test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mission ideas I'll never have time for

drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
I have a problem. I have too many ideas, and not enough time to make Foundry missions out of them all. I need to finish the missions I have started, which will take up plenty of time.

So, in an effort to get some more discussion going in this forum, I'm going to put these ideas out there and if anyone wants to make the mission they may do so. You can alter the ideas in any way you want, I renounce any claim on them :) Just let me know if you use them so I can play your mission.

Ideas:

1) "Bottle Episode." In a TV show when the special effects and set design budgets get a little thin, they'll do an episode where they only use existing sets. So my idea is to make one of these "bottle" episodes that takes place entirely on the player's ship. Think "Data's Day" or "Lower Decks" or something similar.

2) "What happened to the Maquis?" What happened to the Federation colonies that were along/inside the Cardassian border after the war. Did the border shift as the Fed/Klingon/Romulan Alliance conquered more territory. Sisko rescued some of the Maquis, and what about those surviving Maquis on Voyager. Did they try to rebuild? Did they go back to killing Cardassians. Lots of unanswered questions. I have a name in my head that I wanted to use: "Eddington's Raiders." Someone please take it and run with it!

3) "Organians." This one came up in the Starbase UGC chatroom, so I can't claim it's my idea, but seriously, big old Fed/Klink war, and where are the Organians?

4) "Conspiracy." Remember the alien parasites that got extremely close to taking over the Federation? Remember how they were never mentioned again? Well it's sequel time baby!

Now here's where you all join in. Please post any ideas of yours that you know you'll never have the time or interest to make into Foundry missions.
The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Post edited by drogyn1701 on

Comments

• woghdwoghd Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I've been thinking about doing an Organian episode.

I became re-fascinated with them after their re-appearance on "Enterprise"
    [SIGPIC]HTTP://RABIDPANDARANCH.COM/images/grazcity.png[/SIGPIC]

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: CHANGE THE FORUMS BACK !!!
  • galactrixgalactrix Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I have ideas for what I want to make missions on. But I just can't figure out the details like what happens in the middle and how it ends :p

Also, making a Foundry mission is so time intensive, you really need to be in the mood to make something. Maybe the Season 6 improvements will make it more streamlined.

For now, I find that I prefer playing missions rather than making them.

P.S. Everyone watch Broadcast UGC!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Syndicate Extraction by Galactrix - Trailer: youtu.be/8SL7AXuUMec
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Have to admit that a users previous sig about the 8 ecs for a cup of tea gave me an idea.

The "how lifelike are your boffs" thread gave me some as well.

Maybe someday I;ll get access to the foundry so i can give it a try.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    You may be happy now, I've had the idea of a maquis plot recently. I still have to finish the two missions i'm currently working on, and they are really demanding, but this maquis arc may be next in the queue. Next month, maybe. :biggrin:

Will be based on DS9 maquis storyline, since I find Voyager utterly boring.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    4) "Conspiracy." Remember the alien parasites that got extremely close to taking over the Federation? Remember how they were never mentioned again? Well it's sequel time baby!

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070725121151/memoryalpha/en/images/a/a8/Conspiracy_(Andrew_Probert).jpg - I think the developers have beaten you to it ;)
    I'll be mentioning the Organians in my mission for the 4th Foundry Challenge, keep an eye out for it.

I get what you mean with this post, added up I currently have 23 ideas and plans for missions with five in production right now! It's hard to stay so focused with so much material giving you inspiration!
    I'm currently working on a series called 'Origins' and have yet to go back to my last foundry challenge entry and edit it, now the contest is over!

A recent idea I thought would be good to explore in a comical way would be a version of the Men In Black, kind of like a goody goody Section 31.
    Another was an adventure with another one of the Travellers species!... maybe I should of kept that one! lol
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
    edited July 2012
    Just to throw out an idea since I;m still waiting for access.

I;ve always loved the Star Frontiers. I tried to write the Volturnus trilogy as a fanfiction but never got far with it. That and the Dramune Run module looked doable to me as far as I can tell.

Maybe someday....
  • intrinsicalintrinsical Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    1) "Bottle Episode." In a TV show when the special effects and set design budgets get a little thin, they'll do an episode where they only use existing sets. So my idea is to make one of these "bottle" episodes that takes place entirely on the player's ship. Think "Data's Day" or "Lower Decks" or something similar.

My mission, Komahashi Maru, is a bottle episode. It happens entirely in a holodeck simulation where the player gets to be captain of the USS Galaxy. Coincidentally the mission also heavily features Sherman's Planet, which as you know was the direct result of the Organian Peace Treaty between the Federation and the Klingon Empire.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Maybe someday I;ll get access to the foundry so i can give it a try.

You STILL can't get into the Foundry? :(

1. Bottle Episodes - reminds me of the movie "Phone Booth" if you haven't seen it, watch it. The whole Indy Film takes place on a New York street, and you guessed it, in a phone booth.

2. I just read this to my husband, he shouted back, "A better question is, what happened to Tom Riker, who joined them and was arrested by the Cardassians?".

Here is a challenge (due to limitations in the Foundry) I am busy doing a few KDF missions next. Your ship plows through space and you get this strange message very weak.

"Federation scum, you destroy our world and flee from us. We will show you no mercy since you showed us none."

Any replies and attempts to get the signal back prove futile. Shortly after your crew (red shirts) start turning up dead throughout the ship. The mission is a basic mystery of how the crew members are dying. Medical reveals the cause of death is massive tissue disruption as if they had been "slow cooked" by a Klingon disruptor.

What happened was this; your deflector array pushes small objects like asteroids out of the path of your ship. One such "asteroid" was actually an inhabited planet. The aliens there are smaller than a common Earth flea. The entire surviving armada is aboard your ship and killing your crew one by one. The obviously impossible part is to show someone getting killed by a swarm of tiny vessels. Let me know if some one does this because I would like to know how it ends...
    NFA-banner.png
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited July 2012
    1. Bottle Episodes - reminds me of the movie "Phone Booth" if you haven't seen it, watch it. The whole Indy Film takes place on a New York street, and you guessed it, in a phone booth.

Love Phone Booth! Great movie.
    2. I just read this to my husband, he shouted back, "A better question is, what happened to Tom Riker, who joined them and was arrested by the Cardassians?".

Ironically I was just reading the behind-the-scenes entries on Memory Alpha for the episode "Defiant" which is one of my favorites. Apparently the subject of Tom Riker was a no-go in the DS9 writers room after that episode. I don't know why, could have made a fantastic prison break episode. But anyway, maybe Tom Riker escaped/was let go at the end of the war and founded Eddington's Raiders as the successor to the Maquis. He might be dead by now or an old man pulling the strings from some hidden base.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
    edited July 2012
    Ironically I was just reading the behind-the-scenes entries on Memory Alpha for the episode "Defiant" which is one of my favorites. Apparently the subject of Tom Riker was a no-go in the DS9 writers room after that episode. I don't know why, could have made a fantastic prison break episode. But anyway, maybe Tom Riker escaped/was let go at the end of the war and founded Eddington's Raiders as the successor to the Maquis. He might be dead by now or an old man pulling the strings from some hidden base.

I read he was suppose to be apart of the rebellion during the Dominion War but it was pulled at the last minute because the Actor wasn't available at the time.
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
    edited July 2012
    I read he was suppose to be apart of the rebellion during the Dominion War but it was pulled at the last minute because the Actor wasn't available at the time.

In that case, I don't see why they didn't use the other actor, since the teleporter cloned him right? LoL
    NFA-banner.png
  • nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm tentatively planning on doing a follow-up to Conspiracy eventually. However, that is about 6-7 missions deep so, it remains to be seen if it ever happens.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The one idea I've seriously considered but never started is making a mission where the Federation returns to FGC-47 and creates a formal treaty with the inhabitants. Seriously.... why doesn't the Federation spend more time creating strong ties to non-humanoid races?

Isabella was AWESOME!

And yeah, a follow up to conspiracy would rock. (They never did a follow up because the nature of the Borg got redefined between writing Conspiracy, and Season 2.)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    And yeah, a follow up to conspiracy would rock. (They never did a follow up because the nature of the Borg got redefined between writing Conspiracy, and Season 2.)

I always thought they should have made one of the movies a follow-up to it. Even though the Borg got redefined the Conspiracy aliens still existed, and their influence could have made for a good plot. It certainly could have been better than Insurrection, which was as close to a throw away idea as in any Star Trek movie, or for that matter Nemesis.
    edited July 2012
    nagorak wrote: »
    I always thought they should have made one of the movies a follow-up to it. Even though the Borg got redefined the Conspiracy aliens still existed, and their influence could have made for a good plot. It certainly could have been better than Insurrection, which was as close to a throw away idea as in any Star Trek movie, or for that matter Nemesis.

I liked the idea of Insurrection, after all these adventures saving people they now have to save a race from the thing they swore to protect and serve in the first place.

Though Nemesis, WTF was that about!? Your right Conspiracy would of been a way better story to explore, they could of killed of Data in a bit of a bigger build up whilst taking out their invading fleet.
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    edited July 2012
    Insurrection was good, but, yeah, villain of the week.

I actually LIKED the plot of Nemesis. It's wonderful to see the Romulans as something other than villains. I liked how it reminded the viewers that while Romulans aren't necessarily nice, they aren't blood thirsty barbarians.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited July 2012
    Insurrection was good, but, yeah, villain of the week.

I actually LIKED the plot of Nemesis. It's wonderful to see the Romulans as something other than villains. I liked how it reminded the viewers that while Romulans aren't necessarily nice, they aren't blood thirsty barbarians.

That's true! Would of been good to see both sides of the Romulan War to, perhaps it could of all started over the stupidest little misunderstanding and both sides were led to believe the other is blood thirsty!
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, it'd be nice, but the Feds are the stars of the show, Nemesis is the only time we got to see things(partially) from the Romulan point of view. It'd be awesome, but I don't think the studio would every do it.

Which of course means that it's prime real-estate for foundry Authors. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, it'd be nice, but the Feds are the stars of the show, Nemesis is the only time we got to see things(partially) from the Romulan point of view. It'd be awesome, but I don't think the studio would every do it.

Which of course means that it's prime real-estate for foundry Authors. :D

I always thought it would be cool if they did Star Trek:Origins, a series of TV Movies that explored the origins of races, starting of course with the Romulan Caravan!
    Then there is Kahless, Breen, Ferengi Warp Drive, Terran Empire, Eugenics Wars, Dominion, then the big one; The Borg! ;)
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    edited July 2012
    that would be awesome. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited July 2012
    .... :eek: Origin of Nomad! Origin of the Skin of Evil!!!

I thought TRIBBLE it, ill make a thread; Link. :D
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    edited July 2012
    One of the Q pops up interested in giving you a history lesson. he takes you back thousands of years to Ferenginar where you discover that back then the Ferengi weren't the money grubbing folks that they are now.

They were more interested in nature and beauty and all that other stuff.

It;s up to the player to figure out what changed them.
  • anshraanshra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I have a problem. I have too many ideas, and not enough time to make Foundry missions out of them all. I need to finish the missions I have started, which will take up plenty of time.

So, in an effort to get some more discussion going in this forum, I'm going to put these ideas out there and if anyone wants to make the mission they may do so. You can alter the ideas in any way you want, I renounce any claim on them :) Just let me know if you use them so I can play your mission.

Ideas:

2) "What happened to the Maquis?" What happened to the Federation colonies that were along/inside the Cardassian border after the war. Did the border shift as the Fed/Klingon/Romulan Alliance conquered more territory. Sisko rescued some of the Maquis, and what about those surviving Maquis on Voyager. Did they try to rebuild? Did they go back to killing Cardassians. Lots of unanswered questions. I have a name in my head that I wanted to use: "Eddington's Raiders." Someone please take it and run with it!

3) "Organians." This one came up in the Starbase UGC chatroom, so I can't claim it's my idea, but seriously, big old Fed/Klink war, and where are the Organians?

Now here's where you all join in. Please post any ideas of yours that you know you'll never have the time or interest to make into Foundry missions.

1) great idea!
    2) I had an idea about that, that I half built, never polished and pulled after a short time involving "Rebecca Sulivan" Eddigtons wife.
    3) also sounds really cool.
    4)They were the design concept for "The Borg". However, due to the cost of making a completely insectoid race, the writers made them a more budget friendly cyborg race.
    - Into the jaws of hell.
    edited July 2012
    I know I've read the behind-the-scenes stuff too :) but obviously in-universe, they are something different than the Borg. So what were they? Where did they come from? What did they want? Could be a good mission!

I also had another one. This could be a good one for BranFlakes' challenges:

Make a mission based on one of your DOFFs. I know we all have some odd DOFFs runnign around our ships, like Tholians, Romulans, etc. You meet said DOFF in the corridor one day and you get to talking and somehow that leads you on a galaxy-hopping adventure to do... something...
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I want to do a mission revolving around the introduction of the Ferasans into the KDF, I'd call it "The Nomad's Crown" (I'm not a fan of the song but the title conjures up some nice imagery) interrogating some Caitian prisoners on Rura Penthe, breaking some Ferasans out of a holding facility (since the Foundry is apparently getting 4028) and then coming to the aid of some Ferasan carriers, fighters and civilian convoys under attack by some Starfleet douchebags and escort them back to Qo'noS but I don't know...
    edited August 2012
    Came up with another one yesterday, this one would be very challenging:

A mission where you, as the captain, command the whole thing from the bridge. We always complain about "Why is my Vice Admiral doing everything the junior officers should do." or "In TNG the captain most often doesn't go on away missions, why am I?" So why not try to make a mission where you command the whole thing from the bridge. You issue orders, set course and warp factor, fight a battle with evasive maneuvers and attack pattern omega, you send away teams and hear their reports, make the big decisions and watch (figuratively speaking) them get carried out.

This would be extremely challenging because it would depend almost completely on the quality of the script to keep it entertaining. But it could be very cool.
    edited August 2012
    Blargskull told me he was working on such a mission prior to Foundry failures.

The biggest issues I believe on bridge missions would be;

1. Disposing of your away team. Other than locking them in a closet.

2. The bridge will never matches the player's bridge. He worked this out by having you temp for another Captain.

I do hope he gets to finish it soon.
    NFA-banner.png
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This is Off Topic... but I would like to personally thank each of the Foundry authors for the care, and countless hours you obviously put into your missions.

The foundry has become, for me, a refuge from the grind... and in all honesty, keeps me playing. Cryptic could do a lot worse than taking a lot of these missions, and making them mainstream. With obvious adjustments to make them work in the story line of STO.

Cryptic should up the reward drops in reviewed missions to be on par with those of the story-line missions (with review of course, there are soem missions that are 30 second clicks for the Officer Reports event).

I decided to try and create my own foundry mission, and lets just say, it gave me a new found respect for the work, time, effort, and thought that each of you puts in to your missions.

So, thank you!

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
    edited August 2012
    Blargskull told me he was working on such a mission prior to Foundry failures.

The biggest issues I believe on bridge missions would be;

1. Disposing of your away team. Other than locking them in a closet.

2. The bridge will never matches the player's bridge. He worked this out by having you temp for another Captain.

I do hope he gets to finish it soon.

I hope he is still working on it. The way I envision it, it could be great. I had in mind a non-Trek example, thinking how through that whole awesome sequence in Battlestar Galactica where they jump the ship into the atmosphere and launch their fighters as its plummeting toward the ground then jump out into orbit at the last minute, and through the whole thing Commander Adama doesn't so much as look out a window.

I did a very very small version in my latest mission, where I have the player fight a small battle from their bridge, and I did face the two challenges you outlined. I got around the second issue by setting on an auxiliary bridge which I designed. The story is your ship gets hit and some hull breaches form on the main bridge and forcefields are down, so you have to evacuate. I got around the first issue by completely ignoring the away team and using a relief crew to fill out the bridge positions. I figure in a crisis where seconds count you might just have them stay at their stations when you make it down to the auxiliary bridge.

It would be much easier if we could just set a map to be player-only. But I don't anticipate them giving us that any time soon.

And thanks Johnny, it's players like you that make the whole thing worthwhile for us authors.
  • blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I hope he is still working on it. The way I envision it, it could be great. I had in mind a non-Trek example, thinking how through that whole awesome sequence in Battlestar Galactica where they jump the ship into the atmosphere and launch their fighters as its plummeting toward the ground then jump out into orbit at the last minute, and through the whole thing Commander Adama doesn't so much as look out a window.

I did a very very small version in my latest mission, where I have the player fight a small battle from their bridge, and I did face the two challenges you outlined. I got around the second issue by setting on an auxiliary bridge which I designed. The story is your ship gets hit and some hull breaches form on the main bridge and forcefields are down, so you have to evacuate. I got around the first issue by completely ignoring the away team and using a relief crew to fill out the bridge positions. I figure in a crisis where seconds count you might just have them stay at their stations when you make it down to the auxiliary bridge.

It would be much easier if we could just set a map to be player-only. But I don't anticipate them giving us that any time soon.

And thanks Johnny, it's players like you that make the whole thing worthwhile for us authors.

Yeah I am still working on the dialog. Haven't got the Foundry to do much yet.

Basically it takes place aboard the U.S.S. Evening Star. It is called "Night Watch" where you get requested to take over as acting Captain. I have you going other places on the ship but as you know we are limited on ship maps. So I was building some... until some JERK shut the Foundry down again. :mad:

The idea is you need to do things mostly from the bridge and work with a crew you are unfamiliar with while their Captain is away on a covert mission. I got this idea watching a re-run of STNG "Chain of Command".

So drogyn1701, as you see great minds do think alike. :)