test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which faction would you play if they both had EQUAL content?

13»

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    nynik wrote:
    Its all about asking the right questions and I wonder how different the poll in this topic would be if BOTH was not an option.

I have no idea, but since it is it gives people every reasonable combination of how they would or would not play a Fed or KDF character. Not having it as an option would have provided a less accurate result.
    edited June 2012
    I already play 70% Fed , 30% KDF .
    A full KDF faction would not change that (as I only play STF's & PVP most of the time) .

What I would like to see is a KDF Starter Tutorial added -- even if it bumps you up to level 18 at the moment .
    It would be easy enough to edit some dialogue in this tutorial later on when/if additional levels are added (1-18) .

I find it irksome to think that the players who want to play KDF first have to spend time leveling a Fed .
    edited June 2012
    I have no idea, but since it is it gives people every reasonable combination of how they would or would not play a Fed or KDF character. Not having it as an option would have provided a less accurate result.

It would be less accurate for the purposes of gauging opinion perhaps, but more accurate for directing development, given there is no option to develop both equally (whatever that actually means) beyond shared content. Not that this poll's purpose is to directly direct development of course.
    edited June 2012
    I'd still play both.
    I log on to each of my fed and KDF characters regularly. Well, except for one, but she kind of doesn't count anymore.
    edited June 2012
    Borg, probably. :p

I don't think I'd focus on one faction. I always jump between chars, and I even do it now.
    For endgame purposes, KDF and FED are already equal (ly spare). The challenge is getting there with the lack of content.

KDF gameplay also suffers currently from the lack of customization options. The ships just don't have as many costumes as the Federation ships have. I like my uniquely costumed and customized starship or character.
    edited June 2012
    BOTH or ALL of them

i already have 10 Chars (6 FED, 4 KDF)
    i can just as well make a few more when Romulans or whatever arrive...
    the only reason to do more chars at the moment is if they introduce new Ships that i HAVE to fly, that require a certain type of roleplay (for example, my D'Kora has a Ferengi Captain, my Galor has a Cardy and my Bug Ship has a alien creator fake Jem'Hadar captain... i just have no idea what to do if they release a Breen or Tholian Ship... i doubt we will get a player captain for those.... if i ever want an Atrox Carrier i need to roll a Caitian, i got no reason to roll a Ferasan or Lethean because they have no Ships. A Vulcan with the D'Kyr is also somewhere on my Shopping list... and if i ever have to many C-Points i may even make a nausicaan with that odd Transformer Ship)....

new Ships = new Char.

Ships with no fitting Player Captain -> PASS
    Player Captains without fitting Ships -> PASS

but at the moment i'm waiting for that Sovereign Refit +1 /whatever, and have at least 4 Ships to properly equip with items... so PLEASE give me some breathing room to get that done first, any more ships and i go into brain meltdown mode ;P
    edited June 2012
    I have and will only play my KDF toons. I prefer them to the federation side, but unless the KDF get some more ships and PVP gets some more maps soon - I'll be taking another long break from the game.
    edited June 2012
    Wow looking at the results there is more interest in the KDF than STO's metrics seem to imply.

That is really weird.
    edited June 2012
    piwright42 wrote: »
    That is really weird.

I know, it's like, so weird that numbers pulled from servers independant of any other factors aren't an accurate reflection of playerbase desires.
    edited June 2012
    I'd play both. I've capped 3 Fed toons, and I'm up to lvl. 45 on my Klingon. I'm planning on buying the Ferasans and making another toon for the KDF side. I really enjoy playing both factions. I'm usually a goody-goody on the Fed side, it's a nice change to run in guns blazing instead of just trying to talk things out and 'do the right thing'. For instance, on the mission 'Operation Gamma' when you get to decide Farek's fate, I let her bugger off on my Fed toon. But I blew up her ship on the Klingon side since she fought without Honor and left me hanging after I scrounged up all of those materials for her...

So, my vote is for both equally.
    edited June 2012
    One confounding effect is that this poll is more likely to have folks interested in change or KDF, because KDF fans are more likely to be motivated to speak up about it.

The average Fed player may be less likely to read this forum at all, and are certainly less likely to pipe up about not caring if KDF had equal content.
    edited June 2012
    I know, it's like, so weird that numbers pulled from servers independant of any other factors aren't an accurate reflection of playerbase desires.

who are you to question prophecy?

/ it's self fulfilling, you know.
    edited June 2012
    My original plan was to play KDF until it was revealed to be all about PvP, instead of being the full PvE experience that Jack Emmert stood there, looked us all collectively in they eye, and told us it would be. I was looking forward to exploring a different aspect of Star Trek from the one that has apropriately claimed central focus in the shows. And I typically play the "good guy" in most MMOs, so it would have been nice to be honorably antagonistic for a change.

I don't PvP so KDF was not for me.

So if UFP and KDF were indeed full Level 1-50 with equal storyline missions, I would have a KDF nain character and a UFP alt character.

So yes, it IS Cryptic's fault that interest in the KDF is so low. Since launch they have never even pretended that the KDF faction is anything but an afterthought of an afterthought. They can pull numbers out of the air all they want to shift the blame in an attempt to justify this. They want to say, "There isn't enough interest in the the KDF, so we are not going to devote serious attention to it." But the truth is there isn't enough interest in the KDF because they NEVER devoted serious attention to it.

I don't know... In retrospect, I wonder if Jack Emmert even really knew what was being developed. It is entirely possible that while he was up there telling the world what STO was going to be like, this was the dev team's reaction.
    edited June 2012
    This answer is easy. Both.
    edited June 2012
    Romulan =P
    edited June 2012
    A Poll wrote:

Despite how it's worded, a poll from 2005 is completely irrelevant for any sort of baseline establishment for a modern MMORPG.

Over 200+ "MMORPG" titles have been released since the year 2005, some big names among them were EverQuest 2, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, LotR, AoC, WO:AoR, Aion, Rift, SW:TOR and countless indie and eastern games.

The landscape have changed dramatically since 2005, both in what is acceptable but also what is expected.
    For a MMORPG today it has to be flexible and adapt, and have some very specific feature sets and content, for the modern day MMORPG gamer to pay any remote attention to it.

Games that can't adapt or be flexible end up as the dinosaurs, Nokia or RIM, extinct or close to.

On a different note, it'd be curious to see what a poll would look like with Fed vs Romulans vs Klingon.
  • branmakmorrnbranmakmorrn Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Which faction would you play if they both had EQUAL content?

After you vote please share your thoughts :)

I'm going to roll Illuminati, even though I didn't see it listed.
  • mgazermgazer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I play both. I have one of each at lvl 50. The endgame content seems the same for both of them (STFs) and I bounce back and forth.

I personally don't see anything to that 16% KDF number in game. Anytime I've played there have always been loads of KDF ships tooling around Klingon space. Traffic isn't sparse by any means.

They have all the hard numbers already. Why would they guess when they can simply pull the numbers of KDF characters from their database?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    IV4N_R4D151CH[SIGPIC]"To watch a train wreck in motion, is an enlightening experience. Especially when it seems to be happening in slow motion."[/SIGPIC] LOCATION: Amongst the wreckage.
  • viaxaviaxa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Romulans would be awesome, just for the ships honestly.

I play probably 70% of my time as KDF now, spread across two characters.
  • shakesfistatskyshakesfistatsky Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I'm a fed only guy...playing Klingons has never interested me. It's the same reason I can't bring myself to use a non-fed ship on my fed toons. It just doesn't look right.
    I survived the 2012 Forum Merge - Join Date 11/2008
  • mercuriciodidemercuriciodide Member Posts: 342
    edited June 2012
    I prefer the red UI for the Klingon side because it's easier on the eyes.

I also like my Orion man pretty well, although it would be helpful to be able to make one who doesn't grimace. The honor thing is pretty contradictory, though, and the emphasis on bloodsport/death makes it seem pretty unrealistic for the faction to have high-quality technology. This is also an issue I had with Voyager's Hirogen. If the Hirogen spend all their time hunting/dying/blowing things up, how do they have time to deal with technology? Where do they get the resources to have fancy ships? One of my character traits is that I like things even in a sci-fi or fantasy universe to make sense. It's easier to destroy than to create, but it's also harder to get advanced tech that way. Stealing resources is one thing, but to make everything work, one tends to need the foundation.

One thing that could be interesting is a third "faction" that isn't a faction at all: unaligned. Both factions could try to recruit unaligned characters/ships and they could straddle the divide -- especially if they take a commerce-heavy role. There are aspects of neutrality in the game already, but it could be a nice alternative to the two existing paradigms. The Federation could also be improved to be more diplomatic and less violent.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Cant edit the OP anymore but the poll still works folks so please keep sharing your feedback :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • vminkvmink Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Ye gods... now this is in-your-face proof of how impossible or at least improbable it will be to dig out any information from previous version of the forum. :(
    ---
    Gowron Simmons is pleased to see you, yes!
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Well I'd still play as a Federation character, just because I like the Federation better.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • captaintrueheartcaptaintrueheart Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I prefer the Federation... I've never been a fan of Klingons
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
    Captain Ariel Trueheart Department of Temporal Investigations
    U.S.S. Valkyrie - NCC 991701
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
  • jam062307jam062307 Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I'd still be mainly Fed. While I do have 1 max level Klingon toon, I prefer fed. Have three max level working on getting them outfitted with gear.
    STOP THE
    tacofangs wrote: »
    We planned on doing it next weekend, but then we saw your post and were like, "Dude, we should totally move that up a week! Tee Hee!"
  • sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    KDF.

Having to mingle with Tellarites and Pakleds is a lose-lose outcome.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    KDF.

Having to mingle with Tellarites and Pakleds is a lose-lose outcome.

Orions > Tellarites
    I would still main my Fed, but I'd be more likely to moonlight than I am now.

I am of the opinion that the KDF needs more than just the basic content parity that we all want. Some kind of unique gameplay to that faction will probably be necessary to really get things rolling. Maybe develop marauding into something far larger, I dunno.

...that said, I'd be more likely to spend time as a Romulan should that faction ever exist, especially if they receive some kind of espionage mechanic.
    Relax.