it, the fleet leader could remove it and donate it again.

Yes, I'm talking about a starbase bank, not the fleet bank.
    If you're talking about a special bank that can only be deposited into and used for projects, that is a MESS of code and a mess of logistics first.

I'm not a coder, so I have no idea how complicated it would be.
    gstamo01 wrote: »
    Yep, that's pretty much the problem.

@stoleviathan99, No. It would not be a "Bank" in the traditional sense, more like a Vault. Stuff goes in, but is automatically allocated to the projects chosen by the leader(s). Nobody can withdraw from the Vault system.

It isn't a mess of code at all. All you are doing is prepaying for projects.

Yes, that is what I am referring to.

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • elric071elric071 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I wish you had a third option of "needs work, but ok for now"....

I chose that I was satisfied, because so far it has worked out for my fleet (TOS Veterans). We are a medium sized fleet of about 100 or so members with 50-75 active. We also have a Klingon sister fleet (TOS Qan Mang) where most of us have alts, and there are a few who are exclusively KDF. Anyway, when Season 6 went live we posted on our forums as The Ruling Council (there are 7 of us on the Council) that we would be enforcing a strict 10% donation per player (not character) for everything but Fleet Marks. Fleet Marks are a little harder to come by, so we hae not capped that yet. We have only had one person complain that they couldn't donate to any project because they weren't interested in doing any of the Fleet Actions that came with Season 6, and all the easy stuff filled up too quickly.

We did this so everyone in out fleet (except new recruits: We have a policy of a 3-4 week cooling off period where a Cadet has some things to accomplish within the fleet before they are promoted) would have a good shot at building up Fleet Credits. That way when we finally can stock up the vendors on the starbase there shouldn't be any intrafleet strife (we hope anyway ;) ). So far it seems to be working for us, the FC's have been dispersed fairly well between members in both our fleets. As the Council, we all have curtailed our own contributions so none of us are at the top of the leader board.

However, I think the system has some issues that need to be worked out. So, that is why I wished for a third option....Sorry, kinda long winded to get to the point....:eek: hehe
    Illigitimi Non Carborundum

Co-Founder of TOS Veterans and TOS Qan Mang
    edited July 2012
    It often amuses me how Cryptic Devs never foresee blindingly obvious problems with their implementation of new ideas that were drafted in the boardroom.

Wait, no it doesn't.. It actually aggravates the heck out of me...

Now, instead of having a fair system from release, folks will probably complain about it for 4 to 6 months until the problem is addressed, if at all. Thus adding to and drowning out a rather large stockpile of issues players already had within the STO verse..

The system reminds me very much of the loot lottery of the STF.

/rant off
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Original Question : Are you satisfied with how fleet donations work?

No
    edited July 2012
    gstamo01 wrote: »
    It often amuses me how Cryptic Devs never foresee blindingly obvious problems with their implementation of new ideas that were drafted in the boardroom.

Wait, no it doesn't.. It actually aggravates the heck out of me...

Now, instead of having a fair system from release, folks will probably complain about it for 4 to 6 months until the problem is addressed, if at all.

The system reminds me very much of the loot lottery of the STF.

/rant off

They knew about this before it went live.

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012

Yeah, or that
    edited July 2012
    ramarama wrote: »
    I'm a pretty casual player. Got my three character to 50, grinded out a Galaxy X via Dilithium, got my away teams all geared in purples to my liking with nice skill sets that work well with each other...

Maybe I'm not too casual, but all in all, I don't like this system. I have yet to see any open donation button. Every time I have logged in, regardless of time, it's always Filled. Filled. Filled. It benefits the Fleet and all, but I have yet to put anything into this and the last thing I need is to be called out due my lack of contribution.

To be honest though, I'm not even sure what this is all for. Is there some place that spells the Fleet system out? What do we have to look forward to? I mean, when you grind Dilithium, you can plan out what you want to buy with it. Can you do the same with this Fleet system?

To contribute, know what you want out of it I guess. For instance, my first toon is committed to flying the Galaxy X, aint changing. He needs nothing from starbases, so Im not earning one fleet credit with him. My second toon was committed to flying a Sovereign when she grew up. Then they announced to have the best Sovy possible, I needed to combine a Z store Sovy and a Fleet Sovy. So, shes doing all the fleet work expecting to get a god Sovy. My third Fed toon, he's a doctor and going to grow up to fly an Aventine when it comes out, which is expected to be Science. So he doesnt need the fleet system either. My KDF toon, she only took her ship around the solar system for a photo op, and shes still back at First City, without so much as her tractor beams installed. The BEST gear is from the STFs, which I refuse to play. So, thats where I stand on what I want from fleet starbases. Know what you want from it, before you spend time to grind for it.
    edited July 2012
    Im only guessing here, but maybe the easiest coding fix is to just allow the fleets to fill up EVERY project there is to do, all opened for contribution immediately. All the fleet leader does is place the order the projects queue up, and can only "run" three at a time, with the same timers. So, its instant fleet credits for all, and basically a fleet could be maxed out on contribution months early, all they have to do is sit back and wait for the timers to expire on the projects that fleet leader queued up so they still complete in the order that the fleet leadership wants. No one beats anyone to the T5 finish line, you just fill up the tank in advance knowing you have the gas to get there.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yes I am, there are 15-20 active people in my fleet and everyone can get a part of the big cake. My only regret is the ability leaders have to prevent someone from buying and donating. This is silly and stupid. No limits and free for all has my vote. :D
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    My only problem is the 20hr cool down

of course I am a fleet of 1 and intend it to be that way for awhile

They say its impossible

I have over 500,000 fleet credits across 5 alts

I have 10 projects(4 eng, 3 sci, 3 tac) completed and 3 more on CD

The irony is the CD is limiting my 1 person fleet - as I could easily complete all 30 Tier 1 projects in a couple days max - when I believe the CD was so that small fleets would not be left in the dust by large fleets - lol
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I voted 'Yes' for the concept, but this is added.

The overall design still needs work...this is not the final solution.

LIke others said...there are places in those projects, that a wall is going to be hit, for those doing it solo, or a less then110 size group.

I am one of the Solo one, the less than active fleet has been quiet for almost 2 years. The original creator hasn't played since 2010, so I claim Leadership and activated the base...

It is a lot work for one person to do, but if I can get it done...it will be very rewarding in the long run, but I am pratical, I know my limits.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    As it is right now it works. Although its only Tier 1.

Alot of griping might be solved once the higher tiers open up and it asks for more/scarcer commodities per project.

Sounds like being in a big fleet is a pain in the TRIBBLE though if you still can't get credits even with the special projects going on.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • shantavishantavi Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Alot of griping might be solved once the higher tiers open up and it asks for more/scarcer commodities per project.

Sounds like being in a big fleet is a pain in the TRIBBLE though if you still can't get credits even with the special projects going on.

Which is *still* going to be an issue for the more casual players in a fleet. They're still not going to have all the resources a more hardcore player is going to have. The hardcore players will still be able to very quickly fill up the Fleet Marks/Dilithium (from grinding those out) and will more likely have more of the rarer items necessary before a casual player will.

"Back on topic. Destinii is correct."

(Formerly Destinii until the 'Great PWE Forum Shakeup of 2012')
  • sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    shantavi wrote: »
    Which is *still* going to be an issue for the more casual players in a fleet. They're still not going to have all the resources a more hardcore player is going to have. The hardcore players will still be able to very quickly fill up the Fleet Marks/Dilithium (from grinding those out) and will more likely have more of the rarer items necessary before a casual player will.

Yeah, the casual player will always have it tough against dedicated players.

Things should even out when there are more resources asked for per project or when the hardcore players buy their ships/equipment.

Just have to wait in line.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • caliban149caliban149 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    latinumbar wrote: »
    The timezone will change with each project (assuming it gets filled right away). At 20 hours, the start time will move forward by 4 hours with each project.

And should probably wait until the people start running the upgrade assignments. The requirements are a lot higher for those.

Nah four hours, still means each slot can run 3 times before it rolls round the only time of day I'm not either asleep or at work, 12 hours for x3 slots = 9 projects at zero contribution. Miss a few evenings and its in the snore zone again.

Not everyone is free to play 12 hours a day you know.

I'd knock em down to 16 hours, would speed things up a little and make the timezone swap over twice as fast.
    edited July 2012
    There are 2 kinds of game developers; those who put their ego aside and adjust their designs based on player feedback, and there are those who stubbornly defend what they made regardless of whether people like it or not. With the majority not being satisfied with this specific system, I guess we'll find out which type we have here.

Well, thats one way to put it :o

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]