test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Starbases dont "feel" right

j4ck5p4rr0wj4ck5p4rr0w Member Posts: 103 Arc User
It doesnt really feel like you are "building" a starbase. It seems more like just another store you are spending currency in =/
Post edited by j4ck5p4rr0w on

Comments

• mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well you could always build one in your backyard. :)

While I do agree a bit, not real sure if there wasn't any other way to have this done any better. At the very least the starbase does grow as you move up the tier chain, into the mushroom that we all know and love.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~kalecto
  • th3gr4ndnagu5th3gr4ndnagu5 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think the fact that the starbase(and other structures) are *already* there when you arrive has something to do with it. It seems like there should have been some low resource requiring missions that actually involved "breaking ground" and building those first tier structures.

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kimmerakimmera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Welcome to the life of a quartermaster. Most of the 'command' end of building anything large is done from a desk. There are construction divisions with foremen doing the actual building.
  • cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It doesnt really feel like you are "building" a starbase. It seems more like just another store you are spending currency in =/
    Indeed, they don't even have any outifts that let our guts hang out and reveal the top of our butt cracks. Cryptic, how can we feel like chippies and brickies without these outfits?
  • cptskeeterukcptskeeteruk Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yeah i actually wanted to build it as a fleet not have it just appear there and you upgrade it. Thats just a cheap way to do it. I wanted to get a in workbee and weld all the parts together :p or at least use a tractor to tow things into position and stuff. You know a kinda sim building experience.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yeah i actually wanted to build it as a fleet not have it just appear there and you upgrade it. Thats just a cheap way to do it. I wanted to get a in workbee and weld all the parts together :p or at least use a tractor to tow things into position and stuff. You know a kinda sim building experience.

that would be fun... freighter drops of supplies.. and you have to beam them aboard 1 at a time and take back and fourth between the stations.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited July 2012
    thay8472 wrote: »
    that would be fun... freighter drops of supplies.. and you have to beam them aboard 1 at a time and take back and fourth between the stations.

Defending freighters while they dropped off the supplies and set up the framework would have been kind of cool :D

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012
    Heh on one level it would be cool... til people realized every freighter lost meant they needed to grind out more resources :)
    edited July 2012
    kimmera wrote: »
    Heh on one level it would be cool... til people realized every freighter lost meant they needed to grind out more resources :)

think most of us are doing that.

the special prodjects are a major drain on resources some of us have been stacking up... then to make it worse.. pick 1 at a time... really?... whoever thought putting 1 particle in at a time deserves to be shot.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Have to write letters to the dead officers families....
  • cptskeeterukcptskeeteruk Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Maybe not every bolt and panel but surely the idea to build a base could have been sections which needed to be researched then fabricated in a industrial replicator then transported to the sb location where it would be built then using either workbees or some sort of construction mode (could be adapted to ships and items so had multi use) to then move and positon said modules and then you sort of snapped them into place with other modules of sorts.

This to me actually would be building a base and working towards one which would be more fun than the current prefab system which is instant built and you just upgrade it in 5 stages. More work for sure but i think it would have paid for itself in the end and would have opened up more construction and building mechanics for other game uses i.e custom made weapons, ships, stations etc.

@thay8472

Our fleet has decided not to do the normal special projects because all them resources are better spent in the main projects because the special projects reward is a very crappy 5 points in military eng and sci which look at what you need to advance a tier is 10,000 seems like just such a waste of time. If the rewards more 100 or so then maybe they might have been worth doing but as it is we rather would put them resources to better use in the main projects. Unless a unique project comes along that has a good reward for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012

Were such a mission actually made, there is no reason it would have to work that way. It could simply be a way to introduce the fleet starbase system and show the framework of the base actually being set up, rather than it magically already being there.

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rdm1958rdm1958 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    well for me the bases exceeded my expectations. i feel right at home there. can't wait to get tier 5 finished. i'm lusting for tricobalt platforms.
  • jtmarshjtmarsh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well you could always build one in your backyard. :)

While I do agree a bit, not real sure if there wasn't any other way to have this done any better. At the very least the starbase does grow as you move up the tier chain, into the mushroom that we all know and love.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~kalecto

Know you cant.. I started one in my backyard but by the time it was 25 foot wide and 2 floors I had the city called on me. IDK if it was the fact that I had a huge wood and paper thing that looked like it was built by a 2yr old that ate to much glue. Or the fact that I had a motion sensor on it and it would play the TNG song on max volume with Bose speakers everytime you got 30 feet from it.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2012
    You are captains within Starfleet. You may even be Admirals.
    The Starfleet Corps of Engineers does the grunt work of manufacturing your starbase. You are simply directing their work.

A full building sim is an entirely different game, and there was no way we were going to be able to do that. In addition, I can't imagine the complaints we'd receive if we just handed everyone a bucket of parts and you had to weld/rivet every piece together. That sounds intensely tedious and boring to me, and I'm a builder.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
    edited July 2012
    tacofangs wrote: »
    A full building sim is an entirely different game, and there was no way we were going to be able to do that.

Obviously. However, you guys definitely could have had an introduction mission where you defend the ships that are setting up the initial framework.

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012
    Were such a mission actually made, there is no reason it would have to work that way. It could simply be a way to introduce the fleet starbase system and show the framework of the base actually being set up, rather than it magically already being there.

Then there would be posts "we get to see the start of our base being built, but never get to see its full construction'

or

"How come the attacks just stop? They are being cheap with content!"
    edited July 2012
    Then there would be posts "we get to see the start of our base being built, but never get to see its full construction'

or

"How come the attacks just stop? They are being cheap with content!"

I'm not sure what you mean by "full construction". The only thing we havent seen thus far is the initial set up. We are going to see each proceeding phase with the upgrades. Also, the attacks dont stop; that is what the starbase defense missions are about.

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    In addition, I can't imagine the complaints we'd receive if we just handed everyone a bucket of parts and you had to weld/rivet every piece together. That sounds intensely tedious and boring to me, and I'm a builder.

I would do it... (Seriously)
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
    edited July 2012
    anazonda wrote: »

ditto... i've spent enough hours on minecraft to know how it all works... we put this block here... that block there.. and walaaa 2 weeks later.. epic starbase.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited July 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    thay8472 wrote: »
    ditto... i've spent enough hours on minecraft to know how it all works... we put this block here... that block there.. and walaaa 2 weeks later.. epic starbase.

Taco's main point, I believe, is that STO is not that type of game. I'm not even sure the STO engine is designed to be able to do that type of thing.

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rjcfoxtrotrjcfoxtrot Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The Starfleet Corps of Engineers does the grunt work of manufacturing your starbase. You are simply directing their work.

A full building sim is an entirely different game, and there was no way we were going to be able to do that. In addition, I can't imagine the complaints we'd receive if we just handed everyone a bucket of parts and you had to weld/rivet every piece together. That sounds intensely tedious and boring to me, and I'm a builder.

*ahem* Dilithium Mining event?

If we've got that, why can there not be a daily where you can contribute something to the Starbase by hopping in a worker bee?

I'm with you that we're Starfleet/Klingon Command Officers that are directing work, but that idea was thrown out the window the moment we got things like the Dilithium Mining Event.
    edited July 2012
    rjcfoxtrot wrote: »

If we've got that, why can there not be a daily where you can contribute something to the Starbase by hopping in a worker bee?

I'm with you that we're Starfleet/Klingon Command Officers that are directing work, but that idea was thrown out the window the moment we got things like the Dilithium Mining Event.

Great point. His logic contradicts what is already in game.

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Great point. His logic contradicts what is already in game.
    Could have forgot about it just for a sec or two. :P It not like that all he thinks about (I hope it not).:rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
    edited July 2012
    fallenhawk wrote: »
    Could have forgot about it just for a sec or two. :P It not like that all he thinks about (I hope it not).:rolleyes:

I'm sure thats true. However if I recall, people made the same argument he was making("that isnt something a captain would do") when the mining event came out, and were rebuffed by the devs. So it sounds like there is disagreement in the dev team's ranks about what perspective the game should be played from.

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Um that is exactly what you do on the Fleet Duty Officer dailies (which give 5 Fleet Merits) on your actual Fleet Starbase. The missions ar all related to eithe starbase upkeep, cargo frieghter management, inspecting cadets, flying iout to inspoect/scan your base facilities, etc. (Kind of annoying though that a lot of theser seem to be broken or half finished and uncompleteable on the KDF side though.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • rjcfoxtrotrjcfoxtrot Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    fallenhawk wrote: »

That's not the only thing though. Ever since there was the decree by Admiral Quinn that Starfleet Captains need to be more hands on, leading away teams instead of the First Officer, as the in game explanation as to why us as Starship Command Officers are doing things like running STF's as 5 man captain teams, non-BOff PvP, Defera Invasion, Nukara Prime invasion, etc.

The game already has you acting more as a MACO team lead than a Starship Captain. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but it really doesn't work as a reason to say we're Starship Captains and shouldn't be doing manual labor when we're already doing stuff that's more tedious/dangerous as a Starship Captain.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2012

You know, that sounds like a fun idea! And I could see the assembly portion after dragging to location, be turned into a type of minigame.

Come to think of it, instead of auto-building, what if instead Starbases were a type of GIGANTIC 3D Puzzle, and actually contruct your starbase in a type of mine-craft fashion. I sort of did this with my Foundry mission in using blocks to construct a starship exterior.

So instead of grinding Fleet marks, you was limited only by resource gathering where crafters had to actually build the components of the Starbases (which would give crafting a real purpose). And the crafters could be limited by the time to construct (lets say for example, 30 minutes per block). Then you have an assembly team who would have to take that block and put it in the correct spot.

Tactical players would have a purpose in the assembly of the defense systems. Engineers be involved with the Power and Thruster systems. And Science the assembly of the Starbase's communications and sensor systems.

You got a point there and funny since its thrusting that "Admirals Delegate" argument back at us. :P

But if it was simplified, it could be fun. For small fleets, it would be like a hobby project. For large fleets, everyone could contribute and once the station is complete, you could have a genuine sense of pride in going, "I built that!"
    Taco's main point, I believe, is that STO is not that type of game. I'm not even sure the STO engine is designed to be able to do that type of thing.

You can in the Foundry.....
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    That's not the only thing though. Ever since there was the decree by Admiral Quinn that Starfleet Captains need to be more hands on, leading away teams instead of the First Officer, as the in game explanation as to why us as Starship Command Officers are doing things like running STF's as 5 man captain teams, non-BOff PvP, Defera Invasion, Nukara Prime invasion, etc.

The game already has you acting more as a MACO team lead than a Starship Captain. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but it really doesn't work as a reason to say we're Starship Captains and shouldn't be doing manual labor when we're already doing stuff that's more tedious/dangerous as a Starship Captain.

Well... maybe it's a step toward the hands off department....
  • clearbeardclearbeard Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Which is a wonderful idea, until you realize you have to grind the same 6 missions plus one ground zone hundreds of times to get fleet marks and only fleet marks. We're not a huge fleet, 10 or so active players lately, with another 10 or so who drop in occasionally, yet we've managed to keep the 3 main projects running more or less constantly. That said, after only one weekend, some of us have already reached the "intensely tedious and boring" stage of the new game content, and we're all gamers. Nukara's not quite as bad, as there are at least some tangible rewards to go with the fleet marks, but just about the last thing this game needed was yet another grindfest. And a construction minigame to assemble components your projects have generated would be awesome. And something fun to do while you're waiting for the 20 hour timers to run down.