new fleet restrictions will kill fleets

2»

Comments

• Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    boglejam73 wrote: »
    This statement violates the first rule of DB detection:

1.) Anyone who self-proclaims to not be a douche is, in fact, a total douche of the highest magnitude and may even be a hipster-douche as well.

(kidding. I'm sure you aren't a douche.)

I can be if required, or provoked... but generally not.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    xantris wrote: »
    except if you spent your time and resources helping said fleet unlock and build up their base, and then get screwed when the fleet lead clamps down so that his friends can get the good stuff.

No, the fleet loses its "you want to work with people for the greater good" aspect when you force joining fleets for the best items in the game.

If your going to have this sort of system in place you need to limit the ways a single individual can TRIBBLE over a group of people. This isn't Eve.

I can understand the want to protect inventories from new recruits. That should be easy enough to do without giving out so much overarching power.

yes there is always a chance that a player can TRIBBLE you over in the last minute. but there is also the chance a fleet leader can kick everyone at the last minute as well. this is a power they already have. are we saying they should not have the ability to kick players as well, because that will do exactly the same thing even without this new system?

if a fleet leader decides to be a jerk right at the end (which is unlikely but possible), you the player still keep all your credits. you can join any other fleet, and there will always be other fleets that are just as developed or maybe better developed. bases are pretty much all the same. its not like everyone is unique. they all upgrade the same way, just in different orders.

you might then find a genuine fleet run by genuine people because if they last guy screwed you over then he is not worth knowing. better to find out sooner than later.

any fleet leader can be a jerk with the power he already has. this system allows them to protect the whole fleet from raiders early on and make sure new players dont TRIBBLE you over either.

the end of the day, this is an mmo and there is always someone lurking somewhere reading to strike and take advantage of a situation. these rules wont stop someone beinga jerk but i believe it can reduce it a little.
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Maybe its time to make fleet leaders ELECTED (for a fixed term) and require a majority vote to demote / promote / boot anyone
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    NO... it wont... It might destroy your fleet, but it wont destroy mine, because I am not a douche.,..

Maybe you want to talk to your leader since he is apparently a idiot, who mistreats you..

^^ Love this post! And completely agree with it!

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • Options
    njsjedinjsjedi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    i think that it has it's pros more than cons, we have a rank in our fleet peeps on the lower ranks have less rights, to earn the rights you add to the banks, it will be same for the marks, the only thing which might be nice could be to limit how many items each rank can take out (like the bank).

Just an idea!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Fleet builds the fleet

join date Feb 10
    twitter us at sccfleet.
  • Options
    klytemnestra1klytemnestra1 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    elric071 wrote: »
    In the fleet I am in (and a founder of) we have a rank system, too. Using the bank as an example, when you are first let into the fleet (a Cadet) you have no bank rights at all. When you get promoted the first time, you can then take things in the first three tabs freely. We only ask that you deposit something as well (EC's or something of the same MK as you took). We use an honor system, mostly, so we really don't check up on what is deposited or withdrawn.

The next time you are promoted within our fleet ranking system, you can take from all tabs except the last. The last tab is where we keep all our MK X, XI and XII equipment or ultra rare non-bound stuff. To take those, you need to either talk to one of the Ruling Council or our Quartermaster. This holds true for EC's as well. No one can take EC's without permission. There are 7 of us on the Ruling Council, so this is a natural check/balance to a "clique-ey" situation arising where one person and his "special" friends get all the good loot. This system works very well for our fleet, and we have never had any issues with this method.

Now we have already talked about this new system of restricting individual contributors for the Starbases. As others in this thread have said, we plan on using a system like the one we use for our bank and apply it to the fleet stores. Earn your rank, get what you want....:eek: We, as the Council, will probably get some of the new stuff in the fleet store, that is naturally going to happen. But we will also let anyone who has earned the FC's and achieved proper rank in the fleet to also get all these new goodies too. We aren't going to TRIBBLE over our fleet members, we wouldn't have a fleet anymore. That is just bad business.

I can see why the OP has concerns, but as others have said, there are 1000's of fleets (just a guess) so if the one you are in is TRIBBLE over the junior members, find another. There has to be a fleet out there for you. If not, start your own. It is easy enough to find 4 other people on ESD to help you start your fleet and don't mind being kicked immediatly so you can have your own fleet of one and your very own starbase to use as you choose.

Sorry for the long winded reply, but that is my thoughts on this anyway :D

Your intentions are well intended, but once you set up a system where one group of people put in but do not receive the same benefit as others in the fleet, you have skewed the fair system so that you take more and others get less. There is a better way.

Clearly Communism.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    klytemnestra1klytemnestra1 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    yes there is always a chance that a player can TRIBBLE you over in the last minute. but there is also the chance a fleet leader can kick everyone at the last minute as well. this is a power they already have. are we saying they should not have the ability to kick players as well, because that will do exactly the same thing even without this new system?

if a fleet leader decides to be a jerk right at the end (which is unlikely but possible), you the player still keep all your credits. you can join any other fleet, and there will always be other fleets that are just as developed or maybe better developed. bases are pretty much all the same. its not like everyone is unique. they all upgrade the same way, just in different orders.

you might then find a genuine fleet run by genuine people because if they last guy screwed you over then he is not worth knowing. better to find out sooner than later.

any fleet leader can be a jerk with the power he already has. this system allows them to protect the whole fleet from raiders early on and make sure new players dont TRIBBLE you over either.

the end of the day, this is an mmo and there is always someone lurking somewhere reading to strike and take advantage of a situation. these rules wont stop someone beinga jerk but i believe it can reduce it a little.

A sign you are in a bad fleet is the leader uses the term MMO to describe the game. If a fleet leader cannot use the term MMORPG, it is not a good fleet. MMORPG is not the same as saying MMO. It is like writing Football and soccer are the same thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hrci2907hrci2907 Member Posts: 648 Media Corps
    edited July 2012
    A sign you are in a bad fleet is the leader uses the term MMO to describe the game. If a fleet leader cannot use the term MMORPG, it is not a good fleet. MMORPG is not the same as saying MMO. It is like writing Football and soccer are the same thing.

for your information soccer is football! the term football is used all over the world to describe a sport that you call soccer, only you americans use the term football to describe your sport "american football"! foot - ball a sport thats played with your foot and the ball! get it :D
    "This is your ultimate STO Youtube channel!"
    https://youtube.com/user/MyBalkanGaming
  • Options
    vinru821vinru821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    150% will be another cryptic fail at something good.

There was no need to add in limited ship refits and such.

Should have just been available to all when the base reaches certain levels. Maybe with points that you earn by completing fleet stuff yourself/together, but no restrictions on who and how many you can buy!!! come the **** on guys. :mad: get a damn idea. :mad:

The ONLY reason they are doing it in the way they are is to keep people playing and trying to get the stuff... but IS THAT the BEST way to do it????

IMO.. NO

But Bravo cryptic at another ****ty idea. Please remember to release the Starbase patch with at least 50 bugs. Then take 18 months to fix it.
    :eek:
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Other than the fact football and soccer are the same thing in this part of the world, what on earth does calling a game an MMO and an MMORPG have to do with anything in this thread or any thread for that matter?
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think you guys have good intentions, but are not reading the problem well. The solutions you guys are suggesting are being forced upon you because the economy of Starbases makes no sense at all. There is no relationship in the Starbase economy between fleet credits and operational assets. That's a design flaw, not a fleet management challenge.

Ding. Ding. Ding. Winner!
  • Options
    plox21plox21 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I know that in my fleet i will not restrict any player in hes intention to get good stuff , because you have starbase assigments and starbase defense PvE to get fleet credits.
    I know that i could easy say to my fleet members that you need to be officer to get acces for fleet starbase assigments but i will never do that , even the lowest rank will have permission to do the assigments(if that means that i will need a month to get new ship i can wait:cool:).
    My fleet will recruit ppl before the new fleet starbases come and when they come we will close recruitment , this will give all members better options to get new stuff from fleet store because we will not accept ppl when fleet starbases patch come.
    This is not my recruitment message , its just a FACT:P.

Im not from US or GB so forgive me for my bad english.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    proteus22 wrote: »
    what i am mainly talking about is the latest patch the restrictions placed in it i am a col. in my fleet and i have put the most effort into base because i have been laid up last 3 weeks from knee surgery so i am generally online before the patch i could contribute and buy from base now i cant do anything but look at base when it came time to upgrade base i was only one online and all i could do was look at the base. with new restrictions unless you are general in fleet you can't do anything fleet wise except play fleet missions like starbase blockade i havent gotten up with leaders to ask for poromotion or for them to change settings because they have jobs and are rarely on i am currently sitting on 2.1 million fleet credits but cant do anything with them

Actually that is not true. The restrictions you are mentioning can be adjusted by those with sufficient privileges within the fleet. I ran into the same issue... Talk to your fleet leadership, its a couple mouse clicks and your particular issue is solved.

• Options
    tankalot42otankalot42o Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    i am also a fleet leader, i will not be restricting any of my fleet members from donating or purchasing, i think its pretty TRIBBLE to do so.

its a first come first serve, everyone will have the same chance i give myself

after all as leader i am just a coordinator and enforcer of the rules that my fleet wish enforced.

i serve my fleet they do not serve me.

we are all equals
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    d5280d5280 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    this is one of the reasons that I am really not looking forward to season 6. I'm in a fleet now, but it is pretty empty, and I feel both lost and ignored. But this has been the case in every fleet i've been in! (5 now) They work if you are in the command structure, but that fills up quickly, so the only time that you stand a chance to get the perks is if you founded the fleet.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Seems that you have had a bad run of fleets, and that is unfortunate. I personally enjoy the fleet I am in now (granted I was a founder) and I sincerely hope that any member of my fleet doesn't feel the way you do now.

As a previous poster put it, a fleet leader (IMHO a good fleet leader) is there to serve the fleet, not have the fleet serve them. I try to talk, and engage, everyone in chat, fleet actions, stf's, running leveling with lower ranked players... All I can say is keep looking. There is a fleet out there for you.... Build comraderie, provide services (vent, website, etc)... In the end, I started the fleet to boost the enjoyment level for the members.

I respect that some of you have had bad fleet experiences, and my advice is always the same... Keep looking... You'll find a wide variety out there... From role players, to just casual players, to hard core fanatics.... Or a blend of all three. Small fleets, large fleets, dead fleets, active fleets....

Keep looking Goldylocks, one of the fleets out there will be just right for you.

• Options
    esuziesuzi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I had thought this would be a good idea until I poked around on Tribble.

Limiting people to can/can't just seems odd, especially considering the system present for fleet banks. If this system were transferred over to bases, it would definitely help ensure more people get to contribute, and rewards can be divided in a more practical manner.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,827 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Ok before you call me a bad leader, this is the situation I am trying to avoid.

Player A joins Fleet B contributes to fleet projects - earns credits, player A gets kicked for being an A**hole. He then joins Fleet C dose the same thing, gets kicked for being an A** hole. He dose this a few times, he now has more than enough credits to buy anything he wants. He now joins Fleet F who has No buying restrictions for new comers, player A now rips off the Fleet store and leaves.

As I said before to get promoted from Cadet in my Fleet is easy (just have to join our website and wait for 8 days, a cooling off period if you will) If you can not be bothered to do this, then quiet frankly you are not the kind of person I want in the fleet, so you remain at Cadet.

I run a fair system that the entire feet understands and is happy with, I am by no means telling you how to run your Fleet. I was just adding my opinion to this thread, that you cannot be Ripped off by your Fleet leader!

If you earn enough credits to buy stuff but your leader is unwilling to let you when questioned join another fleet, OR make your own. You will still keep ALL the credits you have earned so far!

I would hope the fleet store purchases would be bind on pickup so at least if they did something like that they couldn't profit from it. If someone did that they would have to be one hell of a jackass good for nothing...but it wouldn't shock me if people threw away all of there effort just to simply grief others.

So both sides of the coin have there points I think, starbase resources should probably have rank restrictions instead of simple blanket restrictions.
  • Options
    tankalot42otankalot42o Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    lianthelia wrote: »
    I would hope the fleet store purchases would be bind on pickup so at least if they did something like that they couldn't profit from it. If someone did that they would have to be one hell of a jackass good for nothing...but it wouldn't shock me if people threw away all of there effort just to simply grief others.

So both sides of the coin have there points I think, starbase resources should probably have rank restrictions instead of simple blanket restrictions.

i agree that fleet items and ships should be bind on pick-up

i DONT agree with any limits on how much a person can donate maybe the answer is to only alow a person to own 1 type of ea ship? but to restrict how much a person can donate is dumb because everyone should beable to give it if they got it

ive said it b4 and ill say it again, if u have a small fleet and all the players hit thier max donations for the day/hours/wutever, and the project dnt have enough to start then that fleet has effectively been stopped from progressing because of fleet size

yes ppl have lots of resources saved up BUT.........with the total amount needed to make it to max base level i promise those reserves will go very fast so every one will get to donate
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    torbettontorbetton Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I just test on tribble side, so I don't get to see all the restrictions and check marks that a fleet leader can do to its members. But already, I'm seeing a large disconnect between those who run a fleet, and those who are in a fleet. Running a fleet is a full time job. At least for the larger ones. And the larger ones have to worry about trolls on a constant basis. Leaders of this kind of guild who invest this much time into the fleet want to see it succeed. I don't know of any large fleet, that the leader has the intention of TRIBBLE the fleet over.

Now for the fleet members perspective. Being as there are so many fleets out there, I don't have to worry about logging in first thing in the morning and hearing about such and such member calling another member a cracker jack and having to iron out the problem before it turns into a fleet wide drama event. Or have to spend an hour walking a new member to the fleet through all the basic info like website, global channel rules and how to get to it, TS/Vent log in information and explaing fleet structure when all I realy want to do is just do a round of STFs, bs, and then log out. All I do is log in, do my own thing, and if I feel like playing with someone, look up the fleet roster or talk in the guild chat and see if some one wants to do something. In a small fleet, finding some one in the guild who is online at the time is a hard thing, and if some one is online, seeing if they are interested in doing what I want. Large fleets provide this advantage, there is always many people on at any given time, and at least two of them are up for what I want to do. I like seeing structure in a fleet, but if I didn't trust the fleet leaders, I would be out of said fleet.

The way I see it, is similar to a fleet bank. Some fleets don't have any restriction on the bank at all. This works well with a fleet of friends. This doesn't work to well with a larger fleet that recruits new members, especially when those new members are fleet shopping. It never is cool to log in the next day and see the bank was ***** by one guy who joined a hour earlier and already left. So that is an example of a troll on the low rung of the ladder.

An example from the high end, if logging in, and then finding that the fleet you were in, had a major Drama break down and so a new leader takes over and then kicks out every one who opposed him in the beginning. Yes, it happens, and you have to move on at that point. If the fleet leaders are dueches to begin with, the fleet they lead doesn't get to big any ways and doesn't have any members to really worry about putting a restriction on in the first place.

And for the record, I have no problems with joining a fleet that has reasonable restriction, Like solantolval's. It is an attempt to protect its loyal members, who should have priority. Loyalty used to mean something, it doesn't any more. Also it is a good attempt to keep people from trolling your fleet. It only takes one troll, and there are a bunch of them in STO.
  • Options
    sosolidshoesosolidshoe Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    torbetton wrote: »
    I just test on tribble side, so I don't get to see all the restrictions and check marks that a fleet leader can do to its members. But already, I'm seeing a large disconnect between those who run a fleet, and those who are in a fleet. Running a fleet is a full time job. At least for the larger ones. And the larger ones have to worry about trolls on a constant basis. Leaders of this kind of guild who invest this much time into the fleet want to see it succeed. I don't know of any large fleet, that the leader has the intention of TRIBBLE the fleet over.

Now for the fleet members perspective. Being as there are so many fleets out there, I don't have to worry about logging in first thing in the morning and hearing about such and such member calling another member a cracker jack and having to iron out the problem before it turns into a fleet wide drama event. Or have to spend an hour walking a new member to the fleet through all the basic info like website, global channel rules and how to get to it, TS/Vent log in information and explaing fleet structure when all I realy want to do is just do a round of STFs, bs, and then log out. All I do is log in, do my own thing, and if I feel like playing with someone, look up the fleet roster or talk in the guild chat and see if some one wants to do something. In a small fleet, finding some one in the guild who is online at the time is a hard thing, and if some one is online, seeing if they are interested in doing what I want. Large fleets provide this advantage, there is always many people on at any given time, and at least two of them are up for what I want to do. I like seeing structure in a fleet, but if I didn't trust the fleet leaders, I would be out of said fleet.

The way I see it, is similar to a fleet bank. Some fleets don't have any restriction on the bank at all. This works well with a fleet of friends. This doesn't work to well with a larger fleet that recruits new members, especially when those new members are fleet shopping. It never is cool to log in the next day and see the bank was ***** by one guy who joined a hour earlier and already left. So that is an example of a troll on the low rung of the ladder.

An example from the high end, if logging in, and then finding that the fleet you were in, had a major Drama break down and so a new leader takes over and then kicks out every one who opposed him in the beginning. Yes, it happens, and you have to move on at that point. If the fleet leaders are dueches to begin with, the fleet they lead doesn't get to big any ways and doesn't have any members to really worry about putting a restriction on in the first place.

And for the record, I have no problems with joining a fleet that has reasonable restriction, Like solantolval's. It is an attempt to protect its loyal members, who should have priority. Loyalty used to mean something, it doesn't any more. Also it is a good attempt to keep people from trolling your fleet. It only takes one troll, and there are a bunch of them in STO.

Couldn't disagree more. I've run fleets/corps/guilds, been an "officer" in them, and a regular member; if you don't enjoy being a leader, don't be a leader.

I ran a corp in EvE because I enjoyed that aspect of the game, I liked managing our resources, keeping the peace between our disparate membership, organising activities and so on. After a couple of years my RL situation changed and I found I no longer had the energy to put in the required effort, and as a result I began to see managing the fleet as a chore. My response was to step down, not institute rules and ranks and limitations designed to make my job easier at the expense of everyone else's fun.

For me, such things are a warning sign, an indication that either the fleet is too large to manage effectively, or that the leadership are not leading because they find it to be a rewarding and entertaining experience in and of itself, but rather because they like the idea of styling themselves as a leader while actually viewing the activities required of a leader as a chore, an annoying necessity in order to maintain their status.

At the end of the day this is a game, a bit of fun, and I would rather run the extremely small risk that some cretinous wee 'tard will pinch some pixels out of the fleet bank or whatever, than have to deal with the type of office politics that I can barely stomach in RL where my salary depends on it.

We are PWE. Your forums and game accounts will be added to our own. Your community will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.