test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rolling Need

2»

Comments

• outllawoutllaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    *sigh* Really didn't want to have to post again, well I didn't have to but I am finding this level of thickheadedness amusing.

Think of it like conditioning, assuming you are capable of rational thought. Most animals can do this so it should not be too difficult.

You place 3 buttons in-front of an animal. Be it a dog, cat, monkey, rat, etc etc.

These buttons are tied to a treat dispenser. The animal in question has a food and water bowl so its primary needs are met. But these buttons dispense treats, and what doesn't like treats right?

So the animal walks across the buttons and poof magically a treat falls out. So it enjoys a tasty treat. Now its little neurons start firing that "Oh that was good I want more."

So over time the animal concludes that the buttons are responsible for the treat. Now It presses one button many times and nothing happens. It tries the other and again many times nothing happens. Finally it tries the last button and occasionally a treat is dispensed. Over time the animal will associate that that button is where the treats come from so it will push that button and not the others. Is the animal now abusing the treat system? No since it is a random chance that it will receive the treat. The button is there to be pressed.

Now if an animal could figure this out surely you can... right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If I truly lacked empathy or a conscience I would not take time out of my day to help someone who had a less fortunate education than myself correct their gross misunderstanding of words in the English language.
  • worilworil Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    outllaw wrote: »
    *sigh* Really didn't want to have to post again, well I didn't have to but I am finding this level of thickheadedness amusing.

Think of it like conditioning, assuming you are capable of rational thought. Most animals can do this so it should not be too difficult.

You place 3 buttons in-front of an animal. Be it a dog, cat, monkey, rat, etc etc.

These buttons are tied to a treat dispenser. The animal in question has a food and water bowl so its primary needs are met. But these buttons dispense treats, and what doesn't like treats right?

So the animal walks across the buttons and poof magically a treat falls out. So it enjoys a tasty treat. Now its little neurons start firing that "Oh that was good I want more."

So over time the animal concludes that the buttons are responsible for the treat. Now It presses one button many times and nothing happens. It tries the other and again many times nothing happens. Finally it tries the last button and occasionally a treat is dispensed. Over time the animal will associate that that button is where the treats come from so it will push that button and not the others. Is the animal now abusing the treat system? No since it is a random chance that it will receive the treat. The button is there to be pressed.

Now if an animal could figure this out surely you can... right?

Okay, so your statement is: "I have learned to roll need on trash items i do not need, but want to sell. Look how clever i am."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shimmerlessshimmerless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    corsair114 wrote: »
    If you feel you're so hard up for gear for STF's that you feel you absolutely *need* Green quality Mk XI gear, go run some missions with choice pieces of gear which are going to have very nice pieces of gear for your tier:

*Doomsday Machine: Har'peng Torpedo

*Past Imperfect: Paratrinic Shields, Efficient Impulse Engines, Plasma-Disruptor Hybrid Arrays and Dual Heavy Cannons

*S'harien's Swords: Combat Hyper Impulse Engines, Prototype Gravitic Impulse Engines

*Coliseum: Reman Covariat Shield

*The New Link: Chroniton Flux Torpedo, Polarized Tetryon Arrays

*The Deferi Arc: Breen Set, Breen Cluster Torpedo

*The 2800: Jem'Hadar Set, Phased Polaron Beam Arrays and Dual Cannons

Regular STF's do not require superb gear and, in fact, you can quite comfortably run them at level 46 with all white Mark 10 gear and not be hamstringing your team (provided you've a decent BOff skill layout).

If you're hard-up for cash, any of the missions that give engines, deflectors, or shields are a pretty solid source of cash.

Oh, and don't forget that Mk X Rare (Blue) is statistically identical to Mk XI green quality gear.

You honestly don't need any real gear even for Elites, dude. Arguably you want non-sucky weapons but you can do STF runs in shuttles if you're with folks that know the game mechanics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
    edited June 2012
    woril wrote: »
    Okay, so your statement is: "I have learned to roll need on trash items i do not need, but want to sell. Look how clever i am."

The example wasn't to show how clever I am, it was to show the fact that you apparently are not a clever as a rodent can be when it comes to terms of conditioning. One mans trash is another mans treasure with the exchange, and lots of stuff is vendor melted for 50k+. Press the right button and you get a chance don't and you don't.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If I truly lacked empathy or a conscience I would not take time out of my day to help someone who had a less fortunate education than myself correct their gross misunderstanding of words in the English language.
    edited June 2012
    The example wasn't to show how clever I am, it was to show the fact that you apparently are not a clever as a rodent can be when it comes to terms of conditioning. One mans trash is another mans treasure with the exchange, and lots of stuff is vendor melted for 50k+. Press the right button and you get a chance don't and you don't.
    Okay, you must be indeed "something special".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Eh, they should just round-robin it.

I don't really need more buttons to push when chasing Borg raptors around.
    You honestly don't need any real gear even for Elites, dude. Arguably you want non-sucky weapons but you can do STF runs in shuttles if you're with folks that know the game mechanics.

I re-ran some missions to get MK XI versions of rewards (Disruptor-plasma Hybrids being the notable ones).

While they're not the mk XII purple anti-borg stuff, they're still fairly effective.

---

The Dev's need to add turrets as mission rewards. :D
    I'd rather remove everything except the final reward from STFs before we face more "conditioned" victims of the loot system.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    I'd rather remove everything except the final reward from STFs before we face more "conditioned" victims of the loot system.

Only victims are the ones that try to "oppose" the system and then complain when they get nil.:biggrin:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xantrisxantris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    texaco2063 wrote: »
    Can the individuals who roll need on everything that drops in STFs please stop doing that. I highly doubt you need it all. I understand that one makes EC off of the loot drops, but, that is what the Greed button is for, might have seen it. It's located underneath Need, above Pass.

Thanks

No. Nobody actually needs anything that drops from STFs outside of the Salvage and such. Especially elite STFs, if your in an elite STF and need the gear that drops, you shouldn't be in the elite STF in the first place... your probably getting carried by the very people that are rolling need on your TRIBBLE gear.

If you want to play by the "good manners" rules, have fun. But your aren't going to get TRIBBLE while running in an STF with me or the vast majority of people in the game.

Roll needs on gear, sell it, buy what you need from the exchange.
  • disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    In general I say most of these responses just prove that there is no reason for a greed button since you all say you should always click need. As stated before its should just be take/pass.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Yep. I just started playing again after taking a multi-month break and almost everyone clown is picking need.

I almost never saw anyone needwhoring before my break (last Dec.). We had one or two newbs who didn't have a clue, but most understood.

If they are free to play users then they need to be taught, if not they need to be criticized.

Edit:

Just read through this thread. Never realised there were so many needwhoring PvE douchebags on these forums. All of them are or were free to play users I bet.

Worst move Cryptic/PWE ever made, along with the PvE garbage that ruins PvP and the scam lotteries they run.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    xantris wrote: »
    No. Nobody actually needs anything that drops from STFs outside of the Salvage and such. Especially elite STFs, if your in an elite STF and need the gear that drops, you shouldn't be in the elite STF in the first place... your probably getting carried by the very people that are rolling need on your TRIBBLE gear.

If you want to play by the "good manners" rules, have fun. But your aren't going to get TRIBBLE while running in an STF with me or the vast majority of people in the game.

Roll needs on gear, sell it, buy what you need from the exchange.

Amen brother! Preach on!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drunkenguyverdrunkenguyver Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I've begun to really get into the STF's, and i've also noticed that some people will click "Need" on every item that pops up even with relatively common loot. I'm not saying all players are item hoarders because they're not, i've had some great team ups with players whom share everything, and other sessions usually with one massive hoarder in the group who grabs as much loot as they can, the worst of these i encountered this weekend . . Infected elite, the person just sat at the spawn point, not helping at all for the whole session . . the rest of the team thought he/she was AFK until loot popped up *So & So needs this* on everything, then after the rest of the team struggled with crowd control and taking down the last Nanite Transformer, which got healed due to being a ship down, that seemed well and happy sitting at the spawn point. When the game was over they then grabbed the loot and exited the stf before you had the chance to take a breath.

Before embarking on the STF missions, i discovered that it is considered rude to "Need" every single drop. Which makes sense to a fair gamer like myself and most others, i only ever need on items that i'd like to improve my ship with, improved beam arrays, rare borg salvage that kinda thing (But almost everyone will need borg salvage, so i have to, to at least be in the roll of the dice), the rest of the time i will Greed or Pass everything else to be fair to others, more so if i actually won a "need".

Perhaps a change in this system would be good and just simply have 2 buttons . . Need & Pass, that way everyone will be included in the dice roll for loot, unless you just don't want it and click pass.

It doesn't really annoy me as such, it's just the fact and a shame that some people can be so blatantly greedy and don't consider others when playing. I bet they were the sort of people when they were a kid, that scoffed down all their chocolate buttons, only to want some of yours because you ate sensibly and had some left . . then cried so mom would make you give one (Or a handful) to shut em up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captgriffencaptgriffen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I need EC.
    You need the item.
    Thanks to the exchange, both are equivalent in value.

So why does your need trump mine? If it means so much to you, go buy the item on the exchange - it'll cost you the same as me not getting the item would.

All those people complaining about needers where it isn't agreed otherwise by everyone pre-stf, are the greedy ones. They're too stingy to pay for their own gear, and want to be subsidised by those who do gear themselves properly.
    edited June 2012
    I do not need the item and roll need.
    You do not need the item and roll greed.
    I am the greedy one.
    Fixed it for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    Fixed it for you.

He already stated he did not need the item, but the EC value of it. Basic reading comprehension is not your strong suit is it? His statement was completely sound. Perhaps if you spent less time on the forums trying to debate a topic clearly beyond your grasp and actually properly gearing your ship this would be a non issue for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    He already stated he did not need the item, but the EC value of it. Basic reading comprehension is not your strong suit is it? His statement was completely sound. Perhaps if you spent less time on the forums trying to debate a topic clearly beyond your grasp and actually properly gearing your ship this would be a non issue for you.
    Just relax, dude, and focus on more important things in your life.

Claiming that your asocial behavior has been conditioned by your environment is an APD symptom. Seriously.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    Just relax, dude, and focus on more important things in your life.

Claiming that your asocial behavior has been conditioned by your environment is an APD symptom. Seriously.

You are doing that words thing again, let me help you.

a?so?cial
    adj.
    1. Not social: "Bears are asocial, secretive animals" (David Graber).
    2. Avoiding or averse to the society of others; not sociable: "It's not that you're so asocial, but a man who likes people doesn't wind up in the Antarctic" (Saul Bellow).
    3. Unable or unwilling to conform to normal standards of social behavior; antisocial: "crime, riots, drug use and other asocial behavior" (Derek Shearer).
    4. Inconsiderate of others; self-centered.

1. I'm an avid RPer, and even host non game related events and parties, thus I'm quite social
    2. See Number 1
    3. Considering the majority of players actually use the need button I quite obviously have conformed to the normal standard, it seems you are the one unwilling to.
    4. I'm quite considerate of others, hence why I sell the loot on the exchange at a fair price, or donate it to people within my fleet who may need it. I'm not self centered, I'm community centered on the community I am a part of. You however are nobody to me therefor you are treated as such.

Not sure what you were aiming for with your next attempted jab but:

What is Antisocial Personality Disorder?
    APD (also called ASPD) is a psychological personality disorder characterized by lack of empathy or conscience, a difficulty controlling impulses and manipulative behaviors. This disorder is sometimes also referred to as psychopathy or sociopathy, however, Antisocial Personality Disorder is the clinical terminology used for diagnosis (APA 2000).

The term antisocial personality is commonly misunderstood as referring to someone who has poor social skills, but usually the opposite is true. Psychopaths can be charming, and are adept at focusing their cold, calculating efforts solely on self-gratification, typically at the expense of others (Hare 1999, Black 1999).

If I truly lacked empathy or a conscience I would not take time out of my day to help someone who had a less fortunate education than myself correct their gross misunderstanding of words in the English language. My impulses are very much in control, and I'm far from manipulative, I'm actually quite transparent in most things I do.

Now the other possible way you could have been attempting to go with it was (which honestly would not surprise me at this point):

Auditory Processing Disorder (APD), also known as Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) is an umbrella term for a variety of disorders that affect the way the brain processes auditory information.[1] Individuals with APD usually have normal structure and function of the outer, middle and inner ear (peripheral hearing). However, they cannot process the information they hear in the same way as others do, which leads to difficulties in recognizing and interpreting sounds, especially the sounds composing speech. It is thought that these difficulties arise from dysfunction in the central nervous system (i.e., brain).

This however is largely inapplicable to a forum since I'm not using TTS and am reading and disseminating the information directly. Although, the tears / crying can be heard quite loudly. Please in the future do all of us a favor and either:

A. Stop posting nonsense
    B. If you do post please make proper use of the words you are trying to use
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Aparently, by the logic set forth in most of the counter arguments, everything should just be set to an auto roll since even the junk (which some have said you shouldnt need...even they have also stated that they need it for money and not the equipment) is worth taking for the monetary need. So why bother giving them a choice?
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • shimmerlessshimmerless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I need EC.
    You need the item.
    Thanks to the exchange, both are equivalent in value.

So why does your need trump mine? If it means so much to you, go buy the item on the exchange - it'll cost you the same as me not getting the item would.

All those people complaining about needers where it isn't agreed otherwise by everyone pre-stf, are the greedy ones. They're too stingy to pay for their own gear, and want to be subsidised by those who do gear themselves properly.

This is pretty much why the "Greed" system is completely goofy outside of full organized teams. People in this thread don't seem to understand that if they need an item, even a weapon they'll use and I won't, that's great: but I need EC as well, ostensibly to buy items I'll use. The only arguable difference is that giving them the weapon gets the thing one of us wants faster, but who's really to say? Maybe it's worth tens of millions, and me selling it will get me a full equipment complement while he'd only use that single piece.

It would be 100% different if important items were BoP, but they're not. Insofar as you can sell anything on the Exchange, there's no reason not to roll Need on things you want because your 'need' is equal to everyone else's.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
  • xantrisxantris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Aparently, by the logic set forth in most of the counter arguments, everything should just be set to an auto roll since even the junk (which some have said you shouldnt need...even they have also stated that they need it for money and not the equipment) is worth taking for the monetary need. So why bother giving them a choice?

Pretty much. There shouldn't even be a greed roll in this game, it should just be roll or pass.

But the people that think we should follow some arbitrary rules just because an extra button exists (Greed) are absolutely bonkers. What's the point in everybody pushing Greed instead of Need? The only thing it accomplishes is someone getting screwed out of their roll and then posting some silly TRIBBLE post on the forum complaining about it. Nobody actually "needs" the items for use, everyone just sells it for EC.
    edited June 2012
    Either "Roll/Pass" or even simply no loot except the individual container and a flat amount of EC at the end. Then perhaps crafting would make at least some sense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    Fun fact: If you shouldn't roll need on items for EC, you shouldn't roll need on EDCs or salvage or tech. After all, you won't be using them, as they aren't even equip-able. You'll just be buying items with it.

So selfish, rolling need on something to buy an item with it!

[/sarcasm]

N/G is a relic of games where drops cannot be turned into different items via the exchange. For example, in WoW, if a rogue item drops, I cannot get that, sell it on the exchange, and get a warrior item, because it's BoP.
    edited June 2012
    @reyan01:
    Oh it wasn't aimed at you. Everyone's free to roll greed/pass if they want, just so long as you don't whine about not getting loot afterwards, it's cool. :)
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    mgazer wrote: »
    No thanks. I'm not going to abuse the system like that.

If I need something I hit need otherwise I just pass on it. I've seen a few other people in STF's lately doing the same.

What I would really like is to be able to put someone on the ignore list and have the game not team me up with those people.

If you run private matches (See EliteSTF Channel, TeamFind Channel etc) you can absolutely start building your ignore list... which I have done, and will continue to do so... or start friend requesting players fromt he pug teams you are on that you find to be halfway decent and wouldnt mind running more STF's with them... then make your own private, and go hunting for players in the channels or friends list. I also belong to several "friend" channels that were started as ways to avoid the pugs.

I dont argue, or yell or scream in team chat... just note their @handle, and ignore at the end of the match. Has made my enjoyment level increase dramatically.

I have a short list on how to get on my ignore list;

1) Screaming and Yelling at others (trolling) about how bad they are... I call these the elitists (not to be confused with the elite who are excellent players, are willing to help those who want to improve, in a non-confrontational way).

2) Needing Ninja's

End result, I play multiple STF's every day (minimally, each one at least once... more often several times each). So I dont have to resort to the queues very often.

After all it is just a game... if there are people that cause your enjoyment to lessen... then ignore them...

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....