test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

With Season 6 Fleet-Centric...

vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,912 Arc User
For those who prefer not to join a fleet, they are screwed when it comes to new ships/content...

and the fleet advancement, will this be something that is at the discretion of the fleet owners, or will it be an advancement system like already exists?

Inquireing minds, and all that
sig.jpg
Post edited by vetteguy904 on

Comments

• mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    unikon wrote: »
    It sucks that this stuff is blocked by fleet access. But I have a feeling that this thread is going to turn into "OMG join a fleetz" soon.

Either that or other players complaining with a "OMG Another thread complaining about this?" :)

Simple solution if it;s of interest: Create a one player fleet. I have no want to join a fleet but even I will probably do this.
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    For those who prefer not to join a fleet, they are screwed when it comes to new ships/content...

and the fleet advancement, will this be something that is at the discretion of the fleet owners, or will it be an advancement system like already exists?

Inquireing minds, and all that

Fleet stuff is at the discretion of the Fleet leaders. but if you are being asinine about it. They fleet members stop contributing and progress slows to a crawl.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,912 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    quite possibly. however i had enough of the high school drama that always accompanies guilds/fleets whatever you want to call them according to whatever game you play.

basically, if to get the plus 1 /tier 6 ships you have to join a fleet, and your advancement is dependent on someone not employed by PWE, then i will be leaving the game.

and last time i checked you needed 5 to form a fleet
    sig.jpg
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Fleets in this game are a joke as it is, there aren't enough consistent people online and in-game to sustain active fleets for very long. It's hard to find fleets that have people communicating in them everyday that last a long time. I've been in about 20 fleets during my time in this game during the last 3 years, and I haven't found one yet that sustains active communication in the fleet. It may last a few months, and when the game was new they were active, but fleets don't last long in this game. People lose interest, once they get to level 50 there is nothing to do so they stop playing, and the fleet dies. Fleets are pretty much mainly good for new players, or players leveling up. For people at level 50, and have been at end-game for 2 years, it's hard to find active fleets.

Therefore, Season 6 sucks in the sense that it focuses on something that isn't active enough. It'd be like spending a whole season on PvP, which no one hardly plays anymore.

I wish instead Season 6 had focused on end-game content, or new featured series or episodes. Some new content that keep people active in the game would be nice.
  • brodie0854brodie0854 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I work messed up hours, some weeks im working over night, others im up early in the morning and home by 3pm, therefore my game play time is equally sporadic.
    Because of this and because i like to do my own thing i have not joined a fleet.

But not wanting to miss out on all the fleety goodness coming our way i have created my own fleets, one each for my Fed and KDF, all with the help of some kind people responding to my shouts out in Zone chat.
    They helped me form it and then left, i then invited my alts and hey presto single person fleet!

From what i've read and been told by the devs on TTS, they are aware of a large number of single player + Alts fleets and have designed the Fleet system with us loners in mind.
    You can advance your fleet just the same way a "normal" fleet can, sure it will take considerably longer, but its do-able.

So you arent gonna miss out on anything.
  • wildmousexwildmousex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I remember reading either here or in the chat about someone saying that it was possible to have 1 person fleet's just by having people help you start it, then populate it with your own alts, and then they leave. - - usually you'll have to pay them off with something, but if this works, then you're not out anything.

if it doesn't work, I've ran into situations like this with making guilds for other mmo's, and my experiences with pug guilds has been mostly positive. alot of people are in this same situation, would be willing to do their part if it helps them get their goal as well, and since you meet them while you're playing, are most likely going to be playing the same general time as you. - - - just be smart about it, don't put anything you care about into the fleet bank and stuff like that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Me playing UT2k4 (red guy) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz0DnP7wXnU
  • floridaguy74656#7162 floridaguy74656 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Removed There Is No Point
    Former Join Date : July 2008
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Colony invasion, no win scanario and the tholians incursion can all be played without being in a fleet

the others, starbase defence, red alert, incursion and blockade, all you need to do is to be in a fleet to play them. it does not matter how many people are in the fleet. just being there will allow you to team with other people who are in fleets. so just find any fleet and join up. there are hundreds of casual fleets that wont require anything of you and you can play the events. you might even join a fleet you like and find you can have more fun that you realised.
  • kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Here is the thing.... the Fleet based content and the rewards therein are designed to reward players who work together for a common goal. If you are whining (Because that is exactly what this is) that you want the new ships, but don't wanna join no stupid fleet. The whole point of this is to encourage players to form fleets and fight together.

If you want the Ships, you have to join a fleet, get along with people, and then contribute to the fleet. The same thing if you want something in real life. Sometimes, you have to go to work, put on a stupid uniform, work with people you don't like, and tell idiots the difference between a Whooper and a Big Mac. But HEY, you get a paycheck at the end of the week, and life goes on.

If you want to be anti-social, that is fine. It's your game. Play it how you want. However, dont expect the Devs or anyone else to hand you fleet rewards because you ask nicely. You want them? Go earn them...
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    There are fleets out there who simply specialize in being a "non-fleet-invite" system.
    A obvious solution would be to request access to one of thoose.

However, there are also fleets out there who specialize in simply creating a community, rather than having strict rules about how often you have to spend time with the others.

Just as an example, one of the basic rules in my fleet is to "let players play, the way the want to".
    We focus more on having people we know and trust to do team missions with, and as a resource base... We don't do much PvP (barely any), and we only depend on each other for STF's and team missions (such as defera).
    The rest of the time, we let people go their own ways, do missions solo, collect dilithium on their own and stuff like that.

Basically you could go around doing things as you always have, but still have the benefit of the fleet rewards, since you would have to collect the resources on your own anyways.

So my, or a similar fleet is the less preferable option to you.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • sjclark1981sjclark1981 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Fleets in this game are a joke as it is, there aren't enough consistent people online and in-game to sustain active fleets for very long. It's hard to find fleets that have people communicating in them everyday that last a long time. I've been in about 20 fleets during my time in this game during the last 3 years, and I haven't found one yet that sustains active communication in the fleet. It may last a few months, and when the game was new they were active, but fleets don't last long in this game. People lose interest, once they get to level 50 there is nothing to do so they stop playing, and the fleet dies. Fleets are pretty much mainly good for new players, or players leveling up. For people at level 50, and have been at end-game for 2 years, it's hard to find active fleets.

Therefore, Season 6 sucks in the sense that it focuses on something that isn't active enough. It'd be like spending a whole season on PvP, which no one hardly plays anymore.

I wish instead Season 6 had focused on end-game content, or new featured series or episodes. Some new content that keep people active in the game would be nice.

I've had my fleet since day 1 of live.. altho we are small we have been active pretty much 24/7 as some of us are in uk the others are usa. I personally have started to recruit new blood into the mix and so far gained some really good people.. I have no issues with the new content I think its a much needed link to get our big community being more social and willing to work, its only the lepers, loners and moaners that will sit at the back cuz their attitudes suck towards others.

P.S our fleet name is : Starfleet Temporal Corps
    edited July 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    There are fleets out there who simply specialize in being a "non-fleet-invite" system.
    A obvious solution would be to request access to one of thoose.

However, there are also fleets out there who specialize in simply creating a community, rather than having strict rules about how often you have to spend time with the others.

Just as an example, one of the basic rules in my fleet is to "let players play, the way the want to".
    We focus more on having people we know and trust to do team missions with, and as a resource base... We don't do much PvP (barely any), and we only depend on each other for STF's and team missions (such as defera).
    The rest of the time, we let people go their own ways, do missions solo, collect dilithium on their own and stuff like that.

Basically you could go around doing things as you always have, but still have the benefit of the fleet rewards, since you would have to collect the resources on your own anyways.

So my, or a similar fleet is the less preferable option to you.

Totally agree with you and your methods to playing and having other members play their style, its the same with our fleet, we say play how u like, just enjoy yourself if they like RP and throw it my way hell I RP back heh... all I ask of my members is wear the darn fleet patch heh, We all work together getting resources for everything even the dilithium materials are bought and stored/used for all who need it.
  • wolfdelyonwolfdelyon Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You do know it's an MMO and not a single-player game, right? It makes sense for them to encourage you to play with others and reward cooperation, friendship and community. Not all the rewards need to be based on solo-oriented leveling or gameplay.

As for your experience with fleets/guilds - there are some good ones and some bad ones out there, just like everything else. I tried/considered a few fleets before joining my current one, and found many to be annoying or useless, but my current fleet is just great. We've been running together for almost a year now. I joined it when it was just established and began to grow, and I've seen it stabilize, grow and get better/professional. We have our own website, ventrilo voice chat (which we use to communicate on a daily basis), regular events and fleet meetings, mentoring program, and an some in-game channel. We work together to help each other and progress, we form alliances with other fleets, and we do not require anyone to do anything that's not fun for them (as log as they log in to the game at least once a month, which is quite reasonable in my opinion). Finding a good fleet is not easy, but it is very rewarding, so I do recommend you use this opportunity to make an effort and find one.

I also play other MMOs occasionally, and I also have guilds in them. I usually look for casual guilds, and I state right from the beginning that may main game is STO, so I will only be on every once in a while, and I always make sure I join one with it's own voice chat so that I can easily communicate with them. So far, it's worked nicely. What do you actually have to lose from trying to socialize?

LLAP :)
  • shakesfistatskyshakesfistatsky Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I've been in 4 different fleets. The first three were drama filled nightmares. One was so paramilitaristic that I thought I was reliving my SCA days from college. The second was run by a teenage girl who flirted with everyone and created such drama with her antics that she managed to get the fleet and herself banned.

I finally created one just for real-life friends and although there's only 5 of us right now, at least I know there will be no idiocy. It may take us forever to grind for a Tier 5 shipyard as we are mostly casual types but the lack of headache will be worth it.
    I survived the 2012 Forum Merge - Join Date 11/2008
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,912 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Thanks for those who did give encouraging feedback...

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~kalecto
    sig.jpg
    edited July 2012
    Thanks for those who did give encouraging feedback...

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~kalecto

Yea pretty much agree, I'm a casual gamer too and I play to chill out after work and just unwind.

Oh that reminds me is there any fleet out there that wants to ally with ourselves, obviously fleets get full and we are happy to take on noobs and vets alike.
  • zadamazadama Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The problem I have with some fleets is the way they're organised. You have a heirachy within the fleet, with those at the top thinking they can tell their "underlings" how to play the game. I play a game to relax, not to conform to a pseudo-militaristic rule set.

From Day One, STO has been a single player oriented MMO. Nobody can deny that, or call people out for it - it is the way the game has been promoted, and you can't call people names because that's the way they want to play the game.
  • gremlingremlin Member Posts: 0
    edited July 2012
    zadama wrote: »
    The problem I have with some fleets is the way they're organised. You have a heirachy within the fleet, with those at the top thinking they can tell their "underlings" how to play the game. I play a game to relax, not to conform to a pseudo-militaristic rule set.

From Day One, STO has been a single player oriented MMO. Nobody can deny that, or call people out for it - it is the way the game has been promoted, and you can't call people names because that's the way they want to play the game.

my fleet wont tell you how to play the game ^_^ but we do require that you actually play the game. we also require that you talk and play nice with others. If you are communicative and playing we don't care what you do with your time online.
  • zadamazadama Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    gremlin wrote: »
    my fleet wont tell you how to play the game ^_^ but we do require that you actually play the game. we also require that you talk and play nice with others. If you are communicative and playing we don't care what you do with your time online.

Ahah, don't get me wrong, I know that there are a lot of friendly fleets out there. Besides, talking/playing nice should be standard, considering we should all have basic manners and a level of social decorum. I've had great experiences with guilds in other MMOs, but there's something about being called "Fleet Admiral" that makes some people think they're entitled to respect, and to lord their will over other players.
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    and last time i checked you needed 5 to form a fleet

dunno if it was already mentioned, but you may could just go to esd,and there ask in zone-chat if anoyone helps you with fleet-founding (for a lil' gift: f.e. 100k ec). they can leave after you set up your fleet. my bet is, it won't take long
  • ozewaozewa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Or you could just play the unblocked content until you have a good number of fleet marks, join a high level fleet for a day, get what you want and get out.
    President of the Amnian Illithid Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC). Please spread the word that the term "Mind Flayer" is a derogatory term to our kind.
  • zodiemishzodiemish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ozewa wrote: »
    Or you could just play the unblocked content until you have a good number of fleet marks, join a high level fleet for a day, get what you want and get out.

^ I like this human... He is intelligent, and knows how to work the system.

As for not wanting to join a fleet. That is perfectly fine to do. I only have one alt in a fleet, but most of my alts remain fleet less.

That being said OP. this is an MMO. it is meant the be multiplayer, and while you can get what you want alone. MMOs are designed to be able to get what you want in a group faster.

So yeah. while you can grind up your fleet points and join a fleet for a day to raid.. I mean shop their fleet stores. You would be better off finding a fleet and doing it with them. But once again. it all depends on how much time do you want to put into it. Going alone will be harder but it can be done.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If you need these new uber-ships in order to survive the possibly much tougher story content that's supposed to come is Season 7, I'll be pretty disappointed since that would be forcing me into a fleet AKA playing in a way I'm not interested in playing.

Otherwise, the game is exceptionally solo player-friendly and I see no problem with finally giving the team players something to work for. I'm not going to cry over not being able to get a five console Olympic and neither should anyone else.
    <3
  • carl103carl103 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    That being said OP. this is an MMO. it is meant the be multiplayer, and while you can get what you want alone. MMOs are designed to be able to get what you want in a group faster.

Yes but as a rule MMO's don't force you to join fleets, (or the specific MMO equivelent), to be able to do that. You can do that solo from such things if you so choose.

Though the fact that you can create a fleet solo is nice to know :).
  • zodiemishzodiemish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    carl103 wrote: »
    Yes but as a rule MMO's don't force you to join fleets, (or the specific MMO equivelent), to be able to do that. You can do that solo from such things if you so choose.

Though the fact that you can create a fleet solo is nice to know :).

I think you repeated everything I just said. lol

But it is true. MMOs don't force you to join a guild / clan / fleet / corp. but MMOs do ( normally ) reward you if you work as a group. ( or in this case easier to get the rewards. )
    It is not impossible to get the end game loot, best armor, or what ever alone in an MMO, but it is a lot easier if do it as a group.

which goes back to the design of massively multiplayer games.
  • o4q123o4q123 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I know at one point someone at Cryptic in one of the online interviews stated they were considered dropping the 5 person minimum to start a fleet. Anyone heard anything one way or the other on this?
  • sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    o4q123 wrote: »
    I know at one point someone at Cryptic in one of the online interviews stated they were considered dropping the 5 person minimum to start a fleet. Anyone heard anything one way or the other on this?

They haven't done it yet on the test server. If people keep asking it may happen though.
  • arcademasterarcademaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If you can't afford 400k EC to pay off a few people to help you found it at ESD then I can assure you you won't have the ressources to build a Starbase for yourself.
  • pigeonofclaypigeonofclay Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Don't worry. I never charge people to help create a fleet. Always happy to help someone out. Others did the same for me. :)

I do have to leave my own fleet to help someone else, but I just log in as a different character and invite myself back in. We're ALL Fleet Admirals in my fleet! :D
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    o4q123 wrote: »

I think they met significant resistance to that... SO much in fact that it was quietly shelfed... Think of it... how long has it been since you've even heard mention of that since 2010 (when it was in ask cryptic if memory serves)
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas