test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Where are the Ambassador and Universe Class Ships?

2»

Comments

• Options
    sjameshsjamesh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The J would be WAY to big for the game.
    Say NO to ARC!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    paragon92518paragon92518 Member Posts: 268
    edited July 2012
    I'm still "in-shock" D. Stahl mentioned the Ambassador. Maybe they haven't forgotten about her! :D
  • Options
    fauxpasiiifauxpasiii Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm still "in-shock" D. Stahl mentioned the Ambassador. Maybe they haven't forgotten about her! :D

You're burying the lead... he mentioned "Ambassador and Wells classes" even though we weren't talking about Wells at all. Considering we're anticipating that the Ambassador will come around in a time travel story arc... :)
  • Options
    podsixpodsix Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    fauxpasiii wrote: »
    You're burying the lead... he mentioned "Ambassador and Wells classes" even though we weren't talking about Wells at all. Considering we're anticipating that the Ambassador will come around in a time travel story arc... :)

I don't mean to rain on your conspiracy theory.. but..
    The Enterprise-J, I recall the Devs making a comment about that a long time ago. I would like to say they didn't want it in, but given we were hinted that they wanted the Relativity-class (31st Century) ship being involved in STO, I don't see why not the Enterprise-J being added to STO.

The U.S.S. Relativity was a Wells Class starship. http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Relativity. Someone in this thread DID mention it before Dan chimed in.
    7n4nvF5.png
  • Options
    fauxpasiiifauxpasiii Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    podsix wrote: »
    Someone in this thread DID mention it before Dan chimed in.

Drat. I stand corrected; I overlooked that.
  • Options
    atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    dastahl wrote: »
    J got nixed because the ship's scale makes it wacky in our game.

Other comments about the Ambassador and Well's class are interesting rumors that haven't been confirmed yet... but could be true. :)
    Yeah, another "DS9 Scale Changer" would be wonky. Is it 350m? Or is it 700m?
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, another "DS9 Scale Changer" would be wonky. Is it 350m? Or is it 700m?

the J would be huge to most starbases.... same length if not longer than many of them.
  • Options
    rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The ambassador is long overdue and should have been a day 1 ship sitting in the cruiser line up in place of the 4 nacelle monstrosities.

If this were facebook I would like that so very hard. I (self censored)ing hate the T3 cruisers, I miss the old days when you could plop down 137,000 EC or however much it was to get an Excelsior.
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • Options
    romuzariiromuzarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Enterprise J was a TRIBBLE decision to create and should be forgotten. It's unrealistically huge and I can't stop laughing every time I spot it on the internet.
  • Options
    cusashorncusashorn Member Posts: 461
    edited July 2012
    Wow, that is a seriously ugly ship design, and I thought the Galaxy class was bad enough. A well placed torpedo or a gentle breeze would be enough to snap the pylons holding the warp nacelles. I doubt it would hold up well in combat.
    "My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
    -The Milkshake Song: Vulcan Edition
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    cusashorn wrote: »
    Wow, that is a seriously ugly ship design, and I thought the Galaxy class was bad enough. A well placed torpedo or a gentle breeze would be enough to snap the pylons holding the warp nacelles. I doubt it would hold up well in combat.

heh...

The J is approximately TWO MILES LONG and the Primary Hull is as thick as an Entire Galaxy Ship. (30 decks)

It doesn't use conventional warp drive, it uses a new type of drive that 'Folds Space' and allows the crew to travel to Other Galaxies...

The Pylons are probably a thick as an entire starship also...

One should read a bit before making generalized statements about something one knows nothing about apparently.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Other comments about the Ambassador and Well's class are interesting rumors that haven't been confirmed yet... but could be true. :)

Can you say would of been helpful in the engineering reports so we would not be in the d'angelo dark room all the time.....state of the game is useless, it is too infrequent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    daveyny wrote: »
    heh...

The J is TWO MILES LONG and the Primary Hull is as thick as an Entire Galaxy Ship.

It doesn't use conventional warp drive, it uses a new type of drive that allows the crew to travel to Other Galaxies...

One should read a bit before making generalized statements about something one knows nothing about apparently.

should be noted that most of this is never seen or mentioned on screen. all the wacky specs come from the designer who made it and what he thought it should do rather than what the writers wanted.

i think the only thing seen on screen was the size listed on a wall panel. if they ever add it or if we see it again they could just make it smaller and lose the galaxy hopping drive without too much trouble.

then again maybe a ship that can go to other galaxies is the next step for star trek?
  • Options
    jdalton1jdalton1 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I really want an Ambassador class :P One of my favourite ships of all time and if there will be one, I'd be really happy :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    admlshakeadmlshake Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    romuzarii wrote: »
    Enterprise J was a TRIBBLE decision to create and should be forgotten. It's unrealistically huge and I can't stop laughing every time I spot it on the internet.

The troll is strong with this one...
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    then again maybe a ship that can go to other galaxies is the nest step for star trek?

If you think about it' a Galaxy-Drive isn't implausible given we are entering the Transwarp Phase, which allows Starships to travel across the Galaxy in mere seconds.

And as for exploration, at by the end of Nemesis, the Federation pretty much mapped a good chunk of the Milky Way. At least 1/4th the Gamma Quadrant, a good portion of the Delta Quadrant, the Galactic Center, and at least half the Alpha and Beta Quadrants.

Though one thing does bother me, is that Star Trek might be evolving too fast where its not like Star Wars technology (where it's somewhat stagnated between the TOR years to 5000 years lateR), but more like Babylon 5 where it seems the human race is going to evolve to a higher form. Eh well, doubt it ever will happen, but to me it sure does feel like it.
  • Options
    gr8captaingr8captain Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think we already have to many of the old ship in the game. my god this game is suppose to be 2409 and you all are crying about not having the amby which was old in the Next Gen days or that huge abortion that is the Enterprize J which will not be built for another 100 years.

Progress not Regress
    You Klingon TRIBBLE You Killed My Son.
  • Options
    vesphavespha Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    They're in the place as the complete Klingon faction episodes are....Romulan faction...the other STF's ...and anything else Cryptic made that would of totally made this game better...the garbage.
    "We all change, when you think about it, we're all different people; all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited July 2012

But the Ambassador has been confirmed, in Geko's Subspace Radio Interview:
    askray wrote: »
    Transcription:
    Geko:I'm not sure how that one fold I don't know if that means it will still be free and make it may not be free we may put it in the fleet store, maybe add maybe a t-three and a t-five version still unclear but in one way or another ambassador is coming.
  • Options
    waveofthefuturewaveofthefuture Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Relativity could be an interesting ship. However, if you look at some of the abilities it has when it appears in differing games, from flash to strategy. It would be a ridiculously OP'd ship. So much so that it would basically be the last word in ship design. The ship can time travel, its phasers go through normal shields, it has temporal shielding, its torpedos are the same (go through shields, heck, maybe even armor).

Maybe it could make an appearance in a mission. But please do not put it in game unless you plan to nerf it to death.
  • Options
    cpthardcovercpthardcover Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    gr8captain wrote: »
    I think we already have to many of the old ship in the game. my god this game is suppose to be 2409 and you all are crying about not having the amby which was old in the Next Gen days or that huge abortion that is the Enterprize J which will not be built for another 100 years.

Progress not Regress

It's called a retrofit. From Dictionary.com:

ret*ro*fit   [v. re-troh-fit, re-troh-fit; n., adj. re-troh-fit] ret*ro*fit*ted or ret*ro*fit, ret*ro*fit*ting, noun, adjective

verb (used with object)
    1. to modify equipment (in airplanes, automobiles, a factory, etc.) that is already in service using parts developed or made available after the time of original manufacture.
    2. to install, fit, or adapt (a device or system) for use with something older: to retrofit solar heating to a poorly insulated house.

verb (used without object)
    3. (of new or modified parts, equipment, etc.) to fit into or onto existing equipment.
    4. to replace existing parts, equipment, etc., with updated parts or systems.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, the Ambassador is coming.

Well, not the Ambassador grandmasterbushell is talking about. More like Ambassador II.
  • Options
    milner62milner62 Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    romuzarii wrote: »

The size was based off the design that it was ment to travel to other galaxies. Sure it would be too big for use in STO and take up a large chunk of sector space. But doesnt change the fact that when that design was designed, its dimensions were based off a ship that would travel great distances. Not to mention it was also designed to be a multi-generational ship where many generations of the crew will stay aboard her like a starship city. Sort of like how Atlantis from SG:Altantis is a city but a starship at the same time.
    heh...

The J is approximately TWO MILES LONG and the Primary Hull is as thick as an Entire Galaxy Ship. (30 decks)

It doesn't use conventional warp drive, it uses a new type of drive that 'Folds Space' and allows the crew to travel to Other Galaxies...

Well some people like to make comments without reading up on a subject first. I see that all too much in all forums that I visit.
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,648 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    We already know the legal dust is settling with regards to Vesta. My gut says we'll see Ambassador(s) in due time as well. A game like this has to spread its wealth of IP inspiration, else we have not much to look forward to.

I suppose it really does depend upon how many Ambassador-class variants they want to offer the game. The basic, TNG version is a readily available design. But if Cryptic has interest in the original, Probert version (as seen in concept paintings) or otherwise, that takes lengthy, legal wrangling. Just look at the tedious, process of getting settled on the Vesta-class. And that's with willing interest in offering it from its original artist.

(/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    cusashorncusashorn Member Posts: 461
    edited July 2012
    heh...

Two miles? That's all? I seriously doubt that the hull could possibly be thicker than a Galaxy measured from the top of the saucer to the botttom of the secondary hull. The Galaxy is the largest ship in Trek Canon, and during those few times they show someone looking out a viewport while the camera pans out to show the ship, you get a fairly relative size comparison of the rest of the ship, and I can tell that walking from ten-forward to the back of the 2ndary hull would cover almost 2 miles itself.

Those pictures of the J don't show the grand magnitude of its supposed size, making it very doubtful that those twig pylons are thicker and wider than your standard starship. Especially how thin the saucer looks.
    "My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
    -The Milkshake Song: Vulcan Edition
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]