test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO = WoW in space

Comments

• gypsybladegypsyblade Member Posts: 730 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I always felt it was more City of Hero's in Space 8P

considering they cramed the Star Trek IP into the City of Hero's or Champions game engine.

Heck the music in the club on ESD is the exact same music used in Pocket D in CoX so i imigine its the same engine. i think they may have sold CoX off but retained the rights to the engine they created.

As for WoW. no its not. its better in a lot of ways. But that is my opinion.

Have a great day

STO and CO have the same engine

CoX is a different engine, Cryptic owns no rights to the CoX IP

To the OP, lets not compare lolWoW to STO plz.....
  • vesphavespha Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ROFL ...STO is no where near like WoW...if it was I would of moved from WoW to STO and canceled my WoW account. You have no clue about STO or WoW ....what you level a toon to 8 and think you know it all??? Get out of here with you BS trolls
    "We all change, when you think about it, we're all different people; all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    gypsyblade wrote: »

Well, the parts that are independently licensed or not proprietary got reused but I assume that's because the same people designed them both.

And I've heard buzz that Cryptic still owns the CoH engine and collects a license check for use of the engine in City of Heroes. This once allegedly prompted Paragon to consider developing a City of Heroes 2 with a different engine to ditch Cryptic's licensing fee.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think I have been mis-understood. I am not saying WoW is a better game. I hate WoW.

These are just my opinions, STO is boring and unoriginal (In my opinion)

Iv'e played both games, and the mechanics are very similar. I do not care if anyone says otherwise because I feel like they are.

Why would I want to play in "shooter mode"? I have Mass Effect for that. Could you please explain how the ground combat is any different from WoW, Rift etc. It is essentially point click and spam buttons until the enemy dies. Rinse and Repeat.
    As the thread title says, Star trek Online is WoW in space

My review of this turgid mess of a game is as follows:

Presentation:

The graphics are ok in space, but all the ships feel the same size there is no sense of scale at all which is pretty underwhelming... The ground based graphics are "meh" nothing to write home about, the character models are well done but the animation looks amateurish.
    Combat effects are decent and the maps themselves are pretty cool and look well done. Oh yeah I almost forgot about the way the ships fly, it looks stupid, clunky and there is no sensation of speed in these ships whatsoever.
    The user interface is decidedly mediocre, standard MMO fare like I said above pretty much wow in space.

Gameplay:

I find the missions boring, linear and generally too easy. The combat itself is a case of button mashing a la world of ******** but is actually less intuitive and polished. I never got a sense that the mission I was on made any difference in the game world, it is basically a grindy mmorpg, if you swapped out the character models for dwarves and elves you basically have a shoddy WoW clone.
    The ship combat is very simplistic and repetitive - esentially identical mechanics to the ground combat but adding in a vertical axis. the effects and graphics are good, its just a shame the developers went for such a dumbed down combat mechanic as it could have been so much better. I particularly disliked all the loading screens, and the way the universe is actually navigated ("sector space") is particularly unimmersive. I also experienced a decent amount of lag both in space and on the ground which resulted in a few rage quits.

Community:

STO too me just felt too much like a single player game with too many instances, there were times during play where I totally forgot that this is a Massively Multiplayer game. the local chat is like a ghost town for the most part and it just seemed like everyone was going it alone with little interaction.

Overall:

Disappointing to say the least, STO is a dull, repetitive and "safe" game. For anyone looking for a refreshing change from games like WoW, I warn you to look elsewhere as there isn't much innovation to be found here.
    To sum it up, Star Trek Online is World of ********. In Space. :rolleyes:

Wow... Really... ? ...

I must be playing a different version of STO than you are then.

I played WoW for 18 months... Been playing STO since March 2010...

IMO, other than the same basic game play mechanics that ALL MMOS have...

They are nothing alike...

Guess I won't be seeing you in-game anymore... Can I haz yer stuff?

:rolleyes:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • oridjerraaoridjerraa Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Personally, I like STO graphics more than WoW. Gameplay wise, these two games are very different creatures. In Wow a character progress is linked with zones, a new central quest town every 5 or 6 levels. A WoW player will literally travel the world(and beyond)while leveling. While in STO, Earth SpaceDock and First City maintain an overall return point for players between leveling. A player heads out to a new zone then returns to home base. I'm not saying that dose not happen in WoW or that there are no town-like hubs in STO, it's just a general look.
  • beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    STO needs more "kill X number of [mob] and bring me Y [parts of mob]" grindfests before it can even be close to WoW.

And fishing. There's no fishing in STO.

:D
    I am going to have to repeat what alot of people have said here.

Every MMO out there is like WoW because WoW is an MMO. MMO is a grene of games and all have the same style and feel when you strip them down to the foundation.

Every MMO will pretty much have leveling up characters with skills no matter how you cut it. Combat will be pretty much the same in ALL MMO's i use my skill buttons while you use your skill buttons and we compete with each-other until one 'wins'

Every MMO is copying off of all other MMO's if you are limited by that basic description. EvE is copying of STO, STO is copying off EvE why? because you have a ship that has skills that you use on other ships that are using skills against you.[which is exactly like WoW just with human like characters in place of ships]

You will never like any MMO ever because its all going to be like WoW, Everquest, STO, SWTOR, ect ect ect rehashed over and over.

All shooters copy off of all shooters.... BECAUSE THEY ARE SHOOTERS! No duh one shooter is going to be similar to some other shooter. whats the difference between Marathon[the game] published in 1994 and the latest COD? NOTHING you are behind a gun shooting baddies. COD is then obviously copying off of Marathon which is copying off some other earlier Shooter made in the mid 80's

I would have to warn you that your time enjoying video games is going to be really short if you keep this limited 'X game is copying off of X game!' well yeah... they are both in X Genre.

Its really unfair just to paste "STO is a WoW CLONE!" and walk away. This game deserve more respect than that.
  • hitherowhitherow Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Just about every MMO I've seen forums for have one constant. there's always someone griping about one thing or another or trying to compare one MMO to another and coming to some odd conclusion. Seems rather normal. *shrug*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cryptic Join Date: March 2010
    "We will not go quietly into the night" ~Independence Day
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    beezle23 wrote: »
    STO needs more "kill X number of [mob] and bring me Y [parts of mob]" grindfests before it can even be close to WoW.

There is in these forums...

I've seen quite a few 'whoppers' and read many a "fish-tail' in my time around here. ;)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    SSSSoooooo...with all that said.

What would add to the game to make it not like the OP is saying, if you find it boring, what then would be an addition that would remove this feeling?
  • thoroonthoroon Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Luckily on STO the worst it gets is guys trolling over whether Star Wars/Star gate/Firefly/Farscape? is better/a copy/ an alternate universe from Star trek.

Gorn anyone? ;)

Oh, and the correct answer is 42 of course.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Why would I want to play in "shooter mode"? I have Mass Effect for that.

Buahahaha!

STO with shooter mode = ME3 in space!

I love how your only response to something that's different than WoW is that it's just the same as another (non-mmog) game.

innovation
    Ahh, you invoked the MMOG mechanics equivalent of Godwins law, congratulations, how... innovative of you.
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Comparing STO to WoW is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read here.... and that's saying a lot.... :P
  • xiphenonxiphenon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    As the thread title says, Star trek Online is WoW in space

If you see it like this, you need to say that WoW is only a clone of other MMORPGs like Everquest, Ultima Online ... and even the universe of WoW is a clone of the Warhammer tabletop game. Warhammer however cloned alot from the lord of the rings by Tolkien (I mean the book not the game), but Tolkien copied alot from ancient legends and fairytales ...

And, as a former player of WoW, i can say for sure that STO don't feel like WoW in space.

WoW is like:

- running through a comic world getting eye cancer from color overdosis
    - a world that doen't take it self serios and have alot of parody elements
    - doing grind quest like: killing 100 rabbits, wolves or rats to get some item
    - running perma-jumping through the world
    - having defined roles like tank, rogue, sorcerer and healer

STO
    - can build up mostly a more or less authentic Star Trek athmosphere
    - is mostly heroic and iconic oriented world
    - Quests are heavenly story driven and are not grind-based
    - breaks up with classical roles of healer, tank and dps. In fact there are no strictly predefined roles.
    I find the missions boring, linear and generally too easy. The combat itself is a case of button mashing a la world of ********

Try to play quests on advanced or elite. Button smashing won't bring you through elevated difficult grades.
    The ship combat is very simplistic and repetitive - esentially identical mechanics to the ground combat but adding in a vertical axis.
    If you find the ship combat simple, you did't fly your ship right. Try to join Kerrat PvP and be prepared to get blown in seconds.
    STO too me just felt too much like a single player game with too many instances, there were times during play where I totally forgot that this is a Massively Multiplayer game. the local chat is like a ghost town for the most part and it just seemed like everyone was going it alone with little interaction.

Get a fleet. STO is based on small groups playing together.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • krayuskorianiskrayuskorianis Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    OP is a troll, that's all I saw on this topic.

STO is NOTHING like WoW, I HATE WoW. However I do enjoy Starcraft, Starcraft: Brood War and War Craft 1-3 RTS games. I just don't believe it should be made into an MMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    i3-2100 3.10GHz
    8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM CL9
    ASUS DirectCU II GTX 660 OC 2GB GDDR5
  • neuraldamageneuraldamage Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Begone troll.

I do agree that Sector Space is sooo non-immersive but that is a limitation of the game engine and I have been ******** about that for years.

But you clearly did not spend enough time playing STO judging from your comments.

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
  • neuraldamageneuraldamage Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    thoroon wrote: »
    BTW WoW is a total UO ripoff! ;)

Methinks you meant EQ (Everquest)?

TBH, if UO had near as decent graphics as STO does I would STILL be playing that dinosaur. Now that was a game that knew how to implement a crafting system. ;)

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
  • kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Shhhhh... the Devs might hear you...

Back to the OP, the two are similar in the same general way that any two things in the same category are similar. Heck, i heard an argument once that Ironman/Tony Stark was a rip off of Batman/Bruce Wayne. They are both heirs of a billion dollar company from there dead parents, who use there money and skills to punch people who do bad things. The fact that Tony Stark can go 12/12 on the Playboy Bunny of the month, while Bruce Wayne sacrifices his girlfriend for the betterment of the city is just a minor detail :D

I like this game. Not just because of the IP (although I will be the first to admit that it is a contributing factor). But because I actually FEEL like i am doing something worth while to in the universe besides glorified pest control and fetch boy for NPCs.

At the end of the Klingon series, YOU.. yes YOU and your brave crew must use the Guardian of Forever to follow a bunch of Klingon Augments back in time to prevent them from altering the timeline. HOLY TRIBBLE that is alot of responsibly. What is the minimum level for it? Lt Cmdr 5 Level 15. So almost right out of the gate you have the fate of the universe thrust upon you. And I felt duty-bound, I felt HONORED that I would have to be the one to travel back in time to save the present. There was no "But Admiral Quinn.. do i HAVE to?" I was getting ready to jump through the portal as he was hailing me.

What were we doing at level 25 in WoW (The equivalent level based off the current level caps of both games)? "Kill X and bring me back Y?" Heck, there was one mission where I had to help a pirate recover his sunken treasure...because it fell into a cove full of monsters. That was the plot. That was my motivation, to be a good Samaritan and help this guy out.

I can Recall several characters in this game as meaningful, Such as Franklin Drake (GOD, I hate that guy...), Obisek, (May his people finally find peace), or K'Vlak of the House of B'Vat (May he find Sto'vo'kor as glorious as he was in death). These are NPCs that made an impact on me. These character made up by Cryptic stood out in my mind as people to remember and be thought of again.

You know who sticks out in my mind from WoW... that pirate who drops his gold...

This is a major difference that I see between the two. The Mechanics will be the same because they are the same genera of game
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • p2wsucksp2wsucks Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This game is boring and it's getting worse. The end game content is far too repetative and I include what's on the test server now. It's become nothing but a grind fest w/no hint of changing anytime soon.

PvP has been neglected from the start and despite claims of a dedicated Dev, who's now leaving it won't be fixed anytime soon if ever. Worse what little effort to balance and bug fix is all but gone. Leaving P2W, broken mechanics, and other OP TRIBBLE to rule the day.

PvE won't have any dev produced story driven content anytime soon. Instead it's grind X,Y,Z -> to get gear to grind X, Y, Z. Or use card (Doff) X,Y,Z to get reward X,Y,Z in A,B,C amount of time later. Or sift through a ton of crappy Foundry missions to maybe get a decent one and hope it's not bugged out by poor code version mgt.

The slow grind content leaves more time for not only C-Store item development, but the gambling boxes which are bigger then many ships and spam need/greed popups whenever a pugmate/teammate picks 1 up ...

In short the game has been half assed from the start, and will continue to be half assed.
    [Zone] Dack@****: cowards can't take a fed 1 on 1 crinckley cowards Hahahaha you smell like flowers
    Random Quote from Kerrat
    "Sumlobus@****: your mums eat Iced Targ Poo"
    C&H Fed banter
  • atomicfbatomicfb Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    p2wsucks wrote: »
    This game is boring and it's getting worse. The end game content is far too repetative and I include what's on the test server now. It's become nothing but a grind fest w/no hint of changing anytime soon.

PvP has been neglected from the start and despite claims of a dedicated Dev, who's now leaving it won't be fixed anytime soon if ever. Worse what little effort to balance and bug fix is all but gone. Leaving P2W, broken mechanics, and other OP TRIBBLE to rule the day.

PvE won't have any dev produced story driven content anytime soon. Instead it's grind X,Y,Z -> to get gear to grind X, Y, Z. Or use card (Doff) X,Y,Z to get reward X,Y,Z in A,B,C amount of time later. Or sift through a ton of crappy Foundry missions to maybe get a decent one and hope it's not bugged out by poor code version mgt.

The slow grind content leaves more time for not only C-Store item development, but the gambling boxes which are bigger then many ships and spam need/greed popups whenever a pugmate/teammate picks 1 up ...

In short the game has been half assed from the start, and will continue to be half assed.
    Let me sum that up for you...

blah blah blah STO sucks blah blah blah but I still take time to post in the forums blah blah blah...

So my response would be blah blah blah, heard it all before, blah blah blah. :P
  • captrayvenwingcaptrayvenwing Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    gypsyblade wrote: »

Well that maybe but they sure own that annoying music from Pocket D that is for sure LOL
    The Account formally known as Rayvenwing
    Actual Join Date : Feb 2010

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dudeman32569dudeman32569 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    3/10

Trolling Star Trek nerds isn't hard at all, but you get a couple bonus points for bothering to do so in the first place.
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think I have been mis-understood. I am not saying WoW is a better game. I hate WoW.

These are just my opinions, STO is boring and unoriginal (In my opinion)

Iv'e played both games, and the mechanics are very similar. I do not care if anyone says otherwise because I feel like they are.

Why would I want to play in "shooter mode"? I have Mass Effect for that. Could you please explain how the ground combat is any different from WoW, Rift etc. It is essentially point click and spam buttons until the enemy dies. Rinse and Repeat.

Just putting this out there... (since you chose to compare STO to WoW):

WoW is a total ripoff of Everquest. Had it not been for WoW being released the same year as Everquest II (2004), we'd all be screaming that "x MMO is an Everquest clone", rather than everyone saying that "x MMO is a WoW clone".

Other than a few basic similarities which can be found in ANY MMO, such as Power Trays, Minimap, Inventory etc, there is virtually NOTHING similar between STO and WoW. Both are very good games by the way, and both have their fair share of problems that still need fixing.

Not sure why you even come to this forum when you: Hate WoW, hate STO's "alleged" similarity with WoW, and have Mass Effect for shooter-mode.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • wolvenshirewolvenshire Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    /facepalm. :eek:

Someone else comparing one MMO to WoW. You know that WoW is a clone of the MMOs that came before it right?
    Before WoW came out I played UO and Earth above and beyond then SWGs. Then I tried WoW. You know what WoW was just like the other MMOs I played before.

WoW is/was nothing new, it cloned some aspects of the games before it. If you play a game and enjoy it play it, if you do not enjoy playing a game then don't play it. :rolleyes:
    @EremiticWolf - Join Date - Oct. 2008
    [
  • sollafsollaf Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Oh yeah I almost forgot about the way the ships fly, it looks stupid, clunky and there is no sensation of speed in these ships whatsoever.

My Bug is so fast that I sometimes have a hard time controlling it. It almost sounds like you just used Miranda, or like cruisers.
    Sollaf: Join date Sep 2009, Lifer. Disgruntled with the JHSS, my Bug feels less shiny now.
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Cruisers ARE "clunky" to fly in this game. If you want ships built for speed and maneuverability, fly an Escort.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • p2wsucksp2wsucks Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    atomicfb wrote: »
    Let me sum that up for you...

blah blah blah STO sucks blah blah blah but I still take time to post in the forums blah blah blah...

So my response would be blah blah blah, heard it all before, blah blah blah. :P

You do a poor job of summing up my post. Please refrain from attempting to do so again.

On the plus you have the basic madlib pseudo GM in game support reply style down.
    [Zone] Dack@****: cowards can't take a fed 1 on 1 crinckley cowards Hahahaha you smell like flowers
    Random Quote from Kerrat
    "Sumlobus@****: your mums eat Iced Targ Poo"
    C&H Fed banter
  • beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    3/10

Trolling Star Trek nerds isn't hard at all, but you get a couple bonus points for bothering to do so in the first place.

Here's a better way to do it:

WE NEED TIE FIGHTERS THAT WOULD BE AWESOME.
    defalus wrote: »
    I completly agree with the OP, I mean look at the other things STO has copied from WoW

STO has an action tray to use abilities/powers. Blatent copy of WoW
    STO lets me create an characrer. Ripping off WoW again.
    STO lets me use my mouse cursor to interact with objects in the game world. Ripping off WoW again.
    STO lets me level my character by farming for SP. STO is trying not to be like wow by using SP instead of XP, so obvious they are trying to hide this fact.
    STO lets me form teams with other players. Ripping of WoW yet again.
    STO has forums... just like Wow.
    STO lets me move my avatar with my keyboard or mouse. Yup, cloning WoW mechanics.

There are loads more but STO is like so totally ripping of Wow.:eek:

Why the thread didn't stop at this win of a post is amazing to me.
    <3
  • captrayvenwingcaptrayvenwing Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Here's a better way to do it:

WE NEED TIE FIGHTERS THAT WOULD BE AWESOME.

if we are going to have those can we also have Colonial Viper's? and not the new ones but the originals?
    The Account formally known as Rayvenwing
    Actual Join Date : Feb 2010

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]