Starbases dont "feel" right

2»

Comments

• Options
    kimmerakimmera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    rjcfoxtrot wrote: »
    *ahem* Dilithium Mining event?

If we've got that, why can there not be a daily where you can contribute something to the Starbase by hopping in a worker bee?

I'm with you that we're Starfleet/Klingon Command Officers that are directing work, but that idea was thrown out the window the moment we got things like the Dilithium Mining Event.

Fun, until it becomes mandatory. And if it isn't, you are just putting it in for those who actually like the thought of a tedious optional starbase building mission.
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    i'm just going to say, i kinda expected some workbees humming around the incomplete stations while projects are running.

i kinda expected that i would at least have to fly to the fleetbase to deliver needed supplies,

well instead of ebay sniping at some UI buttons anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    th3gr4ndnagu5th3gr4ndnagu5 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    zerobang wrote: »
    i'm just going to say, i kinda expected some workbees humming around the incomplete stations while projects are running.

That would have been a nice touch. Maybe a few random sparks too =P

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    tacofangs wrote: »
    A full building sim is an entirely different game, and there was no way we were going to be able to do that. In addition, I can't imagine the complaints we'd receive if we just handed everyone a bucket of parts and you had to weld/rivet every piece together. That sounds intensely tedious and boring to me, and I'm a builder.

So you never ground out STF Gear then? ;)
    But seriously, how about a Welding Mini-Game daily.
    It could be picked up by the Officer of the Watch on the SB.
    Successfull completion, grants a 1% reduction on all running project timers
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • Options
    th3gr4ndnagu5th3gr4ndnagu5 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    So you never ground out STF Gear then? ;)
    But seriously, how about a Welding Mini-Game daily.
    It could be picked up by the Officer of the Watch on the SB.
    Successfull completion, grants a 1% reduction on all running project timers

OMG! We basically already have that with the dilithium mining(at least, I imagine it would look pretty close with your guy in an EV suit and holding some type of welder). But imagine walking around on the surface of your base :eek:

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    OMG! We basically already have that with the dilithium mining(at least, I imagine it would look pretty close with your guy in an EV suit and holding some type of welder). But imagine walking around on the surface of your base :eek:

That would be cool!
  • Options
    commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I honestly think fleet marks should have been replaced with "Transport Schedules" or something that actually makes sense. Imagine this, you are sitting in your fleet starbase system and "contribute" these "Transport Schedules" and several transports warp in and approach the station.

What would have been cool too is to have a Cargo deck with large cargo transporters. You go to that deck and when you contribute to a task, things start beaming in. Crew show up, take the cargo to one of five rooms (one for each of the project slots) and the room "fills up" with cargo when you have fully contributed. As time ticks away on the project the room slowly empties.

Also, if we are just building this bases where are all the workers carrying things? Welding things? working on things? They just seem too devoid of activity to me.

It seems as the environmental artists did a great job building the bases, the systems team did a great job working on the mechanics of how the system works, but then there it stopped. I don't know if the next step to add immersion is content's purview and they were too busy making the new missions?

If so, please add some sort of life to this game system so it is more tangible.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2012
    rdm1958 wrote: »
    well for me the bases exceeded my expectations. i feel right at home there. can't wait to get tier 5 finished. i'm lusting for tricobalt platforms.

Yes, this was my main point.

Sorry, the Captain/Admiral part of my argument really was meant as a tongue in cheek ref to the past arguments about these exact sorts of tasks.

In the end, I don't think there is any way for us to allow you to fly a work bee around, pick up individual girders, and weld them in place, this is not a game designed with that kind of activity in mind, and it would require a game designed around that for that to happen.

Yes, we could potentially add some mission where you hop in a work bee, fly to predesignated spots to perform clicky tasks (i.e. welding) and then return. I don't see why that wouldn't be possible. But that's a design call.

The original intent was to have work bees and freighters flying around while your station was in a construction phase, to help illustrate that. I don't know what happened with that, probably just didn't have time to get it all in.

Really, what we should have is a video montage of work bees welding all set to the tune of "9 to 5."

Preferably with 80's style mustaches.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    rjcfoxtrotrjcfoxtrot Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    kimmera wrote: »
    Fun, until it becomes mandatory. And if it isn't, you are just putting it in for those who actually like the thought of a tedious optional starbase building mission.

No daily is currently mandatory as is, pending your goals. It would be tedious optional starbase building mission just like the Dilithium Event is a tedious optional dilithium harvesting mission.

If your goal is to max out all the cool-down based methods of dilithium farming, then the Dilithium Mining Event becomes mandatory. Just as if your goal is to max out all the cool-down based methods of Starbase Construction, a theoretical construction daily would then be mandatory as per the conditions set by the user based upon their own end goal.

All of which isn't the point I was making which is that the idea that not having a starbase construction daily because it's not something a Starship CO would do isn't a good one since we're already doing plenty of activities that can qualify as tedious or dangerous for a Starship CO.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Really, what we should have is a video montage of work bees welding all set to the tune of "9 to 5."

A Dolly Parton country-western son? - No thanks.

You want 80ies? Set it to DEVO's "Working in a Coal Mine" :eek::D
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    admlshakeadmlshake Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yeah i actually wanted to build it as a fleet not have it just appear there and you upgrade it. Thats just a cheap way to do it. I wanted to get a in workbee and weld all the parts together :p or at least use a tractor to tow things into position and stuff. You know a kinda sim building experience.

What other MMO does that happen in if at all? I've played a few and I can't think of any that get down to that level of immersion detail.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Sorry, the Captain/Admiral part of my argument really was meant as a tongue in cheek ref to the past arguments about these exact sorts of tasks.

In the end, I don't think there is any way for us to allow you to fly a work bee around, pick up individual girders, and weld them in place, this is not a game designed with that kind of activity in mind, and it would require a game designed around that for that to happen.

Yes, we could potentially add some mission where you hop in a work bee, fly to predesignated spots to perform clicky tasks (i.e. welding) and then return. I don't see why that wouldn't be possible. But that's a design call.

The original intent was to have work bees and freighters flying around while your station was in a construction phase, to help illustrate that. I don't know what happened with that, probably just didn't have time to get it all in.

I'm enjoying the starbases but in hindsight, I think it would have been cooler, rather than having empty space that gets filled, if the early stages had a more unfinished look.

So instead of replacing empty space inside with something functional, we'd seen teams welding on unfinished parts.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    admlshake wrote: »
    What other MMO does that happen in if at all? I've played a few and I can't think of any that get down to that level of immersion detail.

The closest thing I can think of to this is ********'s area around the Sunwell, some of its PvP maps, or City of Heroes' future Atlas Park Area.

Servers gradually open up pieces through progress but every aspect starts off with some kind of function.

So there are no empty spaces when you start out, just ones that look unfinished or occupied by an enemy and get replaced.

I like the overall feel of Starbases but I would have liked them to start off looking rougher and had assignments where fleetmasters get to pick the lighting, the color-scheme, etc.

Would also be nice if there was a place for an emblem on the wall when we beam in with our fleet name and logo, kinda like the station identifiers near the Transporter pads added in Season 5.
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,648 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    *snip*
    I realize this isn't up to you. Would you gently suggest this is worth finishing and patching in later? Applying something like this as late as the Tier II starbase would add some polish and immersion to the experience.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    thay8472 wrote: »
    that would be fun... freighter drops of supplies.. and you have to beam them aboard 1 at a time and take back and fourth between the stations.

There is a mission for that, but it's broken too.
    :(
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    warpstabilizerwarpstabilizer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012

I'm more of a fan of Powerhouse myself.
  • Options
    cuse2015cuse2015 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The only complaint I have about Starbases is with donating the data samples. Can you guys patch it so multiple samples can be donated all at once?
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm all for adding missions that involve the "actual" building of the starbase. The more missions the better. Even if the mission itself doesn't contribute to building the base, the resources gathered sure can. Or you could even give those missions a new resource or item type as a reward, and have that type be an additional thing to contribute to fleet projects.

It would also be cool to have an "inspection run" mission, where you're flying in a shuttle for a close-up view, when you encounter some saboteurs... gives another mission to do for marks, and a reason to use shuttles.

Are the mustaches for the worker bees or their pilots?
  • Options
    nyiadnyiad Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Season 6 is mainly a credit sink OP. Just in fancy, shiny, wrapping.
  • Options
    stohansonstohanson Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Can these things be added? I mean this game since launch hasn't felt like Star Trek. Deep Space 9 feels deserted, There's no NPC activity outside of the Starbase as if it's under construction. I know Cryptic has a lot to do, but you guys keep skipping out on the little things that allow people to totally drowned themselves in this universe.
  • Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It really just feels like a glorified Group DOFF system - its just a UI game. The biggest flaw for me is that you don't even have to be at your Starbase to contribute resources and manage it? Why have it at all then? The only reason I go there is for the Officer of the Watch daily:rolleyes:
  • Options
    kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    jkstocbr wrote: »
    It really just feels like a glorified Group DOFF system - its just a UI game. The biggest flaw for me is that you don't even have to be at your Starbase to contribute resources and manage it? Why have it at all then? The only reason I go there is for the Officer of the Watch daily:rolleyes:

At least to me the Fleet systems feels like the Doff system on steroids. Only instead of sending one Doff you send a pile of suplies and group of doffs away on group projects.

Even a fetch quest to go to planet A to pick up supply B and bring it back to your star base would be interesting to have.
  • Options
    frankiedfrankied Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    thay8472 wrote: »
    whoever thought putting 1 particle in at a time deserves to be shot.

This...talk about a time sink.