test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So, Just What Are Fleet Bases Really For?

blitzpigblitzpig Member Posts: 3 Arc User
Our very small fleet (Task Force 3) has started working on the base, and after a couple of days now it has hit us that these things are pointless.

They serve no purpose that I personally can fathom. There is nothing there that cannot be done at a regular Star Base or Space Dock.

Their only purpose seems to be to eat up "expertise" points, various items from the invetory and Zen.

Help me out here, what are they for again?
Post edited by blitzpig on

Comments

• Options
    shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    They produce new ships and gear that aren't available anywhere else, and the system will probably be expanded to include more things as time goes by, like a new mode of exploration.
  • Options
    raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    to keep us busy while the devs sort things out, I hope that is what they are doing.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Do you have any idea how many years it will take to get these items?

Honestly, the grind for even the basic tier upgrades is impossible for a small fleet.

I see no benefit.
  • Options
    landerx74927landerx74927 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    blitzpig wrote: »
    Our very small fleet (Task Force 3) has started working on the base, and after a couple of days now it has hit us that these things are pointless.

They serve no purpose that I personally can fathom. There is nothing there that cannot be done at a regular Star Base or Space Dock.

Their only purpose seems to be to eat up "expertise" points, various items from the invetory and Zen.

Help me out here, what are they for again?
    That is an easy one...They are for giving players something to do and strive for. Fleet members can work together toward a common goal and in turn create a more social atmosphere. I would rather hang out in a starbase that I helped create and customize then in one that I did not. Also as you earn fleet credits you can exchange them for upgrades and better gear.
  • Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    tier 1 can be done fast (you need to do 10 (militairy) missions, thats about 4 days.
  • Options
    grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    They are just a Zen store you have to grind to aquire so they can milk you for more $
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Honestly, the grind for even the basic tier upgrades is impossible for a small fleet.

I see no benefit.

My fleet is below the recommended size, all casual players and RPers, and we're halfway to T1. I'm willing to bet we can get to T3 in at least a couple of months. It's not as dire as you think.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2012

I see no benefit.

Over the past few days my fleet has had 12 online... We are nearly half way through T1 Military and T1 Eng...

Nothing is impossible if you set your mind to it.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The purpose is:
    1) To give something that players can continuously work toward.
    2) To provide a sink mechanism for Expertise, Dilithium, Commodities and DOFFs.
    3) To provide an incentive for players to commit to the Fleet social structure.
    4) To give developers an additional vector to expand the game.

I'm actually quite interested in how this will develop, with additional Holding types coming online in future Seasons. Imagine tying a revamp of the Exploration/Genesis system to a new outpost holding?
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    bones1970 wrote: »
    tier 1 can be done fast (you need to do 10 (militairy) missions, thats about 4 days.

How do you figure?

Each military mission takes 20 hours to complete. 20 hours * 10 missions = 200 hours. Even if you have an officer available to activate the mission at the end of the previous one, that still sets you back 8.3 days. Not 4.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    meurik wrote: »
    How do you figure?

Each military mission takes 20 hours to complete. 20 hours * 10 missions = 200 hours. Even if you have an officer available to activate the mission at the end of the previous one, that still sets you back 8.3 days. Not 4.

You can run 2 projects simultaneously (actually 3, but the third is of a different track). So you really only have 100 hours.

However, that only unlocks the ability to upgrade. You still need to "do" the project for a track upgrade, and then the project for the base upgrade. Each of those has a 20 hour completion period. So, to get a tier 1 starbase, you are looking at a minimum of 6 days
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Wait, I thought you could only run one project per track at a time??
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    A small fleet (5 people) im part of with only one alt has already done 3 projects
    and at this rate about a week is projected for t1
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    joenatljoenatl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    How have people completed tier I already? My fleets pretty large, our needs are literally filled in minutes and we've been steady since launch and we are not there yet.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Our fleet is tiny, currently only 3 active as most have moved on, and we are adult players that have jobs and real life commitments so cannot play 24/7 like some do.

Oh well, it's a quiet place to spawn into the game, and we at least got rid of the blast shutters.

I just don't see how this advances the story line one little bit.

Oh, um, what story line?
  • Options
    matteo716maikaimatteo716maikai Member Posts: 823
    edited July 2012
    theyre a money sink. nothing else.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Our fleet is tiny, currently only 3 active as most have moved on, and we are adult players that have jobs and real life commitments so cannot play 24/7 like some do.

So're mine. And it's still easy, we have 2 1/2 years of resources to draw on. Getting half way to T1 hasn't really even dented our pool of resources yet, except for DOFFs.

Because really, what else are you going to spend it on?
  • Options
    latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    walshicus wrote: »
    Wait, I thought you could only run one project per track at a time??

You can have up to 3 active projects running. As far as I can tell, you can run 2 of them in the same track (ie 2 military or 2 science or 2 engineering). It won't let you run 3 at the same time.

Upgrade projects, however, can only be run one at a time.
    nyiadnyiad Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    theyre a money sink. nothing else.

^ This pretty much.

And a distraction from what PWE does.
  • Options
    getabigdogupyougetabigdogupyou Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I have to agree with a small fleet even smaller since a lot got upset with the grab for cash box's and went inactive....

There is virtually no way for a small fleet and by small I mean less than 3-5 active out of the 40 in fleet to grind the grind needed to get a star base...

It was designed as a resource sink to keep us all poor and it was designed to do that to large fleets.

Look at the price of a common DOFF security officer on the exchange 600K up from 12 k a month ago thats 5000% inflation in a month its a system designed to keep us all broke while a few exploit the system

God bless the free market and all who support the bull that goes with it
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Anyone else find it strange that I can get a mailbox at a higher tier, or I can hit the mail icon.

Don't those do the same thing?

Anyways, I agree that there really isn't much that we can do that cannot be done at ESD, plus there are additional things like episode replay that can be done at SFA.

But, the bones for expansion are there, especially in terms of an exploration revamp, foundry integration, etc. etc.

Only time will tell if this is yet another almost abandoned new system added to the game, before gears are shifted to a different system.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012

lol... punny :)
  • Options
    gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I have to agree with a small fleet even smaller since a lot got upset with the grab for cash box's and went inactive....

There is virtually no way for a small fleet and by small I mean less than 3-5 active out of the 40 in fleet to grind the grind needed to get a star base...

It was designed as a resource sink to keep us all poor and it was designed to do that to large fleets.

Look at the price of a common DOFF security officer on the exchange 600K up from 12 k a month ago thats 5000% inflation in a month its a system designed to keep us all broke while a few exploit the system

my small fleet whole heartily disagrees we are doing just fine and should be hitting t1 by wendsday with a shipyard and probably have the transwarp gate operational shortly afterwards

doffs are the only thing we are having issues with
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • Options
    mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Anyone else find it strange that I can get a mailbox at a higher tier, or I can hit the mail icon.

Don't those do the same thing?

No. At a terminal you can deal with attachment. With the interface by the minimap, it;s read and send only with no access to attachments.

Hope this helps
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    gpgtx wrote: »
    my small fleet whole heartily disagrees we are doing just fine and should be hitting t1 by wendsday with a shipyard and probably have the transwarp gate operational shortly afterwards

Stupid Doffs :)
    I agree with Voriz.
    While it might take us longer on some of the bigger projects because we are smaller, I have to say that a small fleet (like ours - 20 to 15ish) means that it's easier to feel like you were a part of making things happen.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    gpgtx wrote: »

How small is your fleet, and just how, exactly are you this far along so soon?
  • Options
    edited July 2012

My fleet has about 5 or 6 active players. We're about that far along, although the lack of a reliable Exchange is causing us to run out of DOFFs. We have 2 1/2 years of resources on everything else to call upon, and this hasn't really made much of a dent so far, despite the complaints. Even fleet marks aren't much of a problem, since most of us are playing the new content anyway.

But then, if you don't want the ships, don't want the gear, and don't want to do the work to get them . . . I guess don't build a starbase, then? It's still optional.
  • Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Starbases are a resource & currency sink.

Sure there are a couple of missions, but the ship store & Fleet Ship Module, have devalued Fleet Starbases. Cryptic had better roll out the next stage ASAP or they will flop (ie Exploration & colonies)

It feels very much like a Group Doff System, which is boring.
  • Options
    gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited July 2012

10ish but only 5 are big contributors

i guess we had a decent stock pile form members doing the btran daily and i had a huge dili surplus form when i was grinding to get the gal-r and venture. it was not like we really prepared most of it is we had good EC surpluses from selling loot form STF runs so most things we do not have we can buy
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    jkstocbr wrote: »
    Starbases are a resource & currency sink.

Thing is, I'm not sure this is a bad thing. Sure, it's nice to have huge stockpiles of stuff, but without anything of value to spend it on, it's all worthless.

Fleets cooperating to get ultra-rare items is a good enough reason for me (though I agree about the fleet modules).