test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Things I have learned from Star Trek Online

mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Ten Forward
Yes, I'm aware that there is both a Things I Have Learned From Star Trek as well as a Things I Have Learned Today thread but both are over 60 days old and archived. Even if the Rules are currently broken.

So anyway....

Things I have learned from playing STO:

I can spell Methogenic. Don;t know what it is but I can certainly spell it now. ;)
Post edited by mikewendell on

Comments

• thoroonthoroon Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    There is a Lockbox in everyone of us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drunkenguyverdrunkenguyver Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I've learnt that a starship actually can't achieve a vertical flight angle of 90 degrees and infact has to spiral down to get to enemies below it. LOL :wink: :biggrin:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I learned that scanning every anomaly is only a good idea if you are into crafting. Otherwise it takes up way too much bag space, especially if you are good at the scanning minigame.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I've learned that while the pen may be mightier than the sword, it is no match for a nano pulse bat'leth.
  • sierrafortunesierrafortune Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I've learned that DS9 Chat is 4chan lite.
  • hpcapulethpcapulet Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Never be so vengeance hungry as to destroy your enemy point blank, there is always backlash.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Heir to the high pony of holier than thou, Guardian of the Sacred Mallet of Thwarting, and giver of Baptismal raspberries since 02/02/2010
  • hortworthortwort Member Posts: 281
    edited June 2012
    I learned about G.I.R.L.s :frown:
    I miss my _.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rdm1958rdm1958 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    i learned that building a good ship gets you unwanted attention from cubes and spheres.
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Stupidity scales with rank in ESD chat sometimes
    Live long and Prosper
  • srspellssrspells Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I learned, that a tribble joke a day keeps the doctors away.
    -Spells
    || Open Door Policy ||
    | Dues Ex Mechina |
    Fleet Leader
  • retunred4goodretunred4good Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I've learned that everyone seems to have a 3rd grade literacy level. No one knows the difference between your and you're or they're, there, and their. I don't like grammar and spelling TRIBBLE myself and can totally understand misspelling a fairly complicated word. But stuff like "dieing" instead of dying? Come on guys; these are elementary school words (you know, the ones you had to write between 2 lines?). When you try to present what is intended to be a well educated and profound point in an involved discussion and you're spelling like a 7 year old, it kind of kills your credibility.

I also learned that Picard must have ran up quite the EC bill with all that Earl Grey he got from the replicator. :tongue:
    -It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-- Mark Twain.
  • captwinters1701captwinters1701 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I learned that the word "Gorn" can be used be used as a Verb, Noun, and adjective
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    actually many of us are not "first language" English speakers

We are sorry about that.

And sadly when I get angry or outraged (or very tired) my sentence structure migrates back to my base language and my spelling becomes "Jock"
    Live long and Prosper
    edited June 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    actually many of us are not "first language" English speakers

We are sorry about that.

And sadly when I get angry or outraged (or very tired) my sentence structure migrates back to my base language and my spelling becomes "Jock"

Nothing wrong with that at all. :smile: I'm talking about my countrymen whose first and usually only language is english. They have no excuse.
    -It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-- Mark Twain.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    hortwort wrote: »
    I learned about G.I.R.L.s :frown:

I learned that many of those G.I.R.L.S. ... are nicer and a lot more friendlier than the Real GIRLS...

Actually..., I think I learned that a long time ago on AOL ...

...never mind...
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited June 2012
    Sorry im feeling got at round here this week

If I argue a point based on IP i get told "this is STO" or "the Game does not follow the canon" or hey my favorite "that is wrong because such and such happened in an alternate reality in a movie no one watched"

If i argue based on personal Views im Am told "you are a troll Quit the game" or called nasty names in a childish way (or a suggestion was made i had a terminal class 2 TRIBBLE )

If I suggest people look for the data before making a choice that gets spammed down with all manner of abuse and I get the above some more

So I am begining to wonder if its just me they hate or EVERYONE who doesn't bow down and worship the elite view and the holy triad

I may well be leaving this forum as without moderation reports its becoming as bad as DS9
    Live long and Prosper
  • hpcapulethpcapulet Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Nothing wrong with that at all. :smile: I'm talking about my countrymen whose first and usually only language is English. They have no excuse.

And what inspired you to declare yourself English teacher to the world? :rolleyes: I find if your corrections are more playful ribbing than scolding they can be more effective.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Heir to the high pony of holier than thou, Guardian of the Sacred Mallet of Thwarting, and giver of Baptismal raspberries since 02/02/2010
    edited June 2012
    hpcapulet wrote: »
    And what inspired you to declare yourself English teacher to the world? :rolleyes: I find if your corrections are more playful ribbing than scolding they can be more effective.

Actually, I don't bother; it's like trying to herd cats. Besides, it's not being an english teacher to the world; it's people in my own country who grew up with it. It's words you learn in the same grade you learn your multiplication table and they both are used constantly in daily life. That's not being uppity; it's not college level stuff or even high school.
    edited June 2012
    I find the best way to herd cat (i only have one) is to fire an elastic band in the direction you wish her to go
    Live long and Prosper
    edited June 2012
    I find the best way to herd cat (i only have one) is to fire an elastic band in the direction you wish her to go

LOL Sounds effective.
    edited June 2012
    It is my Lola (the cat) will chase anything that moves
    Live long and Prosper
  • beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I've learned that DS9 Chat is 4chan lite.
    Stupidity scales with rank in ESD chat sometimes

I think that's true of most MMO's -- both the N00bZone (STO=ESD) and the 1337Zone (STO=DS9) chats will resemble 4Chan and/or YouTube comments.

If only Starbases would have a Bridge Officer trainer and an STF gear store so I didn't have to go to either one... :D
    Sorry im feeling got at round here this week

If I argue a point based on IP i get told "this is STO" or "the Game does not follow the canon" or hey my favorite "that is wrong because such and such happened in an alternate reality in a movie no one watched"

If i argue based on personal Views im Am told "you are a troll Quit the game" or called nasty names in a childish way (or a suggestion was made i had a terminal class 2 TRIBBLE )

If I suggest people look for the data before making a choice that gets spammed down with all manner of abuse and I get the above some more

So I am begining to wonder if its just me they hate or EVERYONE who doesn't bow down and worship the elite view and the holy triad

I may well be leaving this forum as without moderation reports its becoming as bad as DS9

don't let this TRIBBLE get to you. it's not just you they hate. they simply hate. they fool themselves into thinking they have a life by hating.

something else i have learned is that STO is much like real life. some people are really nice and a lot are not. just ignore the haters and most of all don't become one of them.
  • hortworthortwort Member Posts: 281
    edited June 2012
    I learned that the word "Gorn" can be used be used as a Verb, Noun, and adjective

It's also fun to say it in a goofy "gawrsh" way. :biggrin:
    I miss my _.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Remembered that being leader means you're the first one the enemy shoots at. The easiest way to win is to let someone else lead (cough, red shirt), and cover their back.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I have learned where Sulu is ...
  • bladeofkahlessbladeofkahless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I learned... rather, I observed... It seems that fewer people captain a ship that plays to the strength of their career than those who captain a ship they like better.
    To each, their own. I just think it's an interesting observation.
    I wouldn't presume to tell someone how to play their game :tongue:

It's me, Chrome. [Join Date: May 2009]

"Oh, I may be captain by rank... but I never wanted to be anything else but an engineer." ~Montgomery Scott~
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I've learned that some take this game far too seriously. The rage in the forums, or the game itself is sometimes unbearable. Thank goodness for /ignore <handle>. /ignore and private matches have saved STO for me.

Haters gonna hate, Ragers gonna rage... but come on, it's a game.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Nothing wrong with that at all. :smile: I'm talking about my countrymen whose first and usually only language is english. They have no excuse.

I;m a three time stroke survivor. No offense but I have an excuse. Some days I can barely rest my hands on the keyboard due to the tremour.

Which is why you see the semicolons all the time in case you;re wondering. I can't reach the correct key unless i actually stop to hit it.
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Actually, I don't bother; it's like trying to herd cats.

We never had a problem with cats. My ex and I did rescue as we leaved in the first building with a parking lot in a rather poor area to start with. If you say the cats name at the beginning of every interaction, they learn it real quick.

Heck, even the other cats pick up on it.