Options

Account Linking FAQ

Comments

• Options
    captain0zerocaptain0zero Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    From the PWE link page
    Your @handle and forum name CAN be the same, but will not be automatically

Before I go off and link my main account, I want to know if we will be able to keep our forum names with capitals and symbols?

By "CAN" I get the impression that I can keep my old display name
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ussberlinussberlin Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Hi, my name was since i got in 01.03.2010 W-T-Riker now i had to use a new one because some ... already has wtriker but why we can not use - or even BigLetters or [] ? Can you please change this and give us the possibillity to change ower name again ? I want my old name W-T-Riker or like i 1. wanted W.T.-Riker ?

And i hope i get no new problem with the ss in my new name it stand vor united star ship berlin nothing more or less. And not for the former TRIBBLE German schutz staffel.

w-t-riker
    18 Cpt on the way to 60: 14 of them are already 50 or over 50, one is 60 and 3 almost 43
    Subscribed For: 4 years 5 months 20 days at 26.10.2014
  • Options
    shranstoshransto Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I want to know if my stored credit card information will transfer to my PW account now since I can't access my Cryptic account. I don't PW to have that information and I was going to delete it from cryptic but you guys changed the system over with no warning. >.> not to happy...
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    shransto wrote: »
    I want to know if my stored credit card information will transfer to my PW account now since I can't access my Cryptic account. I don't PW to have that information and I was going to delete it from cryptic but you guys changed the system over with no warning. >.> not to happy...

I had the same concerns. After linking my account, I was able to go in and delete my payment info.
  • Options
    pyrophilepyrophile Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    My cryptic points had vanished when I logged in the other day, and they are apparently still missing. This was mentioned in fleet chat as being a widespread problem.

Is this a know issue? Is something being done about it?

Also, I seem to have already linked my account. Will I still get the rewards if this is the case?
  • Options
    suricattasuricatta Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Okay, 2 questions:-

1. I read in another FAQ that our names had been reserved for us for the account transfer, however, I saw no options for this when linking my account, could this be why it appears everyones names are already taken? If so, is it possable to fix this so we can link our accounts to our reserved names?
    2. After merging my account, I can see all the perks on my account info page, but my subscribed days has reset from 890+ days to 0! Is this a widespread issue, is it only a display issue on the forums? If it genuinely has been reset to 0, how long until it gets fixed?
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Maybe I am just lucky but, my subscribed days has not been altered, my account shows 0 zen but the C-Store both in game and on website shows the correct C-point balance.
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,525 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I have a couple of questions. I had a code for Cryptic Points listed under my other account but that code seems to have vanished. Where do I find this information for CP Gift Codes? I have a toon on this account as well as several on another (Cryptic only) account. If I merge the two, what happens to the toons on both accounts?
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    suricatta wrote: »
    I read in another FAQ that our names had been reserved for us for the account transfer, however, I saw no options for this when linking my account, could this be why it appears everyones names are already taken? If so, is it possable to fix this so we can link our accounts to our reserved names?

On this note, what's the point of reserved names if we can't access and use them all on count of... system... restrictions?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    joenatljoenatl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    SO how do we now know what day # we are at? It used to be in the account window along with c-points etc. I don't see that anymore.
  • Options
    maxwilsonmaxwilson Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    What the TRIBBLE?! I liked my old Cryptic name. Now I can't have that? I don't like this account name.

WORTHLESS!
    Veteran lifer since the beta.
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Before I go off and link my main account, I want to know if we will be able to keep our forum names with capitals and symbols?

By "CAN" I get the impression that I can keep my old display name

I am a new player and never had a Cryptic account, so I don't know the pain you guys are experiencing.

See https://support.perfectworld.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4134
    Q: What if I don't have a PWE account?
    The linking flow will walk you through creating one. Chances are, we've even reserved your account name and @handle.

Q: What do you mean, you've reserved it?
    A while back, in preparation for this account linking process, we took all the names in the Cryptic database, and if they were not already in the Perfect World database, we reserved them for use through the linking process. If you login using your Cryptic information and go through the linking flow, you'll be able access that reserved information.

Q: I already created a PWE account and linked it - does this mean I was blocking my own use of my Cryptic handle? Can I have it back?
    If you created a PWE account without using hte linking flow, then yes, it's possible you were blocking your use of your own account name/handle. Unfortunately, no. We are not able to change account names or PWE display names.

Q: What about my @handle? Is it gone?
    Nope. Your @handle will always be what you use in Cryptic games. Think of it this way: instead of two names, now you have three: account name, @handle, and forum name. Your @handle and forum name CAN be the same, but will not be automatically. If you select a different "nickname" at PWE Account Creation, it will NOT change your @handle. Likewise, if we change your @handle, your forum name stays the same - at this time, there is no way to change your forum name.

The following is my understanding based on the FAQ and what was reported in other posts. Note that I've never had a Cryptic account nor used their account linking tool. I also have no inside information about PWE's internal implementation. This is just my educated guess based on what I've read in the FAQ and in these forums.

My interpretation of the above quotation is that the PWE database has three types of entities: account names, forum names, and @handles. (Possibly, the @handles may not live in the same database as the account names and forum names.) The account name is what PWE uses as a login; they want you to keep this private along with your password. The forum name is what is displayed in the PWE forums; this is a public name. The @handle is what Cryptic accounts used; the game probably still uses this internally.

PWE most likely has a security policy of disallowing account (login) names and forum names from being the same. This prevents an attacker from scraping the forums for logins and then using an automatic password generator to gain unauthorized access. However, it doesn't defeat all automated attacks, since the attacker can guess logins too.

This PWE account system is probably global and not per-game or per-forum. Some people have reported that the forum name they chose for another PWE game is what is being used by this forum.

I do not remember choosing an @handle when I created my PWE account. This probably means that for new PWE users, their @handle is set automatically to their forum name. In order to prevent new @handles from conflicting with existing @handles, the PWE system prevents you from choosing a forum name that matches an existing @handle (or one that matches an existing forum name).

This means that if you create a new PWE account and then link your Cryptic account to it, then your forum name must differ from your @handle. However, if you log into your Cryptic account and then use their account linking tool, then your will be able to choose your forum name to be the same as your @handle --- with the following caveats:

1. You cannot choose a forum name that another PWE user has already taken.
    2. Uppercase letters and special characters seem to be disallowed in PWE forum names.

Furthermore, some people have reported that the PWE login screen doesn't allow passwords longer than 14 characters. However, the account linking tool automatically copied their old password (which was longer than 14 characters), preventing them from logging in.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    shransto wrote: »

This is of MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR concern to me. I would have deleted this information too. I dont like the idea that my Credit Card info is in some database PWE has pulled or duplicated or saved somewhere.

Even if I delete it when I switch over, I will never be sure the info isnt in some file sitting on a PWE server.

But cutting us off from our accounts is so not right
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    genericiigenericii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Compared to some of the other issues, I must admit this is a minor gripe, however:

After claiming my "reward" box for merging my accounts, my VA's "level appropriate" gear was MK-X and not MK-XI. :confused:
  • Options
    grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Say I have been Bob@Bob since Emmit was just running a super hero forum. And I change my account name so now I'm Bob@bob2012

1) what happens to all my exchange items?
    2) what happens to my emails?
    3) what happens if people have @bob for me in their friends list? do I have to contact everyone and say hey I'm @bob2012 now.

is all this magically "linked"
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xorvianxorvian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I changed my password on my Cryptic account when they suggested we do so after some account hacks. I had it stored on my browser and forgot it. They changed the boards and the password doesn't come up anymore. They closed STO support and it's Perfect World support system now.

I sent a email two days ago to PW support saying I need my password for my Cryptic account and I haven't heard from them so I can link my accounts.
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    xorvian wrote: »
    I changed my password on my Cryptic account when they suggested we do so after some account hacks. I had it stored on my browser and forgot it. They changed the boards and the password doesn't come up anymore. They closed STO support and it's Perfect World support system now.

I sent a email two days ago to PW support saying I need my password for my Cryptic account and I haven't heard from them so I can link my accounts.

You could try the forgot password option when signing into the Champions Online website, it hasn't been completely merged into the PWE system and should be able to recover/reset your Cryptic account password.
  • Options
    xorvianxorvian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    sparhawk wrote: »
    You could try the forgot password option when signing into the Champions Online website, it hasn't been completely merged into the PWE system and should be able to recover/reset your Cryptic account password.

Thanks that worked I was able to get in and change it.
  • Options
    targpetz101targpetz101 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    man this kinda suxor
    [SIGPIC]This is not as good as it used to be...[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Q: If I link, is my Cryptic Account gone forever?
    No. We will never delete your Cryptic account. You will use your Perfect World credentials to access your Cryptic account, but it's still there, have no fear.

Nope. Your @handle will always be what you use in Cryptic games. Think of it this way: instead of two names, now you have three: account name, @handle, and forum name. Your @handle and forum name CAN be the same, but will not be automatically. If you select a different "nickname" at PWE Account Creation, it will NOT change your @handle. Likewise, if we change your @handle, your forum name stays the same - at this time, there is no way to change your forum name.

So if I'm understanding this right, I'll still have my Cryptic account and original @handle name I started with nearly 3 years ago to use in Cryptic based games but will have to adopt a new forum name if I want to keep posting.

Q: What if I don't have a PWE account?
    The linking flow will walk you through creating one. Chances are, we've even reserved your account name and @handle.

Q: What do you mean, you've reserved it?
    A while back, in preparation for this account linking process, we took all the names in the Cryptic database, and if they were not already in the Perfect World database, we reserved them for use through the linking process. If you login using your Cryptic information and go through the linking flow, you'll be able access that reserved information.

By reserved and access, I gather can only be used if it conforms to the new standards. When looking at linking my main account, I get an A-OK and green light to bring my old name over, which I understand is a blue box- with red meaning its a no-go. My old name, though underscored, DID SHOW as acceptable with the blue box but would not let me progress.

Which brings me back to a point made earlier, whats the point of reserving names and such if we cannot use them?

Going off on my interpretation here, I gather my @handle will not be forced to change in Cryptic games if I use a different forum name. So from being known as, for example, @An_Example-Name, I go to a forum name and keep the @handle, such as example as a forum name and still @An_Example-Name in Cryptic based games. Though under a different forum name, I'll still have my Cryptic name in STO regardless, or am I faulty in that line of thinking and we'll be handed a forced @handle name change to our forum "nicknames" sometime in the given future?

Instead of just going out on a limb here and assuming everything, a bit of confirmation and some answeres from PWE and Cryptic Staff would be greatly welcomed, but I do appreciat the player input in trying to help answer these.

I'm almost certain I'm not the only one with these questions and not the only one who would like to see a bit of clarification on the matter. I'm not only posting this for my gain and interest, but also for those who have the same questions and are seeking answeres.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,793 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I have a couple of questions. I had a code for Cryptic Points listed under my other account but that code seems to have vanished. Where do I find this information for CP Gift Codes? I have a toon on this account as well as several on another (Cryptic only) account. If I merge the two, what happens to the toons on both accounts?

I can answer part of that. You can login with your same info on the Champs site to find your code. However, this won't last long according to PWE's Customer Service so make sure you distribute or claim your codes soon. It sure would be nice to know the answer what I have hilighted in your post though.
    So if I'm understanding this right, I'll still have my Cryptic account and original @handle name I started with nearly 3 years ago to use in Cryptic based games but will have to adopt a new forum name if I want to keep posting.

By reserved and access, I gather can only be used if it conforms to the new standards. When looking at linking my main account, I get an A-OK and green light to bring my old name over, which I understand is a blue box- with red meaning its a no-go. My old name, though underscored, DID SHOW as acceptable with the blue box but would not let me progress.

Which brings me back to a point made earlier, whats the point of reserving names and such if we cannot use them?

Going off on my interpretation here, I gather my @handle will not be forced to change in Cryptic games if I use a different forum name. So from being known as, for example, @An_Example-Name, I go to a forum name and keep the @handle, such as example as a forum name and still @An_Example-Name in Cryptic based games. Though under a different forum name, I'll still have my Cryptic name in STO regardless, or am I faulty in that line of thinking and we'll be handed a forced @handle name change to our forum "nicknames" sometime in the given future?

Instead of just going out on a limb here and assuming everything, a bit of confirmation and some answeres from PWE and Cryptic Staff would be greatly welcomed, but I do appreciat the player input in trying to help answer these.

I'm almost certain I'm not the only one with these questions and not the only one who would like to see a bit of clarification on the matter. I'm not only posting this for my gain and interest, but also for those who have the same questions and are seeking answeres.

With Z's post being a wall of text most of you won't even bother to read. The people here are frustrated! You literally stripped the history out of this place with no warning at all. People could of at least backed up their RP threads or whatever they wanted to with a little notice and common curtesy. That aside, we want some answers from PWE employees! If you guys simply don't have the answers. Is it too much to ask to just say so and maybe even offer up, "we're doing our best to find out as soon as possible."?!

Edit: Another question. Once PWE forces us to use a PWE account to login to play STO. Will that change our in-games at that point in time?
  • Options
    finiesfinies Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    So what the hell?? First off , it was said that THIS WOULD NOT HAPPEN , NOW not that i have , i can get on the web site and rant , but i can't get into the game .. GET UR STUFF TOGETHER ... or mass exodus i see in ur future ..!!
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    finies wrote: »
    So what the hell?? First off , it was said that THIS WOULD NOT HAPPEN , NOW not that i have , i can get on the web site and rant , but i can't get into the game .. GET UR STUFF TOGETHER ... or mass exodus i see in ur future ..!!

Actually it was always said that linking to PWE would be required sooner or later. It never was said otherwise. :confused:
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    greedo42greedo42 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I believe people WERE told that their names and account information would be saved/reserved.

Of course, conveniently, this can't be verified as the entire history of the forums is archived and unusable. :frown:

On an unrelated note: Askray, how is moderation supposed to work? We can't report spam posts, trolls, obscenities, etc. What exactly are we supposed to do?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]PWE Web Team is bound for Gre'Thor.....:mad:
  • Options
    kobayashlmarukobayashlmaru Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Brandon, this has been a truly frustrating experience. I spent 4 hours trying to link accounts since your system is not correctly validating information before I submit (I'm a Firefox user). I eventually gave up and this name is what I ended up choosing. I was the first KM on this forum, now it looks like you have reserved my name for someone else. Why? I truly don't understand why this was necessary to do this.

Furthermore, and I can't be alone on this one, do whatever is necessary to voice that some of us do NOT want our in-game @name's changed. If this forum name becomes my in-game name I will not be happy. Some of us enjoy our uniqueness and this update feels as though someone just stole my identity. Don't put the same taste in my mouth in-game as you have on this forum.
    Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
  • Options
    heathenstormheathenstorm Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    To think it took the Massively article to spell the process out clearly. :confused:
  • Options
    oewefreestaroewefreestar Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I just read the updated version of the FAQ, and now I only have one question left.

I had made a PW account a long time ago to play a game with a few friends. We stopped playing it after real life got in the way and we haven't touched it since.

awhile back I logged in with my PW account info just to see if my characters would transfer over when using that information. THEY DID NOT. (I might have missed this bit so I'm going to ask now) When account linking becomes "non-optional", will we still be able to log in via our @handle(Cryptic information) or will we be forced to use the PW account information? If we will have to log in with our PW information, will our cryptic characters be transferred over so that we have access to them along with all that they have access to or will we be forced to start from scratch?

I've got a lot of history behind my characters and I would hate to lose them and all they have gained.

If anyone knows anything about this, I would love to hear what you know and if there's anything I can do to get this corrected.
  • Options
    palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The Cryptic forums look like oasis in the desert

PWE = not looking very smart, poor transition, poor execution, less features, no avatars or transfered over handle and account names, bottom line..... plenty of unsatisfied customers.

I am starting to miss Atari....... And I thought they ate lead paint chips as kids.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    landonkentlandonkent Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Wow what a pain! Just got back from a month vacation and i get to come back to crappy looking forums and I am forced to give my information to perfect world yay customer service at it's finest... ha