2»

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    'vesta just a matter of time before announcment'

this pleases me greatly
    edited June 2012
    my coworkers were talking too loud to hear the interview properly, all i got out of it was: something something Klingons....something something throw them under the bus...something dead Targ.

bout what i expected
    edited June 2012
    In a recent interview, Dstahl was asked about the benefits of having a LT sub, and the only one he mentioned was the Foundry. He said:

There are a couple of issues I'd like clarification on based on the statements above, specifically the part I highlighted:

1) As you can already purchase foundry slots simply using dilithium, what benefit does being a LT sub provide you?

2) If you do not have a LT sub then is there some risk that your missions wont "be around forever"?

WOW! This makes no sense at all. The cost of entry into the foundry is very low. Right now gold or LT subs get 8 foundry slots. But silver can buy them for about 8000 dil for 2 slots (if it working. ) so that’s 4000Dil per slot. At 4000Dil with the current exchange rate of 320 dil to 1 cp. That is 12.5 c-points per foundry slot. (or 16 cents per slot.) (am I doing the math right?)

WOW big advantage! 16 cents per slot. that is $1.28 advantage to gold and LT subs. . I guess that is what Dan means by “no sweat off my back to offer that discount there.”

As for keeping missions around, as far as I know, if a mission is published it stays published not matter if you are silver, gold, or LT.... That is until a new patch is put out which automatically unpublishes all foundry mission and automatically republished them. ones that the new patch breaks are not published until the author manually fixes them. some mission have been lost because authors have not returned to the game to fix their missions.

I am calling shenanigans on this.
    edited June 2012
    As always P1 brings THE BEST STO News and info along with the funnies...Loving the new website keep up the awesome job...

The Interview with Mr. Stahl was awesome and gave some good n' bad news to my ears...

I was REALLY.. hoping to hear that the KDF would FINALLY get the attention it deserves by standing on it's own by going levels 1-50 and being able to choose it from the start and getting more content i.e. Costumes, ship bridges, FEs, BUG FIXES, Etc... but unfortunately the KDF got the "NO WORF" response and will continue to remain in the shadow of the Fed Side as a "end game" content. It disappoints and saddens me a bit, that the KDF will Probably not be equal to the Federation because of the statistics in numbers of Fed vs KDF players...and it's understandable that using lots of Resources and time vs little profit is a no no in a business like Cryptic.

However to use Statistics to compare the number of players on the KDF side to the people that dress up as Klingons vs Fed players and people in Star Fleet uniforms at conventions is unrealistic and narrow minded. In fact it did feel like I was slapped in the face beaten with a dead Targ and thrown under the bus because I like the KDF and want more for it. It's judging a book by it's cover In my opinion. I for one know several people who are die-hard Star Trek fans but have NO interest in playing an MMO-RPG even if it's a F2P Star Trek game. So because you don't see many people dressed as Klingons at a convention doesn't mean that there are not Klingon a lot fans out there. I don't go around dressed up as a Klingon or as a Fed for that matter, and in fact I've NEVER been to a convention but that doesn't mean that I'm not a passionate Star Trek Fan that enjoys everything about Star Trek.

When I 1st started playing STO I wanted to play the Klingon faction 1st and then the Fed side but when I found out that you had to play as a FED 1st then when you reach a certain level you could then play as a KDF but at level 20 i was disappointed but remained hopeful that the KDF would be changed, and main reason why i kept from playing a Klingon because i wanted to get the FULL experience like i did with the Fed side......but I guess now I have to play the KDF as "End Game Content"

Again, I understand that Cryptic is a business and it has to make a profit in order to continue to exist (which is why Lock boxes will always be around) but, if you talk about making STO a better social game and bringing people together by improving the content of the game and trying to bring in NEW people to a F2P STO then you have to at least give people (your Potential Paying Customers) the chance to choose IN THE BEGINNING......Faction A or B that are equal in content, and not HAVE to play Faction A to unlock Faction B to play it at Level 20.

Yes i know that in the TV shows and Movies and most of the books the focus has always been on the Federation....BUT THIS IS A GAME...with 2 playable factions....why tease people with a half baked Playable Faction and call it "End Game Content" and expect just as many people playing it as there are on the Fed side.

Remember folks, YOU are the Paying customer (rather you get a Lifer, Sub...or just Buy a Key for that lock box) You are paying with Real Money and or YOUR TIME which is even more precious In my honest opinion...in the very end YOU the Paying customer, decides WHAT YOU WANT IN THIS GAME...YOU the customer have the right to say: "I bring you my hard earned money and OR my precious time...Why should i invest it on your product? and will i get WHAT I WANT out of it?" Fed or KDF.

Just My 2 cents....thank your for your TIME :)

-Wolf
    edited June 2012
    I didn't buy anything from C-Store since pre F2P when the bid KDF Revamp was announced. Was good to do so since Cryptic seems not to deserve / want may monay as a KDF Fan.

DStahl and his folks seem to be so chained to PW to get the money for other ventures out of STO that investing into STO seems not to be a big option.
    edited June 2012

Any chance of getting this back on the Quantum Cafe since you don't seem to be able to run a website?
    edited June 2012
    Roach wrote: »
    Completness of game play is what we need so the KDF experience is fully cemented into STO, not equality with the feds.

The equality that I'm looking for is a feeling that here is a Beginning and an End .
    I don't need 50 levels on each side , but I do need Tutorial on both sides .

The fed gameplay experience will always continue to grow so we should not expect to equal it but the KDF experience is incomplete and unfocused in STO and needs to be brought full circle.

I find that there is a lack of focus on the Fed side as well , since the current idea is to create content that both sides can play .
    This idea is often unworkable , and creates missions that make little sense from the KDF pov , but it also restricts Fed mission creation because of the ever present "well the KDF have to play this too ... somehow" .
    edited June 2012
    greedo42 wrote:
    There will never be nearly as many KDF players. As Stahl says, this is borne out by the number of klingon fans at conventions, and other games.

Errrm , there was a Klingon specific PC game called "Star Trek: Klingon (PC Game 1996 by Simon & Schuster)" .
    Can Mr. Stahl confirm that that game sold 16-18% of other Star Trek games ?
    Didn't think so . :cool:

I hope we can all stop beating the dead Targ and move forward with more realistic expectations.

Sorry , but this Targ is still gnawing at Cryptic's knee caps . :)
    edited June 2012
    Aelfwin wrote: »
    Errrm , there was a Klingon specific PC game called "Star Trek: Klingon (PC Game 1996 by Simon & Schuster)" .
    Can Mr. Stahl confirm that that game sold 16-18% of other Star Trek games ?
    Didn't think so . :cool:

One out of how many? The Starfleet Commands had multi-faction. Birth of the Federation had multi-faction. I'd argue both those were easy cosmetic changes. Armada, that terrible TMP ground pc game were multi. But how many played those other factions? I dabbled across all.

Bridge Commander, Star Trek 25th, The three across Nintendo systems, Legacy, Dominon Wars, Elite Force, that Away Team one that dealt with the Feds having holoship tech, and of course Starfleet Academy. All Federation oriented.

It would be interesting to see how the two Academies faired to each other.
    edited June 2012
    At least I can say although I liked both Academy titels the Klingon one was the better.
    edited June 2012
    Please Stand By...
    Our Priority One engineering team is working full tilt to repair our new site, thank you everyone for your patience, keep an eye on our Facebook Page, http://www.facebook.com/PriorityOnePodcast and twitter @stopriorityone for updates.
    edited June 2012
    Aelfwin wrote: »
    The equality that I'm looking for is a feeling that here is a Beginning and an End .
    I don't need 50 levels on each side , but I do need Tutorial on both sides .
    I agree.

I find that there is a lack of focus on the Fed side as well , since the current idea is to create content that both sides can play .
    This idea is often unworkable , and creates missions that make little sense from the KDF pov , but it also restricts Fed mission creation because of the ever present "well the KDF have to play this too ... somehow" .
    I can see that the fedside may be unfocused in grand scheme of the STO timeline but it still attempts to try to answer those questions of "why" the player is in the situatuon that he/she exist in STO.
    The KDF faction, while having excellent qaulity missions fails to asnwer even the simplest questions of why the player and the Empire is at war. Much less any of the reasoning behind the Undine hunt, the Gorn/Orion alliances, etc.
    Giving reason to the missing elements would go a long way to helping the immersion of the players of both factions.
    A tutorial that covers why the Empire is rolling out record numbers of starships
    Low level missions that set the stage for why we are fighting the federation on the premise of the KDF invading Romulan space
    Low level missions that set the stage for the Undine hunt without regard to factional sovernity.
    Missions that cover houser versus house intrigue so the KvK ques make sense and the Novak (KDF ker'rat system) exists.
    Possibly if the Devs are up to it a series of missions that cover whats really up with the rise of J'mpok and the ouse of Duras versus the house of martok.

Overall though STO has low immersion factors and it needs to correct this with story, not the next "fluff" item to snatched by the playerbase.
    edited June 2012
    Just FYI, those four solutions were the solutions I was saying DIDN'T WORK as solutions. :-)

I wasn't acrediting the idea for them on you, as I know they where just examples that have been given by other sources.
    I was giving my opinion on what I thought of them though.
    My apoligies if I strayed into sounding more accusitory towards you then I intended with my opinions.
    edited June 2012
    A polling firm canvased conventions years ago. It also lined up with Perpetual's numbers.

If this is the poll your referring to, it doesnt seem to suggest what you think it does:

http://gaming.trekcore.com/startrekonline/dd8.html
    edited June 2012
    In fact, I did a poll before launch and before people had any idea that the KDF would have less content and 70% still wanted to play Fed:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=15931

Which still makes the question why arent more people playing KDF, your poll said 30% would and now we have less than 20%, i would be wondering who is responsible for that other 10%?
    edited June 2012
    SeanNewBoy wrote: »
    Which still makes the question why arent more people playing KDF, your poll said 30% would and now we have less than 20%, i would be wondering who is responsible for that other 10%?

That poll was before the announcement that the KDF would be a "PvP focused" faction, so I assume they were people who wanted to play a fully finished faction.
    edited June 2012
    Exactly my point, build it and they will come, put up a facade and they just keep on travelling.
    edited June 2012
    SeanNewBoy wrote: »
    Exactly my point, build it and they will come, put up a facade and they just keep on travelling.

I am saying that Cryptic does not believe in that argument and will never be convinced by that argument.

It is time to find a new argument and a new strategy.

Cryptic isn't saying they won't do anything KDF related.

Stahl IS pretty much ruling out ever building on that argument.

They are not BUILDING things for people to come at this point.

They are building things for people who are here.

You may be right. That argument is unproductive. Cryptic has rejected that argument. Cryptic is not persuaded by that argument. Cryptic will be skeptical of any proof you can drum up for that argument. That argument is dead.

They will not do anything for the KDF, period, built on that argument.

As Stahl aludes in his interview, they may (and will, with costumes) be adding Klingon features based on other strategies and other arguments.

But Cryptic will not be building things to attract Klingon players specifically. That's been pretty much declared dead. If that is important to you that they embrace that idea, I think it might be time to walk away.

At best, they will build things to attract players in general and if they happen to be Klingon, then great.

I think KDF can expect a certain amount of artwork. Things like their Fleet Starbases. The odd new ship.

But that's IT as far as unique content. The door is closed on that. Anything content wise will be offered to Feds as well and the KDF version will be a thematic skin. A very pretty thematic skin, maybe a new power console.

But they cannot, will not expend serious resources on the KDF beyond upkeep. They are saying it is done aside from access to new and interesting faction agnostic content and they are ruling out anything sweeping, at the moment, to grow it.

And the idea that it can be grown by content infusion is being rejected. Period. Flat out. Pretty much said that if it could be done, it wouldn't be worth the expense, maybe even if it could double the KDF playerbase. It has been evaluated. It has been ruled out. There is likely no argument current management at Cryptic will accept... and I'm assuming this is the kind of thing that had to go through Stahl, Jack, Zinc, D'Angelo, Hindol Datta, and the guys at PWE... Maybe even the folks at the parent company in China.

Jack Emmert and Dan Stahl used to use the argument you're using, the "Build it and they will come" approach. Although I think they had trouble getting that message across. And that message is now dead and for Dan to state what he has stated, that means that Dan, Jack, Zinc, D'Angelo, Datta, and PWE are pretty much professionally united against the "Build it and they will come" philosophy for KDF or in general.

At this point, it's "Build it relative to who's here, without excluding anybody if it can be helped." They are no longer building content to attract people. They are building content for existing players, based on the cost effectiveness of developing for existing players. And any new Klingon content will be based around this model and new arguments, not specifically trying to radically increase the number of Klingon players.

They are satisfied with what they have versus what they could have, having looked at the cost of completing things.

I want more KDF content. I think Stahl wants more KDF content. I think it will not get done using the argument players on these forums are using. Find a different argument for it.
    edited June 2012
    The Cryptic should be so honest and rename the game in great public to Starfleet Online, period.
    Every otherthing is simply untrue.

For me DStahl and his predecessor will always be the guys who killed the KDF, nothing more nothing less.
    edited June 2012
    I want to point out, specifically, that Dan did indicate that a new mission featuring Klingons will introduce new costumes.

So it's not like we won't see J'mpok, the Fek'Ihiri, Kahless, Worf, etc. in missions. Or missions that are totally Klingon themed. They just won't be KDF missions that are exclusive to KDF players on a regular basis with some kind of goal involving growing the KDF.

We could probably easily get something like a "Return to Gre'thor" STF or Vault-style event. That map is begging for it.

It simply won't be KDF exclusive. That's been ruled out.

It's clearly not worth making anything exclusive as part of an initiative to grow the faction in the opinion of Cryptic management, collectively. That doesn't mean that's what any individuals want. That doesn't mean nothing KDF themed gets made.

It really just means that it won't be exclusive or built on the initiative of creating exclusive KDF content to grow the faction.
    edited June 2012
    Then this game is Starfleet Online, nothing more nothing less. The FE on KDF side do not even feel close to having Klingon point of view.

Sorry, the occasional bone from the Devs isn't enought to keep the KDF alive.
    With the actual state of affairs the KDF will be relegated to unsuccesfull monster play. Something it does not deserve.
    edited June 2012
    Hawks wrote: »
    The Cryptic should be so honest and rename the game in great public to Starfleet Online, period.
    Every otherthing is simply untrue.

For me DStahl and his predecessor will always be the guys who killed the KDF, nothing more nothing less.

Dstahl was in a band that did Klingon songs. He was the one who started leaking info about the KDF before launch, the ONLY one to tell players that they would be disappointed because a full faction wasn't ready. This guy has fought for a full faction. He fought for it when PWE came onboard too, trying to appeal to them as PvP game designers to get funding that the numbers they DID have did not support.

It has been ruled out. I think we're looking at the kind of resource expenditure where one person cannot make this call, where two people cannot make this call. If Dan did anything else, he'd be out of a job and replaced by somebody else who would adhere to the numbers they have that are guiding their decision.

And, again, it's not the end of KDF content. It is the end of KDF exclusive content in large part -- although there are clearly things that will be KDF flavored like DOff assignments and starbases and the occasional ship in the C-Store. It's the exclusivity that is not cost effective.

We could get new Klingon missions. They just won't be faction locked.

And it may be burying the lead somewhat. I get the impression that Fed exclusive missions aren't likely to be substantially that common either.vWhen was the last time we got one of those?

Sure, Cryptic isn't targeting 20% of their playerbase for growth. But I think it might be the case that 80% is too small a number to target as well (although harder to justify ignoring). The goal, going forward, seems to me to be social content that targets 100% of the userbase, ignoring faction.

There are ways to spin this. There are ways to work with it, as someone who wants KDF content. Clinging to an argument that has been completely shot down by people who have made their final call after lots of handwringing is NOT the way to get that content.
  • pweapers#8079 pweapers Member, Administrator Posts: 6 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2012
    I love this podcast!
    Only a fool quotes himself - pweap
  • elijahmreelijahmre Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Hey Folks!

I'm terribly sorry for the downtime! Fortunately, we have regained antimatter containment and the Warp Core is stable! Please visit:

www.priorityonepodcast.com

Enjoy the show!

And please... spread the word!

-Elijah
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Only the endgame content is slated to be agnostic and not set to one faction.

The KDF still need to be completed and set as a full faction after the endgame content is settled.

If Dan Stahl is such the KDF hero and is fighting for the factions completion he needs to fight harder or go back to his sensei and learn some new moves, becuase its not doing diddly but pushing away the fanbase thats tired of waiting on that growth and completion.

And the phrase " there will be new KDF content it just won't be KDF exclusive" is a dumb as stumps. The game has already shown that if its not KDf exclusive for the KDF then its fed-centric and makes little sens e for the KDF.
    We KDf fans can get used to that in a endgame,FE, STF standpoint sinc ethe feds have to be hand held it seems to feel special in the game that un abashedly caters primarily to them as the revenue stream, but for KDF faction content it makes no sense that anything cranked out by the Devs to help complete the faction would have any lean but towards the KDF.

The Prima Donna attitude of the primarily fed based fans is why many Klingon fans gave the single finger salute to STO back in CB when the surprise of "sorry the KDF is mainly PvP" announcement went out and also why many have slowly left in the mean time. They knew that a complete showing for the KDF would never exist and we fans would be left to dwindle.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P