test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Tholians have arrived!

Comments

• aeolusdallasaeolusdallas Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    officer525 wrote: »
    Nice screenshots; sure looks like the Tholians are coming along. It's nice to see they've actually got some ship design behind them too. I was worried we'd be seeing re-used ENT & TOS style designs, but it looks like we've got some new ones to shoot down instead. This pleases me (thank you Cryptic).

Here's hoping the next set of screenshots will be ground-based. :wink:

I agree and I love the look of the Tholian capital ship. Pure awesome.
    edited June 2012
    nynik wrote: »
    No problem for the pictures all! Just felt most people wouldn't get a chance to see these for a while yet and wanted to share the fun.

Thats a hard question to answer. During this fleet scenario, I was not often alone with them, so it was reasonably easy to defeat each group considering I had my fellow VAs backing me up.

There were also a few types of triangular ships. From larger ships, to smaller ships and then web nodes. So there is a lot to shoot at. I'm not sure what the disruption torpedoes do (debuff?) but if your not careful you can very quickly find yourself getting trapped inside the web.

One thing that is not clear from the images, is that the web collapses or decreases in size when it naturally ends (as opposed to having the nodes destroyed I guess). At least it seemed that way. Having had some of it burn through my shields and armor more than once, I can only imagine the horror of what it would be like to be still trapped inside it when it shrunk in on you.

All in all, they seem to be a nice new enemy in space at least.
    In the shows once the web is complete it's pretty much game over for whoever is caught inside.
  • sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Yes indeed... what are those mirror universe ships doing with Tholians...

This thread makes me hear this in my head

Tease. How about some more ship pictures? :biggrin:
  • admiraljt#1430 admiraljt Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Yes indeed... what are those mirror universe ships doing with Tholians...

This thread makes me hear this in my head

Come on, Come on, Spill the beans already!!!
  • topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I didn't have any lag issues on the Fleet Blockade maps with the Tholians. I did however have serious lag problems on the Defense map. I've played PVP with 10 carriers spamming away and didn't have the lag that I got during the Fleet Defense.

Interesting, I just ran through 3 starbase defense maps and didn't encounter any lag at all (except once, when there was a lot of ejected warp plasma everywhere - which always seems to make me lag). Interesting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • tankalot42otankalot42o Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    pure awsomeness
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    topset wrote: »
    Interesting, I just ran through 3 starbase defense maps and didn't encounter any lag at all (except once, when there was a lot of ejected warp plasma everywhere - which always seems to make me lag). Interesting.

Upon further testing the lag isn't bad on every run I've made.The ones that had lag though lagged when the Dreadnoughts spawned.
  • topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Upon further testing the lag isn't bad on every run I've made.The ones that had lag though lagged when the Dreadnoughts spawned.

Now that *is* weird. That's not a particularly busy part of the mission, really. I'd imagine it's a bug that will be ironed out before holodeck release.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
    edited June 2012
    I thought I remembered hearing a long time ago that Tholians might actually exist in (or at least be aware of) both the Prime Universe and the Mirror Universe at the same time, and is one of the reasons they demand punctuality so ruthlessly at times (as certain things have to be lined up in both universes) and seem act without reason other times (maybe reacting to something happening in the other universe).

In another tie-in with Tholians and the Mirror Universe, when the TOS-era USS Defiant was trapped in the Tholian web, it ended up getting sent to the Mirror Universe (and back in time to the Mirror Enterprise era).

Well the Tholians certainly have a pretty good understanding of time travel, weird physics and alternate universes. :biggrin:

The traits associated with them are punctuality, territoriality and xenophobia.... So why are those mirror universe ships there.................hmmm
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I hope we get to see the Tholians in more places, both in ground maps and space maps. The "tholian web" power looks awesome.
    HvGQ9pH.png
    edited June 2012
    meurik wrote: »
    I hope we get to see the Tholians in more places, both in ground maps and space maps. The "tholian web" power looks awesome.

There were some sneak peeks of Tholians on the ground some time last year. I remember talk about tech problems with making them walk rite. But I'm pretty certain we'll be seeing them soon.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Looks awesome. Can't wait to blow them up!
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • radkipradkip Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I hope we get to see what they look like on the ground. From the looks of it, there isn't a smidgen of ground content coming next season (at least none announced that I can remember), so probably not.

Edit: wow, almost word for word someone posted what was on my mind a few posts back. Only I was more pessimistic about seeing them on the ground. >.>

Fanfiction! ZOMG! Read it now!
    kate-wintersbite.deviantart.com/art/0x01-Treachery-293641403
    edited June 2012
    radkip wrote: »
    I hope we get to see what they look like on the ground. From the looks of it, there isn't a smidgen of ground content coming next season (at least none announced that I can remember), so probably not.

WWell there were pics released some time ago showing a tholian world and early attempts att getting tholians to walk right
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Well the Tholians certainly have a pretty good understanding of time travel, weird physics and alternate universes. :biggrin:

The traits associated with them are punctuality, territoriality and xenophobia.... So why are those mirror universe ships there.................hmmm

That is so awesome!

What if the Tholians from the TOS episode deliberately caught the Defiant in that spatial rift, intending to send it back to the mirror universe so they could use it to aid their Empire there with it's advanced tech? And once the mirror universe Tholian Empire was established, then send the more advanced tech back through the rift to the Prime universe to start upgrading the Prime Empire? A sort of cross dimensional time TRIBBLE type thing.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
    edited June 2012
    grylak wrote: »
    That is so awesome!

What if the Tholians from the TOS episode deliberately caught the Defiant in that spatial rift, intending to send it back to the mirror universe so they could use it to aid their Empire there with it's advanced tech? And once the mirror universe Tholian Empire was established, then send the more advanced tech back through the rift to the Prime universe to start upgrading the Prime Empire? A sort of cross dimensional time TRIBBLE type thing.

I really like that idea. It also fits with the Tholians being one of the factions in the Time War.
  • percyfawcettpercyfawcett Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Tholians can only live at extremely high temperatures.

From Memory Alpha...
    Tholian biology required high temperatures around 480 Kelvin (207 ?C, 404 ?F). They could tolerate lower temperatures for a brief period of time; if they were exposed to temperatures around 380 Kelvin or less, their carapace would crack. This was painful or distressing; a Tholian subjected to such a temperature regime could be coerced to cooperate. In temperatures even lower, a Tholian would freeze solid and shatter.

So, putting Tholians in ground combat in STO would be utterly TRIBBLE.
    @lucifer.baphomet in game, and on the NPW forums
  • sito1jastsito1jast Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012

From Memory Alpha...

the tholians in ENT decided to try and board the ship that one time for the Tardis thing... maybe they have their own suits similiar to the Breen... that or we'll end up on some Demon planet stuck in our suits trying to kill them :O
  • caliban149caliban149 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012

From Memory Alpha...

Hmmmm the Tholians not having coming up with some way around that serious environmental restriction to their interests would also be utterly TRIBBLE . . Heck the Breen manage it.
    edited June 2012

From Memory Alpha...

The pics of the Tholian world were very "Venus" like so I assume we will be wearing space suits. And no it's not TRIBBLE (not really a word you should be using like that by the way.) It's awesome!
    edited June 2012
    caliban149 wrote: »
    Hmmmm the Tholians not having coming up with some way around that serious environmental restriction to their interests would also be utterly TRIBBLE . . Heck the Breen manage it.

Tholians most likely do the same thing... except their suits are.. somewhat... hot :P
  • th3xr34p3rth3xr34p3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Ok I'm def looking forward to fighting them now can't wait to see a fight on ground too when it goes live (I bet we get thier torps as a special reward at one point or another like we did we the breen).
    [SIGPIC]Click to visit Subspace-Radio[/SIGPIC]
    Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
    The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
    edited June 2012
    th3xr34p3r wrote: »
    Ok I'm def looking forward to fighting them now can't wait to see a fight on ground too when it goes live (I bet we get thier torps as a special reward at one point or another like we did we the breen).

that or the tholians are the next lockbox-ers... an 5 players are require with tholian ships to make a web :O
  • delsabereduxdelsaberedux Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    We have EV suits now for more than just mining dilithium. Any ground combat versus Tholians will almost certainly utilize those in a very Tholian-friendly, human-scorching environment.
    Relax.
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    caliban149 wrote: »

the one in Facility 4280 had to get there somehow, im sure it wasnt just put in a hot box and shipped there.
  • ltcmdjamescoreltcmdjamescore Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    tenkari wrote: »
    the one in Facility 4280 had to get there somehow, im sure it wasnt just put in a hot box and shipped there.

Good point.
    izNBNFT.jpg
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    They are using tetryon weapons, right? They had blue weapons in their canon appearences.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091107024732/memoryalpha/en/images/5/54/Tholian_particle_weapon.jpg
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • ebeneezergoodeebeneezergoode Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    This looks totally awesome, I hope they get put into the Foundry as assets once it all goes live. I've wanted me some Tholians in there for a looong time. Watched "The Tholian Web" recently too, may have to dust off the Typhon Pact books as well.

Regarding Tholians and getting about in other folks' enviroments, as others have mentioned, they use EVA suits. Regarding their Xenophobia, punctuality etc... some good theories, but sometimes a species are just jerks. Anyone remember the Jarada (harada)?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    they said any ground combat would have us in the suits fighting in their environment which could be cool.

a tholian EV suit would be something pretty impressive though. they have at times ventured out into other environments so they must have something they use.
  • ltcmdjamescoreltcmdjamescore Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Hmm. Maybe we can use some sonic weapons on them or Breen CRM. :biggrin:
    "Phlox! Can you come to my readyroom..."
    izNBNFT.jpg