test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Which faction would you play if they both had EQUAL content?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
If you have played the KDF faction you are probably aware they do not have nearly as much storyline content as the Feds. Some say this is the reason they have fewer players, while others say that it is simply the nature of the IP the game is based on. This raises the question:

Which faction would you play if they both had EQUAL content?

After you vote please share your thoughts :)

PS: please pass this poll along to your fleet so those who do not normally frequent the forums can give their feedback as well.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    definately both , i have a KDF character i started back before F2P hit , but never ultimately did much with due to . well , lack of things to do
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I voted, and given our earlier conversation you can easily guess which I voted for :)

Would be interesting to see the results, but of course it would have to be a survey done of potential STO players in order to prevent bias that may have occurred as a result of them already playing the game.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Have always played KDF in every trek game I've ever owned where I had a choice. Am unsure what content the Feds have in this game as I've only played enough to unlock the KDF toon, and on the verge of deleting the Fed guy to open a space for a new KDF toon. It would be nice if the KDF didn't level up so fast doing stupid 'walk arounds' of cities (first city, Bajor) but I guess it's the only way to get a KDF toon levelled up for end game with 1/3 of the content. Now I just have to grind DOFF missions so I can replace the 80+ red guys with greens or purples as the quick player level-ups have robbed me of the time I need to do all the missions necessary to earn quality DOFF's.

There's something wrong when a toon reaches max level in 2 weeks and still has a recruit crew.
    :eek:
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Both.

I play both now, because at L50 all endgame content is effectively equal.

And once you take the 3 or 4 hours to L20 on fedside, you are perma-unlocked KDF side.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I said both Equally. Though I guess it depends on your definition of equal.

If you discount the "Aliens" I have that are actually other factions not represented at the moment (Romulan, Jem'hadar etc), I have 9 Feds, to 3 KDF. Though one could call this the nature of Star Trek. Since the Federation has 150 members, many routinely shown in series/movies there is a lot of variety there.

Still, I love my Gorn, Orion and Klingon Toons just as much as my Human/Vulcan/Bajoran/etc. and play them all.

I would also Play a Romulan/Cardassian/Dominion faction if Cryptic ever decided it was worth doing.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    KDF, of course.

with the game's structure being what it is, I didn't even intend to do any KDF at all since I had to level up just to unlock the KDF. I would have gone KDF if I had the option, in all likelihood, but I didn't have the choice at first.

if I could have started as KDF from the beginning, I would have never bought any Starfleet stuff. big red flag for cryptic there.

the lack of kdf cstore options is the biggest issue with KDF at level 1. there is a self fulfilling prophecy with the underdevelopment of the KDF faction, and there is every reason to keep the status quo at best.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Here lately I have been playing mostly KDF. I do, however, still like to don the Starfleet uniform now and then. Ironicly, my favorite Fed character is an Alien Mercenary that mostly flys the Galor.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Voted on your poll :-). In my case i love playing the federation . . i just like the ships and i’ve always wanted to captain one, plus i can feel as though i’m following in the footsteps of childhood heroes . . lol. Although the klingons are cool, i’ve just always played federation in any star trek game i’ve owned . . perhaps i’d tryout the Klings just for the heck of it.

Although i don’t play klings . . i would still like to see more stuff for you guys if it’s as sparse as everyone talks about on the forums, as i think it’s important for all factions to enjoy the game and not feel as though they’re being over looked.

Heck i’d like to see more factions . .Rommies, Cardies, Jems e.t.c . . there is just such a rich pool to drink from in the world of trek, seems a shame there are only two races to choose from (Although you can create your own)
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Probably Klingon, if there was truly equal content at all times. And if the content was suitably "Klingon flavored" enough. That is, really, really immersed in Klingon culture and the like. (Yes, I realize that's somewhat vague, but I think Klingon fans will know what I mean.)
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Ive only ever played Klink, When I first started I got a fed toon to max lvl just to learn the game what
    works what doesnt then started my first klink ( you could actually start at lvl 6 fed then ) and after
    grinding to get him to max I deleted my fed toon and have never been back.........:cool:
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    My main is, of course, a Fed, but I had all but abandoned him for three KDF which I had some fun playing.

Then my interest started dying due to the rush fading and realizing how unsupported KDF is, stopped playing for a few months, then finally a week ago decided to just stop playing KDF and focus on Fed, since that's all Cryptic is going to support.

If KDF got full support, I'd go back to playing KDF. Not that that's ever going to happen.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Mainly KDF, some FED if it had been equal by the time I started with STO; that was my initial plan. full red side, maybe each now and then a look into fed. Now I too much into my fed fleet to go full kdf.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    The same one I signed up for, Klingon.
    From the first day I heard of the game in 2008, it's what I wanted.
    I was one of the suckers who believed what was said...
    August 10th, 2008 - At Gen Con Jack Emmert said: "Starfleet and Klingon. Yeah. So two factions, full PvE content."
    Finding out later I was FORCED to begin play as Fed was very dishearting.
    If there was no Federation play at all it wouldn't bother me.
    I have 5 KDF and 2 Fed. For over a year, I had zero Feds.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I would love it if the KDF had the content to level exclusively on. That said, I wish you poll had included more options since I've always had a huge interest in the Dominion, Cardassians(esp the Obsidian Order) and the Romulans more so than either the Fed or KDF.

As it currently stands, I currently have two fed and two KDF characters.

Some food for thought for cryptic: If they had other factions, they could easily bank on at least selling a ton of character slots.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Both but mainly kdf, feds where always to much of good doers for me. While kdf with its practicality appeals more to me.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I would do both pretty equally - with perhaps a bit of favoratism toward my Fed.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I have become an almost exclusively KDF player. I only play my Feds any more when team PvP demands it of me. Most of my Fed captains have been destroyed and recreated as KDF as a minor protest for the treatment of the KDF faction. I used to have ten Feds and four KDF, now those numbers are reversed.

Truth told I would rather play both equally. I would rather not feel a twinge of guilt whenever I log into a Fed toon for any length of time. I would rather not see my own play and purchase habits listed as a reason to hold back and or hinder the development of faction that was supposed to be on equal terms from launch, a faction that if it was on equal terms should increase revenue for the game overall, a faction that with a healthy population would increase the experience for all players, a faction that if it was to some degree done would make room for another palyer faction that would add even more to the play experience. In the end all I have is my conviction to keep me warm.

I voted that I would play both if they were on equal terms, because that is the truth.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Mainly KDF, some Fed.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Mainly KDF, with some FED.

It's strange. I do prefer the FED side lorewise, the klingons don't interest me much more than than FED other than a warrior race who use 'Honour' as a placeholder for 'whatever I wanna do, I can do it as long as i say its honourable', but... I like imagining my Lethean Character just cruising along the galaxy, not really caring too much for anything but still erring on the side of what is right. More of an anti-hero, something you can't do with FEDS since it'sgot more of a beaureaucratic feel to it that doesn't mix well with exploring the unknown and to get a ship on that side in the first place you have to be that by default.

Basically, I like the idea of my KDF crew just cruising around doing odd jobs for cash and experience.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Do I really need to explain why I would play KDF?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Roach wrote: »
    Do I really need to explain why I would play KDF?

well unlike you , some of us arent klingons in real life :D
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I only use my KDF when I farm. Even if it was a fully fleshed out faction, I doubt that it would change.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    i voted romulans - did i do it right? :o

i play both factions fairly equally now, so nothing would change for me no matter what they add.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I would play Romulans, Federation and Klingon and that is all! The other races are okay but these are the core races of Star Trek in my humble opinion since we can not play Romulans right now it would be Federation and Klingons!
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I would play both. Mostly like now. Though the Feds tend to get a bit more attention, simply because they have more options. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I only play KDF.

I have a fed toon but i just don't like the faction that much.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I have 5 Fed characters and 5 Klingon Characters. I enjoy playing them all. They are all different and all play differently. My "favorite" character changes from time to time. At the moment it is my Gorn character Sarsh. 2 weeks ago it was S'ynk my Vulcan Science character. So I guess it depends on what I'm doing at the time. I don't PVP but I have a number of fleet members who do and friends who do, so I understand their point of view for the imbalance between KDF and Fed there. I enjoy PVE on both sides equally though. Do wish the KDF had a few more missions. :cool:
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I play both factions equally now since it's mostly just stfs and coop games are the only thing to do endgame anyway, but here's how I look at this. Ignoring all the non endgame stuff both factions are pretty close right now. FEs with their FED-centric dialogues notwithstanding.

The leveling process is pretty fast now, I helped out my friend on his new kdf during a mirror event and he leveled up to almost max just from an hours worth. So it's not about earlier missions to level up with.

I do believe the KDF need more content but not content that goes backwards, what I believe in is content like FEs but with actual real effort in offering two viewpoints on the mission and not simply copy pasting the FED text to the KDF. I mean really my KDF boff should be unconcerned by ethical dilemmas and other FED thinking.

@tinman56 The FEDs should have an option to align with Section 31, I like the anti-hero feel of the KDF as well and would love to have that mood for the FEDs as well. I refuse to play my FED like a boyscout.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I would certainly play my KDF toons a lot more than I do if the faction was finished. I have two KDF toons, one at LG and one about to be a BG. By contrast I have 8 Fed toons, all but one at VA and that one will be soon. I would love to see the KDF finished if for nothing more than more variety of play! :)

EDIT I almost forgot to include my vote on the poll...I would play both equally (More KDF at first because of new content, but then both equaly)
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I would still play the federation because they have better ship designs, larger selection of playable races, and females for all of those species (though I kinda wish tellarite females remained an unseen mystery...)